Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott allegedly involved in nightclub fight

Post by Coastalraider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 8, 2021, 5:03 pm So Hodgson and Papa have leapt to the defence of Scott.

Along with Williams and Tapine is this the “no buy in” crew?

If so, kind of concerning when 4 of your best players are the ones not buying in.
Where has this leaping occurred?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 8, 2021, 7:35 pm Where has this leaping occurred?
They were asked about a team mate and didnt **** bus the guy that might end up back in the sqaud 2 weeks from now :lol:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: June 8, 2021, 7:36 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 8, 2021, 7:35 pm Where has this leaping occurred?
They were asked about a team mate and didnt **** bus the guy that might end up back in the sqaud 2 weeks from now :lol:
Ahhh... so nothing then. Carry on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL integrity unit still assessing Curtis Scott Kokomo's incident

The NRL integrity unit have spoken to Curtis Scott and there could be a final call on any possible sanctions the Canberra Raiders centre might face by next week on an alleged nightclub fight. Then the Raiders board will decide if they want to take any further action themselves.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

No police involvement so I think he’ll survive. Last chance though…
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote: June 11, 2021, 4:33 pm No police involvement so I think he’ll survive. Last chance though…
I think he'll survive too but surely a club like the Roosters or Storm would be a bit more ruthless with somebody in his position. He hasn't been producing all that much on field so I don't see why we should back him here... he was already meant to be on his best behaviour. If you **** up off field but you've been doing your job on field then I think the club should give you a chance but if you aren't meeting your performance targets on field either then see you later imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The way this is being reported makes me believe the club is going to sack him.
GE already highlighted the stronger wording than normal in their press release regarding his situation

And each time a report comes out, im finding wording like the above
"Then the Raiders board will decide if they want to take any further action themselves."

That reads to me like the reporter has been told by someone in the club that there is going to be more to this than just taking what the NRL hand down and moving on. The club has it's own say in this and seems to me they are making that known
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea even if they don't feel they have grounds to sack him i reckon they could well tell him his time is up and he wont be playing first grade ever again.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’m extremely confident they have grounds to terminate the contract if that’s what they want to do.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Let's assume for a moment that it's not serious enough for the nrl to sanction him but the club has grounds to sack him. Would you?

I'm not sure. On football performances alone I reckon he has been solid for the most part this year. Unless there was a genuinely better prospect available i reckon we stick by him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If the club doesn’t like the contract and think they’d rather not have him, you sack him

If the club is happy with the contract and think he’s a player they want going forward, you keep him
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 11, 2021, 5:36 pm If the club doesn’t like the contract and think they’d rather not have him, you sack him

If the club is happy with the contract and think he’s a player they want going forward, you keep him
All been pretty quiet so far. Stood down though...

Almost feels like polite inquiries are being made out there...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2021, 5:44 pm
Botman wrote: June 11, 2021, 5:36 pm If the club doesn’t like the contract and think they’d rather not have him, you sack him

All been pretty quiet so far. Stood down though...

Almost feels like polite inquiries are being made out there...
Agree with you both…
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Get him in the cannon already
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I feel what the police do is irrelevant here.

It was clearly him in the footage. If Mona's gets sacked for a dog licking his jatz crackers, our management will do whatever it wants with Scott for bringing the club into disrepute.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

julian87 wrote:I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
Hahaha, this hits deep. So True!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hard not to think the longer this plays out the more likely he stays. I did say a while ago my gut feel was that we will see him stay on. No reason to drag it out if they wanted him gone.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

julian87 wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:03 am I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
Matt Orford says hi
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:Hard not to think the longer this plays out the more likely he stays. I did say a while ago my gut feel was that we will see him stay on. No reason to drag it out if they wanted him gone.
Probably getting their ducks in a row to make sure it can't be challenged

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:03 am Hard not to think the longer this plays out the more likely he stays. I did say a while ago my gut feel was that we will see him stay on. No reason to drag it out if they wanted him gone.
C'mon now, it has been less than a week!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Like 40% of me wants us to keep him just to see everyone lose their minds 🤣
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other pointer is... no comment, as far as I can see from Ricky Stuart yesterday. No comment in almost a week. Ricky is the first to come out and defend a player if he believes the player has been up front with him and owning a mistake or there are some sort of extenuating circumstances. Not telling the club, which seems to be the case here, will be the biggest issue.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think the Raiders will sack him if the NRL deregister him for continued poor behaviour.

