All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Canberra Raiders join race for Matt Dufty

Post by simo »

gergreg wrote: June 13, 2021, 4:19 pm
Botman wrote:Simo's work rate was excellent last night, when Dufty gets here, if Simo holds his spot on the wing, taking a little of that with him back to the wing would be a good start.
He has always had the body language of a bloke completely lacking in confidence. Hopefully last night's game was a turning point.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I think the freedom needs to be given by the coach. Players all just cant leave their lanes because they want to and i think half the supporter bases problem is they see rapa leaving his and wonder why simo never did the same
Dont delete this GE
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: June 13, 2021, 12:44 pm No one is required after last night
We’ll never lose another game in our existence

Jesus Christ :lol:
Unbelievable takes.

Reminds me of when Dugan was booted and Reece Robinson put in a few minutes of reasonable fullback play and there were some people deluding themselves into thinking we had upgraded :lol:
Up The Milk
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 13, 2021, 6:43 pm

Unbelievable takes.

Reminds me of when Dugan was booted and Reece Robinson put in a few minutes of reasonable fullback play and there were some people deluding themselves into thinking we had upgraded :lol:
I’d still take 2012 fullback Reece Robinson over most options. Didn’t last long and his form fell of a cliff but he was sensational for that period.

(I’d take Raider version of Dugan first though.)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:04 pm

Unbelievable takes.

I’d still take 2012 fullback Reece Robinson over most options. Didn’t last long and his form fell of a cliff but he was sensational for that period.

No. Just no.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ruben Daley wrote:

Jesus Christ Image
Unbelievable takes.

Reminds me of when Dugan was booted and Reece Robinson put in a few minutes of reasonable fullback play and there were some people deluding themselves into thinking we had upgraded Image

He flat out refused to make a tackle, I wouldn't take him regardless of how good his attack was

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I've never in my life seen a player avoid contact like that run from Reece Robinson, it was incredible.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:12 pm I've never in my life seen a player avoid contact like that run from Reece Robinson, it was incredible.
Ohhhh there's probably no one quite like late career Darius Boyd.

Reece was an odd one. It wasn't as if he wasn't built for contact. Good, solid frame on him. Just little desire to defend and improve.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:43 pm
Botman wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:12 pm I've never in my life seen a player avoid contact like that run from Reece Robinson, it was incredible.
Look, when you're right, you're right
Touche'

Late career Darius pretending to fall over instead of trying to make a tackle was definitely in that conversation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Reece Robinson. Never seen a bloke as fast as him consistently get to a cover tackle so late.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:45 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:43 pm
Look, when you're right, you're right
Touche'

Late career Darius pretending to fall over instead of trying to make a tackle was definitely in that conversation.
My favourite was him stopping and arguing with a non-existent person nearby while the ball carrier ran past him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Hey but on robo, gee he was good to watch in open space. I remember watching him against the tigers where he absolutely tore them to shreds. I was like robo, what a great performance mate but he was like it was ok... I thought this must be the coolest dude on the planet
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:46 am Reece Robinson. Never seen a bloke as fast as him consistently get to a cover tackle so late.
Only bloke I've ever seen out there who plays with his hands in his pockets.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

-TW- wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:54 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:

Jesus Christ Image
Unbelievable takes.

Reminds me of when Dugan was booted and Reece Robinson put in a few minutes of reasonable fullback play and there were some people deluding themselves into thinking we had upgraded Image

He flat out refused to make a tackle, I wouldn't take him regardless of how good his attack was

Hahaha. I thought his might earn me some negative responses.

I'd have to go back through the tapes but my memory of Robinson refusing to tackle (and then eventually just participate) came after a period when he was not detrimentally bad in defence while being scintillating in attack.

Interesting to consider with Dufty all but a done deal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 14, 2021, 11:41 am
-TW- wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:54 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:

Jesus Christ Image
Unbelievable takes.

Hahaha. I thought his might earn me some negative responses.

I'd have to go back through the tapes but my memory of Robinson refusing to tackle (and then eventually just participate) came after a period when he was not detrimentally bad in defence while being scintillating in attack.

Interesting to consider with Dufty all but a done deal.
Yeah, you have it right here. In 2012 when he filled in for an injured Dugan for a period he was absolutely brilliant, easily the best form of his career. It was after Cruisergate when we'd pinned our hopes on Robinson that he rolled back in with a much more casual attitude, including a complete lack of interest in doing anything remotely physical.

Two separate things, both very real.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We all know Dufty is a fine attacking player but limited in defensive attributes. We'll all be watching him closely during our match against the Dragons next week. I am a defensophile so favour players who can tackle and organise a defensive line. It is strong defence which gets teams to finals series. I am concerned that Dufty may prove to be another Blake Austin. It is no good scoring lots of points if the team doesn't make the finals through poor defence. It is why I keeping harping that we do not drive opposition ball carriers backwards in tackles and are seemingly powerless to stop an offload. It is a big part of the reason for our poor season imo.

