2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Botman »

Not a huge fan of crosslands myself, but he's young and probably willing to come, maybe you kick the tyres on him, give him a 1 year deal and see if he come in here and win the job if we dont get an established player
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Admittedly I have probably seen Crossland but can't remember a thing about him.

What I would say is that we need a player who controls the game and makes other players look good... I know Williams and Frawley are that build but we need a more dominant and talented 7. Wighton really struggled with that weight on his shoulders, so if Crossland heavily relies on Clifford I can't see him and Wighton doing much damage next year.

O'Sullivan was becoming that type of player at the Warriors but is he much better than Frawley?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We made him look like a world beater in Wagga

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

deanoman wrote: September 9, 2021, 8:56 am
Canberra Milk wrote: September 9, 2021, 8:23 am
bonehead wrote: September 9, 2021, 7:50 am
deanoman wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on Phoenix Crossland from the knights. He’s off contract and read a news article saying he’s touted as the next Newcastle halfback.

I’ve never paid attention to him so wondering if anyone has an opinion on him?
look he goes ok, played a few nice games with Clifford as the dominant half.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I thought he looks reasonable too
He looks like he might be a good fit, originally from New Zealand and moved to Newcastle, so he’d be used a small town. He’s preferred position is Halfback and stuck behind Pearce atm. He’s also young being only 21.

I dare say this is why the knights are making Pearce available as they might not want to lose him.
They have bought 3 or 4 different halves the the past 3 yrs to play ahead of him. Pearce, Mann, Clifford and that goal kicking kiwi guy who's name escapes at the moment. I'd say that speaks volumes.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 9, 2021, 7:50 am
deanoman wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on Phoenix Crossland from the knights. He’s off contract and read a news article saying he’s touted as the next Newcastle halfback.

I’ve never paid attention to him so wondering if anyone has an opinion on him?
look he goes ok, played a few nice games with Clifford as the dominant half.

He looks like he might be a good fit, originally from New Zealand and moved to Newcastle, so he’d be used a small town. He’s preferred position is Halfback and stuck behind Pearce atm. He’s also young being only 21.

I dare say this is why the knights are making Pearce available as they might not want to lose him.
They have bought 3 or 4 different halves the the past 3 yrs to play ahead of him. Pearce, Mann, Clifford and that goal kicking kiwi guy who's name escapes at the moment. I'd say that speaks volumes.
Mason Lino

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: September 9, 2021, 5:41 pm
Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 9, 2021, 7:50 am look he goes ok, played a few nice games with Clifford as the dominant half.

Mason Lino

Thankyou. That's him
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

http://amp.triplem.com.au/story/ready-s ... ure-186248

Titans officially not offering Taylor a new deal.

I would be very surprised if he’s not in Canberra on a cut-price deal next season.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The quiet life of Canberra and a focus on football might be good for Ash Taylor.

If there’s no one else, then he’s the best of a bad bunch.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

honestly not too worried who we buy as long as we have a crack

Edrick The Entertainer
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

It’s a pretty well zero risk signing.

We have heaps of cap space for next season and there’s no one else. We offer him one year with another year or two in the clubs favour. If it works out then aces, if not then we’re back in the market for 2023 - which is where we are right now anyway.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

My dream halves partnership combo.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Timbo wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:30 pm It’s a pretty well zero risk signing.

We have heaps of cap space for next season and there’s no one else. We offer him one year with another year or two in the clubs favour. If it works out then aces, if not then we’re back in the market for 2023 - which is where we are right now anyway.
Exactly how I see it. I'd much rather sign Ash Taylor at $300k than Brooks at $600k+ or Brown at the rumoured $800k price tag. Ash Taylor was a skilful junior rep star at halfback - that's why there were clubs lining up to sign him at $800k to $1mil with next to no NRL game time under his belt. Brown has never been that level of supreme talent at halfback. I'd rather take a punt on the 26 year old guy who failed because he had way too much weight and expectation on his shoulders than a guy who hasn't really done anything in a good team despite having very little pressure or expectations (and you're paying more than double for somebody like Brown). Taylor will reap the benefits of not having to live up to a million dollar price tag combined with the change of scenery imo. And, as you said - even if he doesn't, it doesn't matter at all. Brown is a much higher risk for much lower reward.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

1992 wrote: September 13, 2021, 7:25 pm Image

If that's your dream halves combo then you must only have nightmares
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:16 pm

If the world of sarcasm has not come to you then... 🤪
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

1992 wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:45 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:16 pm

If the world of sarcasm has not come to you then... 🤪
No, I understand sarcasm. Just needed to mention that I'm still haunted by that halves pairing.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:12 pm
Timbo wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:30 pm It’s a pretty well zero risk signing.

