Canberra Stadium on standby for State of Origin series opener

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Stadium on standby for State of Origin series opener

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 1, 2021, 5:23 am Last state to host two home games was Queensland. I'm not sure how that makes it Queensland's turn, but OK GE.
Hmmm... well that's very unlike GE to complete twist facts to suit his QLD agenda! :lol:
Sounds like the NRL is doing favours for the QLD origin team, as per usual!

Dont you all agree?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 1, 2021, 5:23 am Last state to host two home games was Queensland. I'm not sure how that makes it Queensland's turn, but OK GE.
Exactly. And not only are they hosting 2 games, they’ve got game 1 and 2. Quite ridiculous.

NSW real underdogs here...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In 1980 and 1981 only one game of the series was played under Origin rules, in Brisbane.

From 1983 to 1987, Queensland had two games, NSW one. NSW did not want two Origin games, as they could not draw a crowd for inter-State football in Sydney. But that view changed over time when they started getting crowds of about 40,000 at the SCG. So it was agreed that NSW would stage two Origin games in 1988, with the idea being there would be alternating home and away series.

1988 NSW twice
1989 Queensland twice
1990 Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
1991 Queensland twice
1992 NSW twice
1993 Queensland twice
1994 Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
1995 Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
1996 Queensland twice
1997 Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
1997 Tri Series Queensland - Sydney, Auckland, Brisbane
1997 Tri Series NSW - Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane
1998 NSW twice
1999 Queensland twice
2000 NSW twice
2001 Queensland twice
2002 NSW twice
2003 Queensland twice
2004 NSW twice
2005 Queensland twice
2006 Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne
2007 Queensland twice
2008 NSW twice
2009 Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
2010 NSW twice
2011 Queensland twice
2012 Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
2013 NSW twice
2014 Queensland twice
2015 Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
2016 NSW twice
2017 Queensland twice
2018 Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
2019 Brisbane, Perth, Sydney
2020 Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane

Since 1988 NSW has hosted twice 10 times, Queensland 12. In the era of the NRL, both teams have eight series where they’ve hosted twice.

It’s difficult to interpret that, as in 1990 NSW decided it would take a home game away to Melbourne, while Queensland refused to follow. NSW gave up home games more than once. The ARL (controlled by the NSWRL) eventually forced Queensland to do it too. Things were also complicated by the ARL - Super League split.

If you look at the era of the NRL, 2013 was Queensland’s turn... and NSW took it... and that’s what I had in my mind. If you are alternating from 1998, 2021 is actually Queensland’s home series. There is the added complication that from 2018, the idea was to have one neutral venue each year.

You’re all free to interpret all that as you will!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I cannot FATHOM how red hot GE would be if this level of disparity and injustice was applied to the Raiders.
The competition has a responsibility to be fair and equitable in it's scheduling. This is a disgrace, and it's cast a very significant pall over the SOO series to come.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seriously, who gives a ****. Just turn up and play the **** game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:I cannot FATHOM how red hot GE would be if this level of disparity and injustice was applied to the Raiders.
The competition has a responsibility to be fair and equitable in it's scheduling. This is a disgrace, and it's cast a very significant pall over the SOO series to come.
Imagine if they took it to Wagga

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 10:34 am I cannot FATHOM how red hot GE would be if this level of disparity and injustice was applied to the Raiders.
The BEST thing about this whole debate is that GE has flipped from arguing with me that Canberra deserves the Origin over Townsville to arguing with Zaius that Queensland deserves the game before NSW without missing a single beat! It's the two sides of his persona in direct conflict with themselves.

*chef's kiss* it's truly a thing of beauty from the great man himself.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: June 1, 2021, 2:21 pm
Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 10:34 am I cannot FATHOM how red hot GE would be if this level of disparity and injustice was applied to the Raiders.
The BEST thing about this whole debate is that GE has flipped from arguing with me that Canberra deserves the Origin over Townsville to arguing with Zaius that Queensland deserves the game before NSW without missing a single beat! It's the two sides of his persona in direct conflict with themselves.

There is no inconsistency.

In one context, we are being asked if it is the “turn” of NSW or Queensland to host two games. I’ve explained that, to best of my ability, given all the facts. I would conclude it is Queensland’s “turn”.

In another context, where one game is now supposed to be played at a neutral venue... would Canberra be a good choice, and would it be good for rugby league. I would say yes.

In another context, where regional venues are being considered, regardless of whether they are neutral venues, the argument is put that the choice of Townsville over Canberra is much better outcome for Origin and the game of rugby league. I would say I reject that wholeheartedly.

All of my views are completely logical and consistent.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 1, 2021, 10:38 am Seriously, who gives a ****. Just turn up and play the **** game.
Id be willing to wager a lot of people give a ****

I mean its basically cheating if we're being honest, wouldn't you say @Dr Zaius
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 2:52 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 1, 2021, 10:38 am Seriously, who gives a ****. Just turn up and play the **** game.

