Broncos 13+
24%

Total votes: 25

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2021 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:15 am Coates signed on for 150k LESS than what Cotric signed for. And is exactly the offer we were willing to go to for him.

This idea that if we’d have come stumped up another 50k, that he’d have stayed in Canberra for 550k and given up 100k and living in the city he wanted to be in is absolutely fantasy stuff

He wanted us to come up on our offer, and reportedly tried to get the roosters involved to leverage as much money as he could at a Sydney club

What is even more fanciful is the concept that the 2021 problems wouldn’t exist if we just had nick Cotric :lol:
I think we're going around in circles we've been around before. I think wingers are important in the modern game. There are others who say the "living in Sydney" wasn't a factor and it was the money and then the offer was yanked. The fact is you don't know and neither do it.

I think the idea that looking at our back5, we wouldn't be a better team with Cotric and in a better position than now having to try and find an x factor player back there is fanciful. But that's just me.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:09 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:03 am Making the 8 is a moot point if we can't win this one IMO.
It's a moot point either way, we will be cannon fodder even if we did make the 8 by some miracle.
Exactly.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If I recall correctly, last time that Karmichael Hunt played the Raiders, we won 56-0. Hoping for part 2.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 10, 2021, 12:22 pm If I recall correctly, last time that Karmichael Hunt played the Raiders, we won 56-0. Hoping for part 2.
Yeah but we did have Josh McCrone at the time...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Azza wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:09 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:03 am Making the 8 is a moot point if we can't win this one IMO.
It's a moot point either way, we will be cannon fodder even if we did make the 8 by some miracle.
Exactly.
Eh if we came in on the back of 10 straight wins it would be a different story

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

yeh raiders wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 10, 2021, 12:22 pm If I recall correctly, last time that Karmichael Hunt played the Raiders, we won 56-0. Hoping for part 2.
Yeah but we did have Josh McCrone at the time...
Well get him in there sir
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Broncos: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34653

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... v-broncos/

VIDEO: Throwback Thursday: Raiders run riot over Broncos in 56-0 drubbing: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... r-broncos/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m actually keen to see Simonsson at fullback. He cops so much shot from everyone but I think he’s a pretty handy player and just about every winger in the competition would look horrible on the end of our 2021 backline.

I was very disappointed in his putting the ball dead play the other week but besides that I think most criticisms have been either embellished or unwarranted. I don’t think he’s a first grade full back per se but I reckon he’ll go ok.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah I don't get a lot of the criticism of Simo on here.

He's not a game breaker, but then again I'm pretty sure he's far from being paid like one either. Decent speed, solid hands, big leap, sound defensively. Makes good metres for a winger too, plus he's fairly high on our tackle breaks lists from memory.

I think we're used to guys like Rapana and Cotric crabbing in field and using their big frames to make breaks, brushing off multiple defenders at a time. That's not Simo's game. Atm though, he just sees little to no ball outside of donkey work out of our end.

Get him into decent try scoring positions and I'm confident he'll be finishing them off better than most in this squad.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:30 pm Yeah I don't get a lot of the criticism of Simo on here.

He's not a game breaker, but then again I'm pretty sure he's far from being paid like one either. Decent speed, solid hands, big leap, sound defensively. Makes good metres for a winger too, plus he's fairly high on our tackle breaks lists from memory.

I think we're used to guys like Rapana and Cotric crabbing in field and using their big frames to make breaks, brushing off multiple defenders at a time. That's not Simo's game. Atm though, he just sees little to no ball outside of donkey work out of our end.

Get him into decent try scoring positions and I'm confident he'll be finishing them off better than most in this squad.
I think for him it's that he started off playing pretty well for a young, new player and then people haven't seen the progression they were hoping to see from him since. A case of high expectations that haven't been met combined with the fact that our whole team is playing **** which doesn't help him. My assessment as he currently stands is he'd be great playing the role of first cab off the rank if one of your first choice wingers gets injured but a bit underwhelming as a week in, week out player.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

-PJ- wrote: June 10, 2021, 5:59 am I believe we’ll make the 8.

