38%
Bulldogs 13+
No votes

Total votes: 8

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

Great work by the team to hang tough in a difficult situation. Less good work to end up in that position in the first place against the likely spooners.

Going to be a tough year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:15 pm
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:09 pm Thought a couple of much maligned players had good games
Simonsson, Scott, Valemei, CHN?

All were good.
I'd add Aekins and Hodgson to that list too, but yeah primarily those 4
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

This could be an unpopular opinion given he's been one of the better players in a **** team, but I reckon we looked better without Rapana today than without him
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Finally!!! 💚💚💚
Let’s enjoy this win... storm n roosters next f/night🙈🙈🙈
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Two competition points is welcome, but the same problems remain. Very little in the way of driving defensive plays. The dis-organisation on the last play options. Too often the ball goes to a non-playmaker and I think in some cases the player with the ball doesn't know its the last tackle.

Trying to find some positives - George Williams goal kicking and defensive plays. Valemei did some nice things in attack. So did Scott.

I reckon Papa, Jack and possibly Hodgo for the chicken wing will be missing next week. We have Storm and then Roosters before the bye.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Semi looked good,Simos best game defensively,Scott's best game for us,Aekins best game too. Kris got found out a couple of times
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

It's hard to feel too optimistic after that, though I thought there were at least a couple of good signs.

Hodgo is the most obvious. He looked better than I'd expected in that Victor Radley style role. One clear area to work on here is our 5th tackle options when he's out there playing that role, we looked completely lost on a few occasions in the second half.

Valemei looks worthy of persistence. Still a work in progress but a guy who can absolutely have an impact at this level. Curtis Scott had some frustrating moments but is looking much more dangerous with ball in hand. I've been critical of Bailey but he came up with some important defensive plays today.

Caleb Aekins is no world beater - and we clearly miss CNK in a number of facets - but he is a handy ball player and had some crucial touches. I would say our red zone attack is better with him in the lineup, even if we're significantly worse in other areas.

We needn't to win and we did, hopefully some of the guys take a little confidence from it. I hope Ricky doesn't go to far down the 'bravest win I've ever been a part of' route - the guys deserve some credit for showing some heart, but this is still a roster that's massively under-performing.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Anyone watch the presser? Both Barrett and Stuart spoke about the match for about 45secs with the rest of the time spent discussing the rules and how unrecognisable the game is getting. Only the NRL **** where they eat.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:04 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:02 pm
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:01 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 15, 2021, 4:59 pm I don’t mind the Papalli send off...if it’s consistent.
You just know we will be the only team to cop the brunt of V’landys brain fart this weekend and therein lies the problem for me...
There has been 3 games and 10 send off/sin bins
The other sides have already copped the brunt
Send offs apart from Papalli?
I haven’t watched the other games..
Who got sent off??
He’s the only send off so far
But none of the other games have had an incident nearly as bad as papa’s

I have no doubt these sin bins and send offs will be a feature of this weekend
Ok, let’s see if they stay consistent.
Like I said, no problem with it as long as they keep it consistent going forward..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I have little time for Kevvie, but even he didn’t bite on any of that crap last night. Sounds like I’m gonna be really disappointed in the presser again.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Watching the next game, so much consistency in the sin bins...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Applaud the resilience to come back and win..
Hodgson looks good in that middle receiver role...
Centre’s great in attack but two bad reads in defence..
Our wingers played well but do lack explosive speed..
But overall very hard to take much from a game against the team possibly going more woeful than us in terms of form...
Ricky has a **** tonne of work to do for the remainder of this season and offseason...
Clear as day we need more wide ball players who keep the defence guessing and promote the use of our centre’s and wingers...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trent Barrett and Ricky Stuart both with pointed comments in the press conferences about the "new rules". They clearly wanted to be stronger.

The interpretations this weekend are frankly ridiculous. What we've seen this weekend is not rugby league. There is such a thing as accidental contact and accidents.

Peter V'landys... you have taken our game away from us with a raft of rule changes in the past two years. Give us our game back. Magic Round sure is lacking magic.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

twistedbydesign wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:35 pm Caleb Aekins is no world beater - and we clearly miss CNK in a number of facets - but he is a handy ball player and had some crucial touches. I would say our red zone attack is better with him in the lineup, even if we're significantly worse in other areas.
Been saying this for years now
The biggest problem with our red zone offence is the fullback ball playing problem
CNK comes straight back in when healthy, but the Aekins experience has shown our structure and shape can create tries if we have that ball playing fullback arrow in the quiver
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:28 pm This could be an unpopular opinion given he's been one of the better players in a **** team, but I reckon we looked better without Rapana today than without him
Rapana should be moved on as we lack genuine speed in the backline.
Both the wings today played well but both lack speed.
They are big bodies and offered good yardage out of trouble...thought Kris and Scott did that too...
We do miss CNK’s metres...his hard running has been missed.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Begbie wrote: May 15, 2021, 4:59 pm
simo wrote: May 15, 2021, 4:57 pmAekins stinks
Yes. Yes he does. But it was great to see Scott, Vilamea and Bailey put in - I doff my hat to that threesome this afternoon.
Threesomes should always be celebrated
Dont delete this GE
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

We will almost definitely lose our next two matches. Then with suspensions and injuries coming after the following bye, we will make our run to the finals, similar to 89. Ricky Stuart will have all cylinders firing by then. Scrape into 7th or 6th and then at our best, firing at the right time who knows. There will be a lot of disappointment in the next few weeks though.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm Trent Barrett and Ricky Stuart both with pointed comments in the press conferences about the "new rules". They clearly wanted to be stronger.

