Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders wild cards in race for Matt Dufty

Post by greeneyed »

The shock club that’s ‘very keen’ on Dufty as reason behind Dragons’ stance is revealed

The Canberra Raiders are reportedly “very keen” on Matt Dufty and are willing to move Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to make room for the out-of-favour Dragons fullback.

“Canberra are genuinely interested. They seem him quite possibly as their fullback for next year and they’re very interested in signing him. The club will confirm that at any time you’d imagine,” Danny Weidler said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... da7a00ebc2

Doesn’t necessarily take criticism well from a coach. Note to Danny... the Raiders have already confirmed they want to talk to Dufty.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 9:38 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 8, 2021, 9:23 am However, as a spectacle for me, I'm not particularly enjoying the huge momentum shifts in a game. Irrespective of how crap my own team is going.
Me either - the scorer kicking off would help offset this
That was trialed in Superleague and I absolutely HATED it... I hope they never bring that back in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:14 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 9:38 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 8, 2021, 9:23 am However, as a spectacle for me, I'm not particularly enjoying the huge momentum shifts in a game. Irrespective of how crap my own team is going.
Me either - the scorer kicking off would help offset this
That was trialed in Superleague and I absolutely HATED it... I hope they never bring that back in.
If we’re converting the game into basketball... why not go all the way?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:14 am The shock club that’s ‘very keen’ on Dufty as reason behind Dragons’ stance is revealed

The Canberra Raiders are reportedly “very keen” on Matt Dufty and are willing to move Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to make room for the out-of-favour Dragons fullback.

“Canberra are genuinely interested. They seem him quite possibly as their fullback for next year and they’re very interested in signing him. The club will confirm that at any time you’d imagine,” Danny Weidler said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... da7a00ebc2

Doesn’t necessarily take criticism well from a coach. Note to Danny... the Raiders have already confirmed they want to talk to Dufty.
I thought this was all just a fabricated narrative on the GH, based on the 'agendas' of an apparently very small minority, who are pushing for a new fullback?

Is that not the case???
Austezer84
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by Austezer84 »

Charnze has great kick return metres and great defence and we're going to replace him for a guy who does neither🤔
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Austezer84 wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:08 am Charnze has great kick return metres and great defence and we're going to replace him for a guy who does neither🤔
It's going to be great, I'm really looking forward to this... hopefully it's for the rest of this season.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Austezer84 wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:08 am Charnze has great kick return metres and great defence and we're going to replace him for a guy who does neither🤔
Charnze is slow and has a **** pass. Wingers can do the kick return metres..
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

CNK to centre or wing works for me. Doesn't mind a dirty carry, and good under the high ball, can tackle.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:56 am CNK to centre or wing works for me. Doesn't mind a dirty carry, and good under the high ball, can tackle.
Agreed.
You would think (for 2022)...

1. Dufty
2. Savage
3. CNK
4. Kris
5. HSS

has more speed and impact IMO...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

5 Valemei

Kris to second row or bench utility

And the attacking ability of the squad is starting to look reasonable. Halfback likely to be a work in progress regardless
Austezer84
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by Austezer84 »

No way Cnk is staying to play centre or wing when we signed him as 1.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont really have any of the 2-5 spots locked in.
CNK will be there somewhere. But i think we need to recruit at least 1 starting outside back... who we recruit and where they play will determine the other things.

1. Dufty
2. Internal option (Semi, Simo, Savage, Hoppa)
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK
5. New Recruit

or

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. New Recruit
5. CNK
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Classic Botman, completely ignoring my 3-fullback system.

What a prick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If we sign Dufty, CNK to the centres would be good defensively, while moving him to the wing might be preferable for our attack. It needs to be one or the other. Hopefully he stays with the club as both are important. It depends on who else we have in the squad.

In my mind Kris, CNK and Valemei are a reasonable base for our 3/4 line. We desperately need another quality winger, especially someone with speed. Simonsson is solid, but has zero impact with the ball. Hopefully Savage has the goods, if not maybe HSS can offer something in the centres with CNK to the wing. Who knows?