Jokes aside, I think we will.
I actuall think the bye has freshen up the lads, and to play broncos is a perfect start to build confidence, in saying that broncos will put up a fight, but if we play the same as we have last 7 games the season is gone
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

BadnMean wrote: June 9, 2021, 6:56 pm
Crusader wrote: June 9, 2021, 3:49 pm as bad as he is playing, Cotric would of solved some problems
Yep good call. Do you actually watch games or just go with the FB vibe? Struggling? He's doing well for any team, especially considering where he's at as a club. People are sanctifying Jordy Raps around here (great bloke) for his efforts lately but his output is actually WAY below Cotric's last month of footy...

That guy with last 3 games stats of : 2 tries, 4 line breaks, 20 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 140m per game, who makes about .33 errors less per game than Rapana... yeah he's really struggling.

And the stats aren't cherry picked, been pretty good all season. Just plays for a crap club now- the same treatment from casual fans Raiders players can expect again now.

But yeah that 50k extra really looks a dynamite saving now Donny.
Na bro, he sucks at dogs
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:13 pm Probably cause we're only 2 points out with a softer run home

We will win more than we lose in the run home. Two games against Manly will be the key. Need to get a few speedy Raiders fans to challenge Turbo for a race up The Corso before those games.
Surprised you feel that way, I genuinely think we won’t win another game.

Even meeting somewhere in the middle I can’t see us winning more than we lose, not even close.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 9:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:13 pm Probably cause we're only 2 points out with a softer run home

We will win more than we lose in the run home. Two games against Manly will be the key. Need to get a few speedy Raiders fans to challenge Turbo for a race up The Corso before those games.

Even meeting somewhere in the middle I can’t see us winning more than we lose, not even close.
We can revisit the topic in September
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote:

Won't win another game :cmon ... Good Grief Champ... * checks notes * You're wrong Pal
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Won't win another game :cmon ... Good Grief Champ... * checks notes * You're wrong Pal
I’m currently 7-nil against you, pal

So back in your box under mum and dad’s stairs there, sport
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 9:51 pm
Raiders666 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I’m currently 7-nil against you, pal

So back in your box under mum and dad’s stairs there, sport
I'm just here for the banta
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Albert Kelly out with hamstring injury

Albert Kelly has a hamstring injury and will miss Brisbane's match against Canberra. Cory Paix and Tyson Gamble (who is not in the squad) are the options to replace him in the starting side.

"We’ll look at what options we’ve got available to us … that’s the NRL – you get to the final training session and a player goes down, we’ve got to be strong enough mentally to get ourselves around that," Broncos coach Kevin Walters said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/09/rou ... ilability/
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Don't worry guys, Papa is leaving nothing in the tank.
Also I heard the boys want to make Canberra a fortress again.
👍
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: June 11, 2021, 1:30 pm Don't worry guys, Papa is leaving nothing in the tank.
Also I heard the boys want to make Canberra a fortress again.
👍
Looking back over it all again, we were doomed from the start. I don't think I heard a single player describe it as the toughest pre season ever.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

is it too late to grow beards?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sticky mentions in the latest vid Harley Smith-Shields back into full training. Jarrod Croker 2-3 weeks from returning.
Last edited by zim on June 11, 2021, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart and Kevin Walters: A friendship that goes back to the glamour days of the Canberra Raiders and Brisbane Broncos

In the 1990s, it was the Grand Final clash that everyone dreamed about. The Canberra Raiders versus the Brisbane Broncos. They were the glamour teams of the time, but it was the Grand Final that just never happened.

Fast forward to the 2020s and we find those two teams struggling at the bottom of the competition ladder. The Brisbane Broncos were the wooden spooners for the first time in their history in 2020. The Raiders made a Preliminary Final last year, but their fall from grace in 2021 has been rapid.