Throwing plenty of bait in the water. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the way, watching 100% Footy on replay... Andrew Webster says that the Queensland Government paid the NRL $8 million for Origin I, the NSW Government offer was $3 million. They didn't get to the stage of asking the ACT Government, but the indications were that they would not pay to have the game staged in Canberra.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The NRL literally selling parity and fairness to the highest bidder
This is a disgrace... wouldn't you agree,GE?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 3:40 pm The NRL literally selling parity and fairness to the highest bidder
If you are discussing this in the context of fairness and which State's turn it is to host Origin twice this year, I'd say the dollars have produced the right outcome.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 4:28 pm
Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 3:40 pm The NRL literally selling parity and fairness to the highest bidder
If you are discussing this in the context of fairness and which State's turn it is to host Origin twice this year, I'd say the dollars have produced the right outcome.
By your own stats, since 1988, qld have held the home series 12 times vs 10
And now the nrl add to that disparity and clear unfairness by selling to the highest bidder

Sounds like the nrl is giving biased and unfair advantages to one team and disadvantaging the others
Appalling really but I’m not surprised to see you support it
Not surprised at all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 5:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 4:28 pm
By your own stats, since 1988, qld have held the home series 12 times vs 10
And now the nrl add to that disparity and clear unfairness by selling to the highest bidder

Sounds like the nrl is giving biased and unfair advantages to one team and disadvantaging the others
Appalling really but I’m not surprised to see you support it
Not surprised at all.
I’ve explained my view.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The two things that cost Canberra the Origin opener

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo announced Origin I would be moved from the MCG to Townsville on Monday. Out of the four reasons he gave for Townsville getting the nod, only two counted Canberra out of the running.

The first was Townsville's $293 million stadium largely paid for as part of a federal government election promise to Australia's most marginal seat. The second was a Queensland government cheque book.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:

Oh undoubtedly. This is clear evidence of the leg up that the NRL has been giving Queensland for years!

And the mental gymnastics exhibited by GE to some how conclude it was Queensland's turn, despite them being the last double host. Well it was stunning! He should be on a plane to Tokyo, because it was Olympic worthy!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: June 1, 2021, 6:09 pm
Botman wrote:

Oh undoubtedly. This is clear evidence of the leg up that the NRL has been giving Queensland for years!

And the mental gymnastics exhibited by GE to some how conclude it was Queensland's turn, despite them being the last double host. Well it was stunning! He should be on a plane to Tokyo, because it was Olympic worthy!
I especially like the cunning plan of starting a COVID outbreak in Melbourne to get the game shifted. Fairly obvious Peter Beatty is still running the NRL and V'Landys is just a puppet.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 5:56 pm I’ve explained my view.
You have certainly explained you're view of being happy to accept the NRL's scheduling decisions despite the fact they're being clearly biased and they are clearly providing an unfair advantage to a team. This is an exciting development
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:00 pm
You have certainly explained you're view of being happy to accept the NRL's scheduling decisions despite the fact they're being clearly biased and they are clearly providing an unfair advantage to a team. This is an exciting development
I don't accept your comment.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:01 pm
You dont have too, we can all see the emporor has no clothes on this matter.
Troublesome. Startling.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 7:01 pm
You dont have too, we can all see the emporor has no clothes on this matter.
Troublesome. Startling.
Not in the slightest bit concerned about your view.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No clearly not, that's why you've tried three times to justify the outrageous levels of hypocrisy, and failed all 3 times!
Apppalling. Disgraceful.

But we won't forget. No friend, Pepperidge farm remembers
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote:

I especially like the cunning plan of starting a COVID outbreak in Melbourne to get the game shifted. Fairly obvious Peter Beatty is still running the NRL and V'Landys is just a puppet.
Putting lives at risk and destroying the Victorian economy in the process. Disgraceful!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: June 1, 2021, 8:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote:

Putting lives at risk and destroying the Victorian economy in the process. Disgraceful!
Don't get me started on the vaccine.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2021, 2:36 pm

In one context, we are being asked if it is the “turn” of NSW or Queensland to host two games. I’ve explained that, to best of my ability, given all the facts. I would conclude it is Queensland’s “turn”.

In another context, where one game is now supposed to be played at a neutral venue... would Canberra be a good choice, and would it be good for rugby league. I would say yes.

In another context, where regional venues are being considered, regardless of whether they are neutral venues, the argument is put that the choice of Townsville over Canberra is much better outcome for Origin and the game of rugby league. I would say I reject that wholeheartedly.

Hahaha you're the absolute best, Fergus... the BEST!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Awarding State of Origin to Townsville highlights need for new Canberra Stadium in Civic

The lack of federal funding has meant the plans for a new Canberra Stadium in Civic keep gettting put onto the back burner - a big reason the NRL preferred Townsville over Canberra when relocating Origin I.

But The Canberra Times reports that there are rumours the federal government may be willing to stump up $280 million if the ACT were willing to match the cash... and that the federal government will look to do their own feasibility study, which would be announced on Parliament Hill in October.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: June 2, 2021, 11:13 am

Nothing says origin like GE going totally mad.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: June 2, 2021, 11:13 am

Nothing says origin like people noticing that GE is totally mad.
Fixed Image Image Image