Canberra Raiders won't be signing Sharks half Shaun Johnson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders cool on Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by woppadingo »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 6, 2021, 10:55 pm If I had to guess I would say that he put a big fat Raiders tax on his demand to us as we would be at the bottom of his preference list.

Now we can save face and walk away saying we aren't interested. He was probably never interested in us either.

Although in saying that I am sure he would his attitude would change pretty quickly if he didn't have any suitors
Yep. And in which case we should still say no.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 6, 2021, 10:55 pm If I had to guess I would say that he put a big fat Raiders tax on his demand to us as we would be at the bottom of his preference list.

Now we can save face and walk away saying we aren't interested. He was probably never interested in us either.

Although in saying that I am sure he would his attitude would change pretty quickly if he didn't have any suitors
Not at all.
The bloke is on 800k a yr and likes it.
Sharks offered 500, he said no. They said go see what u can get.

He came here and the conversation went...
Don: we are concerned about your fitness.
SJ: nah, I'm sweet as.
Don: well, we need a 7 who will play
SJ: I'm ya man
Don: excellent. How much do u want?
SJ: 700 (?) a yr
Ricky: spits out his coffee... 700 a yr?!? For a bloke that only plays 3 outta 4 games...
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

So SJ looked ok last night….
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Coastalraider wrote: June 12, 2021, 8:56 am So SJ looked ok last night….
He has plenty of good games in him but he isn’t delivering a premiership to anyone, is not worth the coin he’s seeking and is a bad fit for us.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:00 am
He has plenty of good games in him but he isn’t delivering a premiership to anyone, is not worth the coin he’s seeking and is a bad fit for us.
Ok we should wait for Cooper Cronk mark 2, got it. Come on

He's worth 600k
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:20 am

He's worth 600k
We would probably come up to that price pending other signings (e.g. Dufty). Him wanting a lot more than that is the issue.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Look I don't think he'd come to Canberra anyway. I think whatever we offered, he'd be able to match in Sydney and would take it. But I just find it a bit bemusing that some seem to think we'd be better without him
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:22 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:20 am

He's worth 600k
We would probably come up to that price pending other signings (e.g. Dufty). Him wanting a lot more than that is the issue.
I’m hearing it was a very short conversation once numbers would put on the table. If that is managers doing what they have to do then good and well, but if SJ believes he is worth $800+ and we get him here for a lot less you wonder if he wouldn’t be feeling a bit burnt and undervalued from day 1. I can’t see a happy ending here.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:25 am Look I don't think he'd come to Canberra anyway. I think whatever we offered, he'd be able to match in Sydney and would take it. But I just find it a bit bemusing that some seem to think we'd be better without him
Yes he is better than what we have, but at this stage of his career he isn’t a player I see winning a premiership no matter where he goes. We need to decide if we are rebuilding a team to make the 8 or a team to win premierships. Not sure who the next Cooper Cronk is, but will be hard to see him shine if he is stuck behind SJ not getting a game.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Nailed it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The question isn’t whether we think SJ is better than our halves … we know the answer to this.

The question is how do you think he will perform if he’s forced to accept a contract that is under where he see’s himself…

I’m convinced he’s got different prices for different destinations (and fair enough). In some of those scenarios, the team will be getting him at market value…in our case, definitely over the market value…

So I’d rather we find a halfback that actually wants to be here and sees this club as an opportunity rather than a pay day.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:33 am
Nailed it.
If we limit our recruitment to halfbacks that have won a premiership we could be searching for a while.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:48 am
Nailed it.
If we limit our recruitment to halfbacks that have won a premiership we could be searching for a while.
Not halves that have won a premiership but halves that can win a future premiership. I think SJ will be a good buy for someone but I don’t see him winning a premiership with anyone between now and retirement. I want us to churn through a selection of halves coming through till we see something we like.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Nailed it.
I don’t think that’s the brief to be fair.
He isn’t worth what he is asking for and your investment is highly unlikely to return anything of note, as the Sharks have learned.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:57 am Not halves that have won a premiership but halves that can win a future premiership. I think SJ will be a good buy for someone but I don’t see him winning a premiership with anyone between now and retirement. I want us to churn through a selection of halves coming through till we see something we like.
It doesn't work that way though. Hark back to circa 2009 and we churned through Marc Herbert, then Josh McCrone, then Sam Williams... just churning younguns doesn't do anything. Look at Broncos now too, and their revolving door of younguns. It's not about churning, it's about finding the right one. And no reason why you can't keep a half decent halfback on the books while you wait

There is value to a halfback like SJ keeping our head above the water during a rebuild, to maintain a top 8 position which is better for sponsors, better for recruitment etc. It's not just about winning a premiership or bust (and there's no easy ticket to the former anyway)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:26 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:57 am Not halves that have won a premiership but halves that can win a future premiership. I think SJ will be a good buy for someone but I don’t see him winning a premiership with anyone between now and retirement. I want us to churn through a selection of halves coming through till we see something we like.
It doesn't work that way though. Hark back to circa 2009 and we churned through Marc Herbert, then Josh McCrone, then Sam Williams... just churning younguns doesn't do anything. Look at Broncos now too, and their revolving door of younguns. It's not about churning, it's about finding the right one. And no reason why you can't keep a half decent halfback on the books while you wait

There is value to a halfback like SJ keeping our head above the water during a rebuild, to maintain a top 8 position which is better for sponsors, better for recruitment etc. It's not just about winning a premiership or bust (and there's no easy ticket to the former anyway)
Who ends up being squeezed out when the reported $900k salary he was demanding from us hits the books?