Both teams meet at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night, desperate to climb out of their bottom four positions.

The coaches of the two teams, Ricky Stuart and Kevin Walters, played together at the Raiders back in 1988 and 1989. Both played in green in the famous 1989 Grand Final, Stuart in the No. 7 and Walters off the bench. It was the first premiership for the Raiders and both players.

Walters left Canberra at the end of that year to join the Broncos - and went on to win five premierships with the Queensland outfit. Stuart ended up winning three with Canberra - as did Kevin's brother, legendary hooker, Steve Walters.

"I'm good friends with their coach," Raiders mentor, Ricky Stuart said of Kevin Walters today.

"I understand the situation they're going through and he understands ours. Talking to his brother Steve during the week he said the same thing."

"We'll catch up after the game and one's going to be upset and one's going to be happy. We understand each other's positions at the moment."

"They're a very big team. I don't think it'll be a scrappy affair, I think it'll be quite a physical affair because we've both got quite a big football team."

The Raiders have had a week off due to the bye, and Stuart believes it will do his team the world of good, after a season marred by off field disruptions and poor performances on field.

"I can only judge on how they've returned and they've been great," Stuart said.

"We've had some struggles. But the camaraderie, the mateship amongst the players is pulling them through this."

"They all bounced back into work this week and they had a lot of energy. I can see from a mental point of view, it's been a really good freshen up for them."

Ricky Stuart is happy he's getting some players back from injury and suspension. Josh Papalii will start at prop on Saturday night, after serving a three game suspension, while forward Joe Tapine has been included on the bench after recovering from a knee injury.

"We're slowly getting some players back from injury," Stuart said.

"A couple of the younger boys, Harley Smith-Shields and Albert Hopoate are back into full training. Albert's played now for a couple of games."

"Jarrod Croker is probably around two to three games away from returning as well. So we're slowly getting some players back.

"The return of Joe Tapine and Josh Papalii this week are great inclusions for the team as well."

"They're both international players. They both bring different games to our whole of performance. We need them as a club, as a team, as a coach, we need them playing their best football."

"They've both looked very healthy. They've both worked very hard, one, in rehabilitation, with Joe. With Josh, he's worked very hard and got down to a really good weight in his time in suspension."

"I need a big game out of both of them."

Stuart revealed today that he's set a new playing weight for Papalii - in light of new rules in 2021 to speed up the game - and the big prop has achieved the target.

"Papa's been playing this season around the same weight he has the last two years. So he hasn't been playing overweight," Stuart said.

"During the three week suspension period, we challenged him to get down to another weight, another level of weight and he has."

"He knew how critical it was to get there and he worked very hard."

"Papa's a good fellow. He cares a lot about the club, his team, his team mates and the position we're in."

"When I've got a player that has that type of care and concern for the situation, I respect that. It hurts him."

"He's a Raider through and through. He's been here all his career and he doesn't like to see us in this position."

"I've had a couple of really deep chats with Josh, not about Josh, just about our situation and about the way we can get out of it."

Stuart has selected winger Bailey Simonsson at fullback this week. It will be just his second NRL match in the No. 1 jersey.

Caleb Aekins has been filling in for Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad at fullback, but he had an unhappy game against the Roosters.

With Nicoll-Klokstad recovering from neck surgery, and sidelined for the rest of the season, Stuart will be hoping that Simonsson can grow into the role.

"Bailey's always wanting to get more involved in attack," Stuart said today.

"He's always asking the question how to get his contribution up and this is a great chance for him."

"He's practiced at fullback before, he's filled in a little bit at fullback before. I know he's excited about the opportunity and the challenge."

"Bailey's background is in rugby union. He's played for New Zealand Sevens. I think he's had a little bit of time there."

"He's got some good solid attack. He's got some good skill and he's quite a big body."

"It's a tough position, it's one of the hardest positions on the field to play. It takes a lot of energy and your workload's very high."

