Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

Post by bayraider »

I think Dufty can be turned into a half-back, and a bloody good one at that too. Just would want to work on his defence. Thoughts? Remember Hughes was a fullback originally.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Matt Dufty Yes pls!

Post by Canberra Milk »

Honestly with his passing game you could do worse. That part to setup Bird was basically from halfback position
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Ive come around
Dont delete this GE
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Stud tonight!!!!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well that's 50. I guess the Broncos won't be winning the premiership this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Think I just saw Kevvie walk over to him with a contract.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Matt Dufty... yes please

Post by greeneyed »

Not an upgrade on CNK for mine. Defence the problem. One night playing for a new contract and against the Broncos doesn’t convert my view.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Upgrade in attack over CNK but a massive downgrade in terms of defence and positional play. Dufty would struggle behind our forward pack which has been dominated too many times this season.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

His value would’ve jumped $100-$200k after tonights performance, even if it was against the Broncs.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

bayraider wrote: June 3, 2021, 8:49 pm I think Dufty can be turned into a half-back, and a bloody good one at that too. Just would want to work on his defence. Thoughts? Remember Hughes was a fullback originally.
Hughes was always willing in contact with good tackling technique. Maybe Dufty could be the best 14 in the game?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

CNK's not close to Dufty's level. I'm sorry. Called it a while ago, and it now seems to be becoming clearer and clearer.

For those saying his defensive game isn't very good, well, that's not stopping other elite fullbacks is it. It's the role of the coaching staff to build around that. He as improvement in him too, watching him.

The elite fullbacks in the game ain't there for their defence, and they definitely won't be for the foreseeable future with the game is going. Having a handbrake like Charzne is far more detrimental to a side.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 3, 2021, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Dufty has really benefitted from the new rules and general increase in the speed of the game. The fact he's looked so good in such an ordinary team is a reflection of his attacking ability. I still think we'd need to accept the weaknesses in his defence but am coming around the idea it might be worth it, i.e. an extra two tries scored for an extra one conceded.

Dufty at halfback is a wild idea, @bayraider. Again, defence would be a big issue but I think kicking would be the make-or-break of it. But he'd be amazing in attack. I think I'd roll the dice on that rather than going with an in-house option.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Its an interesting one.
If Ricky were willing to sign him and move CNK to centre its a no brainer...
I just don't see Ricky doing that....
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

He’s going better than our muppets, but then that wouldn’t be hard
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:50 pm Not an upgrade on CNK for mine. Defence the problem. One night playing for a new contract and against the Broncos doesn’t convert my view.
How about we play CNK at the back vs the top 4 and Dufty vs the other 12 :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Theres no reason we couldnt play dufty on the wing in defensive sets and charnze on the wing in attack.
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:42 am Theres no reason we couldnt play dufty on the wing in defensive sets and charnze on the wing in attack.
Agreed. If nobody else wants him, why not make him an offer and try to make it work. An innovative coach could make it work.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:58 am
simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:42 am Theres no reason we couldnt play dufty on the wing in defensive sets and charnze on the wing in attack.
Agreed. If nobody else wants him, why not make him an offer and try to make it work. An innovative coach could make it work.
What I don't get is why nobody else seems to want him. Including the Dragons. :?

Nicho Hynes has done in the past half dozen games what Dufty has been doing for a couple of years and everybody was doing cartwheels trying to get his signature.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:00 am
What I don't get is why nobody else seems to want him. Including the Dragons. :?

Nicho Hynes has done in the past half dozen games what Dufty has been doing for a couple of years and everybody was doing cartwheels trying to get his signature.
Speculation of off field issues or attitude.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hynes is versatile... can play him in the halves or fullback and he’s a big body, which makes him less prone to being on the end of a dominant tackle when bringing the ball back ...

The knock on Dufty has been his size and defence (you saw some of that last night)..also the fact he can only play fullback...lacks the versatility of Hynes.

However, he is an attacking threat and is relatively young. If you add the right mix in the back 5 with him, you could compensate for his size...

Notwithstanding I can’t see us buying a fullback, not unless CNK is leaving us...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:00 am

Speculation of off field issues or attitude.
If such off field issues and attitude result in his current game day performances then I'm willing to accept them.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Defense simply doesn't win matches... well at least not in the way its been typically thought of. If your fullback is being tested a lot the side is already in trouble. Teams like the Storm, Panthers and Eels don't concede a lot but they do it by trapping their opponent in their own half. I would rather work on our fitness and the glacial slow defensive line over worrying about who is the fullback.

Ultimately the comp is tilted very strongly in favour of attack right now. Its about speed and fitness and relentlessly putting pressure on the opposition. Unless PVL is intending to just randomly change the rules Dufty would add something to the side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pete Cash wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:17 am Defense simply doesn't win matches... well at least not in the way its been typically thought of. If your fullback is being tested a lot the side is already in trouble. Teams like the Storm, Panthers and Eels don't concede a lot but they do it by trapping their opponent in their own half. I would rather work on our fitness and the glacial slow defensive line over worrying about who is the fullback.

