Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

Post by Azza »

TR was right. We won't see another Raiders premiership in his lifetime. We blew it in 2019 and are now on a very slippery slope
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

benda wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:51 pm
gergreg wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:50 pm Hmmm. We should see if Connor Treacey is interested in playing for our side in the halves. They have Johnson and Moylan so maybe we can squeeze out Connor.
Id give Johnson a go.
A little injury prone and has said he hates Canberra. I do like the look of Connor though. I think he has improved a lot this year. And has plenty of potential.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

gergreg wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:50 pm Hmmm. We should see if Connor Treacey is interested in playing for our side in the halves. They have Johnson and Moylan so maybe we can squeeze out Connor.
Agree. He can run, and is willing. Might be a Sticky type player. Surely he's forced out with the Hynes signing, unless they're planning to play him halfback... I doubt it

Worst case he makes a good centre. Make it happen
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Azza wrote:TR was right. We won't see another Raiders premiership in his lifetime. We blew it in 2019 and are now on a very slippery slope
HIS lifetime??

Our lifetime. Our.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I reckon they’ve got a great deal at $600,000.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:10 pm
Azza wrote:TR was right. We won't see another Raiders premiership in his lifetime. We blew it in 2019 and are now on a very slippery slope
HIS lifetime??

Our lifetime. Our.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
But you're old..I still retain hope re mine
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I think you’ll find Johnson and Moylan are being squeezed out...
What are the odds they end up with us? lol
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As if I wasn’t already depressed enough.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Connor tracey re-signed with cronulla a few weeks back.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Our recruitment department are awesome

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:11 pm I reckon they’ve got a great deal at $600,000.
Bargain
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Can't yas get some waves down there in that swampy lake.****
Last edited by Off on June 1, 2021, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

kiwi raider wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:13 pm Connor tracey re-signed with cronulla a few weeks back.
I thought that may have been the case. We're going to miss everything here. Hynes, Dufty... inaction is going to kill us.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

kiwi raider wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:13 pm Connor tracey re-signed with cronulla a few weeks back.
😩 Our roster is really starting to fall behind. Amazing how quick it happens...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Dufty is there on a platter...
There are no takers.
Unlike Hynes he’s purely a fullback and there aren’t many clubs in desperate need for him given his stature...
Like it or not, but having a larger fullback is an advantage under the high ball and kick return...
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I am convinced we've dodged a bullet here. In a way I hope I'm wrong cause I kinda like this kid but I honestly reckon he will struggle out of the storm system like about half a dozen other promising halves have. I don't think 600k is a bargain for a 25 year old kid with less than 50 first grade nrl games. I actually think they've paid overs.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

benda wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:11 pm I reckon they’ve got a great deal at $600,000.
Bargain
He's in the situation right now at the storm where he's playing fullback or in the halves, and whilst there are some similarities, if he was a fulltime fullback vs fullback half, things change a little bit to accomidate that better

Im very curious about who they pair with him in the halves, but i think this is the type of guy who with the certainity about where he's playing, will take his game to the next level at that position
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

Post by gangrenous »

Dufty starting to smell real fishy.

The way Dragons were shopping him before seemingly having a replacement. Lack of interest from other clubs falling over themselves for Hynes.

It feels like there’s some known issue amongst the NRL community.
Last edited by gangrenous on June 1, 2021, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

GreenMachine wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:25 pm Dufty is there on a platter...
There are no takers.
Unlike Hynes he’s purely a fullback and there aren’t many clubs in desperate need for him given his stature...
Like it or not, but having a larger fullback is an advantage under the high ball and kick return...
Lack of action on Dufty tells us all we need to know about Sticky and CNK: he's locked on as fullback.

Most clubs don't want Dufty because they already have very good fullbacks
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Call Don and tell him to put down the pen on the proposal he was working on - Hynes signed with the Sharkies. I wonder if we even made an offer?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:29 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:25 pm Dufty is there on a platter...
There are no takers.
Lack of action on Dufty tells us all we need to know about Sticky and CNK: he's locked on as fullback.

Most clubs don't want Dufty because they already have very good fullbacks
I think you'll find that stick isn't interested in Dufty because he has a better fullback in CNK. Just because there are 50 knuckleheads on here who want to blame CNK for not winning the premiership in the two years he played for us, it doesn't make it right. There are 16 other roles we need to fill ahead of fullback. Sticky to his credit has got this 100% correct
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Makaveli wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:16 pm Our recruitment department are awesome

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Its not recruitments fault that Canberra has a reputation (that precedes itself) for being boring. We should avoid signing surfy types like Nicho because they will never be happy and their heart will always long for the beach. Our recruitment policy focus on signing players from the country, NZ and England (despite recent hiccups).
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

We will sign Kyle Flanagan in a mid year transfer in 2022.

