Netballers up in arms over comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Netballers up in arms over comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Post by greeneyed »

‘We deserve more respect’: Netballers up in arms over alleged comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Current and former netball players have slammed alleged comments made by Ricky Stuart about netball. On NRL 360, Paul Kent reported on a discussion he had with Stuart over recent discussions with his players: “As Ricky said to me - 'If I can’t have tough conversations with my better players I might as well coach netball'."

The comments did not go down well in the Australian netball community and were shared widely by netball clubs on social media. Netball great Liz Ellis also made her displeasure known.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-des ... 57rqy.html

Stuart’s disrespectful netball jab hurts every Aussie sport: http://bit.ly/3bnBhBr
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Netballers up in arms over alleged comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Post by gerg »

Ricky really needs to double down on this one and have a crack at all the 'Karens' playing netball. Quickly followed with muttering **** me under his breath.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Netballers up in arms over alleged comment of Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

Post by Billy Walker »

I heard Kent say that on 360 and cringed as he said it but I thought he was giving a theme of the conversation he had with Ricky more than providing a direct quote of what Ricky said. Kent is not doing Ricky any favours at present.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

“It’s 2021 and these comments are still being said about women in general and there is no need for it,” Garbin said.

Disgusting comment. It’s not just women who play netball, men and non binaries play it too.

I can’t believe in this day and age there are people who still refers to sports as either ‘mens sports’ or ‘women’s sports’.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Oh gosh, the outrageous times we live in.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fair enough too, he didn't mean it with any malice but it's about getting rid of that attitude that women's Sports are "soft" and lesser than men's sport

Just like calling people "spastics" or "retards", it's not acceptable anymore

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus H **** Christ, Stick, it’s 2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

OUTRAGE!!!
This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

My local netball club wants to fire Ricky into the sun..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Please Rick, don’t start bagging the inclusion of BreakDancing into the Olympics..
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:14 am Fair enough too, he didn't mean it with any malice but it's about getting rid of that attitude that women's Sports are "soft" and lesser than men's sport
To be fair that is not what the comments from the netball clubs were complaining about. The quote from Ricky was nothing to do with on field activity, but having hard conversations with players off the field.

The netball clubs, not unreasonably arked up and said “hold on, we are professional sports too. We have elite athletes and we have to make hard decisions about cutting players, leaving players out of the team, bench rotations etc. We also tell our players at times their performances are unacceptable.”

Some may see it as a sexist comment, but reading those tweets, I reckon they saw it as an attack on the professionalism of their elite athletes and they are entirely correct.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I knew this would be a thing as soon as I heard it. The point of comparison in the phrase is more commonly about tiddlywinks isn’t it?
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

I can understand Ricky gets warned for swearing on a live broadcast.

But this was a comment apparently made in private, albeit to his mate the journalist.

If this is the worst thing a person says in private in any given week, they are an absolute saint.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It's an odd comment to make.

If he thinks netball is soft, does he also think basketball is soft?

Why not use basketball as the example?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: May 14, 2021, 7:21 am It's an odd comment to make.

Exactly..

Those ridiculously long shorts and those stupid full length tights underneath..

If any sport needs a good serve it’s basketball.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

As a retired male netball player, this is nothing more then a storm in a tea cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 14, 2021, 6:29 am I knew this would be a thing as soon as I heard it. The point of comparison in the phrase is more commonly about tiddlywinks isn’t it?
And that’s the thing Roger - before everyone picks up pitch forks and sticks, Has Ricky actually acknowledged that he said this?? I cringed as I watched it on 360 as well, but Kent was giving a flavour of a conversation he had with Ricky. It’s not inconceivable that Ricky did make a comparison to tiddlywinks or marbles and it’s actually Kent that has done him an injustice in how he has relayed it on the show.

It was a dumb choice of words but there is a chance it could be Kent’s dumb choice rather than Ricks. There is also a chance that Rick used a worse analogy like ballet, AFLW or something else offensive. I just think we might be jumping the gun on this one here and directing outrage at the wrong person. I’d like to hear from Ricky or Kent about who actually said what before judging here.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:
afgtnk wrote: May 14, 2021, 7:21 am It's an odd comment to make.

Exactly..

Those ridiculously long shorts and those stupid full length tights underneath..

If any sport needs a good serve it’s basketball.
Careful - GE thinks rugby league is basketball.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's a dumb comment if indeed he did say that, but the sort of thing you'd expect to hear from a guy his age. That sort of attitude is just how they were brought up and the cement in the brain is long dried by now, they aren't changing.

Which isn't to say he's done nothing wrong or it shouldn't be called out. He's absolutely said a dumb thing and he should be called out and I'm glad he's being called out for it, because the point of calling this stuff out publicly is so young people, particularly young men, who's cement is still wet and still learning can see that this kind of derogatory comparisons that are at their core, sexist, aren't acceptable anymore.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I hope the netballers are ok
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i just dont understand the use of it. is he saying tough conversations dont need to be had in netball? or can netballers handle tough conversations?
interchanges are far easier to handle in netball also so maybe hes onto something.
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I used to date a girl who played netball for NSW, back in the day. Quite frankly, the brutality of that game both on and off the field has to be experienced to truly understand it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:50 am I used to date a girl who played netball for NSW, back in the day. Quite frankly, the brutality of that game both on and off the field has to be experienced to truly understand it.
I remember a friend of mine convinced me to join her mixed netball team when i was about 17-18, i had finished up footy a few years ago and my fitness has gone down as a result so i figured it was a rec league, it'll be a bit of fun, get a bit fit, why not?
It was honestly the most vicious season of sport i have ever experienced, and i played on some very grubby RL teams in my 12 years of playing club and school footy in Western Sydney :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Why is it called netball anyway.

There’s no net.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

-PJ- wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:01 am Why is it called netball anyway.

There’s no net.
you clearly dont watch enough netball
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

simo wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:06 am

There’s no net.
you clearly dont watch enough netball
No, cuz it’s soft.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There’s no net.
"They call them "fingers," but I never see them fing...

Oh wait, there they go"
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

There’s millions of netball courts scattered across this great land and I haven’t seen a net yet!!!!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:10 am

There’s no net.

Oh wait, there they go"
SHUT UP NETFACE
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:16 am

There’s no net.

Oh wait, there they go"
SHUT UP NETFACE
HEY! YOU'RE IN THE NET TOO!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:17 am
simo wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:16 am

There’s no net.

Oh wait, there they go"
SHUT UP NETFACE
HEY! YOU'RE IN THE NET TOO!
I SAID SHUT UP NETFACE
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe the NRL and Netball Australia could come up with a hybrid game.

We’ll see who’s soft when Papa gets given the GA bib.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:19 am Maybe the NRL and Netball Australia could come up with a hybrid game.

You see, I know you're joking, but you might be onto something.

I'd also consider a game like the used to do with games between union and league teams - first half under league rules, second half under netball rules.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:01 am
-PJ- wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:19 am Maybe the NRL and Netball Australia could come up with a hybrid game.

You see, I know you're joking, but you might be onto something.

I'd also consider a like the used to do with games between union and league teams - first half under league rules, second half under netball rules.
Now we’re talking. We’d have to use rules from both sports.

So..no scratching..no cat calling..no chicken wings..no shoulder charges..no grapples etc.

Play 40mins netball and 40mins Rugbrugh Leeg.

Let’s see Liz Ellis off the back fence.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Would be really awkward if we're playing Rugby League rules in the second half... And we lose.