Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2021, 2:29 pm I remember when Crawley took over, i did a bit of research on him, he had an extensive career as an assistant the common theme across all his stops was consistently improved attack.
The post about it is probably somewhere on this site. From memory though it was something like 70% of the teams he was involved in year to year were top 5 in points scored.

And teams he joined saw an immediate uptick in points. Been searching around but cant seem to find it.
But i remember thinking there was too much evidence weighted for it to be a coincidence
Is he with the Dragons now?
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:I remember when Crawley took over, i did a bit of research on him, he had an extensive career as an assistant the common theme across all his stops was consistently improved attack.
The post about it is probably somewhere on this site. From memory though it was something like 70% of the teams he was involved in year to year were top 5 in points scored.

And teams he joined saw an immediate uptick in points. Been searching around but cant seem to find it.
But i remember thinking there was too much evidence weighted for it to be a coincidence
Luckily the McKay Cutters are the only club who realise this stat. Image
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Our attack is far too conservative for this era of footy. That's the main issue. The lack of bodies in motion is an obvious thing we need to fix but on top of that, we need to keep the ball in motion a little more. One out all the time just doesn't work anymore. You need the players and the style of play that will keep the opposition guessing on whether they might pass the ball. That's why players like Junior Paulo have made a resurgence in this era. Fittler picked the NSW side based on this factor and while I don't think he's the sharpest coach there is, I think he's thinking along the right lines.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on June 2, 2021, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: June 2, 2021, 2:33 pm
Botman wrote: June 2, 2021, 2:29 pm I remember when Crawley took over, i did a bit of research on him, he had an extensive career as an assistant the common theme across all his stops was consistently improved attack.

Is he with the Dragons now?
as BJ alluded too above, he's HC of the Mackay Cutters now
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bob Turnington, I mentioned him in the coaching issues thread

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: June 2, 2021, 2:45 pm Bob Turnington, I mentioned him in the coaching issues thread

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Yeah, whatever happened to Bob Turnington? Seems to have faded into obscurity a little, didn't he??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prepared to sit on their hands in halves recruitment battle

The Raiders will resist the urge to rush into signing a replacement halfback, and are willing to put their faith in veteran Sam Williams to wear the number seven for the rest of 2021.

"Sam Williams is there, he's done the job for us before and he deserves his opportunity," Raiders recruitment boss Peter Mulholland said. "Brad Schneider he's a great kid. We've got to give him time"

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Greenballs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Greenballs »

All the talk here is focusing on our attack yet the way we are defending at the moment, leaking 30+ points on a regular basis, would mean we still need to score in excess of that to collect the 2 points each week. The right edge (Scott in particular) this year has let in more points than they have delivered. How about getting our defence back to where it was in 2019-2020 and maybe the attack will come...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman: We cant just sit on our hands

The Raiders: Ummmm, yeah, we can. Put that on the headlines.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Notice it says for the rest of 2021, doesnt say squat about 22
spotto79
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by spotto79 »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Our attack is far too conservative for this era of footy. That's the main issue. The lack of bodies in motion is an obvious thing we need to fix but on top of that, we need to keep the ball in motion a little more. One out all the time just doesn't work anymore. You need the players and the style of play that will keep the opposition guessing on whether they might pass the ball. That's why players like Junior Paulo have made a resurgence in this era. Fitter picked the NSW side based on this factor and while I don't think he's the sharpest coach there is, I think he's thinking along the right lines.
Wighton to lock. Puts him in the middle third to have greater passage width on his runs rather than a narrow corridor on the left. Give him link man first receiver roles where he calls the play to run or pass. Daley did it. So can Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

There’s always reasonably good players who pop onto the market at unexpected times. I’d rather wait than get someone who’s not the best option or we pay overs for.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Greenballs wrote: June 2, 2021, 5:39 pm All the talk here is focusing on our attack yet the way we are defending at the moment, leaking 30+ points on a regular basis, would mean we still need to score in excess of that to collect the 2 points each week. The right edge (Scott in particular) this year has let in more points than they have delivered. How about getting our defence back to where it was in 2019-2020 and maybe the attack will come...
Welcome.

I'd say that you can't defend like it's 2019 anymore. You can't just sit back and absorb pressure without throwing anything back at the other team. 6 agains have fundamentally changed the flow of possession. If you get the ball and pressure the opposition by making good yards and half breaks and getting momentum, you then get rewarded by 6 agains and a glut of possession and keep the ball.

If you have zero attack even when you do get the ball, you get smashed by the team who has momentum beacause they haven't had a 35 second rest like we had with 4 one out ruck ups/dummy half runs and one spread. They've had 90 seconds-2 minutes with the ball and can afford to pour energy into linespeed to smash our predictable attack that they can compress on because we have no speed to go around anyone anyway.

You're not defending one set anymore, then a rest and get the ball and get into a grind. You're defending 8-9 tackles and always defusing attacking kicks and starting sets from crap positions, if not repeat sets.

