Netballers up in arms over comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Re: Netballers up in arms over alleged comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Post by Luffto »

And by awkward, I also mean not surprising.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Netballers up in arms over alleged comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Post by -PJ- »

We may unearth our next halfback.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: May 13, 2021, 11:02 pm I heard Kent say that on 360 and cringed as he said it but I thought he was giving a theme of the conversation he had with Ricky more than providing a direct quote of what Ricky said. Kent is not doing Ricky any favours at present.
Sticky is going to stop talking to him soon.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Luffto wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:16 am Would be really awkward if we're playing Rugby League rules in the second half... And we lose.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im laughing because its true.......
Perth Based Raiders Fan
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Luffto wrote:Would be really awkward if we're playing Rugby League rules in the second half... And we lose.
They'd drop the ball off the kick off and squander their 40 goal lead

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

You've all stumbled on something.

Instead of going for tries in the Red zone, every time we are within range, have George take a shot at field goal. Our points would go up in 1s and 2s but I reckon that even accounting for misses, we'd end up in front of where we are now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart apologises over netball comment

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has issued a mea culpa after he told a journalist that if he could not have hard conversations with his players, he may as well be coaching netball.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-14/ ... /100139934

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Any chance this can be a sackable offence??
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

"I’ve had a laugh about it, I had some journalists ring me last night, we had some laughs about it."

Ummmm, Rick........
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:I used to date a girl who played netball for NSW, back in the day. Quite frankly, the brutality of that game both on and off the field has to be experienced to truly understand it.
I played high school basketball with a former Aus/Swifts player. She didn’t care much about the game, just used it for netball practice.

She used to get kicked for trying to shoot like a Netballer, but judging where she ended up, the laugh was on us
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Reckon Rick missed a chance to double down and spin it differently.

“Yes I said it, and I stand by it - if I can’t have difficult conversations with my players I may as well go and coach netball which is a sport with participants that I consider are far more resilient and progressive than footballers. Anyone got a problem?”
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:37 am I hope the netballers are ok
Me too.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Played mixed netball for a few seasons and nearly ended up in the carpark trading blows on a few occasions.

Great sport (one of the biggest in the country) and it's a sign of Ricky's naivete to disrespect it.

I like how he says girls and boys like it's a children's game not to be taken seriously.

I'd love to see Liz Ellis shirtfront him about it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:"I’ve had a laugh about it, I had some journalists ring me last night, we had some laughs about it."

Ummmm, Rick........
Dig up stupid...

We thought it was funny hahahhaha but anyway sorry

Last edited by -TW- on May 14, 2021, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I've played both sports. Rugby League is definitely tougher. Sorry if I've offended anybody who plays netball.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2021, 1:21 pm I've played both sports. Rugby League is definitely tougher. Sorry if I've offended anybody who plays netball.
:roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
T_R wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:50 am I used to date a girl who played netball for NSW, back in the day. Quite frankly, the brutality of that game both on and off the field has to be experienced to truly understand it.
I remember a friend of mine convinced me to join her mixed netball team when i was about 17-18, i had finished up footy a few years ago and my fitness has gone down as a result so i figured it was a rec league, it'll be a bit of fun, get a bit fit, why not?
It was honestly the most vicious season of sport i have ever experienced, and i played on some very grubby RL teams in my 12 years of playing club and school footy in Western Sydney Image
My best mates g/f talked us into playing an F grade mixed comp. I was playing centre in our season grand final and absolutely giving my opponent a bath.. she cracked the **** at my 10th intercept in front of her and just tackled me around the waist.

Obviously the ref called penalty. So my opponent jumps up and runs over into the ref's face cursing... the ref blew her whistle again and said, if you swear at me again I'm sending you off. So she gave the ref an almighty backhand and then followed back through with a punch to the nose. Broken.

She storms off the court while her boyfriend is trying to calm her down... she gives him one as well. We were all stunned, watching her storm out of the centre. A minute later she charges back inside to get her two infant children who'd been watching the whole thing.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: May 14, 2021, 2:18 pm
Botman wrote:
T_R wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:50 am I used to date a girl who played netball for NSW, back in the day. Quite frankly, the brutality of that game both on and off the field has to be experienced to truly understand it.
I remember a friend of mine convinced me to join her mixed netball team when i was about 17-18, i had finished up footy a few years ago and my fitness has gone down as a result so i figured it was a rec league, it'll be a bit of fun, get a bit fit, why not?
It was honestly the most vicious season of sport i have ever experienced, and i played on some very grubby RL teams in my 12 years of playing club and school footy in Western Sydney Image
My best mates g/f talked us into playing an F grade mixed comp. I was playing centre in our season grand final and absolutely giving my opponent a bath.. she cracked the **** at my 10th intercept in front of her and just tackled me around the waist.

Obviously the ref called penalty. So my opponent jumps up and runs over into the ref's face cursing... the ref blew her whistle again and said, if you swear at me again I'm sending you off. So she gave the ref an almighty backhand and then followed back through with a punch to the nose. Broken.

She storms off the court while her boyfriend is trying to calm her down... she gives him one as well. We were all stunned, watching her storm out of the centre. A minute later she charges back inside to get her two infant children who'd been watching the whole thing.
Sticky would sort her out.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote:

Yeah but if that was a guy though
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote:

Sticky would sort her out.
His half time speech would calm her down?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

How is this even news? It was something that he said to another person in private. Its no different to calling footy players dumb or soccer players overdramatic. Only the most precious, hyper sensitive people will take offence and go on a public rant condemning it. If this is the standard by which we pretend outrage and force others to apologise then bring on the apocalypse, we are all going to hell. Meanwhile there’s kids getting blown to bits in Gaza and this is the kind of nonsense that people find upsetting.

