Canberra Raiders won't be signing Sharks half Shaun Johnson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by Coastalraider »

Th bit everyone is missing here is that the recruitment team has actually done a bloody good job of succession planning, but George leaving 18 months early has thrown it all into disarray.

Schneider is the best young kid to come out of a very strong qld junior development school for a while. But he isnt ready right now.

Sione Moala is one of the brightest young prospects to come out of the NZ junior system for a while, and has been showing skills winning the SG ball comp with us this year. But he is a few years off.

If George actually played until the end of next year, both of these guys trajectories would be bang on.

What we need now is a 'bridge' half to fill the gap. SJ would bring experience, speed and points (and goal kicking), and his history of injuries (if it continues) can be offset somewhat with the flip side that our next wave get some exposure to firsts.

So he actually answers 2 questions - he makes us stronger for next year, and also fills a gap while our next wave develop, not exposing them too soon.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

OMG HE HATES CANBERRA HES THE DEVIL I LOVE CANBERRA SO HIS ONE TIME COMMENT MAKES ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF SO HES A TERRIBLE PERSON AND I DONT WANT HIM PLAYING AT THE RAIDERS.

Have I summed it up well?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:07 am
simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:00 am Signing johnson also says to other nrl players that players who previously didnt want to go to canberra now want to. Build a better narrative around the club than is there at the moment
Too much is being made of this. He called Canberra "boring" in an interview when he was a 22 year old coming to play here with the Warriors. He was a cocky young guy who bagged the town of the team he was playing. Far too many people here have taken it as "I will never play for the Raiders as long as I draw breath".
Also, Canberra IS **** boring, and the weather absolutely STINKS!

Those two things are pure fact, doesn't mean Canberra isn't ok in other regards.
As a younger person there's enough here to keep me occupied.

The only thing I hate is the climate **** sucks. There's 3 months a year where it's reasonable. THREE

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No. Summed up rather poorly I think :lol:
I don't think anyone has really gone hard down that road
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

hrundi89 wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:14 pm OMG HE HATES CANBERRA HES THE DEVIL I LOVE CANBERRA SO HIS ONE TIME COMMENT MAKES ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF SO HES A TERRIBLE PERSON AND I DONT WANT HIM PLAYING AT THE RAIDERS.

*chef's kiss*

Nailed it!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:18 pm
The Nickman wrote:
simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:00 am Signing johnson also says to other nrl players that players who previously didnt want to go to canberra now want to. Build a better narrative around the club than is there at the moment
Too much is being made of this. He called Canberra "boring" in an interview when he was a 22 year old coming to play here with the Warriors. He was a cocky young guy who bagged the town of the team he was playing. Far too many people here have taken it as "I will never play for the Raiders as long as I draw breath".

Those two things are pure fact, doesn't mean Canberra isn't ok in other regards.
As a younger person there's enough here to keep me occupied.

The only thing I hate is the climate **** sucks. There's 3 months a year where it's reasonable. THREE

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Three is being generous. I've been there in **** February and been **** freezing before.

In **** FEBRUARY!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:12 am

This is like all those folks from western Sydney or Penrith telling us... "Canberra is a hole!".
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:59 am Th bit everyone is missing here is that the recruitment team has actually done a bloody good job of succession planning, but George leaving 18 months early has thrown it all into disarray.

Schneider is the best young kid to come out of a very strong qld junior development school for a while. But he isnt ready right now.

Sione Moala is one of the brightest young prospects to come out of the NZ junior system for a while, and has been showing skills winning the SG ball comp with us this year. But he is a few years off.

If George actually played until the end of next year, both of these guys trajectories would be bang on.

What we need now is a 'bridge' half to fill the gap. SJ would bring experience, speed and points (and goal kicking), and his history of injuries (if it continues) can be offset somewhat with the flip side that our next wave get some exposure to firsts.

So he actually answers 2 questions - he makes us stronger for next year, and also fills a gap while our next wave develop, not exposing them too soon.
Good post.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 1:04 pm
This is like all those folks from western Sydney or Penrith telling us... "Canberra is a hole!".
Penrith is in Western Sydney, sport.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Shaun Johnson is just another Matt Awful in the waiting..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2021, 1:12 pm
Only people from Penrith think that. The rest of Sydney denies it.

[Edit] forgot to throw in "champ"
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

He will go to the Dogs
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:He will go to the Dogs
I think he went to the dogs a few seasons ago.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

I'd rather have Johnson then Luke ####@@@ Brooks :rant
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by lomax »

Didn't we make a big play for Johnson when the Warriors moved him on?
And he rejected us?
I agree he might be the best of whats out there for season 2022. But it looks to me if he ends up at the Raiders it will only be because he can't gt a better deal elsewhere, (considering what he has previously said about Canberra in the past). And if that's the case the end result will not be good.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Sign Johnson and widdop for 2022, put Jack at left centre and sign dufty, cnk to wing.
Maybe its our turn to buy a premiership.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Coastalraider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:59 am Th bit everyone is missing here is that the recruitment team has actually done a bloody good job of succession planning, but George leaving 18 months early has thrown it all into disarray.

This is a very good point.

It really impacts your club's planning when a key position player ends his tenure that much earlier than expected.

