Total votes: 20

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2021 Rd 11 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 17, 2021, 11:16 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:21 pm The club announced Josh Hodgson's calf injury when the team announcement was made... as it happened that day.

I'm not sure that about 3pm is late on a Monday, but that is when the latest injury report was issued today by the club. We reported it at 3:30pm: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1799826
Fair enough. Thanks for the correction, GE.

I still get the impression there is more to this. As a long-time Croker fan, I'd love it to be a niggle they haven't diagnosed the severity of yet and see him come back to reclaim some form (and then lead us to a premiership).

However, my optimism is waning by the day and I'm now concerned that his career will end in a way that doesn't do justice to what he's achieved.
Jury is very much still out on what is going on.

However in regards to your last comment I reckon an abrupt end to a distinguished career, whilst sad, is infinitely more dignified than doing a Darius Boyd.

It really is hard to shake those last few years of Boyd's career out of your memory of him and you sometimes forget he was a bona fide rep superstar for a long time before those final seasons.

If Croker was medically retired some time in the short term future there would be very little reputational sting in the tail of the very back end of his career.
Of course the decision is entirely up to him, and i will respect what he chooses to do with his career. So that's part of this but i 100% agree
Absolutely no one wants to see Croker go out like Boyd, that's not fitting for the player he has been for us and the standing he has in this community

If this is just Croker getting old, broken down and this level of play is what he is capable of, as a fan, i dont want that for him.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I read somewhere that his knee is bone on bone?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2021 Rd 11 NRL teams: Raiders V Storm

Canberra Raiders V Melbourne Storm
Saturday 22 May, 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday night’s match against the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium.

With Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson and Jack Wighton all suspended this week, there have been several changes to the team to take on the Storm.

Sam Williams plays his first NRL match of the season and replaces the suspended Jack Wighton at five-eighth, while Dunamis Lui will start the match at prop for the suspended Josh Papalii.

Brad Schneider will become Raider #376, after he was named on the bench this week. Schneider replaces Josh Hodgson in the bench utility role.

Ryan Sutton has been named to make his return from the bench from an elbow injury, with Sia Soliola named on the extended bench after recovering from a knee injury.

Jordan Rapana (Hamstring) and Joe Tapine (Knee) are expected to miss a further 1-2 matches.

Canberra Raiders

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Semi Valemei
6. Sam Williams
7. George Williams
8. Dunamis Lui
9. Tom Starling
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Brad Schneider
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan James

18. Matthew Timoko
19. Sia Soliola
20. Siliva Havili
21. Harry Rushton

Injury/Suspension

Jack Wighton, Suspended (Rd 12)
Josh Hodgson, Suspended (Rd 12)
Albert Hopoate, Shoulder (Rd 12-13)
Jordan Rapana, Hamstring (Rd 12-14)
Joe Tapine, Knee, (Rd 12-14)
Josh Papalii, Suspended (Rd 14)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Rd 15-16)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps Tendon (Rd 20-22)
Jarrod Croker, Knee (Indefinite)

Melbourne Storm

1. Nicho Hynes
2. George Jennings
3. Reimis Smith
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Chris Lewis
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. Christian Welch
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Aaron Pene
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Tom Eisenhuth
17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona

18. Aaron Booth
19. Cooper Johns
20. Trent Loiero
21. Dean Ieremia

Injury/Suspension

Ryan Papenhuyzen Head knock (TBC)
Tyson Smoothy, Knee (TBC)
Harry Grant, Hamstring (Rd 12)
Cameron Munster, Foot (Rd 12)
Brenko Lee, Calf (Rd 12-13)
Darryn Schonig, Knee (Rd 15-17)
Max King, Achilles (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Kasey Badger, Liam Kennedy
Video referee: Matt Noyen

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersStorm

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Schneider?