I understand that the change in rules has favored attack and shown up defensive fraility. Caleb was clearly not the answer. Bailey has had a single game at 1 so while promising it needs to be consistent. CNK has been our fullback the past 2 seasons and we have gone deep into the finals series. His injury in the Panthers game took a lot from us imo. The fact our recruitment had Caleb as our second choice FB for this year may have been more about cap issues than anything else. There simply has to be back up spine players who are capable of performing decently at FG level. Time will tell if Bailey proves to be that back up spine player for FB in 2022.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Even with CNK as fullback we haven’t topped the defensive table.

And this was pre PVL…

As many have pointed out, while the fullback impacts the organisation of the defence, if your relying on the fullback to defend the last line there are problems in your front line…

That being said, I think it’s clear what Dufty will bring and won’t bring and it’s not as if the club (or us fans) are going on blind on this…
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I take your point Green Machine but we have not had CNK since he was injured in Round 5 against the Panthers.

I have been critical of our defensive efforts in post after post. We do not regularly drive the opposition ball carriers backwards. We did this for the past 2 years and this year it is missing. It has to be coaching. The good sides are driving opposition ball carriers backwards week in week out. Even at Origin level the Blues put pressure on Qld when Qld had the ball. We simply don't. It is a defensive style the whole team can get involved in. The good defensive sides praise their players for such effort. We have reverted to individual hits which under current rules is likely to see us a man down unless executed perfectly. I am looking for Team defensive effort but don't see much of it. Particularly in second halves.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Red, you need to drop this obsession with driving players backwards, it's just strange.

I'm as strong an advocate as you are for a solid defensive unit, and was with you all throughout 2017-18 when our defence just STANK, but this whole "driving the opposition players backwards" thing that you've clung too recently, well... it's truly bizarre.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

We all love seeing a fast defensive line that pressures the attack, however without the right personnel (halves and edge defenders who are strong defenders and are capable of repeatedly running up and down) it’s impossible to maintain for a full 80…it doesn’t matter who your fullback is…

All that being said we won’t lose CNK and if Dufty isn’t providing what we all hope he will bring in attack, we’ll have a defensive fullback who can replace him …

I don’t think the club will have to overpay to bring Dufty in and that will be offset with players leaving…
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

RedRaider wrote: June 14, 2021, 2:37 pm I am concerned that Dufty may prove to be another Blake Austin. It is no good scoring lots of points if the team doesn't make the finals through poor defence.
Blake Austin was a one trick pony: ball running (usually involving the same dummy). Dufty has at least two: running and passing
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im happy to have a fullback version of blake austin
Dont delete this GE
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:Red, you need to drop this obsession with driving players backwards, it's just strange.

I'm as strong an advocate as you are for a solid defensive unit, and was with you all throughout 2017-18 when our defence just STANK, but this whole "driving the opposition players backwards" thing that you've clung too recently, well... it's truly bizarre.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Dufty working on his early release…
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

GreenMachine wrote:Dufty working on his early release…
Hmmm that wasn’t good.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

The pro Dufty camp should be watching the dogs v dragons game right now. Averillo strolls right past Dufty for a try as he fails to take the ball carrier in the back field (fullback play 101) leaving dufty in no man's land. If we are to compete for a premiership again as a club we need to be aiming higher than Dufty. The dragons have seen the light by letting players like him and Corey Norman go and we need to be smart with our recruitment too.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: June 14, 2021, 5:05 pm
GreenMachine wrote:Dufty working on his early release…
Hmmm that wasn’t good.
It’s notable how much the Dragons avoid giving him hit ups 1 and 2 off the kick.

This will be a problem for us if our wings can’t make metres and we adopt the same tactics..
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Bloody_Burnham wrote: June 14, 2021, 5:07 pm The pro Dufty camp should be watching the dogs v dragons game right now. Averillo strolls right past Dufty for a try as he fails to take the ball carrier in the back field (fullback play 101) leaving dufty in no man's land. If we are to compete for a premiership again as a club we need to be aiming higher than Dufty. The dragons have seen the light by letting players like him and Corey Norman go and we need to be smart with our recruitment too.
It wasn’t good, but the Dragons have been off all game…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I reckon that release is happening tomorrow 😂
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Dufty era is gonna be fun :lol:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 5:13 pm The Dufty era is gonna be fun :lol:
Guaranteed banter…
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:The Dufty era is gonna be fun :lol:
As much fun as September 11?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Oh boy... we're gonna need CNK in defence. That was shocking.

I really really wonder if we are better off going hard to the market for a fullback in season 2023 rather than settling on an average footballer in Dufty.
Last edited by Raider47 on June 14, 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

You can see why he is being let go
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

What’s the typical Raiders move here?
Early release or backpedaling from the deal?? We can’t win.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 5:13 pm The Dufty era is gonna be fun :lol:
If some people on The GH have had an obsession with Jarrod Croker’s defence, imagine what it’ll be like with Dufty.