Exactly how I see it. I'd much rather sign Ash Taylor at $300k than Brooks at $600k+ or Brown at the rumoured $800k price tag. Ash Taylor was a skilful junior rep star at halfback - that's why there were clubs lining up to sign him at $800k to $1mil with next to no NRL game time under his belt. Brown has never been that level of supreme talent at halfback. I'd rather take a punt on the 26 year old guy who failed because he had way too much weight and expectation on his shoulders than a guy who hasn't really done anything in a good team despite having very little pressure or expectations (and you're paying more than double for somebody like Brown). Taylor will reap the benefits of not having to live up to a million dollar price tag combined with the change of scenery imo. And, as you said - even if he doesn't, it doesn't matter at all. Brown is a much higher risk for much lower reward.
A lot of assumptions on why Taylor failed. The thing about Taylor is it's not as if his form completely dropped off a cliff as he was never at any great height. He was paid on potential and failed to deliver, similar to Brooks. I can only see Taylor being a stop gap - so given we should have cap space for 2022 to burn I'd be happy with 300k with an option for 23 and 24 at 400-450 in our favour. Even then I'd wait as late as possible to formalise it in case something else pops up.

We're also assuming Taylor wants to keep playing NRL. He really does look disinterested at times on the field. There's a realistic chance he's just happy to take the money he has made and get out of the limelight like Shannon Boyd.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree with Rog here
I dont think Ash Taylor is risk free

I dont think any of these guys are risk free, if they were risk free, even at their price, they wouldnt be **** available. :lol:
Ash Taylor has genuine disaster potential, and then where are you? Back here with Williams/Frawley... that's a bottom 6 finish.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Looks pretty good to me:

Looking at that, the main thing he's lost is his running game. I don't remember him being a running threat for some time, which is a problem, because you're easier to shut down. Still, much more highlights than Dylan Brown at half the price 😃
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:15 pm I agree with Rog here

I dont think any of these guys are risk free, if they were risk free, even at their price, they wouldnt be **** available. :lol:
Ash Taylor has genuine disaster potential, and then where are you? Back here with Williams/Frawley... that's a bottom 6 finish.
Which means we're no worse off than we started, hence risk free. The risk with Dylan Brown is that he's so expensive, won't want a 1 year deal, so he can and probably will stop us from buying others
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:22 pm Looks pretty good to me:

Looking at that, the main thing he's lost is his running game. I don't remember him being a running threat for some time, which is a problem, because you're easier to shut down. Still, much more highlights than Dylan Brown at half the price 😃
I'm definitely don't think Brown is the answer, but you'd hope a 26 year old has a better highlight reel than a 21 year old.

That said the Taylor highlight reel from 16/17 is up there with the Blale Austin reel from 15/16. Both a long time ago, however.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

So, where we are right now then?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:24 pm

Which means we're no worse off than we started, hence risk free. The risk with Dylan Brown is that he's so expensive, won't want a 1 year deal, so he can and probably will stop us from buying others
Completely agree with Brown. Huge risk, not remotely good enough imo for us, and nothing to suggest he can play #7 with Wighton.

Re Taylor: One year deal, cool. Very limited risk. Beyond that, he's simply not worth it imo.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:29 pm

So, where we are right now then?
Up ****'s creek with no paddle in sight. We have no ball playing in an era of NRL football that has aggressively moved towards heavy reliance on ball playing. We dont have it at the 6, the 7, once Hodgson goes, as flawed as he is, we wont have it at the 9 and the #1 is a "maybe he can do that, idk, idk"
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:05 pm

A lot of assumptions on why Taylor failed. The thing about Taylor is it's not as if his form completely dropped off a cliff as he was never at any great height. He was paid on potential and failed to deliver, similar to Brooks. I can only see Taylor being a stop gap - so given we should have cap space for 2022 to burn I'd be happy with 300k with an option for 23 and 24 at 400-450 in our favour. Even then I'd wait as late as possible to formalise it in case something else pops up.