Hmmm, intredasting. Might just be potato enough to work.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I like the team. Good to have Sutton back on the bench. Good to have a back in Schneider as opposed to Sia or Havili. I have not seen Schneider play, what can forum members tell us about him? Does he have pace ?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I like the team. Good to have Sutton back on the bench. Good to have a back in Schneider as opposed to Sia or Havili. I have not seen Schneider play, what can forum members tell us about him? Does he have pace ?
He's a half

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:07 pm I like the team. Good to have Sutton back on the bench. Good to have a back in Schneider as opposed to Sia or Havili. I have not seen Schneider play, what can forum members tell us about him? Does he have pace ?
If he is the young half who wears headgear he looks alright. Not sure how quick he is but looks like he can read the game well with good short kicking/passing etc
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, I feel a bit silly. I've been walking around all week saying 'Storm by 40', but after seeing that team I realise that I've got it completely wrong.

Storm by 60.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:11 pm Well, I feel a bit silly. I've been walking around all week saying 'Storm by 40', but after seeing that team I realise that I've got it completely wrong.

Storm by 60.
I think we’ll stick solid.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I honestly think we are that bad, the Storm will put 70+ on us.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Pre season youd mistake that for our NSW cup team barring one or two spots.

At least its the night game Saturday so ill have plenty of time to get properly tanked before the inevitable. Go the boys.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Storm by 103.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

They are missing Papen...., Grant, and Munster.
If our three brain surgeons did not go full retard and get suspended then I would have been more confident.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:26 pmStorm by 103.
Is it them or us that kicks the field goal?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I'm tipping an upset. I know we have been playing very bad and should have put away Newcastle, North Queensland and Canterbury by over 20 points. But I'm hoping Stuart will have them up due to what happened in the Prelim last year, and at GIO when Bailey got sin binned which was a rubbish decision and JAC scored, Whitehead bombed a try due to non-grounding, and Hodgson busted his knee. Scott also has a point to prove.

The Storm side is good, but Chris Lewis or Cooper Johns won't throw much at us. So they will rely on Hughes and Hynes out the back. We need to start well and still be in it at half time (or leading by 20!!!).
GWilliams needs to have a great game and we need to hold their forward pack. It's clear that the team is playing for one another from the way they celebrated the Kris try last weekend.

Scott and Semi must be on their game marking Olam and JAC.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:07 pm I like the team. Good to have Sutton back on the bench. Good to have a back in Schneider as opposed to Sia or Havili. I have not seen Schneider play, what can forum members tell us about him? Does he have pace ?
I have to say Schnieder is a bit of a surprising selection. He is generally a half although has been behind Frawley and S Williams. He had a big game against Newtown in Round 4 when he kicked 10 from 10, (Sam Williams was with the first grade squad for the game against the Titans) but then in Round 5 at Penrith he was left out (or he might have been 18th man - he warmed up but didn't play).

Since then he has often played a bit more of hooker role, against Souths a couple of weeks ago, they started Trevilyan at hooker and Schnieder came on in the second half and gave us a real lift, he is very much there to be quick out of dummy half, even though he is quite tall for a hooker / half. In that game both Frawley and S Williams played. He was back in the halves against Newcastle in Wagga with S Williams kept out as 19th man, probably as a precaution if G Williams couldn't get through the warm up again. I didn't see the game last week but he would have been in the halves again as Sammy was in Brisbane.

It is a massive step from bench reserve grader or not in the team to first grader within a few weeks.

As far as background goes, he is from Townsville, there were three come down together at the start of 2020, Schnieder, Adrian Trevilyan and Adam Cook who played in the final round last year. All came through the Blackhawks / Cowboys system. They didn't all go to the same school - one or two went to Kirwan and one or two to Iganatius Park, can't remember who was who. When the season started up again after the Covid shutdown, he was in the bubble so wasn't allowed to play Canberra Cup.

Blond haired kid but often wears a helmet (not the yellow helmet - that is Trevilyan), pretty quick, very good goal kicker although I don't think they will put that responsibility on him yet.

I wouldn't expect he will play more than 10-15 mins, come off the bench to give Starling a spell and I think his only instruction will be to get out of dummy half quickly and give us a bit of a roll on when hopefully their big forwards get a bit tired.

