No votes

Total votes: 8

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:46 pm
MrMilk wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:28 pm Random observation - Bailey led the team song tonight
He deserved to.

As the senior winger, he stepped up and led the way, both in defence and in running the ball out.

He has the tools - perhaps he just needs some belief and responsibilities.
He's a winger with 2 linebreaks to his name in the last 2 seasons. There's a dozen or so props in the NRL who'd have that many already this year alone. He's a solid defensive contributor, solid ruck outs without being great at it. But he provides a 1/10 attacking threat. 2 line breaks in 2 years... Scott has 5 so we can't say we never go right... at some point I draw the conclusion he as no idea how to position himself effectively in attack.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:49 pm
simo wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:31 pm Agree that horse looks far below peak fitness. Ambled up with his carries. Also thought young looked surprisingly sluggish
Agree with you on both counts simo. HorsPower is one of my favorite players but he looks to be carrying a couple of sandbags under his jersey. Whatever dietician was used to bring Papa back after his Samoan Rep stint in 2017 should be used for Hors. Even when players cannot train while recovering from injury, there should be weigh ins each week for professional athletes to ensure the weight remains within a reasonable range.

Young seems to have been given a role as a power forward but he has not the size, pace or power to deliver on the role. He formerly had some footwork and would run at gaps. Now he takes the ball and heads straight for the opposition who dominate him. It's like his footy smarts have been left in the locker room.
It's not a dietitiian Hors needs. It is the liquid calorie life choices you can't outrun.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm
twistedbydesign wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:35 pm Caleb Aekins is no world beater - and we clearly miss CNK in a number of facets - but he is a handy ball player and had some crucial touches. I would say our red zone attack is better with him in the lineup, even if we're significantly worse in other areas.
Been saying this for years now
The biggest problem with our red zone offence is the fullback ball playing problem
CNK comes straight back in when healthy, but the Aekins experience has shown our structure and shape can create tries if we have that ball playing fullback arrow in the quiver
The setup of our second last try is extremely impressive from IMO.

We spread the ball wide with some nice shape and depth.

George plays a very subtle hand by holding the ball just long enough to turn the third defender in, after which he releases a long sweep pass to Aekins' outside shoulder, which allows Aekins to run onto the ball at speed and away from the inside defenders.

Aekins then keeps the ball in two hands the whole way through, straightens his run and goes deep enough into the line to commit the second defender in. He gets axed as a result by the second defender in, but not before managing to get the pass away with soft hands to Scott, running the line in between the first and second defender in. Scott gets into clear air as a result of that work. Brilliant, textbook bit of ball playing really.

Unfortunately, I've seen what CNK too often does in those situations. It's one of:

a) Receives the ball on the angle, doesn't straighten his run, tries to go through himself, but doesn't have the speed. Ends up heading towards the sideline and getting tackled, having cramped the two players outside him

or

b) Passes to his outside before even attempting to go into the line (from the video, that's would be around the 15 metre mark). By doing that, it allows the second defender in to adjust his target, move onto Scott, who by then has a two on two situation, thus relying on the physical ability of either himself or Valemei to shrug of the defender/s to score, or rely on a mistake from the opposition winger to put Valemei over.

Chances of scoring there are significantly decreased, due to the cramped space, and the opposition fullback and other cover coming over to take him or Valemei.

So, to cut a long story short. Yes. We abso-****-lutely need someone to be able to play as a second receiver sweeping around the back. It's those exact kind of bread and butter tries you miss out on when you don't. That Charnze does not have in his locker what a fairly ordinary backup does, and has not been able to develop it in three seasons, HAS to be of high concern to the coach.
Clear as day wasn't it.

No one would argue Aekins is anything but a stock standard back up FB who is just about close to adequate at most things but not really FG standard at most things. But he's run more ball playing in 3 games than CNk has managed in 3 years. The ball dies with CNK on every play- poor bugger just can't let a pass go.

You can make a good team with CNk at FB but you really need ball playing half(ves) + a ball playing lock to play that way instead. Or you go for Dufty or Hynes.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Another hard watch. So, slightly better than the Bulldogs, then. George did OK, and most of-the (few) good things in attack came through him. He never liked goal-kicking at Wigan, and I don't imagine he does now either, but doing OK on that front. Can't argue with Papa's red, really, in the circs.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Good to see Michael Ennis in our coaches box today. The more involvement he has with our coaching the better. I rate his analysis and his football smarts are in line with Cooper Cronk.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:28 pm This could be an unpopular opinion given he's been one of the better players in a **** team, but I reckon we looked better without Rapana today than without him
I think you have one to many withouts in that post but if you’re suggesting we put Rapa out to paddock I have to agree.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:29 pm
sprintman wrote:
LastRaider wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Pete Cash wrote: May 15, 2021, 3:46 pm I know he's better than papalii at the same age but I'm seriously concerned with how hors has returned from his very serious injury.

He's not hitting the line with much ompf. Some of his returns from line drop outs were super soft. He looks unfit
Ricky Stuart basically said in his weekly captain's run press conference that the two Coreys and Emre Guler are not yet match fit, as they missed the off season, but are being required by circumstances to put in big minutes.
Professional athletes which are paid triple figures can’t get themselves fit for the season?!?!? Excuses just keep rolling of Sticky’s tongue
You can’t get match fit unless you’re playing. I’m surprised you don’t know this.
So by round 10 with NSW cup games and NRL games, plus the ability to have 2 pre-season trial games that we can’t get the squad match fit by now?!?!? Please!
Have a look at our slugs then compare them to Penrith.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:07 pm I didnt see the Souths incident live, but i just watched it on replay
it is very similar, but the souths one hits the lower head, rather than straight in the face... and you cant divorce the action from the results. Woods was fine, where as the guy Papa hit was concussed, absolute skittled and ruled out

Should that impact decision making? Im not sure. But one of these events left a guy sprawled on the floor wondering what of the week it was, the other resulted in a guy fighting for extra yardage.
So because Woods has a better chin than Katoa, Papa deserves a send off, while S'ua only gets a ten minute sit down? I would argue that S'ua's hit was worse, technique-wise, he jumps up into Woods to hit his chin with his shoulder. Papa's point of contact was primarily a result of Katoa ducking just before contact. The onfield "result" is a terrible way to adjudicate the punishment.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Pete Cash wrote: May 15, 2021, 3:46 pm I know he's better than papalii at the same age but I'm seriously concerned with how hors has returned from his very serious injury.

He's not hitting the line with much ompf. Some of his returns from line drop outs were super soft. He looks unfit
Ricky Stuart basically said in his weekly captain's run press conference that the two Coreys and Emre Guler are not yet match fit, as they missed the off season, but are being required by circumstances to put in big minutes.
Professional athletes which are paid triple figures can’t get themselves fit for the season?!?!? Excuses just keep rolling of Sticky’s tongue
My 15 year old gets himself up every morning at 4.30am to hit the gym, to be fit for rugby. I have issues that these guys can't get there.
Maybe Horsburgh and Guler coming back from injury has something to do with it?
If it were just them, I'd agree.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Keep pickin Nami.

He plays, we win.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We are a better team with Hodgo in it. We need to find a balance of using both Starling and Hodgo.
Young has regressed , he hasn't kicked on like I thought he would, I had him pushing for SOO this year , now I wouldn't be playing him in FG.
Our red zone attack is awful , our footy IQ is very low. How many times did we just pass and then get tackled on the last. Watch Souths get repeat sets after repeat sets. We need to do the same. George is supposed to have one of the better kicking games lets use it.

I like Semi , I have him in our team moving forward , I know Bailey was good but I dont think we get enough out of him in attack , Semi looks like he can bust a tackle every run.

Papas send off was a joke .. Put it on report , penalise. The Rooster player takes the Cows head off but only gets 10. Ive been watching this game for 40 years I dont know why I expect consistency , you would think i would learn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote:
T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote: Ricky Stuart basically said in his weekly captain's run press conference that the two Coreys and Emre Guler are not yet match fit, as they missed the off season, but are being required by circumstances to put in big minutes.
My 15 year old gets himself up every morning at 4.30am to hit the gym, to be fit for rugby. I have issues that these guys can't get there.
Maybe Horsburgh and Guler coming back from injury has something to do with it?
If it were just them, I'd agree.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yes, this is true. I noted last week, at the 60 minute mark it was almost like a switch was flicked and nobody had any energy left.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Greedysmurf wrote: May 16, 2021, 4:44 am
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 9:07 pm I didnt see the Souths incident live, but i just watched it on replay
it is very similar, but the souths one hits the lower head, rather than straight in the face... and you cant divorce the action from the results. Woods was fine, where as the guy Papa hit was concussed, absolute skittled and ruled out

Should that impact decision making? Im not sure. But one of these events left a guy sprawled on the floor wondering what of the week it was, the other resulted in a guy fighting for extra yardage.
So because Woods has a better chin than Katoa, Papa deserves a send off, while S'ua only gets a ten minute sit down? I would argue that S'ua's hit was worse, technique-wise, he jumps up into Woods to hit his chin with his shoulder. Papa's point of contact was primarily a result of Katoa ducking just before contact. The onfield "result" is a terrible way to adjudicate the punishment.

Unfortunately for us and Papa. Yes.
And I suspect that’ll be reflected in the grading too
The end result of the foul play impacts the course of action the officials take

As for the rest, you can argue that if you like, I don’t agree
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just looking at the draw and ladder, we could actually be back in the top 8 after tonight...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: May 16, 2021, 8:27 am Just looking at the draw and ladder, we could actually be back in the top 8 after tonight...
It's an advantage of the top sides being well ahead. The bottom half of the 8 is within reach of most teams.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: May 16, 2021, 2:28 am
afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:28 pm This could be an unpopular opinion given he's been one of the better players in a **** team, but I reckon we looked better without Rapana today than without him
I think you have one to many withouts in that post but if you’re suggesting we put Rapa out to paddock I have to agree.
He tries his guts out and he's been a great Raider, with many highlights. But I think it showed what I've been saying- other wingers can make the yards he makes too, plus maybe have a higher upward trajectory rather than ever diminishing returns simply due to slowling pace and age.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: May 16, 2021, 11:02 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 16, 2021, 2:28 am
He tries his guts out and he's been a great Raider, with many highlights. But I think it showed what I've been saying- other wingers can make the yards he makes too, plus maybe have a higher upward trajectory rather than ever diminishing returns simply due to slowling pace and age.
Yeah that’s my take. I also think you need to be fairly ruthless with your wingers. It’s not like a halves market where the pickings are slim. Every year there are new wingers in the game that raise the bar to new heights. The quality of wingers is insane. Give Bailey and Semi a crack but if they aren’t where they need to be then roll the dice again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: May 16, 2021, 6:40 am Keep pickin Nami.

He plays, we win.
The theory will be heavily tested next week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: May 16, 2021, 12:55 am
afgtnk wrote: May 15, 2021, 10:55 pm
Botman wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:45 pm
twistedbydesign wrote: May 15, 2021, 5:35 pm Caleb Aekins is no world beater - and we clearly miss CNK in a number of facets - but he is a handy ball player and had some crucial touches. I would say our red zone attack is better with him in the lineup, even if we're significantly worse in other areas.
Been saying this for years now
The biggest problem with our red zone offence is the fullback ball playing problem
CNK comes straight back in when healthy, but the Aekins experience has shown our structure and shape can create tries if we have that ball playing fullback arrow in the quiver
The setup of our second last try is extremely impressive from IMO.

We spread the ball wide with some nice shape and depth.

George plays a very subtle hand by holding the ball just long enough to turn the third defender in, after which he releases a long sweep pass to Aekins' outside shoulder, which allows Aekins to run onto the ball at speed and away from the inside defenders.

Aekins then keeps the ball in two hands the whole way through, straightens his run and goes deep enough into the line to commit the second defender in. He gets axed as a result by the second defender in, but not before managing to get the pass away with soft hands to Scott, running the line in between the first and second defender in. Scott gets into clear air as a result of that work. Brilliant, textbook bit of ball playing really.

Unfortunately, I've seen what CNK too often does in those situations. It's one of:

a) Receives the ball on the angle, doesn't straighten his run, tries to go through himself, but doesn't have the speed. Ends up heading towards the sideline and getting tackled, having cramped the two players outside him

or

b) Passes to his outside before even attempting to go into the line (from the video, that's would be around the 15 metre mark). By doing that, it allows the second defender in to adjust his target, move onto Scott, who by then has a two on two situation, thus relying on the physical ability of either himself or Valemei to shrug of the defender/s to score, or rely on a mistake from the opposition winger to put Valemei over.

Chances of scoring there are significantly decreased, due to the cramped space, and the opposition fullback and other cover coming over to take him or Valemei.

So, to cut a long story short. Yes. We abso-****-lutely need someone to be able to play as a second receiver sweeping around the back. It's those exact kind of bread and butter tries you miss out on when you don't. That Charnze does not have in his locker what a fairly ordinary backup does, and has not been able to develop it in three seasons, HAS to be of high concern to the coach.
Clear as day wasn't it.

No one would argue Aekins is anything but a stock standard back up FB who is just about close to adequate at most things but not really FG standard at most things. But he's run more ball playing in 3 games than CNk has managed in 3 years. The ball dies with CNK on every play- poor bugger just can't let a pass go.

You can make a good team with CNk at FB but you really need ball playing half(ves) + a ball playing lock to play that way instead. Or you go for Dufty or Hynes.
Aekins isn’t even that good a ball player
He’s a 2-3 out of 10 in that area, but you can see immediately how much even that can allow you open up so many more options in the red zone

I’ve given up on CNK developing it. I really love and appreciate what CNK gives us a fullback. We’ve seen in this period how important that is, but we need to have the ball playing element imo
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 11:29 am

Aekins isn’t even that good a ball player
He’s a 2-3 out of 10 in that area, but you can see immediately how much even that can allow you open up so many more options in the red zone

I’ve given up on CNK developing it. I really love and appreciate what CNK gives us a fullback. We’ve seen in this period how important that is, but we need to have the ball playing element imo
That's kind of what I was getting at. Even a bloke no one would accuse of being better than "competent" at anything in FG adds a whole dimension.

I don't believe the club is actually scouting FBs though. Haven't heard a peep. Pretty sure RIcky will stick solid with CNK. Which is ok- IF we refresh the back 5 in other ways and go hard for a quality half. Or maybe RIcky is moving down the _Hodgo as ball playing lock for 40 mins a game route...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seb Kris delivers for Canberra Raiders in season that almost never was

Barely 18 months ago, Sebastian Kris was a Canberra courier driver. On Saturday Kris delivered again, only this time it was a match winning try for NRL club the Raiders.

"That was a gutsy win considering we were down two men at one stage," he said. "It was a big effort to come home with the win. We knew we had to get a win and then our confidence will come back. This win will without a doubt be a turning point for us."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/16/seb ... never-was/

Stuart fears 'a whole heap of send-offs' by Papa precedent: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/15/pap ... ap-streak/

'It's hard not to touch anyone's head or neck': Barrett baffled by bin blitz: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/15/its ... crackdown/

Returning hooker Josh Hodgson plays crucial role off bench in narrow Canberra Raiders win over Canterbury Bulldogs

The Raiders needed a steadying hand against Canterbury when star duo Jack Wighton and then Josh Papalii were marched from the field.

"That period where we lost a couple [of players], we scrambled really well and that's what wins you games, the efforts in those tough times. We just needed that win by any means possible.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Concerns NRL blitz could give other sports a leg up in code wars: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL crackdown spoils Raiders' stunning comeback victory: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

GALLERY: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/r ... ogs%202021

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -bulldogs/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

There is still massive improvement needed in our teams football iq. Just watching the tries from yesterday - the second bulldogs try. A blocker runs through the line and Hudson Young pauses to let him run through. He should be told to shuffle out and take the impact on his outside shoulder and go down. Then it's on the referees / bunker to make a call.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I reckon Hodgsons ball playing amd asking questions in the middle really helped open up a bit of space for our edges . I think we should persevere with him as a ball playing lock/first receiver
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Could be back in the 8 by the end of today’s games
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

9th
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson

Post by Scared Hitless »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: May 16, 2021, 3:59 pm 9th
Don't think Panthers can beat the Titans by 34?

Just wait until the Titans get a few binned for tackling the NRL's darlings too hard.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

It doesn't really matter if we are in the 8 by the end of the round or not. We are not winning our next 2 games the way we are playing. We struggled against the worst team in the comp for the last two years. They even outscored us in the second half.
We are unfit. Watching other games of footy this round, we tend to play a slow, laborious and unadventurous type of football that don't trouble defences. We have no clue on the 5th tackle. Even St George and NZ Warriors are better than us.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Hong Kong Raider wrote:It doesn't really matter if we are in the 8 by the end of the round or not. We are not winning our next 2 games the way we are playing. We struggled against the worst team in the comp for the last two years. They even outscored us in the second half.
We are unfit. Watching other games of footy this round, we tend to play a slow, laborious and unadventurous type of football that don't trouble defences. We have no clue on the 5th tackle. Even St George and NZ Warriors are better than us.
I know it doesn’t matter however if there is a top 8, you might as well be in it……
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I really hope we use the upcoming bye to work on our attacking and defensive structures. Jack will be our only SOO rep with Papa suspended (likely we won't roll the dice and fight). Some like Horse, CHN, Guler, James need to do more cardio and run laps of Lake Burley Griffin. Ricky should also hire a sprint coach in Roger Fabri for Scott, Simonsson, Rapana, Aekins, CNK, Croker, Kris - in fact all of the back 5.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 16, 2021, 7:30 pm I really hope we use the upcoming bye to work on our attacking and defensive structures. Jack will be our only SOO rep with Papa suspended (likely we won't roll the dice and fight). Some like Horse, CHN, Guler, James need to do more cardio and run laps of Lake Burley Griffin. Ricky should also hire a sprint coach in Roger Fabri for Scott, Simonsson, Rapana, Aekins, CNK, Croker, Kris - in fact all of the back 5.
He may as well search Amazon for a **** Polisher while he’s at it!
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Scared Hitless wrote: May 16, 2021, 4:51 pm
Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: May 16, 2021, 3:59 pm 9th
Don't think Panthers can beat the Titans by 34?

Just wait until the Titans get a few binned for tackling the NRL's darlings too hard.
Nah, it turned out one of the Titans just forgot to pack his brain in his game day bag. Might've been the dumbest play I've seen all weekend.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 16, 2021, 7:30 pm I really hope we use the upcoming bye to work on our attacking and defensive structures. Jack will be our only SOO rep with Papa suspended (likely we won't roll the dice and fight). Some like Horse, CHN, Guler, James need to do more cardio and run laps of Lake Burley Griffin. Ricky should also hire a sprint coach in Roger Fabri for Scott, Simonsson, Rapana, Aekins, CNK, Croker, Kris - in fact all of the back 5.
You can't coach speed by more than the barest smidge. It's a talent.

Btw the only positive results "sprint coach" Roger Fabri ever got for his clients was with WADA- been linked to a number of busts including Xerri and it begins to look like someone is often the common link...

If we want speed, play Savage in the back 5 next season + recruit that way. Hard.

The game isn't going back to defence *and toughness. EVERY new change and interpretation moves toward speed and entertainment. We got caught out this year with backward looking recruitment and selection and if we don't change it quick smart we'll waste next season too.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance

Post by Greedysmurf »

Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 7:52 am

You don't agree Su'a jumps into the contact with Woods, and Katoa ducked into his?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Greedysmurf wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:37 pm
Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 7:52 am

You don't agree Su'a jumps into the contact with Woods, and Katoa ducked into his?
I dont agree that Papa's contact was primarily a result of ducking into it. The player is bracing for contact, which saw him mimimally shrink the strike zone. Papalii was hitting him high, it was aimed high, it stayed high, it hit high. It was reckless and deserved a send off.
Re Su'a "jumping", its the same action as Papa's. They both condense their frame, and launch up with contact to he head. Its actually almost identical.

I'd have had no issues with S'ua being sent either, but the reality is you cant divorce the action from the result. I know we want to, i know logically it makes sense, the action is the action and the result of it is somewhat ramdomised, but when a guy is left on the turf with a brain injury vs the guy barely noticed the contact. It changes the response. It just does.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The chasm between the top five and the rest in this competition is enormous - honestly can't remember when the competition was so lopsided last. We'd have to be one of the worst teams ever to be inside the eight at this stage of a season.