If the incident is not even pursued by the Police or a complainent it may not be enough of an issue to warrant serious punishment.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

No victim, no police action, I’m not sure there is much coming to strengthen the case against him. We have all speculated there would have been behavioural clauses in his contract that could have been enacted by now so I’m not sure the delay unless there is a view to keep him or as TW suggests it’s a conservative process to ensure no holes. In terms of timing if they pulled the trigger last week, players would have had the bye weekend to get over it and by now the world has moved on. By waiting we cop another round of headlines, some further potential discontent in the group and a lengthened road to recovery. I’m adding 1 and 1 and getting an answer that says he’s staying. Maybe Timoko’s performance tonight might be an influence one way or the other.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

^I wondered that too. We've seemed to come out the other side of the GWilly saga, somehow, without a revolt or overhead projector moment. Could be risky to punt another relatively popular member of the team so soon
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Doesn't need a police charge for a contract to be terminated. It's about breaching the code of behaviour e.g. cruisers on the roof instead of attending a recovery session, bubblers in a public toilet etc.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:25 am Doesn't need a police charge for a contract to be terminated. It's about breaching the code of behaviour e.g. cruisers on the roof instead of attending a recovery session, bubblers in a public toilet etc.
That’s my point, the code breach has been there for a week or so if the club wanted to act. There is nothing coming to strengthen the case. If we haven’t pulled the trigger by now we are either being super cautious about how we do it or increasing more likely we are keeping him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm hearing it's taking so long they are considering extending his contract for 2 years to properly figure out the termination.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Raiders666 wrote:
julian87 wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:03 am I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
Matt Orford says hi
Orford is different. He was just broken down. This guy has come in and got himself in “Wrong place, wrong time” scandals since day dot. I would say there’s a case for him being one of the worst.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:26 am The other pointer is... no comment, as far as I can see from Ricky Stuart yesterday. No comment in almost a week. Ricky is the first to come out and defend a player if he believes the player has been up front with him and owning a mistake or there are some sort of extenuating circumstances. Not telling the club, which seems to be the case here, will be the biggest issue.
This is the most telling part for me…
Ricky’s silence…the lawyers must be looking at it…
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

HSS is back in full training... Be a power move to just stall it until HSS had a reggies game or two under his belt and THEN sack him...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:35 am
greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:26 am The other pointer is... no comment, as far as I can see from Ricky Stuart yesterday. No comment in almost a week. Ricky is the first to come out and defend a player if he believes the player has been up front with him and owning a mistake or there are some sort of extenuating circumstances. Not telling the club, which seems to be the case here, will be the biggest issue.
I think it would only be a small part of it. I said early on after this situation came to light that surely the club added some conditions to his agreement/contract after the drunken Sydney incident.

I think the delay on a decision is also due to seeing how other pieces fall in player / cap management. We get Dufty over the line and CNK agrees for a move to the centres then he could be shown the door. We miss out on Dufty and/or CNK isn't on board with moving from fullback then the club might not get rid of him.

This is kind of what Botman is talking about with these types of team / player business decisions. As a club we've learnt the hard way not to cut players on morale high ground, if it's not in the best interests of the team.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hard to defend the indefensible - I’m guessing Ricky is very annoyed and likely thinks Scott is a tool. He’s not going to burn his own credibility backing this guy. But he also hasn’t gone hard condemning him. As far as controversy goes this isn’t front page of the telly and it’s slipping along quietly under the radar. I’m tipping the club will wait till the build up to origin 2 when everyone is looking elsewhere to make a short announcement about a fine, some reform work and backdated ban and Mr Scott will be in the 4 jumper mid July.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:06 pm
Hard to defend the indefensible - I’m guessing Ricky is very annoyed and likely thinks Scott is a tool. He’s not going to burn his own credibility backing this guy. But he also hasn’t gone hard condemning him. As far as controversy goes this isn’t front page of the telly and it’s slipping along quietly under the radar. I’m tipping the club will wait till the build up to origin 2 when everyone is looking elsewhere to make a short announcement about a fine, some reform work and backdated ban and Mr Scott will be in the 4 jumper mid July.
Sounds about right based on the fact he’s back training..