You NEED to be able to throw some punches back to steal momentum back in this footy. You need some weapons. You can't tackle your way to heroism in regular NRL games because it's not the same game, 5 tackles and get it back. That's gone. Attackers win momentum and then get endless set restarts when you're on the back foot. You can't hold that out for long.

So you need some punch. At the moment we don't have quite enough. Our forwards haven't aimed up. We have the worst back 5 in the comp or close to. And the slowest by a margin. If we had some smart attacking structures we could still get better results but we have attacked like a busted **** all year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 2, 2021, 9:28 pm
Greenballs wrote: June 2, 2021, 5:39 pm All the talk here is focusing on our attack yet the way we are defending at the moment, leaking 30+ points on a regular basis, would mean we still need to score in excess of that to collect the 2 points each week. The right edge (Scott in particular) this year has let in more points than they have delivered. How about getting our defence back to where it was in 2019-2020 and maybe the attack will come...
Welcome.

I'd say that you can't defend like it's 2019 anymore. You can't just sit back and absorb pressure without throwing anything back at the other team. 6 agains have fundamentally changed the flow of possession. If you get the ball and pressure the opposition by making good yards and half breaks and getting momentum, you then get rewarded by 6 agains and a glut of possession and keep the ball.

If you have zero attack even when you do get the ball, you get smashed by the team who has momentum beacause they haven't had a 35 second rest like we had with 4 one out ruck ups/dummy half runs and one spread. They've had 90 seconds-2 minutes with the ball and can afford to pour energy into linespeed to smash our predictable attack that they can compress on because we have no speed to go around anyone anyway.

You're not defending one set anymore, then a rest and get the ball and get into a grind. You're defending 8-9 tackles and always defusing attacking kicks and starting sets from crap positions, if not repeat sets.

You NEED to be able to throw some punches back to steal momentum back in this footy. You need some weapons. You can't tackle your way to heroism in regular NRL games because it's not the same game, 5 tackles and get it back. That's gone. Attackers win momentum and then get endless set restarts when you're on the back foot. You can't hold that out for long.

So you need some punch. At the moment we don't have quite enough. Our forwards haven't aimed up. We have the worst back 5 in the comp or close to. And the slowest by a margin. If we had some smart attacking structures we could still get better results but we have attacked like a busted **** all year.
If there’s one post everybody should read it’s this.
Succinctly explains why attack really is the new form of defence with these new rules.
Well said..
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

Welcome.

Great post.

I wonder how our 2016 team would have done under PVL ball...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

spotto79 wrote: June 2, 2021, 8:26 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:Our attack is far too conservative for this era of footy. That's the main issue. The lack of bodies in motion is an obvious thing we need to fix but on top of that, we need to keep the ball in motion a little more. One out all the time just doesn't work anymore. You need the players and the style of play that will keep the opposition guessing on whether they might pass the ball. That's why players like Junior Paulo have made a resurgence in this era. Fitter picked the NSW side based on this factor and while I don't think he's the sharpest coach there is, I think he's thinking along the right lines.
Wighton to lock. Puts him in the middle third to have greater passage width on his runs rather than a narrow corridor on the left. Give him link man first receiver roles where he calls the play to run or pass. Daley did it. So can Jack.

I wouldn't mind wighton to lock if we could bring in a gun 6 to replace him but I highly doubt that's a direction we'd even consider heading in. I would say that it's levels above Ricky's idea to use Hodgson in that lock role though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha Wighton to lock? Great suggestion, now we have one more middle forward and need TWO halves instead of one.

That’s roster management straight out of the Rocky Stewart manual.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 2, 2021, 11:09 pm
spotto79 wrote: June 2, 2021, 8:26 pm

I wouldn't mind wighton to lock if we could bring in a gun 6 to replace him but I highly doubt that's a direction we'd even consider heading in. I would say that it's levels above Ricky's idea to use Hodgson in that lock role though.
Yeah tricky one. Because Jack would be a gun lock. He'd be pretty damn good anywhere you put him. Turning Hodgo into a makeshift lock looks like a riskier proposition- Jack improves defence there and Hodgo makes it worse (Hodogo + Starling make 2 small men targets).Jack has the passing gameto the left but Hodgo can genuinely pass both ways well and has the better short ball game with forwards imo. Athletically, speed and tackle breaking/yards its no contest. Hodgo is way game smarter. And i guess the theory has come about because our team lacks brains + leaders and Hodgo is both of those.

Problem with the Jack one is it leaves us needing 2 new halves. No club wants to be in that position. I suppose you could go hard at Johnson in that case (one half needs to be a star quality and he's the closest around now, despite big injury concerns) and hope for Schneider in the other spot. Or do something wacky like pick Rapana there for a year (I honestly think he was a great winger who also had the physical, if not mental discipline skills to be a playmaker). But that's not smelling like something Ricky would do.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Welcome.