There are two possibilities I see for 2022-23. One is Jack, Papa and co. regain their best form and we resume our place as a top four team. In this case, Johnson could propel us back into title contention.

The other (more likely) scenario is we need to reboot the line-up over those two seasons. In that case, Johnson can prevent us from hitting rock bottom while we do that. Ideally, we want to still be competitive in our off seasons and signings like Johnson can help with that.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:
Unless you’re watching the news when something awful happens in Western Sydney, and the journo comes to you live from Strathfield…

FTR western Sydney = Parra - Penrith
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Polky being pretty clear he thinks it’s not happening. He’s been talking to Peter Mulholland. I don’t see any quotes though on this. Only quote in that story is Johnson’s manager saying Johnson would be open to a move to Canberra.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

When do I get my Schneider tattoo?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:24 pm

Polky being pretty clear he thinks it’s not happening. He’s been talking to Peter Mulholland. I don’t see any quotes though on this. Only quote in that story is Johnson’s manager saying Johnson would be open to a move to Canberra.
If thats the case then fair enough but when we offered williams his immediate release Furner said it was because it would allow the raiders to find a suitable replacement thats currently available that might not be available by the end of the year.

If he wasnt talking about johnson, who was he talking about????
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Sorry. Is polky saying Johnson signing ain't happening?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:27 pm Sorry. Is polky saying Johnson signing ain't happening?
That's what he's saying.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Brooks > Johnson
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:38 pm Brooks > Johnson
Agree.
I’m not sure he’s available though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:27 pm Sorry. Is polky saying Johnson signing ain't happening?
Yes. Polky is saying it is the remotest of murmers from his client, "oh yes, I would entertain an offer from canberra" to create some leverage from a top up of the offer. Business as usual.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:49 pm
Agree.
I think he will be.
As for Brooks > Johnson...

Injuries turned off? Not even close. NOT close. SJ leaves him for dead, even at this stage of his career. SJ is a better ball player, slightly better defender, better kicking game, smarter player.
But what do you get from SJ over the course of the season vs Brooks... i dunno. Injuries considered, its close.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Well yeah.... but we're talking the reality of the situation, as it is right now - and it's not close IMO.

Brooks gives us more longevity and a good injury history. Plus, I think with the way he plays he's probably a better fit than Johnson. If people are wanting an 'organising' half, then that's what Brooks is. With a high quality fullback he could go to another level IMO. It's what he's lacked big time, apart from a decent pack.

Signing a guy on big money, only for him to get injured for 6-10 games a year is just a potential season killer. We don't need that.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:29 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:49 pm
Agree.
I think he will be.
As for Brooks > Johnson...

Injuries turned off? Not even close. NOT close. SJ leaves him for dead, even at this stage of his career. SJ is a better ball player, slightly better defender, better kicking game, smarter player.
But what do you get from SJ over the course of the season vs Brooks... i dunno. Injuries considered, its close.
The club will sit on its hands and in several weeks or months we'll be having this same discussion - yet comparing Ash Taylor and Milf.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johnson absolutely WILL miss 6-10 games a year. Look at his last 5 seasons. That was his "peak" and he was missing that many.

He's now on the wrong side of 30. Doesn't seem much but look how it went for Hodgo (31), Toots (30) and Rapana (31) and they generally were more durable than Johnson even when young. There's a cliff some players go over... see Keiron Foran...

He's the best half left. Talent. Smarts. etc. But he's going to be busted a fair bit. Tricky.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I’ve said my bit on SJ...
Not saying Brooks is the right answer, but in a shoot out with SJ I’m taking Brooks ...

Because availability is the best ability and Johnson will miss games given he is on the physical decline.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:35 pm Well yeah.... but we're talking the reality of the situation, as it is right now - and it's not close IMO.

Brooks gives us more longevity and a good injury history. Plus, I think with the way he plays he's probably a better fit than Johnson. If people are wanting an 'organising' half, then that's what Brooks is. With a high quality fullback he could go to another level IMO. It's what he's lacked big time, apart from a decent pack.

Signing a guy on big money, only for him to get injured for 6-10 games a year is just a potential season killer. We don't need that.
I'm excited if Johnson joins us, not Brooks. Brooks doesn't get injured as he doesn't tackle or run with the ball. And he has a **** kicking game. He's the only half that hasn't played finals footy over 100 games. Played 160 games, no finals in a 8 teams finals era. **** ****
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm with you HK. Brooks is barely first grade standard. his defence is worse than Sammy's. I appreciate he's never plaid with a good fullback though. I mean it's not like he's ever played with a Tedesco type player or anything. 🤔
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahaha Luke Brooks? *chef’s kiss*

Perfect!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

hrundi89 wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:14 pm OMG HE HATES CANBERRA HES THE DEVIL I LOVE CANBERRA SO HIS ONE TIME COMMENT MAKES ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF SO HES A TERRIBLE PERSON AND I DONT WANT HIM PLAYING AT THE RAIDERS.

Yeah, nah.

It's about the fact he has previously expressed zero interest in coming to Canberra.

If Canterbury are genuinely keen on him he's a million to one coming here, much like Hynes was. Good for his manager to throw us a bone though, in the hope of getting his client into a bidding war.