Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Jeesh that was an absolute thesis of an effort "not" bagging the club.

Read between the lines. It is so easy to hose down a line of questioning from a journalist but on 3 or 4 occasions this year Hodgson has either explicitly or implicitly been on the on the opposite side of the ledger from the club's position.

There has clearly been a falling out with him and the club and it hasn't been fully resolved yet. It probably won't get resolved either unless and until he is given a long term contract extension on comparable money and terms and conditions which includes a mortgage on the 9 jersey.
Up The Milk
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

Makes sense Scott would make the claim it was leaked by the club but doesn't make it true.

Fact is he is on his second club in 1st grade, has a history he would rather forget and knows the perception of his ability to change is low.

Only chance at any redemption is to play the victim, so smart to play the tune of Johnny and George.

Also it was journos firing the question back at the Raiders to confirm the incident last year, which they conceded and did.

As for the support for mental health issues, if they are offering to keep him in club paid recovery services then their obligations are upheld.
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 4:49 pm Jeesh that was an absolute thesis of an effort "not" bagging the club.

Read between the lines. It is so easy to hose down a line of questioning from a journalist but on 3 or 4 occasions this year Hodgson has either explicitly or implicitly been on the on the opposite side of the ledger from the club's position.

There has clearly been a falling out with him and the club and it hasn't been fully resolved yet. It probably won't get resolved either unless and until he is given a long term contract extension on comparable money and terms and conditions which includes a mortgage on the 9 jersey.
Exactly... read between the lines and it's clear. There were also comments he made earlier in the year after getting benched that indicated he wasn't happy. Between all that and dropping the captaincy, it's not looking good.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah look, I’m sure this just an isolated issue between Hodgson and the club.

It’s definitely not that he’s one of many in the club who are sick and **** tired of the way this club airs it’s dirty laundry to prominent media personalities

Don’t worry, Hodgson will be gone in 2022 and then it’ll all be juuuuust fine.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 5:02 pm Yeah look, I’m sure this just an isolated issue between Hodgson and the club.

It’s definitely not that he’s one of many in the club who are sick and **** tired of the way this club airs it’s dirty laundry to prominent media personalities

Don’t worry, Hodgson will be gone in 2022 and then it’ll all be juuuuust fine.
I know you're being sarcastic but this might actually be the best chance at making sure things are juuuust fine.

A declining 2x-ACL riddled, soon to be off contract Hodgson can't take on Ricky, DFJ, the Board and the Queanbeyan Leagues Club and expect to pull off a successful revolution, no matter how many fans wish that he could.

On the other hand there is a chance that the immediate discontent in the club (if it in fact exists) can be quelled by moving Hodgson on.

If my interest as a fan was predicated on the club being professionally run I reckon I would have handed in my supporters card somewhere around the nappy changing comments from Mcintyre circa 2012.

We could wait our whole lives waiting for this club to modernise; heck we could form a caravan of no confidence and march down to Q-Town to protest and it wouldn't make much difference at all.

It seems that the best we can hope for is that toxic elements are removed wherever they are identified and one day the club wins a chip in spite of its management — irrespective of whether the management is the root cause of the toxicity in the first place.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hodgson isn’t the toxic element
The club and its culture driven by the coach is

Removing Hodgson and other malcontents might settle things down for a while but if the club and particularly the HC continues to operating the manner they are now, new malcontents will continue to emerge

But yes, sadly I think you are probably right. Given we are no chance of moving on from the root cause, our best hope is indeed your last paragraph

This is why we can’t have nice things
cblee.aus
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by cblee.aus »

Botman wrote:Hodgson isn’t the toxic element
The club and its culture driven by the coach is

Removing Hodgson and other malcontents might settle things down for a while but if the club and particularly the HC continues to operating the manner they are now, new malcontents will continue to emerge

But yes, sadly I think you are probably right. Given we are no chance of moving on from the root cause, our best hope is indeed your last paragraph

This is why we can’t have nice things
Bye Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Honestly there's 2 options- a coach/ceo cleanout or a player cleanout.

Both work, only one is likely to happen.

So as Mickey says, Hodgo who is a clear second best hooker soaking up 750k a year can **** right off and be part of the cleanout if he likes.. This window is closed. He won't be part of the next one. He's not our best hooker or a locks elbow.