I would have considered him more of a longer term prospect, but welcome to the big time lad. I am sure it is a massive moment for him and his family.
Last edited by Bay53 on May 18, 2021, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Schneider - for mine, this is a sign Ricky may well be heading down the path of youth development for a halfback...It's good to see.
Otherwise, were taking a beating as many have pointed out..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 Rd 11 V Storm: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders by 15.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Thanks for the detail Bay53.

I wish Schnieder the best of luck in his first game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Just to confirm it was Schnieder and Trevilyan that played for Kirwan SHS, it was Cook who was at Ignatius Park.

Here is the article from the QRL website when Kirwan won the NRL Schoolboy Cup in 2019.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/09/11/ ... t-marsden/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Raiders by 13.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Thanks Bay53 and others for the information. Very detailed and much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing Schneider play.

He's a big bloke - this is Ricky's announcement. https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... m-meeting/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Azza wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:26 pmStorm by 103.
Is it them or us that kicks the field goal?
104-1

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:50 pm Just to confirm it was Schnieder and Trevilyan that played for Kirwan SHS, it was Cook who was at Ignatius Park.

Here is the article from the QRL website when Kirwan won the NRL Schoolboy Cup in 2019.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/09/11/ ... t-marsden/
Actually they are photos from the Queensland final when Kirwan beat Marsden.

They then went to Sydney and beat Westfield Sports High in the National Final. That is a massive thing, for a school from Queensland and from Townsville to go to Sydney and beat one of the schools that have been specifically set up as a Sports school. On top of that, nearly all the Queensland kids are a year younger because they only have 5 years of high school.

here are the photos from that game. It is Schnieder in the orange headgear, Trevilyan in the yellow headgear.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/09/18/ ... olboy-cup/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:56 pm Thanks Bay53 and others for the information. Very detailed and much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing Schneider play.

He's a big bloke - this is Ricky's announcement. https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... m-meeting/
That's really great. Glad they captured that moment with his Dad. Big congratulations to the kid - hope he goes well.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 18, 2021, 4:56 pm Thanks Bay53 and others for the information. Very detailed and much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing Schneider play.

That is so good to see...hope he gets a run and enjoys the moment.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Always enjoy watching those, hope he gets some decent minutes to have a good dig
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Brad Schnieder becomes the first player born in 2001 to play for the Raiders (born 14 March 2001) following on from Adam Cook (14 November 2000) being the first player born in the 2000s to play for the Raiders.

Xavier Savage (24 April 2002) I reckon is very close to a debut too.

2002 doesn't seem that long ago!!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've only seen one game of his and he looked reasonable. No Sam Walker though perhaps

I love Havili but him being on the outer might be best thing for his career. He should go to Bulldogs etc and be a starting hooker
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If savage handles another 2-3 weeks of nsw cup, I’d have him straight in the line up

Pumped for Schnieder and wish the kid all the best in his debut. I’m excited to see how he goes
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: May 18, 2021, 5:12 pm Brad Schnieder becomes the first player born in 2001 to play for the Raiders (born 14 March 2001) following on from Adam Cook (14 November 2000) being the first player born in the 2000s to play for the Raiders.

Xavier Savage (24 April 2002) I reckon is very close to a debut too.

2002 doesn't seem that long ago!!
Sorry I misread the website wrong. Where it normally has date of birth, it was his NSW Cup debut date which is 14 March 2021. He will be born 2001 but not sure of the date.

He is NOT in his spare time, a Congressman representing Illinois born in 1961 if anyone was checking Wikipedia and getting confused.

I think we can safely say this Brad Schnieder has not run for any public office in the USA, but you never know what a career post football may bring. There have been less likely politicians reach high office in the US in recent years.
Last edited by Bay53 on May 18, 2021, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

That Storm side isn't that great on Paper either...We got this
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Raiders666 wrote: May 18, 2021, 5:26 pm That Storm side isn't that great on Paper either...We got this
No Papa or Papi makes neither side as strong on Paper.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Stoked for Schneider although he may only get 10 mins on the field knowing Ricky
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Bay53 wrote: May 18, 2021, 5:27 pm
Raiders666 wrote: May 18, 2021, 5:26 pm That Storm side isn't that great on Paper either...We got this
No Papa or Papi makes neither side as strong on Paper.
Munster and Grant are big losses also