Great analysis :clap:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wighton to lock isn't the most outrageous notion...it will eventually happen in my opinion, particularly under these new rules...

As many have pointed out, it leaves you looking for a fresh halves pairing which sets us back further in terms of premiership opportunity...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:37 am Wighton to lock isn't the most outrageous notion...it will eventually happen in my opinion, particularly under these new rules...

As many have pointed out, it leaves you looking for a fresh halves pairing which sets us back further in terms of premiership opportunity...
Wighton shift to forwards will be more likely be an edge backrower than in the middle.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:40 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:37 am Wighton to lock isn't the most outrageous notion...it will eventually happen in my opinion, particularly under these new rules...

Wighton shift to forwards will be more likely be an edge backrower than in the middle.
Not so sure. The way the game is, Wighton backing up and sniffing chances through the middle always around the ball is a really attractive option. He'd lead line speed there too. But anyway he's our 5/8.
Last edited by BadnMean on June 3, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I understand the temptation for that given how his career has moved...
However, I genuinely believe he is better suited in the middle (from an attacking perspective) as it allows him more touches with the ball...
His speed, size and footwork would trouble opposing middles and grant us a supply of set restarts...
As a club, I really think we must start prioritising attack (to monopolise possession) over the conservative approach...
Having players in the middle of the park that are a 'mismatch' for the opposition in terms of speed and skillset is a path to achieve this...
Last edited by GreenMachine on June 3, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:48 am

Not so sure. The way the game is, Wighton backing up and sniffing chances through the middle always around the ball is a really attractive option. He'd lead line speed there too.
Exactly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not so sure. The way the game is, Wighton backing up and sniffing chances through the middle always around the ball is a really attractive option. He'd lead line speed there too.
Makes sense in theory. Problem is Wighton does not do that instinctively. Even when he was fullback he would rarely hunt around the middle. More so he would sweep around he back and look for the wide play, primarily on the left. Since his shift to the halves he's played almost exclusively on the left. Whenever he combines with Sezer or Williams it would be them moving to his side. I also can't recall him looking to make any plays up the middle. He was always on the left side and either passing left or cutting back in and running himself.
Last edited by Northern Raider on June 3, 2021, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:54 am

Makes sense in theory. Problem is Wighton does not do that instinctively. Even when he was fullback he would rarely hunt around the middle. More so he would sweep around he back and look for the wide play, primarily on the left. Since his shift to the halves he's played almost exclusively on the left. Whenever he combines with Sezer or Williams it would be them moving to his side. I also can recall him looking to make any plays up the middle. He was always on the left side and either passing left or cutting back in and running himself.
In both those roles, he has had to play on the left in attack due to our supporting cast (maybe less as a fullback)..
As a middle, he will have the opportunity to receive the ball whatever side of the ruck he is standing on...
He'd be a menace to defend given he could run first, play the ball quickly or pass and support...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Makes sense in theory. Problem is Wighton does not do that instinctively. Even when he was fullback he would rarely hunt around the middle. More so he would sweep around he back and look for the wide play, primarily on the left. Since his shift to the halves he's played almost exclusively on the left. Whenever he combines with Sezer or Williams it would be them moving to his side. I also can recall him looking to make any plays up the middle. He was always on the left side and either passing left or cutting back in and running himself.
Very good point. He's definitely much better suited to a left edge than a middle ball-player.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Move Cotric to fullback
Hodgson to halfback
McCrone to hooker
Why isn't Luke Page getting a game either, **** me
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:01 am

In both those roles, he has had to play on the left in attack due to our supporting cast (maybe less as a fullback)..
As a middle, he will have the opportunity to receive the ball whatever side of the ruck he is standing on...
He'd be a menace to defend given he could run first, play the ball quickly or pass and support...
Once again we are applying a theory to somebody who has shown almost zero instinct his entire career for doing exactly that. He clearly more comfortable playing wide and has rarely been seen in the middle.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:07 am Move Cotric to fullback
Hodgson to halfback
McCrone to hooker
You mean Luke PAGE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I wish this thread would stop getting bumped. It makes me sad
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:11 am
Hodgson to halfback
McCrone to hooker
You mean Luke PAGE
With the way his career petered out after a few minutes of reserve grade glory, I feel he's lost the right to the capitalisation of his name.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:09 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:01 am
Once again we are applying a theory to somebody who has shown almost zero instinct his entire career for doing exactly that. He clearly more comfortable playing wide and has rarely been seen in the middle.
If that were the case, he'd be playing centre...where the NSW selectors and many football pundits clearly think he best fits.

Yes we are applying theory too...one that hasn't been tested, so it's hard to say it wouldn't be successful given his physicality and skillset.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hodgson to halfback
McCrone to hooker
Yeah all these were **** idea's and still are today.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Tbf though I reckon about 95% of those 'move player X to Y position' ideas originate from Seiffert82.