If he forces the call, let it happen and move on all the dead wood (Croker et al) and start again. Because whining players who can't see that a bloke earning 400k who embarrassed himself and the club (plead guilty) within months of joining, then physically assaulted a colleague at a function (hello, is anyone else still employed?) then drags the club again with another criminal charge... Yeah if you can't see that bloke deserves a "fresh start" then you're not part of the culture we need.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's the same thing, a player thinking he's bigger than the club and can dictate terms. Regardless who's at fault it's unsustainable. Hodgson's clearly just playing for himself now rather than the club/coach, and it shows. He'll struggle to get any contract though if he keeps up recent performances

Ricky should have never given the players freedom to pick their own rotations etc. The irony of Stick is that despite his persona, he desperately wants to be liked
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Why would Canberra not leak the Bateman story. It adds more ammunition to the sacking.

And imo everyone should know that the bloke acted like a peanut and hurt his employer (well not really because the team was always undoubtedly better without him in it) in doing so by causing himself injury. It should be public knowledge. For fans. For potential employers. Etc etc

I’ve been brushing over this apologies if I’m missing something here
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Because it’s not how professional organisations should conduct themselves.

It shows that this club won’t keep matters settled behind close doors if they have the opportunity to bury you on the way out unnecessarily.

Which sows a great deal of mistrust between players and club hierarchy. Which then creates a very toxic culture, and will limit the ability for the players to buy in to what the hierarchy are trying to build and undoubtedly impacts on field performance, particularly when the leaks are coming from the HC the who asks you to trust him, and believe in his vision and belief in you as a team, player and person.

It’s impossible for any rational person to look at what is going on at the club off the field this year with its playing group being at odds with the club and divorce that from the poor on the field performances of this year.

Anyone wanting to tell me those issues aren’t directly related, and I’ll ask a simple question in return - stupid or liar?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: August 24, 2021, 6:02 pm Why would Canberra not leak the Bateman story. It adds more ammunition to the sacking.

And imo everyone should know that the bloke acted like a peanut and hurt his employer (well not really because the team was always undoubtedly better without him in it) in doing so by causing himself injury. It should be public knowledge. For fans. For potential employers. Etc etc

I’ve been brushing over this apologies if I’m missing something here
I actually thought Hodgo was very considered, appropriate and genuine in his choice of words. I don’t think he would be alone in the views he expressed. No denying Curtis did dumb things. It happens - at some stage we’ve all regretted throwing hand moisturiser at others. Curtis got what Curtis deserved. The club hasn’t handled this sacking, the Williams release, the Bateman or BJ situations well.

It is the job of Don Furner and Ricky to make hard calls. I’d call the Curtis situation a fairly easy call to be honest. The discussion with Croker when it happens is likely to be harder.

In any case you have a squad of players that you would hope and expect are all very close that are observing the respect and dignity that is shown to their mates when their time is up in green. Be that a long time favourite son like Jarrod, a bloke that couldn’t quite cut it like Caleb Aekens or a troubled soul like Curtis. All very different situations but all owed the respect and dignity you’d would hope will be extended to you as a player when your own time comes.

Players might be annoyed with a decision and lash out on social media. As Botman has very nicely explained the football club is a big enough institution to wear that for the 2 days it attracts any interest. But when this big institution decides to play in the mud it is a terrible look and it erodes trust in the group and a leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the players who remain friends with the player who is being kicked about in the media.

I admire the parochial support and North Korean like view that the club can do no wrong but surely with a bit of reflection you’d have to agree as a club we need to stop being so insecure and petty and do better by our players.

Donny and Rick need to focus less on the relationships with Kenty, Hoops and Buzz and more on building trust with the guys they are asking to bleed green every week.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Two very good responses!

I guess this fella just clouds my judgement. Was obvious to me from the very first rumor of his signing that it was a horrendous idea so I’ll die being stacked against him and his signing. I’ll go to my grave believing Leilua to Scott was the premiership window being boarded over.

Very ordinary player. Way overpaid. Obvious off field issues. And all of those things just completely **** 20-21. Not exclusively at all but it’s been an absolute **** show since the club signed him.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:
Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:06 pm
cat wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:00 pm Where is the benefit it leaking this stuff for the raiders club?
They're leaking it to try and win PR battles over these departures
These players are painting themselves in the media as having been hard done by, the club and Stuart in particular is too insecure and petty to tolerate being painted as a bad guy, so they leak details they shouldn't to sway public opinion and paint themselves as the victims.