My number one concern is finding a halfback with a decent kicking game and also a goal kicker.

We also need more second row depth. Whitehead is on his last legs and CHN is woeful defensively.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I would love to see hoppa and savage get a run in firsts before we start splashing the cash elsewhere
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Austezer84 wrote:No way Cnk is staying to play centre or wing when we signed him as 1.
He earned a chance to wear the #1.

Don't make a fallacy that we recruited him with the primary offer of playing fullback.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

My concern about CNK in the centres is the difficulty he has with a draw and pass, and the seeming inability to do the tip-on pass. Two crucial aspects of centre play. Add to that the tendency to run diagonal cramping his outside, instead of straight (which would aid the draw and pass). To me he's better off playing the slow and safe winger in a side cushioned with decent speed.

RE Valemei - I'm not sure if he'll be here next season, as he's only signed on until the end of this one. What we generally know about these Fijian kids is that they tend to do whatever is best for them and their family financially above all, so if there's any club or any comp showing more interest then he could be off.

At this stage I'd still be open to a punt on CNK moving to the centres hoping that he's good enough, with Simo being a solid backup to the best starting five and a new winger brought in, alongside Savage. Kris has shown enough potential to be worked with a left centre.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgtnk wrote: June 8, 2021, 12:34 pm My concern about CNK in the centres is the difficulty he has with a draw and pass, and the seeming inability to do the tip-on pass. Two crucial aspects of centre play. Add to that the tendency to run diagonal cramping his outside, instead of straight (which would aid the draw and pass). To me he's better off playing the slow and safe winger in a side cushioned with decent speed.

RE Valemei - I'm not sure if he'll be here next season, as he's only signed on until the end of next one. What we generally know about these Fijian kids is that they tend to do whatever is best for them and their family financially above all, so if there's any club or any comp showing more interest then he could be off.

At this stage I'd still be open to a punt on CNK moving to the centres hoping that he's good enough, with Simo being a solid backup to the best starting five and a new winger brought in, alongside Savage. Kris has shown enough potential to be worked with a left centre.
you want speed and in the same breath you advocate for keeping simonsson over valemei...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Simonsson's a lot quicker than Valemei.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: June 8, 2021, 12:19 pm I dont really have any of the 2-5 spots locked in.
CNK will be there somewhere. But i think we need to recruit at least 1 starting outside back... who we recruit and where they play will determine the other things.

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK
5. New Recruit

or

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. New Recruit
5. CNK
You need to get on board my Fergo / Dugan / Milford reunion tour
1. Dufty
2. Fergo
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. Dugan
5. CNK
7. Milford
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Simo is a bust IMO..
Agree with Botman...
Savage on one wing and recruit someone for the other...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 8, 2021, 12:19 pm I dont really have any of the 2-5 spots locked in.

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK
5. New Recruit

or

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. New Recruit
5. CNK
Pretty much spot on IMO.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

-TW- wrote: June 8, 2021, 12:30 pm
Austezer84 wrote:No way Cnk is staying to play centre or wing when we signed him as 1.
He earned a chance to wear the #1.

Don't make a fallacy that we recruited him with the primary offer of playing fullback.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
exactly. He's also not returning to NZ to get the fullback gig at the Warriors, Reece Walsh was recruited as RTS successor and has openly stated thats where he wants to play, they won't run the risk of pissing him off just to get CNK.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

afgtnk wrote: June 8, 2021, 12:34 pm My concern about CNK in the centres is the difficulty he has with a draw and pass, and the seeming inability to do the tip-on pass. Two crucial aspects of centre play. Add to that the tendency to run diagonal cramping his outside, instead of straight (which would aid the draw and pass). To me he's better off playing the slow and safe winger in a side cushioned with decent speed.