He’s come off an Achilles injury too and is on the wrong side of 30…

I’d prefer we invest in the other areas we know we need improvement in - faster more powerful outside backs; a 13 who can initiate ball play…possibly a young second row or forwards with better speed and agility…

If his asking price was $500k on two years, I’d do it. But that’s not what he’s asking…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

There is not much room for mediocre players on a list. You keep Josh Mansour you don’t find Brian To’o. You hold onto Maloney you don’t unearth Luai. Panthers even flicked their captain Tamou and got an uptick in quality. We are too sentimental and too eager to dabble with kinda, sorta, nearly players who clog our roster (Croker exhibit A) at the expense of guys like Zac Lomax. We need to be ruthless with our roster like Penrith and develop a culture and system that makes players like Melbourne. The blue print is there - teams 1 and 2. The alternative is to keep paying overs for washed up discards that will carry you to 5th in a good year and 10th every other. Think big man! Think big!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:42 am

There is not much room for mediocre players on a list. You keep Josh Mansour you don’t find Brian To’o. You hold onto Maloney you don’t unearth Luai. Panthers even flicked their captain Tamou and got an uptick in quality. We are too sentimental and too eager to dabble with kinda, sorta, nearly players who clog our roster (Croker exhibit A) at the expense of guys like Zac Lomax. We need to be ruthless with our roster like Penrith and develop a culture and system that makes players like Melbourne. The blue print is there - teams 1 and 2. The alternative is to keep paying overs for washed up discards that will carry you to 5th in a good year and 10th every other. Think big man! Think big!
Couldn’t agree more…
People love sentiment until they’re stuck paying overs for a club stalwart in their 30’s with no use under the current version of the game…then it’s time to yell down at the club for extending the sentimental contact…
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 1:42 pm

Couldn’t agree more…
People love sentiment until they’re stuck paying overs for a club stalwart in their 30’s with no use under the current version of the game…then it’s time to yell down at the club for extending the sentimental contact…
I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle. The examples provided - To'o and Luai were banging down the door and leaving the club with no option but to pick them. I'd hardly compare those two to Starling or Kris.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I'd argue Starling and Kris need more experience before we judge what they will become and I'd rather not overpay Croker and Hodgson for what I know im going to get... given thier age and injury history moreso than their contribution when they were younger and fitter...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wonder who our talent scouts are looking at in terms of half backs for next season. Penrith took the time to blood Cleary with Maloney. Do we go with a young player beside Jack? Do we look to the Rugby ranks for players with a strong kicking/passing game as we once did with Sticky? Sides with strong kicking games eat up field position and take pressure off the rest of the team. I am a fan of Sam Williams but I don't think he can lead us to finals. That finals goal should always be our aim.

Shaun Johnson has not been kind in his comments about Canberra. He will be looking for a large contract. The question is: is he an upgrade on what we currently have. I think the answer is a firm YES, but always at the right price.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Hit the nail, Billy. It is a business, every team has a limited cap, and there's no room for sentiment.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Nailed it.
Exactly. Aiden Sezer was the last halfback to have us in a GF.
People would rather chase a unicorn than provide a platform that allows you to stay competitive.
I'm not a fan of everything Dufty does but having him running off SJs hip would have most sides **** themselves.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: June 12, 2021, 3:38 pm I wonder who our talent scouts are looking at in terms of half backs for next season. Penrith took the time to blood Cleary with Maloney. Do we go with a young player beside Jack? Do we look to the Rugby ranks for players with a strong kicking/passing game as we once did with Sticky? Sides with strong kicking games eat up field position and take pressure off the rest of the team. I am a fan of Sam Williams but I don't think he can lead us to finals. That finals goal should always be our aim.

Shaun Johnson has not been kind in his comments about Canberra. He will be looking for a large contract. The question is: is he an upgrade on what we currently have. I think the answer is a firm YES, but always at the right price.
This is an interesting question. Seems rugby is only tapped into for athletic outside backs nowadays, particularly when we get them from Pacific island nations.