And it reflects poorly on Stuart and the club.
If that was the real case they would be "leaking " stories about how we supported Jack and how he has changed his life, how we supported Seb with mental health

I honestly believe its the players managers
So are you saying Curtis’ manager had the idea to leak the story that his player was involved in a brawl at a function, fractured his hand, which made him miss a few games… and this won’t put his client in a bad light?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Bot I usually agree with you but am struggling this time. Club is bigger than players; once senior players get a sniff that they’re in control, it only ends poorly.

When was the last time any of the blokes who have whinged this year have taken responsibility and said, my form is ****, I’m getting older and I can’t match it with some of the younger guys anymore etc.

Cause that’s the real problem; players being paid big money to perform and just aren’t consistently.

I’m sick of hearing about anti vax stances, how good a bloke curtis is or gwilly is, how the coach plays favourites, sick of hearing players wives publicly admonish the club cause hubby has been benched, sick of hearing about wage demands in our first gf week in 25 years etc etc.

I’ll take the club, its history, its players who won championships over this bro culture, player power-play bs that tries to shift blame, make excuses and cover for each other and their overpaid / under-performance garbage.
Last edited by greeneyed on August 24, 2021, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not avoid the swearing filter.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Old School Green wrote: August 24, 2021, 6:46 pm Bot I usually agree with you but am struggling this time. Club is bigger than players; once senior players get a sniff that they’re in control, it only ends poorly.

When was the last time any of the blokes who have whinged this year have taken responsibility and said, my form is ****, I’m getting older and I can’t match it with some of the younger guys anymore etc.

Cause that’s the real problem; players being paid big money to perform and just aren’t consistently.

I’m sick of hearing about anti vax stances, how good a bloke curtis is or gwilly is, how the coach plays favourites, sick of hearing players wives publicly admonish the club cause hubby has been benched, sick of hearing about wage demands in our first gf week in 25 years etc etc.

I’ll take the club, its history, its players who won championships over this bro culture, player power-play bs that tries to shift blame, make excuses and cover for each other and their overpaid / under-performance garbage.
Post content to username correlation: 100%
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The club is bigger than the coach too.

Imagine for a moment being a player, constantly listening to Ricky spew **** at you about culture, sticking together, bunker mentality, bleeding green, pride in the jersey, us against the world, telling you that's what he's about, that's what he wants you to be about, that this club is a family and if we all just stick together and put in the work. and have each others backs, that good things will come

imagine sitting in the team meeting room with him spouting that nonsense when you know he's leaking every bit of dirty laundry that happens in the family to his mates in the media so they can bury you if things go south?

Anyone who's work for a **** boss knows how quickly you check on that **** and how it breeds a very toxic and unproductive workplace.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel your pain Old School - I won’t speak for Bot but I agree with you that the culture is not where it needs to be for success. I don’t think there is a suggestion that the players have it sorted and the coach and CEO need to get with the program. I think the club needs a culture reset and an improvement of standards across the board and generally in an organisation that needs to start at the top. The leaders set the standards. I pointed out earlier the double standard of Curtis being a bad boy for not reporting a punch on to the club but the club thinking it is okay not to report a different punch on to the NRL. Culture starts with trust and the club doing this dumb stuff in the media is eroding creating distrust.

All those examples you’ve listed are frustrations I share but they only get fixed when someone shows true leadership, and sets a standard.

Look at our premiership teams - embarrassing talent, but strong leadership at the Board level, in the coaching box and in the playing group.

Does someone want to do some analysis on the success or otherwise the club has enjoyed with Donny as CEO? Won’t be pretty!
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 6:56 pm The club is bigger than the coach too.

Imagine for a moment being a player, constantly listening to Ricky spew **** at you about culture, sticking together, bunker mentality, bleeding green, pride in the jersey, us against the world, telling you that's what he's about, that's what he wants you to be about, that this club is a family and if we all just stick together and put in the work. and have each others backs, that good things will come

imagine sitting in the team meeting room with him spouting that nonsense when you know he's leaking every bit of dirty laundry that happens in the family to his mates in the media so they can bury you if things go south?

Anyone who's work for a **** boss knows how quickly you check on that **** and how it breeds a very toxic and unproductive workplace.
Is he a **** boss because he calls out underperformance of well paid players? I’d call that a good boss?