Ultimately the comp is tilted very strongly in favour of attack right now. Its about speed and fitness and relentlessly putting pressure on the opposition. Unless PVL is intending to just randomly change the rules Dufty would add something to the side.
That would never happen, surely. :o
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Pete Cash wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:17 am Defense simply doesn't win matches... well at least not in the way its been typically thought of. If your fullback is being tested a lot the side is already in trouble. Teams like the Storm, Panthers and Eels don't concede a lot but they do it by trapping their opponent in their own half. I would rather work on our fitness and the glacial slow defensive line over worrying about who is the fullback.

I agree. All one needs to do is look at the scorelines of the winning teams - 30+ is what needs to be scored. Only a handful of games over the past 3 rounds defy this rule. Its very much about possession. Scoring 5 tries means opponents don't see the ball for ~15 minutes just in the surrounding plays around the tries.

We are being found out with a lack of attack and speed. Defense is also important, but it's secondary.

Someone here posted CNK to centres and Dufty to FB. I think that could work. He has 10+ points in him per game - either scoring tries or setting up other players. Outside of Wighton, we dont have any other player that brings that atm.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I would love to get him here and I've been banging on about it for the past two weeks. We need creativity badly and he brings a lot of it. Move CNK to crokers position when he gets medically retired. Get a big bodied winger and then i'd go for a left field option for HB (if money is tight). Cust, Keiragan, Schneider could be an option there.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If we are going to persist with Rickyball (conservative, no structure etc) then at the very least you need super quick players with top notch support play to be sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads.

Dufty is one of those guys.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He and CNK are polar opposites
But my view is give me the attack, move CNK into the front line which will help protect Dufty... and as rightly pointed out, there is unconventional ways we can manage this that would retain CNK as our last line defender MOST of the time (there will of course be times where pending on what rules you put in place and how you want to do it, that they might get stuck in their attacking spots in defence, too bad so sad, we'll cope)

We have to think outside the box here.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:42 am He and CNK are polar opposites
But my view is give me the attack, move CNK into the front line which will help protect Dufty... and as rightly pointed out, there is unconventional ways we can manage this that would retain CNK as our last line defender MOST of the time (there will of course be times where pending on what rules you put in place and how you want to do it, that they might get stuck in their attacking spots in defence, too bad so sad, we'll cope)

We have to think outside the box here.
yea agree absolutely worth a punt. i think the CNK defending at fullback but attacking at wing/centre is something worth trying.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:32 am If we are going to persist with Rickyball (conservative, no structure etc) then at the very least you need super quick players with top notch support play to be sniffing around the ruck looking for offloads.

Dufty is one of those guys.
Yep. With a conservative structure you need guys who can turn half chances into points. It's what we lack and Dufty is that.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It’s really simple. The game is now tilted to attack over defence.

CNK is a defensive fullback, Dufty is an attacking fullback. Dufty is the logical choice.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

1.Duffty
2.CNK
3.Scott/Hopoate
4.Kris/HSS/Timoko
5. Savage/Valemei/Simmonson/anderson
6.Wighton
7.Johnson
8.Papalii
9.Hodgson(probably wont be here but should be imo)
10.Sutton
11.CHN/Young
12.Whitehead
13.Tapine

14.Starling
15.Young/CHN
16.Horsburgh/Esera/Mooney/Rushton
17.Guler/James

Still think you'd have room for a couple more signings easily (definitely another wing option) but that squad at least gives you a chance if they get there **** together
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

kiwi raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:02 am 1.Duffty
2.CNK
3.Scott/Hopoate
4.Kris/HSS/Timoko
5. Savage/Valemei/Simmonson/anderson
6.Wighton
7.Johnson
8.Papalii
9.Hodgson(probably wont be here but should be imo)
10.Sutton
11.CHN/Young
12.Whitehead
13.Tapine

14.Starling
15.Young/CHN
16.Horsburgh/Esera/Mooney/Rushton
17.Guler/James

Still think you'd have room for a couple more signings easily (definitely another wing option) but that squad at least gives you a chance if they get there **** together
looks a lot better than what we have today!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Having a fullback that craps all over bottom 4 teams while being a burden against others is going to make for some fun discussion around here. Will Kennedy or Hynes would have been better buys but I guess we'll at least get some fun highlights.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

zim wrote: June 4, 2021, 11:58 am Having a fullback that craps all over bottom 4 teams while being a burden against others is going to make for some fun discussion around here. Will Kennedy or Hynes would have been better buys but I guess we'll at least get some fun highlights.
Was carving up the Storm pretty nicely just before he got injured.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:30 pm
zim wrote: June 4, 2021, 11:58 am Having a fullback that craps all over bottom 4 teams while being a burden against others is going to make for some fun discussion around here. Will Kennedy or Hynes would have been better buys but I guess we'll at least get some fun highlights.
Was carving up the Storm pretty nicely just before he got injured.
Played 43 mins, 10 runs for 93m and 2 try assists. Score was 10-14 to Storm before he went off. Dragons earlier win vs Eels has scored 2 tries and had 2 try assists. He goes OK against strong opposition.