Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson take early pleas

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson take early pleas

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson face bans

The Canberra Raiders have suffered a huge blow, after judiciary charges were laid against three of their star players. Josh Papalii has been issued with a grade three high tackle charge, after being sent off in yesterday's clash with the Bulldogs. He could be suspended for three matches if he takes an early guilty plea - but miss five matches if he challenges the charge and loses at the judiciary.

Jack Wighton has been issued with a grade two dangerous contact charge, after an alleged "cannonball" tackle on Adam Elliot. Josh Hodgson has also been charged with grade two dangerous contact for an alleged "chicken wing" incident. Both Wighton and Hodgson will miss one week with an early guilty plea and two if they challenge and fail at the judiciary.

Bulldogs players Sione Katoa and Ava Seumanufagai were both fined for dangerous contact charges.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/15/rou ... y-charges/

Fourteen charges as Raiders cop $2.5m blow, Origin hopes left in jeopardy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 601d069c5c

Canberra Raiders star Josh Papali'i facing massive suspension: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson face bans

Post by Botman »

It hurts but those charges are all very fair imo
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 12:35 pm It hurts but those charges are all very fair imo
Not Jacks. He hits above the knee. What’s the issue with that a good slip down leg tackle? On knee or below it yes but clearly he was above knee.

Plus papa already missed part of a match cause of send off so that should count.

With Hodgson he was going for a strip and went on with it.

I hope they explore downgrades
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Old School Green wrote: May 16, 2021, 1:14 pm
Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 12:35 pm It hurts but those charges are all very fair imo
Not Jacks. He hits above the knee. What’s the issue with that a good slip down leg tackle? On knee or below it yes but clearly he was above knee.

Plus papa already missed part of a match cause of send off so that should count.

With Hodgson he was going for a strip and went on with it.

I hope they explore downgrades
I would agree with you Old School Green.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Jack’s was completely unnecessary, and diving in at the knees like that puts players at extreme risk of major injury.
Not like he hit him on the hip or upper thigh. His shoulder hits right in the area of the knee

What Hodgson was attempting doesn’t change what his action ended up being. Which was a very dangerous chicken wing like tackle. The onus is on him not to do that regardless of what he’s attempting

What these players intended to do is not relevant. They must be held accountable for what they actually did, not what they tried to do. It’s the same with dangerous lifting tackles
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Surely Luke Thompson has to be charged too, the footage is pretty damming for him. Doesn't excuse Hodgson though.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson face bans

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:It hurts but those charges are all very fair imo
I agree unfortunately.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:Jack’s was completely unnecessary, and diving in at the knees like that puts players at extreme risk of major injury.
Not like he hit him on the hip or upper thigh. His shoulder hits right in the area of the knee

What Hodgson was attempting doesn’t change what his action ended up being. Which was a very dangerous chicken wing like tackle. The onus is on him not to do that regardless of what he’s attempting

What these players intended to do is not relevant. They must be held accountable for what they actually did, not what they tried to do. It’s the same with dangerous lifting tackles
Again agree. It was an “accident” or “it’s a contact sport and these things happen” is not a defence. They need to fix their technique
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

LastRaider wrote: May 16, 2021, 1:51 pm
Botman wrote:Jack’s was completely unnecessary, and diving in at the knees like that puts players at extreme risk of major injury.

Again agree. It was an “accident” or “it’s a contact sport and these things happen” is not a defence. They need to fix their technique
Jacks technique is wrapping up legs? I’d say that’s completely necessary and Stuart would be mad if he didn’t.

I’m not saying each isn’t some type of charge (except Jack, regardless of ‘the look’ I can’t see it being illegal because of ‘the vibe’ etc) but I do disagree with the grading and as there is a facility to seek downgrading of charges, I hope that we indeed do.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That cracked down on tackles like jack’s a few years ago
Think they called it a prowler or something
Whatever it’s called, that tackle is considered dangerous and illegal in our game
And rightly so
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think the charges are fair under the current rules. What was concerning was Sticky's 'nothing to see here' response. I get that he is passionate about his players and the future of the Raiders season. However, illegal play, cannot be allowed to sail through. If a head coach has difficulty in adjusting to the way the modern game is played, then what advice are the players receiving?
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Must be the only one who thinks papalli's tackle hit the oppositions shoulder and bounced up, I also think he made a concerted effort to wrap his shoulder.
Even the coach conceded.
I still think I'm right though
Im just, bicking back being bool
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