Go to bed.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not interested in Dufty at all. Not only are there red flags, he’s not a better option than CNK.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy Walker wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:34 pm Call Don and tell him to put down the pen on the proposal he was working on - Hynes signed with the Sharkies. I wonder if we even made an offer?
He's still looking for his pen that could write in all 4 fancy colours, black blue green and red.
This place is woke.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

FROG wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:26 pm I am convinced we've dodged a bullet here. In a way I hope I'm wrong cause I kinda like this kid but I honestly reckon he will struggle out of the storm system like about half a dozen other promising halves have. I don't think 600k is a bargain for a 25 year old kid with less than 50 first grade nrl games. I actually think they've paid overs.
Agree, I’m quite happy with one CNK at the back for us.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Rickmando wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:38 pm This whole pursuit (probably mostly occurring on here rather than actually at Raiders HQ) felt pretty knee-jerk to be honest.

That is not me saying Hynes is a bad player or not worth the reported 600k per season.

This club is in a deep hole. The first step is for Rick and the administration to admit that. If (big if) that happens, then the smart thing to do would be to plan a rebuild over subsequent years, targeting players that suit the way we want to play and are a good cultural fit aligned to what the club is trying to achieve. Not drop our trousers for the next available free agent “just because they are available”. Have people conveniently forgotten about where this approach got us the majority of the last 2 decades??

One thing I will give Rick credit for - he thought outside the box with the recruitment of the English lads and when it proved to be successful, he leaned right into it. The next set of moves he and Don make need to be just as deliberate and calculating. And signing a 24 year old 20-gamer who has had a recent run of half a dozen good games doesn’t really fit that bill.
The club should be looking to replicate what the Panthers have done. I don't see us bouncing back to a top 4 side any time soon unless we can buy players like Hynes and other origin quality backs. It's not going to happen though, so we should be looking to build for the long term. There is no reason the Raiders can't do what Penrith have done. The clubs are very similar really....
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

jimmy82 wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:41 pm
FROG wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:26 pm I am convinced we've dodged a bullet here. In a way I hope I'm wrong cause I kinda like this kid but I honestly reckon he will struggle out of the storm system like about half a dozen other promising halves have. I don't think 600k is a bargain for a 25 year old kid with less than 50 first grade nrl games. I actually think they've paid overs.
CNK is either a bottom 8 starting full back or a top 8 back up. Last year be proved he wasn’t anywhere near the elite fullbacks, so if we could get an upgrade by signing Dufty and moving CNK on or to the centres that would be worth considering.

Complacency is the Raiders biggest enemy. We have mild success and then mediocre players become sacrosanct which results in poor recruitment and junior development.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

FROG wrote:I am convinced we've dodged a bullet here. In a way I hope I'm wrong cause I kinda like this kid but I honestly reckon he will struggle out of the storm system like about half a dozen other promising halves have. I don't think 600k is a bargain for a 25 year old kid with less than 50 first grade nrl games. I actually think they've paid overs.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

rayden83 wrote: June 1, 2021, 9:06 pm
jimmy82 wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:41 pm
CNK is either a bottom 8 starting full back or a top 8 back up. Last year be proved he wasn’t anywhere near the elite fullbacks, so if we could get an upgrade by signing Dufty and moving CNK on or to the centres that would be worth considering.

Complacency is the Raiders biggest enemy. We have mild success and then mediocre players become sacrosanct which results in poor recruitment and junior development.
Agree. Anyone who's pro CNK (as fullback), just try naming 5 starting fullbacks he's better than. Just 5. And do yourself a favour and skip all the top teams, because he won't even be in the conversation there. The fact that he's paired with a running five eighth just compounds the issue. He could do well in certain systems (including our old grinding style, which I now hope is behind us), but not ours where we're bereft of playmakers and creativity

Anyway I won't get into the CNK debate again, just the one post only (I swear)
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Brew wrote: June 1, 2021, 9:09 pm
FROG wrote:I am convinced we've dodged a bullet here. In a way I hope I'm wrong cause I kinda like this kid but I honestly reckon he will struggle out of the storm system like about half a dozen other promising halves have. I don't think 600k is a bargain for a 25 year old kid with less than 50 first grade nrl games. I actually think they've paid overs.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whether this is true or not, I think it is concerning regardless that it seems like we won't be attracting much talent in the coming season or two due to off field issues and the like...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 1, 2021, 9:15 pm Anyway I won't get into the CNK debate again, just the one post only (I swear)
We all keep saying this
It's a lie

We've got 9 months of off season between now and 2022 kick off.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Canberra Raiders eye Nicho Hynes

Post by Boomercm »

afgtnk wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:25 pm Ok so now you've missed out on this, go out and snap Dufty up while he's still available you ambitionless ****.
I'm not getting excited over either, but if in the STirm system, Dufty likely a better player than Hynes.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I’ve been convinced for a while that we won’t move from CNK at fullback...

The best we could hope for is a halfback and better wingers in the backline...

We could definitely use a refresh in the forwards...pace and ball playing would be handy but that might be asking for too much...

To be fair, Hynes could set his own market price and the kid did...

I’m just not sure we had the ambition to pay 600k for him and move CNK into the centre’s...it was either fullback or nothing from our management team and they chose nothing, which says they are happy with our fullback.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 9:21 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: June 1, 2021, 9:15 pm Anyway I won't get into the CNK debate again, just the one post only (I swear)
We all keep saying this
It's a lie

We've got 9 months of off season between now and 2022 kick off.
😅 I'll do well to see out the bye week tbh