Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders miss out on Nicho Hynes

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:Tbf though I reckon about 95% of those 'move player X to Y position' ideas originate from Seiffert82.
Anyone remember when Tim Sheens was promoting a move Laurie Daley to lock theory.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:21 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:09 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:01 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:54 am
BadnMean wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:48 am

Not so sure. The way the game is, Wighton backing up and sniffing chances through the middle always around the ball is a really attractive option. He'd lead line speed there too.
Makes sense in theory. Problem is Wighton does not do that instinctively. Even when he was fullback he would rarely hunt around the middle. More so he would sweep around he back and look for the wide play, primarily on the left. Since his shift to the halves he's played almost exclusively on the left. Whenever he combines with Sezer or Williams it would be them moving to his side. I also can recall him looking to make any plays up the middle. He was always on the left side and either passing left or cutting back in and running himself.
In both those roles, he has had to play on the left in attack due to our supporting cast (maybe less as a fullback)..
As a middle, he will have the opportunity to receive the ball whatever side of the ruck he is standing on...
He'd be a menace to defend given he could run first, play the ball quickly or pass and support...
Once again we are applying a theory to somebody who has shown almost zero instinct his entire career for doing exactly that. He clearly more comfortable playing wide and has rarely been seen in the middle.
If that were the case, he'd be playing centre...where the NSW selectors and many football pundits clearly think he best fits.

Yes we are applying theory too...one that hasn't been tested, so it's hard to say it wouldn't be successful given his physicality and skillset.
My point is about player instinct. Throughout Jack's entire career he has shown very little to play up the middle of the field. His natural instinct has been to play wide. Be it at fullback or 5/8 (centre is meant to play wide). That is why I see him more as an edge back rower than a lock if he every transitioned to forwards.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 11:01 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:21 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:09 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:01 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:54 am
Makes sense in theory. Problem is Wighton does not do that instinctively. Even when he was fullback he would rarely hunt around the middle. More so he would sweep around he back and look for the wide play, primarily on the left. Since his shift to the halves he's played almost exclusively on the left. Whenever he combines with Sezer or Williams it would be them moving to his side. I also can recall him looking to make any plays up the middle. He was always on the left side and either passing left or cutting back in and running himself.
In both those roles, he has had to play on the left in attack due to our supporting cast (maybe less as a fullback)..
As a middle, he will have the opportunity to receive the ball whatever side of the ruck he is standing on...
He'd be a menace to defend given he could run first, play the ball quickly or pass and support...
Once again we are applying a theory to somebody who has shown almost zero instinct his entire career for doing exactly that. He clearly more comfortable playing wide and has rarely been seen in the middle.
If that were the case, he'd be playing centre...where the NSW selectors and many football pundits clearly think he best fits.

Yes we are applying theory too...one that hasn't been tested, so it's hard to say it wouldn't be successful given his physicality and skillset.
My point is about player instinct. Throughout Jack's entire career he has shown very little to play up the middle of the field. His natural instinct has been to play wide. Be it at fullback or 5/8 (centre is meant to play wide). That is why I see him more as an edge back rower than a lock if he every transitioned to forwards.
I was a huge fan of Luke Lewis and I think Wighton is in the same mould. He'd be a great edge forward, but until now we've been well catered in that position. Maybe that's the move for him when Whitehead retires.

Until then I do think he can play that creative role in the middle. He loves the contact and he has a great motor.

Either way, it's obviously not happening unless we get 2 new halves on board, which seems highly unlikely.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think Jackie's long kicking and even grubbering is underrated... who's going to pick up that slack if he moves to the middle

Just play him at 6 and work around him. That does get harder to do though with CNK at the back, who also needs working around. Hence my well established view on that front

I think Hodgson or Whitehead at 13 could potentially solve it. Unfortunately Ricky seems to still like having a prop there
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Re: Canberra Raiders eye Nicho Hynes

Post by manbearpig »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 31, 2021, 5:56 pm
manbearpig wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 31, 2021, 9:49 am Totally agree Nickman. We don't appear to have a set play, or we don't have one that actually puts any doubt in the defensive line. In the opposition 20 we run 3 or 4 set up plays ... actually we seem to run 5 setup plays because we have nothing. We've been this way for a few seasons and getting by on individual brilliance.

One of the issues is our sweeping play has no variations like other sides. You need to have those plays but also the structure and ability to change it depending on how the defence reacts.
Lol... We haven't had set plays for 20 years..Maybe the 94 team had set plays, but it's been **** all since then.
Come on now, we had Bombaghan!
Exactly 😂
Im just, bicking back being bool