Surely, there is a rugby half kicking around NZ who could convert? They’re so deep over there that the fifth best guy would still be excellent.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:02 pm
RedRaider wrote: June 12, 2021, 3:38 pm I wonder who our talent scouts are looking at in terms of half backs for next season. Penrith took the time to blood Cleary with Maloney. Do we go with a young player beside Jack? Do we look to the Rugby ranks for players with a strong kicking/passing game as we once did with Sticky? Sides with strong kicking games eat up field position and take pressure off the rest of the team. I am a fan of Sam Williams but I don't think he can lead us to finals. That finals goal should always be our aim.

This is an interesting question. Seems rugby is only tapped into for athletic outside backs nowadays, particularly when we get them from Pacific island nations.

Surely, there is a rugby half kicking around NZ who could convert? They’re so deep over there that the fifth best guy would still be excellent.
Given Johnson is the best option, he's expensive, and there's very little out there, I mentioned recruiting a rugby half in several posts earlier in the week/ last week. Due to COVID, there's not a much money in rugby as in previous years. I think it's an option for us if you have a good half that can kick well, kick goals and also organise the team
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:50 pm
Nailed it.
Exactly. Aiden Sezer was the last halfback to have us in a GF.
People would rather chase a unicorn than provide a platform that allows you to stay competitive.
I'm not a fan of everything Dufty does but having him running off SJs hip would have most sides **** themselves.
I don’t think anyone disagrees with this…
What most are saying (which I agree with) is that SJ seems to have priced us out of the discussion and is happy to play in Sydney at a discount..

Knowing this, are you happy to over pay for him? $900k is the figure being touted to play for us, whereas $600k to $700k is what seems to be his rate for South’s and Bulldogs…

There is no Unicorn, i agree with that point…
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yep, if you can get Johnson in for no more than $700k then you'd do it but $800-900k is too steep
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

SJ was rubbish in the second half - until he kicked the field goal. Yet, if he made an effort to tackle the scores wouldn't have been level anyway. He's not worth whatever he's asking, and Cronulla know it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 13, 2021, 1:31 am SJ was rubbish in the second half - until he kicked the field goal. Yet, if he made an effort to tackle the scores wouldn't have been level anyway. He's not worth whatever he's asking, and Cronulla know it.
Don't worry, he'll have a shocker next week and $500k will come off the price people are willing to pay him.

Until he has one decent play the week after that and we go into million dollar territory :roflmao
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:02 pm

Rugby is a fair idea. Worth noting Ricky had played tour matches for the Wallabies and was in the running to be the next Wallabies half... Not a 3rd string club player. It'd be a project might take a couple of years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 13, 2021, 1:31 am SJ was rubbish in the second half - until he kicked the field goal. Yet, if he made an effort to tackle the scores wouldn't have been level anyway. He's not worth whatever he's asking, and Cronulla know it.
I'm picking up what you're putting down.

He could be a final piece of the puzzle to get you over the line, but at this point in time he's not a player you build around.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:I'd argue Starling and Kris need more experience before we judge what they will become and I'd rather not overpay Croker and Hodgson for what I know im going to get... given thier age and injury history moreso than their contribution when they were younger and fitter...
It's not Supercoach. You can't just switch players in and out when you're ready to move onto the next player. You can't reduce a players salary mid contract. Rightly or wrongly, when players perform well above their salary most sides bump up their contract but I don't think I've ever seen it go the other way. A players 'next' contract may be less than the 'current' one but that negotiation doesn't happen mid contract.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gergreg wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:01 am
GreenMachine wrote:I'd argue Starling and Kris need more experience before we judge what they will become and I'd rather not overpay Croker and Hodgson for what I know im going to get... given thier age and injury history moreso than their contribution when they were younger and fitter...
It's not Supercoach. You can't just switch players in and out when you're ready to move onto the next player. You can't reduce a players salary mid contract. Rightly or wrongly, when players perform well above their salary most sides bump up their contract but I don't think I've ever seen it go the other way. A players 'next' contract may be less than the 'current' one but that negotiation doesn't happen mid contract.

You missed the point by a mile.
I’m implying id rather pay younger talented players knowing they will have mixed performances as they develop experience INSTEAD of overpaying older players who are on the wrong side of 30, with an injury history and are pretty much a known quantity….like SJ.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GreenMachine wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:01 am

You missed the point by a mile.
I’m implying id rather pay younger talented players knowing they will have mixed performances as they develop experience INSTEAD of overpaying older players who are on the wrong side of 30, with an injury history and are pretty much a known quantity….like SJ.
You overpay young players you end up like the Broncos. Player managers know who is being paid what. If you don't have a good balance of young players and experience - so the young guys learn their craft and salaries that match that dynamic, again you end up like the Broncos. If you start cranking up salaries for the young talented guys, the player managers get a whiff and soon enough the young guys all want that money, or they revolt and head for the door. Again the Broncos are the perfect example. If you're refusing to pay your senior players higher salaries, again the player managers know it ... they know that clubs are obligated to spend the majority of their cap so the money has to go to someone.

irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Surely there's an oztag player we could pick up.. gotta plan for where the game is going.. Someone said SJ runs around like an oztag player we just need a younger one

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk