Post by greeneyed »

2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs
Saturday 15 May, 3:00pm
Lang Park
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late evening. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 12 Max 24

After five losses in a row, the Raiders now head to Brisbane for Magic Round and a meeting with the last placed Canterbury Bulldogs.

Last round: 2021 Round 9. Newcastle Knights 24 - Canberra Raiders 16. Five losses in a row. That's not happened since the dark days of 2014. Another second half capitulation, one that seems to happen every week. In the past five matches, the Canberra Raiders have scored eight points and conceded 93. Yesterday afternoon, the Raiders led 16-0 at half time. They did not score another point in the match, and conceded 24 unanswered points. This was a loss to a team that had been sitting in 11th place on the ladder. A team with a makeshift halves combination, that had been humiliated by the Roosters last week.

More on Round 9: As I saw it

Team news: The Raiders have some injury problems after the Knights clash. Ryan Sutton (elbow), Joe Tapine (knee) and Jordan Rapana (hamstring) are all unavailable. Semi Valemei comes in on the wing for Rapana, while Hudson Young replaces Sutton at lock. Former co-captain Josh Hodgson (calf) returns on the bench, with Tom Starling retaining his spot at starting hooker. Forwards Dunamis Lui and Ryan James come back into the top 17 on the bench.

The Bulldogs have dropped Kyle Flanagan, after he was hooked last weekend at half time in the clash with the Dragons. Jake Averillo moves to halfback, with Brandon Wakeham brought in at five eighth. Nick Meany replaces Corey Allan (shoulder) in the centres, with Tui Katoa injected on the wing. Dylan Napa (shoulder) returns at starting prop, while Renouf Atoni comes in at lock. Lachlan Lewis is out of the squad due to broken ribs.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Siliva Havili and Harry Rushton from their squad on Friday afternoon, leaving Sam Williams and Matt Timoko on the reserves list. Bulldogs prop Dylan Napa failed in his bid to return from injury, prompting a reshuffle in the forwards. Kyle Flanagan was also cut from the Canterbury squad.

History: The Raiders have won 32 and lost 39 matches against the Canterbury Bulldogs. That’s just a 45 per cent win rate. However, the record has been more favourable recently, with Canberra winning six of the past 10 clashes - and the last four in a row. The Raiders won both matches against the Bulldogs played in 2018. The Raiders took the Round 5 clash at Canberra Stadium, 26-10 - and then produced one of the most extraordinary comebacks in Green Machine history in Round 17 at Belmore, winning 32-28. The clubs met only once in 2019, with the Raiders running out narrow 12-10 winners at Stadium Australia. The Raiders won 34-20 in Round 16 in 2020. The two teams have never played each other at Lang Park.

2021 Round 16: Canberra Raiders V Canterbury Bulldogs

Form: Raiders: LLLLL
Bulldogs: LLWLL

The Bulldogs have won one game all season, the Round 7 clash with the Sharks at Kogarah (18-12). That's still a better recent record than the Raiders. The Bulldogs are coming off a 32-12 loss to the Dragons last week at Kogarah.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.15 favourites, while the Bulldogs are paying $5.50. The Bulldogs have a 15.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: If you think the Raiders are doing it tough, have a look at some of the Bulldogs statistics. Last on the ladder, last for possession share, last for running metres, last for kick return metres, last for line breaks, last for tackle breaks, last for tries, last for try assists, last for line break assists. It is not because they produce a lot of errors or have low completitions. Those numbers are good. But their attack is the bluntest in the league. The Bulldogs have also conceded the most tries and points in the competition, the most running metres and the most penalties. An almost perfect storm.

The Raiders have not lost six matches in a row since 2013, when they lost the last six of the season. Coach David Furner was sacked before Andrew Dunemann took over for the final two games. The Raiders lost the first game of 2014 as well, after Ricky Stuart took over.

2021 Season record: Raiders 3 and 6 (12th, -36)
Bulldogs 1 and 8 (16th, -188)

Attack: Raiders 19 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 9th on tries scored
Bulldogs 10 points and 2 tries scored per match, ranked 16th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 23 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 7th on fewest tries conceded
Bulldogs 31 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 16th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Bulldogs 47 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 75 per cent, Bulldogs 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1564 running metres from 175 runs (11 dummy half runs), 163 kick return metres, 565 post contact metres per match
Bulldogs 1454 running metres from 166 runs (10 dummy half runs), 133 kick return metres, 533 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Bulldogs 20 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 2 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Bulldogs 1 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Bulldogs 1 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Bulldogs 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 560 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Bulldogs 626 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 356 made, 29 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Bulldogs 361 made, 33 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1520, Bulldogs 1719 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Bulldogs 9 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 5 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 3 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 6 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Bulldogs 5 per match

Key match-ups:

Caleb Aekins and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak: Caleb Aekins has been doing a pretty good job in the past four matches, deputising for the injured Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. But I think it is fair to say that the Raiders are missing CNK in organising the defence. Watene-Zelezniak started the year on the wing, but half of his six appearances this year have been at fullback. There's not a lot of diffenence in their numbers overall, but DWZ probably shades Aekins.

Bailey Simonsson and Nick Cotric: Canberra junior Nick Cotric left the Raiders for the Bulldogs at the end of last season - on a big money contract and on a promise of a centre spot. Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was firm in the belief that wing is Cotric's best postition - and that's where Cotric is now lining up. Cotric is nowhere near the form he was when he made the NSW and Australian teams. Bailey Simonsson has also had a variable season so far. I would like to see better numbers from him in attack, but his opportunities have often been limited. In addition, he has struggled in defence at times - although the responsibility for that has often rested on the players inside him. The former team mates will no doubt be keen to come out on top in this clash. Who takes the "skin"? Based on the numbers so far, I'd have to say Cotric.

Josh Papalii and Luke Thompson: Josh Papalii returned as starting prop last week, after being rested for the clash with the Rabbitohs. He was the Dally M Prop of the Year in 2020 and he's not been in that form this year. But he's still been one of the Raiders' best forwards in my view - and he played well on his return. Luke Thompson was highly rated in England and he looked good playing for England in Tests. But he's not made a huge impact since coming to Australia. He produced some good numbers against the Dragons last week: 130 metres and 46 tackles in 68 minutes. But Papalii still wins this match-up.

Tom Starling and Sione Katoa: Hooker Josh Hodgson returns from a calf injury this week, but Tom Starling has retained the No. 9 jersey. Hodgson is back on the bench. It says a lot about how the Raiders view the future of Starling at the club. Starling has seven appearances for 2021, but he's only started in the past three matches. He was getting limited minutes before that. Opposition teams are sending a lot of runners in Starling's direction, and one of the smallest players in the league has had to produce about 50 tackles per game in the last three weeks. But his tackle efficiency is still 90 per cent - and that's just as good as his opponent this week. And it is better than the tackle efficiency Hodgson has posted this year. For mine, Starling wins this match-up against Katoa overall.

My tip: The Raiders are again very clear favourites in this match - and based on all the numbers, they should be. But the Raiders have been favourites in three of the past five weeks too. The Raiders not only have to overcome the opposition, but they now have some mental barriers of their own to overcome too. If the Raiders don't win - as Brad Fittler said this week - there'll be nowhere to hide. That's what makes the match even tougher. I'll tip the Raiders by six, but I have to admit, I can't rule out an upset either.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders five eithth Jack Wighton: "We're like a broken record, a team of two halves, unbelievable. It's a cycle we've got to break and once we break it we're going to go on a roll I reckon. We've just lost the knack of winning, you know what I mean. We're all busting our **** and we're all trying for each other, but we just can't seem to win. Winning's contagious and we just don't seem to have that at the moment. We're just on a roll of a losing streak, but we're going to stick together."

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Josh Hodgson
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan James

18. Sam Williams
19. Matthew Timoko

Injury/Suspension
Jordan Rapana, Hamstring (Rd 11-12)
Sia Soliola, Knee (Rd 11-12)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Rd 11-12)
Ryan Sutton, Elbow (Rd 12-13)
Joe Tapine, Knee (Rd 12-13)
Albert Hopoate, Shoulder (Rd 11-13)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Rd 15-16)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps tendon (Rd 20-22)

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Nick Cotric
3. Will Hopoate
4. Nick Meaney
5. Tuipulotu Katoa
6. Brandon Wakeham
7. Jake Averillo
10. Luke Thompson
9. Sione Katoa
16. Ava Seumanufagai
11. Adam Elliott
12. Chris Smith
13. Renouf Atoni

14. Bradley Deitz
15. Corey Waddell
17. Matt Doorey
20. Joe Stimson

21. Aaron Schoupp
23. Ofahiki Ogden

Injury/Suspension
Lachlan Lewis, Lung (TBA)
Corey Allan, Shoulder (Rd 11-13)
Jeremy Marshall-King, Foot (Rd 12)
Josh Jackson, Calf (Rd 12)
Jack Hetherington, Suspension (Rd 12)
Jayden Okunbor, Knee (Rd 16)
Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Foot (Rd 18-22)
Christian Crichton, Knee (Season)

Officials

Referee: Chris Butler
Touch judges: Todd Smith, Tyson Brough
Video referee: Matt Noyen

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLBulldogsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Updated match preview.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

these new head/neck contact rules are going to be ****
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Was there new rules or just more focus? I couldn't find the specific rules.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

V'landys is a cooked unit. Hate changing rules throughout the season.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

zim wrote:Was there new rules or just more focus? I couldn't find the specific rules.
More focus, but apparently ANY contact about the head or neck in minimum sin bin now

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

This is going to be an unmagic round.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

-TW- wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:30 am
zim wrote:Was there new rules or just more focus? I couldn't find the specific rules.
More focus, but apparently ANY contact about the head or neck in minimum sin bin now

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Even if its secondary, off the ball or chest. how will anyone tackle brandon smith when he burrows?
Dont delete this GE
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day!
My prediction 6 sin bins, all Raiders!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just got home from work..

Rostered on all weekend.

Off to bed now and up for the Raiders at 3.

Then back to work..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

zim wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:32 am This is going to be an unmagic round.
Oh, instead of magic round.

LMAO
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

-PJ- wrote: May 15, 2021, 6:59 am I just got home from work..

Rostered on all weekend.

Off to bed now and up for the Raiders at 3.

Then back to work..
Enjoy PJ,I'm off for once :D
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Up in Brisbane with 7 or 8 mates from various parts of Oz. Hoping for a Raiders turnaround performance but not exactly expecting any real landmark game.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Today could go either way. It could either be one of our darkest days in Raiders history or a spark of light to kick the team into the rest of the season.

I’m hoping the latter. I also have extremely bad luck in betting so I’m going to put $10 on the doggy’s to win to consolidate the chances of winning. (If they win, at least that pays for a case to drown my sorrows)
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:39 am Today could go either way. It could either be one of our darkest days in Raiders history or a spark of light to kick the team into the rest of the season.

I’m hoping the latter. I also have extremely bad luck in betting so I’m going to put $10 on the doggy’s to win to consolidate the chances of winning. (If they win, at least that pays for a case to drown my sorrows)
I've put a tenner on Raiders HT/Bulldogs FT so at least if we **** the bed again I'll get a couple hundred bucks out of it.

Though knowing my luck, it'll probably end up Bulldogs HT/Bulldogs FT
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

My prediction - Magic Round will become as big as origin. The atmosphere around Brisbane with all the team colours in the city is just amazing.

After the horrors of last year, to be at the ground last night with 41k people without any restrictions and the bars all packed around the ground (with the compulsory check in rules of course) is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

I think it is very close to sold out today. If we were playing the Dogs at BankWest or Stadium Australia today we wouldn’t break 10k.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

We should be winning this 50-0. In reality we’ll either win unconvincingly 18-16, or lose 20-16 after leading and not being able to score a point after halftime. We suck
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Siliva as a running forward in the middle would have to be the most under rated player in the squad by the coaching staff imo. That forward rotation from the bench is all lumbering same same.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

1992 wrote: May 15, 2021, 7:56 am
zim wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:32 am This is going to be an unmagic round.
Oh, instead of magic round.

LMAO
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

julian87 wrote:Siliva as a running forward in the middle would have to be the most under rated player in the squad by the coaching staff imo. That forward rotation from the bench is all lumbering same same.
Yep agreed he has that leg speed and hard to tackle, which is even more important with the rule changes

The rest of the hodors just lumber about stinking up the joint
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Damoni wrote: May 15, 2021, 12:49 pm
julian87 wrote:Siliva as a running forward in the middle would have to be the most under rated player in the squad by the coaching staff imo. That forward rotation from the bench is all lumbering same same.
Yep agreed he has that leg speed and hard to tackle, which is even more important with the rule changes

Disagree. he lacks the motor to be effective at all in the newer game. Last 5 weeks he's averages <40 metres, lucky to make 2 runs at half and has broken about .33 tackles per game. We just get no output from him. One eye catching run and then he has a blow for 15 mins.

Liva as a middle forward is pure squad filler/back up not first 17 material (unless he's playing a hooker role).
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

BadnMean wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:04 pm

Disagree. he lacks the motor to be effective at all in the newer game. Last 5 weeks he's averages <40 metres, lucky to make 2 runs at half and has broken about .33 tackles per game. We just get no output from him. One eye catching run and then he has a blow for 15 mins.

Liva as a middle forward is pure squad filler/back up not first 17 material (unless he's playing a hooker role).
I'm inclined to agree, has an error in him too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:04 pm

It's looking that way. He's struggled with the pace of the modern game. He's dropped well down the queue in the Raiders squad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL match between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs at Lang Park. We'll have live scores from 3:00pm in this thread... please join in with your own commentary as the game unfolds.

Here are the final squads:

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
15. Dunamis Lui

13. Hudson Young
14. Josh Hodgson
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Ryan James

19. Matthew Timoko

Canterbury Bulldogs

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Nick Cotric
3. Will Hopoate
4. Nick Meaney
5. Tuipulotu Katoa
6. Brandon Wakeham
7. Jake Averillo
10. Luke Thompson
9. Sione Katoa
16. Ava Seumanufagai
11. Adam Elliott
12. Chris Smith
13. Renouf Atoni

14. Bradley Deitz
15. Corey Waddell
17. Matt Doorey
23. Ofahiki Ogden

20. Joe Stimson
The Greenhouse score update service
clefauch
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by clefauch »

Wish I was at the game supporting the green machine instead of freezing in Canberra.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Magic round hey, what a load of ****, very hard to show any excitement regarding us v the wooden spooners even a win would be like meh...very hard to get up for this ****.
This place is woke.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

OK so I don't want to alarm anyone but I have an Android phone and have notifications set up re. anything Raiders.

I have no idea how this has happened or why, it's not like it's a NSW Cup score or anything, but I just got an alert that the game was over and this was the score...

Boy-o, can't wait to see this place if that ends up being the actual score.

BRB, going to the TAB...
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm amazed Lui is starting at lock and Hodgo is actually coming off the bench. I would have had Lui starting over Guler, Hodgo over Starling, then Starling to run rampant for the rest of the game with Hodgo moving to lock.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I know the term "rock bottom" gets used liberally but I really think if we lose here we can safely used the phrase.

There is simply no coming back from 3-7, especially with two top-4 sides coming up in the next fortnight.

Just get the win ****.
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

So we're playing the *checks notes*

Bulldogs

Guess that means Jack's gonna fill his boots against this sack of potatoes, which seems to have become tradition.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders are warming up inside... Ricky Stuart interview...

About energy, but also about being calm. I want them to enjoy it, can't fall out of our patterns of play. We're not broken, we're a team that's not in form at the moment. We're a better team than our position on the ladder shows. We've addressed the second half issues.
The Greenhouse score update service
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Has a team on a 5 match skid ever been such short priced favourites at $1.15?
Up The Milk
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Phew, I never thought I'd be so anxious when we're about to play the Bulldogs...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Greenhouse wrote: May 15, 2021, 2:44 pm Raiders are warming up inside... Ricky Stuart interview...

About energy, but also about being calm. I want them to enjoy it, can't fall out of our patterns of play. We're not broken, we're a team that's not in form at the moment. We're a better team than our position on the ladder shows. We've addressed the second half issues.
“It’s the vibe, it’s Mabo...”