The interpretations this weekend are frankly ridiculous. What we've seen this weekend is not rugby league. There is such a thing as accidental contact and accidents.

Peter V'landys... you have taken our game away from us with a raft of rule changes in the past two years. Give us our game back. Magic Round sure is lacking magic.
Correct. At some point the players need to be allowed to make their own decision on whether the risks of playing the game are worth it because without players like Papalii the game is finished.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm sad we are wearing our MILK jerseys in a year we suck so bad.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm Magic Round sure is lacking magic.
125000 people disagree.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Again in this game... now a shoulder to the head is only 10 in the bin...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm
twistedbydesign wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:35 pm Caleb Aekins is no world beater - and we clearly miss CNK in a number of facets - but he is a handy ball player and had some crucial touches. I would say our red zone attack is better with him in the lineup, even if we're significantly worse in other areas.
The biggest problem with our red zone offence is the fullback ball playing problem
CNK comes straight back in when healthy, but the Aekins experience has shown our structure and shape can create tries if we have that ball playing fullback arrow in the quiver
Tbh I think everyone knows this... some just don't want to admit it

I give Hodgson a lot of credit for those back end moves too though
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:28 pm This could be an unpopular opinion given he's been one of the better players in a **** team, but I reckon we looked better without Rapana today than without him
I thought we looked pretty abysmal all game, same as the past 5 weeks.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:08 pm
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm
Tbh I think everyone knows this... some just don't want to admit it

I give Hodgson a lot of credit for those back end moves too though
We all know what cnk lacks. We just love what he doesnt. The drop between cnks ball carry and aekins is infuriating (to me). Bloke runs waving a white flag
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

I actually think the refs have done a fantastic job of following these last minute awful guidelines. The change stinks but theyve been consistent to them with all the rulings
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:38 pm I actually think the refs have done a fantastic job of following these last minute awful guidelines. The change stinks but theyve been consistent to them with all the rulings
I think so too
Not sure what I think of them yet

Don’t think we’ll know until we see how teams respond in weeks 2-3-4
But I do understand what they’re trying to do and I generally agree with the goal... not sure if this is the right way to go about it though

But if it we get 4 weeks down the road and the shots like Papalii’s and Wighton’s are just out of the game
Then it’s probably a good thing
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

There was a worse example of a shoulder charge to the head in the 1st half of the Souths v CN game and the Souths player only got 10 mins! Where is the consistency? It is ridiculous to suddenly introduce draconian penalties so far into the season. The obvious reason is the NRL's officials failed to detect two foul plays last week and now everyone has to be punished for the NRL's oversights! I'm thankful for V'Landy getting the game back but his constant messing with the game is destroying it!!!!
Last edited by Green Taipan on May 16, 2021, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:42 pm
simo wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:38 pm I actually think the refs have done a fantastic job of following these last minute awful guidelines. The change stinks but theyve been consistent to them with all the rulings
I think so too

But I do understand what they’re trying to do and I generally agree with the goal... not sure if this is the right way to go about it though

But if it we get 4 weeks down the road and the shots like Papalii’s and Wighton’s are just out of the game
This - also it ripples down to junior footy, my sons team were beneficiaries of two head high calls where the whistle is blown as soon as anything goes near the neck/head...

Junior rugby league and the sport in general needs this, we don’t want our kids or anyone getting CTE unnecessarily..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Green Taipan wrote: The obvious reason is the NRL's officials failed to detect two fowl plays last week
I’ll let you off since they were against the Roosters so you get by on a technicality.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:42 pm
I think so too

This - also it ripples down to junior footy, my sons team were beneficiaries of two head high calls where the whistle is blown as soon as anything goes near the neck/head...

Junior rugby league and the sport in general needs this, we don’t want our kids or anyone getting CTE unnecessarily..
Yep, this is shoulder charge MK II.

Suck it up and live with it folks. Adapt your play and benefit.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm Trent Barrett and Ricky Stuart both with pointed comments in the press conferences about the "new rules". They clearly wanted to be stronger.

I agree whole heartedly with this post. And I think both Coaches handled the Pressers well and agree with Barrett and Sticky 100%.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

My point on these V’landys “rule changes”....

I hope you apply the same consistency through Origin and the finals series...

I bet it doesn’t last.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Just want to say that Hodgson is by far and away our best player. He makes our other players look better when he is on the field. Jack is great individually, but he doesn't do that.

Hodgson is also the natural leader of the team, captain or not.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Couldn’t agree more... it’s extremely disappointing. Rugby league isn’t for everyone, you don’t see them changing the UFC to be more family friendly yet it’s one of the most popular sports in the world and for good reason!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Boomercm wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:40 pm Just want to say that Hodgson is by far and away our best player. He makes our other players look better when he is on the field. Jack is great individually, but he doesn't do that.

Hodgson is also the natural leader of the team, captain or not.
Completely agree. Always have.
Dont delete this GE