RE Valemei - I'm not sure if he'll be here next season, as he's only signed on until the end of this one. What we generally know about these Fijian kids is that they tend to do whatever is best for them and their family financially above all, so if there's any club or any comp showing more interest then he could be off.

yea i reckon looking at CNK and Duffty swapping around is worth considering too(if you can make it work). that would be a hell of a lot easier from the wing than Centre
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I prefer CNK at wing myself, and i do think the concerns raised are legitimate but i think they'll probably let CNK have a crack at centre and fail out to the wing.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

A month ago on 100% Footy, Wiedler asked Gus about the Dragons not wanting to re-sign Dufty, knowing that Gus has good insight into the inner workings of the Dragons and did their review a couple of years ago. Gus said the Dragons have been wanting to offload Dufty for the past two off seasons, and his understanding is that it's not football related. He also said if he was running a team that was struggling to score points, he sign him on that basis alone. Obviously there are other issues (defense, off-field, etc). But the attacking threat could be worth it for some teams. I guess similar to what Blake Austin brought to the Raiders.

Interestingly though, listening to the Six Tackles with Gus podcast, Gus and Ricky caught up for dinner and watched the Broncos v Dragons game last Thursday. Gus is now far more aware of what the issues at the Raiders are, and it appears that a few individuals are the issue, not the whole team. He said 80-90% of players are still "buying in", and a few will either need to basically shape up or ship out.

Considering attitude appears to be the problem for a handful of players, I would question the wisdom in signing Dufty if he also has off field/attitude problems, and can't handle criticism from the coach. I certainly hope that's the only issue, as I haven't heard of any issues relating to drugs/alcohol/DV. We don't want someone with issues like what Curtis Scott has allegedly done. If Ricky is still very keen to sign Dufty, I have to assume that his name would have come up in his dinner with Gus. I would also assume that despite whatever off-field issues there are, they clearly aren't big enough for Gus to convince Ricky not to sign him.

I'd be interested to know who the 10-20% of players not "buying in" are. There'll be plenty leaving due to age/form/injury mixed in with those who just want out, so it may be hard to tell. I assume Croker, Rapa, Havili, Sia, Lui, etc will leave due to age/form/injury. Scott I assume will be sacked. Williams released. I think Hodgo, Papa, and Taps have an attitude problem and it will be interesting to see how many of them (if any) will stick around or agitate for a release.

Either way, next year I think we'll have shed at least 10 of our current starters which is a big rebuild in such a short space of time, for a team that was tipped be a premiership contender this year. How quickly we have fallen.
Last edited by Finchy on June 8, 2021, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 8, 2021, 1:35 pm

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK
5. New Recruit

or

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. New Recruit
5. CNK
1. Dufty
2. Fergo
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. Dugan
5. CNK
7. Milford
Finally, someone sees it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2021, 2:39 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 8, 2021, 1:35 pm

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. CNK
5. New Recruit

or

1. Dufty
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. New Recruit
5. CNK
1. Dufty
2. Fergo
3. Kris/Timoko/HSS
4. Dugan
5. CNK
7. Milford
Finally, someone sees it.
Yeah, I'm all on board with this too, **** it.

Make it happen, Rocky!!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Finchy wrote: June 8, 2021, 2:25 pm A month ago on 100% Footy, Wiedler asked Gus about the Dragons not wanting to re-sign Dufty, knowing that Gus has good insight into the inner workings of the Dragons and did their review a couple of years ago. Gus said the Dragons have been wanting to offload Dufty for the past two off seasons, and his understanding is that it's not football related. He also said if he was running a team that was struggling to score points, he sign him on that basis alone. Obviously there are other issues (defense, off-field, etc). But the attacking threat could be worth it for some teams. I guess similar to what Blake Austin brought to the Raiders.

Interestingly though, listening to the Six Tackles with Gus podcast, Gus and Ricky caught up for dinner and watched the Broncos v Dragons game last Thursday. Gus is now far more aware of what the issues at the Raiders are, and it appears that a few individuals are the issue, not the whole team. He said 80-90% of players are still "buying in", and a few will either need to basically shape up or ship out.

Considering attitude appears to be the problem for a handful of players, I would question the wisdom in signing Dufty if he also has off field/attitude problems, and can't handle criticism from the coach. I certainly hope that's the only issue, as I haven't heard of any issues relating to drugs/alcohol/DV. We don't want someone with issues like what Curtis Scott has allegedly done. If Ricky is still very keen to sign Dufty, I have to assume that his name would have come up in his dinner with Gus. I would also assume that despite whatever off-field issues there are, they clearly aren't big enough for Gus to convince Ricky not to sign him.