And the inconsistency is now on show. The Josh McGuire hip drop that just removed Addo Carr from the game was only put on report with no sin binning. It looked worse than Jack’s yesterday in that he wrapped his body around the player and deliberately dropped to bend Addo Carr backwards. Jack needs to plead not guilty and use that one as his evidence that he has already been over punished.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I didn’t think it looked nearly as bad myself
The tackle wasn’t finished as it was for Jack, and McGuire actually started at the hip and slid down, rather than right at the knee
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 2:10 pm That cracked down on tackles like jack’s a few years ago
Think they called it a prowler or something
Whatever it’s called, that tackle is considered dangerous and illegal in our game
And rightly so
A "prowler" is a hit to the exposed back of an attacking player being held by two other defenders.

Jack's tackle wasn't a prowler... and it wasn't a cannonball tackle which is a third tackler taking a held player below the knee. However this is the relevant interpretation:

"Third Man In

When a player in possession is held in an upright position by two defenders, any other defender[s] must make initial contact to the player in possession above the knees/knee joint.

Regardless of the point of impact, a player can still be penalised for any ‘forceful, dangerous or unnecessary contact’ at the legs that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession.

In relation to this type of tackle, the Referees will call ‘held’ and then ‘release’."

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operatio ... s_2020.pdf

I personally think it is a tough call on Jack to receive both a sin binning and a suspension, given the nature of the tackle. The referees are supposed to call "held" as a signal that the third tackler can't come in... but they didn't ever call held.

I'm unsure why no action was taken against Thompson prior to the Hodgson reported incident. He clearly raked across the face of Hodgson. It wasn't an eye gouge, but it was definitely a raking action. Isn't there supposed to be no contact with the head these days?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ah that’s right
Cannonball... these things all have such funny names :lol:

I think it’s fair that he was both sin binned and facing a week off. But I think reasonable minds can disagree on that one. I’ve got no real issue if someone feels the sin bin was sufficient
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The issue I have is that a sin bin is a very serious penalty in itself. A team left short a player for 10 minutes can quite easily concede a few tries... in a world of set restarts etc etc it is much, much easier.

So far we have seen 15 sin bins and two players sent off in this round, and there three halves of football left. So far, sin bins have affected every contest but one - detrimentally in my view.

What the NRL has done this weekend has very significantly impacted the fabric of the game. Doing it mid season, 10 rounds in, affects the integrity of the competition, as we are not playing the game under the same interpretations right through the season. It is maladministration in my view, and very serious maladministration.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jack's is indefensible, the player had zero momentum and he's come in at the legs

If someone did that to one of our players and they ended up with a serious knee/leg injury there'd be a riot

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

I really would love Jack to fight his. I think the guilty plea is just setting the wrong precedent. I can completely understand why he wouldn’t given we play the Roosters in 2 weeks with CNK back. Take our medicine next week then see if we can upset the Roosters the week after.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

LastRaider wrote: May 16, 2021, 1:51 pm

Like Tedesco needs to fix his running technique - because he gets hit in the head regularly by defenders with perfect technique.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

We’re taking a loss next weekend so may as well cop the punishment for Jack and Hodgson...
Papalli is unlucky....a week ago he would have escaped with nothing...
Now it’s a send off and 3 weeks
The NRL really are a joke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

How the poor judiciary panel members. They had a nice cushy gig hearing one or two cases every other week but this week it seems like they need to clear the diary and meet 30% of the NRL. I’d be asking for over time!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 16, 2021, 7:05 pm How the poor judiciary panel members. They had a nice cushy gig hearing one or two cases every other week but this week it seems like they need to clear the diary and meet 30% of the NRL. I’d be asking for over time!
:roflmao
Fair shout Billy
These mugs are finally going to have to earn their money!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL playing a dangerous game, let the boys play says Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling says the NRL's playing a dangerous game that could see the best players watching on from the stands due to the crackdown on high contact.

"It's a contact sport," he said. "That's what makes it the spectacle it is. Obviously we've got to keep players' safety at the forefront and we want our best players on the field. It's a fine line between taking it a bit too far ... let the boys play."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders star Josh Papalii facing massive suspension: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I thought 3 weeks for Papa and 1 for Jack and Hodgson are about right in the current circumstances. Jack was borderline and I thought the sin bin may have been sufficient punishment, but no need to take the risk to challenge.

But compared to the past, Kaufusi only got 2 weeks for a deliberate elbow on Ryan Matterson that knocked him out, Proctor 4 weeks for biting, Latrell 4 weeks for late and high hit, - those are more grubby. Compared to those, we are hard done by.

Nothing for Kikau on CNK that knocked him out.

MRC is very inconsistent.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Mitchell's was probably the worst, because he actually got three charges out of one game, and somehow only got fines for the other two.

I think we just have to cop it sweet. It's not like we were going to beat the Storm anyway in this form, so we get Jack and Hodgo back for the Roosters game which is winnable, and Papa spends one of his weeks missing Origin and not missing three for us.

However, I'll be quite cheesed if Thompson doesn't get anything for the flagrant eye gouge attempt on Hodgo, and it sort of makes me wonder if it could be considered mitigating circumstances if he did - that Hodgo is trying to get away from the gouge.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

-TW- wrote:Jack's is indefensible, the player had zero momentum and he's come in at the legs

If someone did that to one of our players and they ended up with a serious knee/leg injury there'd be a riot

Zero momentum? So could not offload? Ok……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ron78 wrote: May 16, 2021, 8:14 pm
-TW- wrote:Jack's is indefensible, the player had zero momentum and he's come in at the legs

There was absolutely no chance of an offload. Two of our guys had him wrapped up fairly comprehensively.
He wasn’t trying, he had succumbed to the tackle

Contact was totally unnecessary, completely avoidable, and highly dangerous
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Refs could do the game a favour and call “held” in those circumstances...but instead, they allow that crap to happen.

It was unfolding in slow motion..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I thought 3 weeks for Papa and 1 for Jack and Hodgson are about right in the current circumstances. Jack was borderline and I thought the sin bin may have been sufficient punishment, but no need to take the risk to challenge.

But compared to the past, Kaufusi only got 2 weeks for a deliberate elbow on Ryan Matterson that knocked him out, Proctor 4 weeks for biting, Latrell 4 weeks for late and high hit, - those are more grubby. Compared to those, we are hard done by.

Nothing for Kikau on CNK that knocked him out.

MRC is very inconsistent.
I don’t think it’s too useful at this point to do comparisons to earlier in the season. The whole system had become too lax on illegal play from in-game, to match review, to the judiciary.

The pendulum has overshot a little in trying to correct, but it’s now closer to where it should be than where it was when CNK was able to be rubbed out illegally with zero repercussions. We’ll never know how much it derailed the Raiders season, but I’d wager we’re at least 6-4 instead of 4-6 and isn’t that a very different complexion on the season/team confidence?...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Had that incident taken place this week, Kikau is sent off, we’d have activated Timoko as our 18th man and we probably win that game

Isn’t that good?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider47 wrote: May 16, 2021, 1:38 pm Surely Luke Thompson has to be charged too, the footage is pretty damming for him. Doesn't excuse Hodgson though.
Absolutely.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Botman wrote:

There was absolutely no chance of an offload. Two of our guys had him wrapped up fairly comprehensively.

You cannot be sure - until ref calls held. Secondly, every player is taught to do that and bring the player to the ground. Slows it down. Did anyone expect a tackle like that to be sin binned this weekend?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ron78 wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:01 pm
Botman wrote:

You cannot be sure - until ref calls held. Secondly, every player is taught to do that and bring the player to the ground. Slows it down. Did anyone expect a tackle like that to be sin binned this weekend?

I can. I have eyes and i watched the event. There was no chance of an offload
I dont think anyone really knew what to expect coming into this weekend given the edict issued. We did see a few games before us and whatever you think of what was happening, the writing was very clearly on the wall.

Again, the contact was totally unnecessary, completely avoidable, and highly dangerous. Three strikes, you're out.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Had that incident taken place this week, Kikau is sent off, we’d have activated Timoko as our 18th man and we probably win that game

Isn’t that good?
Umm... yes?