Btw im laughing along with Ricky and everybody else with their mental faculties still in tact despite 21st century deluge of identity politics, if Ricky cant talk tough to his players he might as well go coach netball. And ballet, and synchronised swimming, and soccer.

:braces to be cancelled: :o
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

rayden83 wrote: May 14, 2021, 2:34 pm How is this even news? It was something that he said to another person in private. Its no different to calling footy players dumb or soccer players overdramatic. Only the most precious, hyper sensitive people will take offence and go on a public rant condemning it. If this is the standard by which we pretend outrage and force others to apologise then bring on the apocalypse, we are all going to hell. Meanwhile there’s kids getting blown to bits in Gaza and this is the kind of nonsense that people find upsetting.

Btw im laughing along with Ricky and everybody else with their mental faculties still in tact despite 21st century deluge of identity politics, if Ricky cant talk tough to his players he might as well go coach netball. And ballet, and synchronised swimming, and soccer.

It's news because we live in the age of social media and news agencies use that as the source for most of their stories. Coupled with people only too willing to find offence and voice their indignation gives you and endless source of news material.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Bay53 wrote: May 14, 2021, 6:24 am
-TW- wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:14 am Fair enough too, he didn't mean it with any malice but it's about getting rid of that attitude that women's Sports are "soft" and lesser than men's sport
To be fair that is not what the comments from the netball clubs were complaining about. The quote from Ricky was nothing to do with on field activity, but having hard conversations with players off the field.

The netball clubs, not unreasonably arked up and said “hold on, we are professional sports too. We have elite athletes and we have to make hard decisions about cutting players, leaving players out of the team, bench rotations etc. We also tell our players at times their performances are unacceptable.”

Some may see it as a sexist comment, but reading those tweets, I reckon they saw it as an attack on the professionalism of their elite athletes and they are entirely correct.
You're right, but I think it does circle back to professional netballers not being viewed as elite athletes and professionals because it is a predominantly women's sport.

I cringed hard when I saw Ricky's comments AND his response. Netball is a tough game - I played it when I was in primary school, and despite us having to present our freshly-cut fingernails to the umpire for inspection every game, came off with cuts, scratches and bruises on multiple occasions. But Ricky is also a fool if he thinks a netball coach doesn't have to make hard decisions and have hard conversations.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2021, 3:16 pm
rayden83 wrote: May 14, 2021, 2:34 pm How is this even news? It was something that he said to another person in private. Its no different to calling footy players dumb or soccer players overdramatic. Only the most precious, hyper sensitive people will take offence and go on a public rant condemning it. If this is the standard by which we pretend outrage and force others to apologise then bring on the apocalypse, we are all going to hell. Meanwhile there’s kids getting blown to bits in Gaza and this is the kind of nonsense that people find upsetting.

It's news because we live in the age of social media and news agencies use that as the source for most of their stories. Coupled with people only too willing to find offence and voice their indignation gives you and endless source of news material.
Social media is the source of all evil.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, we've only had evil in the world since 2004.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I think we should remove sex all together and become mutants.
This place is woke.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I always enjoy seeing how the "people get offended too easily" brigade gets so furious themselves when these sorts of stories occur.
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

This is embarrassing, and Ricky's so called 'apology' makes it even worse. He doubled down alright, it was clear he sees no problem with what he said.

Those who are saying that it was a private conversation...IT WAS TO A SPORTS JOURNALIST! How can he school players like Tapine about social media etiquette when he is making ignorant and sexist (yes it is sexist, Netball is one of the only predominantly women's sports and the clear implication is that women are not tough) comments to **** journalists.

I'll also point out that those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones...maybe Ricky should spend some time learning how Netball coaches have tough conversations with their players, because if that is the reason why we are repeating 2018 then maybe he should be asking for pointers rather than throwing insults.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raoul Duke wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:08 pm This is embarrassing, and Ricky's so called 'apology' makes it even worse. He doubled down alright, it was clear he sees no problem with what he said.

Those who are saying that it was a private conversation...IT WAS TO A SPORTS JOURNALIST! How can he school players like Tapine about social media etiquette when he is making ignorant and sexist (yes it is sexist, Netball is one of the only predominantly women's sports and the clear implication is that women are not tough) comments to **** journalists.

I'll also point out that those in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones...maybe Ricky should spend some time learning how Netball coaches have tough conversations with their players, because if that is the reason why we are repeating 2018 then maybe he should be asking for pointers rather than throwing insults.
But people in greenhouses can throw away 😉
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:Social media is the source of all evil.
If Social media is the the source of all evil.

And money is the root of all evil.

Does that make Social media the source of all roots? Image
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:
Azza wrote:Social media is the source of all evil.
If Social media is the the source of all evil.

And money is the root of all evil.

Does that make Social media the source of all roots? Image
Based on tinder, yes

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: May 14, 2021, 5:55 pm Yes, we've only had evil in the world since 2004.
Now you're just being ridiculous Fergus. Before that we had people who called football soccer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Soccer is soccer.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I've really got my knickers in a knot about this.
This place is woke.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

It’s interesting, in country Victoria, netball and AFL are very closely linked. Most of the comps are “xx Football and Netball League”. If the country town can’t stump up a netball team, they don’t get to play AFL.