We're also assuming Taylor wants to keep playing NRL. He really does look disinterested at times on the field. There's a realistic chance he's just happy to take the money he has made and get out of the limelight like Shannon Boyd.

I could be wrong but I believe his partner had at least two miscarriages a couple of years ago, before they've now had a baby. That might have messed with his head...
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Sorry guys, I would be going for Cade Cust from Manly. I think he has allot more upside than Taylor, Pearce and Brooks. I really believe he can develop into a really good organising half with a good running game. Thoughts? I am actually surprised we haven't signed him already as he can't get a run with Manly being behind Cherry Evans.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I thought the club dismissed any speculation they were considering Cust. However, there are quite a few options emerging. Pearce, Brooks, Taylor, CHT, Jock Madden, brown.

All have some risks, some have more upside then others. The reality is that signing one of these blokes on their own won't solve our problems. So the key is to not pay overs to ensure we have capacity to sign another quality player to fill any gaps that remain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

FROG wrote: September 14, 2021, 6:15 am I thought the club dismissed any speculation they were considering Cust. However, there are quite a few options emerging. Pearce, Brooks, Taylor, CHT, Jock Madden, brown.

All have some risks, some have more upside then others. The reality is that signing one of these blokes on their own won't solve our problems. So the key is to not pay overs to ensure we have capacity to sign another quality player to fill any gaps that remain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Apparently according to the club, Cade Cust is no better than Sam Williams
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

This is the order I’d be going in for the available halves on a 2 year deal for the apparent worth they are asking:

- Ash Taylor ($250-$350K)
- Chanel Harris-Tevita ($300-$400K)
- Mitch Pearce ($550-$650K)
- Dylan Brown ($600-$750)
- Cade Cust ($250-$350K)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Simple solution would be to punt Sammy Williams out of the top 30 and bring in both Cust and Taylor
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 14, 2021, 10:48 am Simple solution would be to punt Sammy Williams out of the top 30 and bring in both Cust and Taylor
Bingo.

Imagine having a 4 player squad of Jack, Schneider, Taylor, Cust. All pushing for position. Instead we will have Williams and Frawley adding absolutely no pressure or competition for spots.

Incidentally, in the second highlights reel above where Taylor is playing right side, I reckon CHN would enjoy playing off that short ball…
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Coastalraider wrote: September 14, 2021, 11:15 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 14, 2021, 10:48 am Simple solution would be to punt Sammy Williams out of the top 30 and bring in both Cust and Taylor
Bingo.

Imagine having a 4 player squad of Jack, Schneider, Taylor, Cust. All pushing for position. Instead we will have Williams and Frawley adding absolutely no pressure or competition for spots.

Incidentally, in the second highlights reel above where Taylor is playing right side, I reckon CHN would enjoy playing off that short ball…
CHN would wreck shop with Taylor on the right side... I find it weird that people would instantly dismiss this option at such a low price
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've liked the look of Cust, I'm surprised he hasn't played more first grade

Cust + Taylor and no Williams, I could live with that
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 14, 2021, 11:23 am I've liked the look of Cust, I'm surprised he hasn't played more first grade

Cust + Taylor and no Williams, I could live with that
It would be for 1-2 years max while we work out a longer term solution. And if one of them steps up to be the solution - great.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Whoa whoa whoa - you're forgetting that Sammy Williams is a top bloke that loves the Raiders. How dare you bring something like talent and competition for positions into an argument like this.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Timbo wrote: September 14, 2021, 1:12 pm
Whoa whoa whoa - you're forgetting that Sammy Williams is a top bloke that loves the Raiders. How dare you bring something like talent and competition for positions into an argument like this.
My apologies - I should have never suggested such a crazy idea regarding a man who bleeds so much green