Five eighth Jack Wighton was the only Raider who played in State of Origin I in Townsville on Wednesday night. Physically, he should be right to back up, as he played for only 16 minutes off the bench. Stuart also thinks the Origin experience will also benefit him mentally.

"It's very good from a personal point of view for Jack to go away and have another challenge with Origin," Stuart said.

"Find a new role coming from a No. 14 position. It's awkward at times, you're up and you think you're going on and you've got to sit back down. And then he goes on in a couple of different positions."

"I think it was a good mental break for Jack. Moving away from a pretty stressful period here, to go in and freshen up with a new bunch of team mates, playing the pinnacle of rugby league in Origin."

"Talking to him last night,he sounded really positive and upbeat. So hopefully the Origin camp has been a treat for him."

A report for The Greenhouse

Dramas won't distract Canberra Raiders: Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart is confident the latest drama - centre Curtis Scott being stood down - won't affect the Green Machine against the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

"It won't have any impact, no. It seems to be happening each week," Stuart said. "I'd like to know what's going to happen next week so I can get a bit more planned. But it won't have an impact on the team."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders misfire without their Turbo

Bailey Simonsson has big boots to fill when he runs out in the No.1 jersey against the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium on Saturday. The Raiders have won 65.4 per cent of their games with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and 30 per cent without him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart on return of Papalii and Tapine: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... -fullback/

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Broncos: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... v-broncos/

VIDEO: Karlmichael Hunt makes his return to the NRL after 12 years when Canberra Raiders host Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium. Jamie Soward previews the match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/11/rai ... -round-14/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Setting a lower playing weight for Josh Papalii is one of the first hints that the club has recognised that the they’ve got the fitness levels wrong.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

afgtnk wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:30 pm Yeah I don't get a lot of the criticism of Simo on here.

I think he's a bit unco, with little feel for the game. I've low confidence in this appraisal.

I am confident that Valemei loads more potential
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 30, 2021, 8:03 pm Would be keen to see Timoko get a run somewhere
Happy with that. He was strong in his handful of appearances last year. Was baffled why he hadn't been given a chance this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2021, 11:54 am
Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2021, 10:38 am
Northern Raider wrote:
AJL wrote: May 29, 2021, 11:26 pm Only cause for optimism is to hope that the week off freshens everyone up.
Plus we're playing the Broncos. If any team is suffering more pain than us right now it's them.
I disagree, we’re in a much bigger hole than them. Our season has now hit Broncos 2020 level.
So put your money on the Broncos then.
Well I’ve already placed about a dozen various bets with people that we won’t win another game, so I’ve effectively already done that, smart guy.
In your faces, The Nickman :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2021, 10:38 am
Northern Raider wrote: Plus we're playing the Broncos. If any team is suffering more pain than us right now it's them.
I disagree, we’re in a much bigger hole than them. Our season has now hit Broncos 2020 level.
Well I’ve already placed about a dozen various bets with people that we won’t win another game, so I’ve effectively already done that, smart guy.
NR I think the correct expression is *checks notes* "somebody needs to scratch their balls out of the back of their fishnet stockings"

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: June 13, 2021, 11:24 am
Dr Zaius wrote: May 30, 2021, 8:03 pm Would be keen to see Timoko get a run somewhere
Happy with that. He was strong in his handful of appearances last year. Was baffled why he hadn't been given a chance this year.
Not only Timoko. Also great to see Semi stamping himself has an NRL quality winger. Simo also much better contributor at fullback than he is on the wing. Several immediate areas of concern being somewhat alleviated.

This is of course tempered by the fact that it was against the Broncos. That team is plain awful.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 30, 2021, 10:38 am I disagree, we’re in a much bigger hole than them. Our season has now hit Broncos 2020 level.
NR I think the correct expression is *checks notes* "somebody needs to scratch their balls out of the back of their fishnet stockings"

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
*checks notes* checks out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk