This is not rugby league

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

This is not rugby league

Post by greeneyed »

This is not rugby league: Trent Barrett and Ricky Stuart unload on NRL for giving ‘leg up’ to rival codes in not so Magic Round

Ricky Stuart says he fears the fallout from the crackdown on foul play will result in the NRL giving a “leg up” to rival codes as Trent Barrett feared rugby league would become “Oztag”.

“It’s sad we’re talking about it. With the talking about it, we’re giving other sports a leg up – that’s not we are here for. We’ve got a wonderful weekend of rugby league and we want to promote our game,” Ricky Stuart said.

“But unfortunately we we’re talking about the wrong things. But it has to be spoken about… With Josh’s incident and Jack getting 10 minutes for that, the game’s changed.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2e3b6b2c50

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Bulldogs: Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-10/

Trent Barrett: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-10/

‘They’ll get the message’: V’landys hits back at huge uproar after ref crackdown: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6f4c431096
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: This is not rugby league

Post by Ilanraiders »

Penalty round or magic round??
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Give us back our Thugby League!
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:20 pm Give us back our Thugby League!
Ok Fitzy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The game is a shambles as a result of poorly thought through rule changes and interpretations. It is poor administration, and the result of no consultation and consideration of the possible ramifications. What an embarrassment "Magic Round" has been. V'landys... give us back our game.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I wholeheartedly disagree. We have struggled ever since kikau took out our fullback and he didn't get punished for it. the sooner the nrl stamps out foul play the better and there is no more effective way to do it.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

I don't mind the sin bins and send offs for head contact. The definition of "forceful" needs some work though. Papalli's shoulder to the face should always be (and always have been) a send off. I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Probably wasn't a great idea to do it in Magic Round, not to up the use of the sin bin for ruck infringements at the same time.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Next round they should wear tutus.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:38 pm Next round they should wear tutus.
Netball skirts if stick has his way!
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

The interpretations of the rule will only turn more fans away.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

I am just sick of the rule changes and interpretation changes mid season. There is a rule review at the end of each season and they should run with the changes all year.

Trent Barrett highlighted they found out about this weeks edict on their way to their Captain’s run. Show me another professional sport that changes their rules or interpretation of rules the day before games? Let alone the day before their biggest showcase weekend of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:35 pm I wholeheartedly disagree. We have struggled ever since kikau took out our fullback and he didn't get punished for it. the sooner the nrl stamps out foul play the better and there is no more effective way to do it.
But that incident was not only missed by the match officials, the match review committee concluded that there was nothing to see here. No one in the media has raised an issue with it. It wasn't on the mind of the NRL in the latest changes to the rule interpretations. I would bet the house* that what they're now doing would have made any difference to CNK's injury.

* I recognise that because it is a hypothetical... I can "bet the house"! Plus I don't own a "house".
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Blogger wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:49 pm I am just sick of the rule changes and interpretation changes mid season. There is a rule review at the end of each season and they should run with the changes all year.

Trent Barrett highlighted they found out about this weeks edict on their way to their Captain’s run. Show me another professional sport that changes their rules or interpretation of rules the day before games? Let alone the day before their biggest showcase weekend of the year.
Agree totally. I was surprised to hear what Barrett said, actually, given his team benefited from the Papalii and Wighton decisions. His press conference is worth a listen.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Did anyone see the Townsend 'crusher' in the Sharks v Rabbits game? Wow. Massive game changing moment too.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Just something else for Rick to bleat about rather than face hard questions about his tenure and the direction of the team. No one in the media has the guts to throw him anything but a softball on that front.

However, it is comical the NRL makes such radical changes in the middle of a competiton (no matter how well intentioned). They keep offering up evidence as to why they are the least professional professional sporting organisation in Australia (and possibly the world). There must be no checks and balances in that place, just loudest ego wins
LastRaider
John Ferguson

This is not rugby league

Post by LastRaider »

I’ve actually got to say I’m a supporter of most of the rule changes last year and this year. I especially agree with the harsher penalties for any head knocks caused accidentally or purposely.

The game needs to be safer for the long term future. The game isn’t attracting juniors any more especially in participation. I have seen this first hand in my home town. When I was playing we had under 7’s through to 16’s. Now the club fields a little under half of the teams we use too and the population has doubled! Plain and simple, parents are very aware of damage concussions can do long term to children and they are stopping their kids from participating. This is a very important issue and I applaud V’landys for taking a stand.

As for 6 again, this has been great for the game. The game just doesn’t favour size anymore like it use too, it favours all types of body sizes. It’s quicken the game up from those grinding defensive games we saw for the best part of 2010 > 2019.

Change is good!
Last edited by LastRaider on May 15, 2021, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:40 pm
You diabolical.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

the game is laughable at the moment!!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:18 pm I’ve actually got to say I’m a supporter of most of the rule changes last year and this year. I especially agree with the harsher penalties for any head knocks caused accidentally or purposely.

The game needs to be safer for the long term future. The game isn’t attracting juniors any more especially in participation. I have seen this first hand in my home town. When I was playing we had under 7’s through to 16’s. Now the club fields a little under half of the teams we use too and the population has doubled! Plain and simple, parents are very aware of damage concussions can do long term to children and they are stopping their kids from participating. This is a very important issue and I applaud V’landys for taking a stand.

As for 6 again, this has been great for the game. The game just doesn’t favour size, it favours all types of body sizes. It’s quicken the game up from those grinding defensive games we saw for the best part of 2010 > 2019.

Change is good!
I couldn't disagree more on the 6 Again Rule. It has no consistency in the same game let alone from game to game. My pet peeve with it is teams giving away a 6 Again on tackle 1 so they can set their defensive lines knowing the opposition won't get to kick for touch.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wayne Bennet hit the nail on the head in his press conference.

Rabbitohs: Round 10 https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-10/

Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

greeneyed wrote:
Green Blogger wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:49 pm I am just sick of the rule changes and interpretation changes mid season. There is a rule review at the end of each season and they should run with the changes all year.

Agree totally. I was surprised to hear what Barrett said, actually, given his team benefited from the Papalii and Wighton decisions. His press conference is worth a listen.
Wayne Bennett’s interview is the most I’ve ever heard him talk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:40 pm
Only took 8 posts for the sexist remarks to start, that was worse than I thought.

It's obvious this is a knee-jerk reaction and that had the bunker not been mind-blowingly incompetent last week and properly sent off Dylan Brown and binned the other Eels player for the shoulder charge on Tedesco, we wouldn't be seeing this correction. (I still can't get over that Cecchin even asked them to look at the knees and they still missed it.)

However, I'm all for the refs being harsher for contact with the head. Concussion can't be taken lightly. In 20 years when half these guys can barely talk - like Johns and Fittler! - and sound drunk all the time, will we be laughing then? When the first league player loses his mind completely and murders his family, or takes his own life, and it's discovered he had CTE, will that be soon enough to crack down?

My big concern is that the NRL will lose its spine after this weekend and in a week or two it'll be back to situation normal with just penalties and the odd report and hardly any binnings or sendings.

But it was the right choice to send Papa today. It sucked the big one, but it was inescapable. He was always going to be binned at the minimum even before this weekend.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Look, I didn’t read all that post
But I was mocking Stick’s sexist remarks, so thanks Dubs

You’re jumping at shadows.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:27 pm
LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:18 pm I’ve actually got to say I’m a supporter of most of the rule changes last year and this year. I especially agree with the harsher penalties for any head knocks caused accidentally or purposely.

As for 6 again, this has been great for the game. The game just doesn’t favour size, it favours all types of body sizes. It’s quicken the game up from those grinding defensive games we saw for the best part of 2010 > 2019.

Change is good!
I couldn't disagree more on the 6 Again Rule. It has no consistency in the same game let alone from game to game. My pet peeve with it is teams giving away a 6 Again on tackle 1 so they can set their defensive lines knowing the opposition won't get to kick for touch.
There isn't even any consistency within games. That's even more frustrating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That sin bin against Cowboys was biggest joke of the lot. Tedesco fell right into him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Honestly this thread is outdated with reality.

The game won’t exist if it continued down the head bashing trajectory in 20 years.... you just won’t get kids playing it..

Great move and I hope they stick to it, any head contact should be a penalty.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:26 pm Great move and I hope they stick to it, any head contact should be a penalty.
A penalty is quite different to being sin binned or sent off, however. There are accidents in a contact sport.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:13 pm Look, I didn’t read all that post

No, I'm really not. And I know what you were referencing, but Azza's post was absolutely sexist.

But also, if you want to talk about toxic masculinity, this idea that our sport isn't tough or worth watching if men aren't having their brains scrambled like eggs is absolutely it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

raiderskater wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:38 pm

No, I'm really not. And I know what you were referencing, but Azza's post was absolutely sexist.

But also, if you want to talk about toxic masculinity, this idea that our sport isn't tough or worth watching if men aren't having their brains scrambled like eggs is absolutely it.
No. You really are.
I’m very squarely on a side of this fence on this. You’ve misread it dreadfully, Dubs
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Can anyone think of a sport that consistently changes rules midseason other than the NRL? It's bloody weird.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:18 pm
Wiki Special wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:27 pm

Change is good!
There isn't even any consistency within games. That's even more frustrating.
Yeah, that's what I said regarding same game, haha.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:45 pm
raiderskater wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:38 pm

No. You really are.
I’m very squarely on a side of this fence on this. You’ve misread it dreadfully, Dubs
I'm holding my ground on this.

This is the sort of casual sexism that happens every day that is more harmful than you realise.

Do you know how tough you have to be to be a professional ballet dancer? How strong? How many hours and years of work it takes? Azza is stating that ballet dancers are not strong and not tough. And why did he pick ballet? Because it's predominantly a woman's sport. Azza stopped short of saying that the players have to "play like girls now", but that's absolutely what he meant, and that's absolutely harmful as an attitude.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You can stand your ground
And that’s fine with me because I agree with you
We are on the same side here. My post was...

ahem

mocking

Stuart’s sexist and out dated views. Don’t dare put that on me because sarcasm has flown wildly above you

There was no causal sexism, the post very clearly was mocking the casual sexism of our coach.
Which I posted my disagreement about too.
So honestly, you’re jumping at shadows and an apology is owed
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

T_R wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:55 pm Can anyone think of a sport that consistently changes rules midseason other than the NRL? It's bloody weird.
Just wait until Cummins becomes the ref boss and starts changing them mid game.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Tragic Round from this day forth...