I'd be interested to know who the 10-20% of players not "buying in" are. There'll be plenty leaving due to age/form/injury mixed in with those who just want out, so it may be hard to tell. I assume Croker, Rapa, Havili, Sia, Lui, etc will leave due to age/form/injury. Scott I assume will be sacked. Williams released. I think Hodgo, Papa, and Taps have an attitude problem and it will be interesting to see how many of them (if any) will stick around or agitate for a release.

Either way, next year I think we'll have shed at least 10 of our current starters which is a big rebuild in such a short space of time, for a team that was tipped be a premiership contender this year. How quickly we have fallen.
You don't need to be Inspector Clouseau to work out that the players not "buying in" basically include the ones who have had a stint at reggies or been "injured" this season (excluding Croker).

I agree there will be a "clean out" however I don't think 10 starters are being told to move on...it might be 10 players in total (including one who has already departed). I count GW in the mix because his personal issues were destabilising the side and created a rift within the team...

On the Dufty issues - it's clearly related to his defence and I thought they touched on that during NRL 360 last night. The game against the Bronco's was basically a perfect example of what you get/don't get when you sign Dufty.

I also thought Paul Gallen's comments on 100% Footy were very interesting.

He said that when he quizzed Shane Flannagan about why Dufty wasn't required at the Dragons, Flannagan confirmed the issue wasn't talent.

He said at times, the way Dufty asks questions of the coaching staff (assuming about his performance or critique of his performance) COULD come across as possibly arrogant, however Flannagan did not think this was real arrogance....more a genuine attempt to understand the critique better....

The issue here IMO is that he may be the type of person that is easily misread when your trying to coach / improve him. He might be asking a genuine question, but the perception from the coach/assistant could be that Dufty is mocking or not taking in the advice....

So who knows how this may end up with the Overhead Projector Lord who has been known to operate on a very short fuse.

All that being said, we need attacking potency and this is an easy way to acquire some albeit that it will come with it's problems (all there for us to see upfront).

I don't think Ricky is meeting him to gauge his interest, I'm told it's more about whether he can move THIS SEASON.

On the CNK front, the club is covering bases....there have been a few rumours now that the injury is not straight forward...
Last edited by GreenMachine on June 8, 2021, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Surely a player that doesn’t handle coach criticism isn’t going to take long to have that trait tested by our Dear Leader… I like Dufty’s talent but that is a HUGE red flag for me.

Sign Dufty. Sack Rick.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha this is going to be absolutely great.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I want Valemi to stay and Scott and Simo to go.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: June 8, 2021, 3:57 pm Hahaha this is going to be absolutely great.
Thoughts on Dufty aside as far as the squad as a whole goes it will be nice to see the sit back and relax attitude. When this huge clean out coupled with a big push for gambles comes with the predictable instant results we always see in the NRL.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I don't foresee a huge clean out...

Pretty much agree that Croker, Rapa, Havili, Sia, Lui, etc will leave due to age/injury/contract expiry.

I think Scott will be sacked.

I think Hodgo will be allowed to leave if he negotiates a long term deal elsewhere and we are not paying freight...

I don't think Papa and Taps will leave....I'd say there is more of a likelihood that Horse and Young could leave....I think Young is one of the players earmarked with an attitude problem...

I agree with Ben Ikin's take on NRL 360 in that we should introduce more youth rather than spend our way into trouble by buying older players...We are no longer in a premiership window, but we don't need to be in the wilderness for a long period of time...

We won't rebuild in a single season...it will take 2 possibly 3...but if we trend upwards and see some development in the players coming through then great...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pretty clear who hasn't been buying in.

It's a bit rich coming from Hodgo too. Tapine is one of those guys that has a ton of potential but is too lazy to fulfil it on a regular basis.

Guler and Horsburgh are another matter. Very disappointing seasons from both.

I don't understand why Young would have an attitude problem. At all.