Not pretending stick doesn’t have challenges; but until these players consistently do their job that they are capable of and that they are handsomely remunerated for, I’m not entertaining the ‘it’s all Ricky’s fault, Sack Ricky and all our ills are cured’ line.
Last edited by greeneyed on August 24, 2021, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not avoid the swearing filter.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I vote Botman for CEO - pack your bags Donny!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Old School Green wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:01 pm

Is he a **** boss because he calls out underperformance of well paid players? I’d call that a good boss?

Not pretending stick doesn’t have challenges; but until these players consistently do their job that they are capable of and that they are handsomely remunerated for, I’m not entertaining the ‘it’s all Ricky’s fault, Sack Ricky and all our ills are cured’ line.
He's a **** boss because he doesnt practice what he preaches. He's constantly undermining his own ethos with his playing group in favour of feeding information to his mates in the media.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Billy Walker wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:02 pm I vote Botman for CEO - pack your bags Donny!
Lol could be a winner!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:04 pm
Old School Green wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:01 pm

He's a **** boss because he doesnt practice what he preaches. He's constantly undermining his own ethos with his playing group in favour of feeding information to his mates in the media.
According to Buzz just then…Scott’s people confirmed the rumour :hmmm
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Old School - hard conversations between coaches and players need to be had every week but that is where they need to stay. They don’t need to make NRL 360 for everyone to know Ricky think Papa needs to find old Papa or whatever the helm that was.

In the recent Ricky documentary he spoke himself at the hurt when he was told his time in green was up and he moved to the doggies. The club at the time didn’t run a narrative through Rex Mossip to justify why they thought it best to cut him rather than Laurie or Ruben. It was a tough call, we can debate whether it was the right call but it was a discussion between Ricky and the club. That is how these things need to be.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: :lol:
Good luck to anyone niave enough to buy that ****.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Paul Kent **** buried Buzz. Imagine the booze hound being the only **** defending him 😂😂😂
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

So does buzz hate ricky or does he cover for him? It's hard to keep track these days.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:13 pm :lol: :lol:
It's spelt 'naive' you fool.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:36 pm
Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:13 pm :lol: :lol:
It's spelt 'naive' you fool.
Ill take a typo over being a fool enough to buy this nonsense that this story wasnt leaked by the Raiders. No one with functional brain cells could buy that ****.

We'll keep seeing this cylce happen and real fools will keep excuse the club for their role until the club decides they're really about culture.
Scott will go to court on the assault. If he's found not guilty he'll have some case for wrongful dismissal but i dont believe that comes under the cap anyways, so i couldnt give a **** if he gets some of the QBN mafia's pokie money

Stuart needs to get his own house in order if he's to get his sqaud in a position to get back to contending. It's a simple as that.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Scott is playing 4D chess by leaking against himself to make the club's decision to sack him look more justified.

None of you are on his level so wouldn't understand.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Schifty wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:01 pm Scott is playing 4D chess by leaking against himself to make the club's decision to sack him look more justified.

Mate this bloke is on the verge of getting paid 400k a year, by 2 different football clubs to actually NOT to play football for them (while he looks for a third) + his goddam off season side hustle with the NSW Police is worth 100k!

Nobody is on his level.
Last edited by BadnMean on August 24, 2021, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote:Scott is playing 4D chess by leaking against himself to make the club's decision to sack him look more justified.

But I thought Ricky was the 4d master?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Just realized I've been blocked by Curt on Instagram, which is a shame.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Nice of some people in here to be dying on a hill over Stuart leaking the internal fight when they don't actually know anything, because 'it makes sense'.

Sure, it could absolutely be true, but there are some other explanations that aren't particularly implausible being rejected off-hand because minds are already made up. We'd all decided that Scott was guilty-as-sin of assaulting police before the tape came out, too. Internet certainty =/= reality.

I saw comments here a few pages back that a poster had heard about the Bateman fight at the time. That wasn't through the media, it was just word of mouth flying around Canberra. One of the players tells his wife, the wife tells a girlfriend or two, and it takes on a life of its own.

When someone gets sacked for behavioral indiscretions - football player or not - everyone starts remembering all these little pieces of the puzzle they were privy to over the years. It wouldn't be particularly hard for a journalist to pick up on these murmurs through a man-about-town who's outside of the inner sanctum. From there, all it takes is a conversation with a **** in the Scott camp (god knows there's probably a few of them), and hey presto - story confirmed!

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it certainly could have, and nobody here knows otherwise. If the rumours can make their way around town through word-of-mouth, it's not a given that the leaks are coming from the top.