Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Matt »

Im all for 2 new blokes pushing, rather than Sammy and/or frawlz
Green2ooF
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Meninga

Post by Green2ooF »

Thoughts on maybe Tyrone Peachy as a halfback? He has always played well against us
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Timbo wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:30 pm It’s a pretty well zero risk signing.

We have heaps of cap space for next season and there’s no one else. We offer him one year with another year or two in the clubs favour. If it works out then aces, if not then we’re back in the market for 2023 - which is where we are right now anyway.
Sure.... apart from the risk of playing him, sucking, and potentially derailing our season.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: September 14, 2021, 4:39 pm

We have heaps of cap space for next season and there’s no one else. We offer him one year with another year or two in the clubs favour. If it works out then aces, if not then we’re back in the market for 2023 - which is where we are right now anyway.
Sure.... apart from the risk of playing him, sucking, and potentially derailing our season.
That risk is nearly just as high for the other two who would each cost more than double...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Compared to Taylor?

Not even close. Ashley Taylor is **** garbage. Being cheaper doesn't make him a better proposition - especially when we've already got sufficient funds to allocate to the position.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: September 14, 2021, 4:54 pm Compared to Taylor?

Not even close. Ashley Taylor is **** garbage. Being cheaper doesn't make him a better proposition - especially when we've already got sufficient funds to allocate to the position.
But why would you spend double the funds or more for a player who is not nearly double the value in output? There are quality players coming available in a month and a half in other positions that would improve our squad significantly... that's where I think the money should be spent at a time when there are no halves on the market worth spending the money on. Paying $600-800k for trash would be going backwards. I honestly think we'd be much better off getting a gun second rower on the left side, and getting in somebody cheap like Taylor whose role would be restricted to kicking in play, putting CHN through gaps and kicking goals.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Ash Taylor has the biggest differential from cost to potential that I've seen for a while.

Will it work? Who knows - there's a fair chance it won't.

But if it does, you've cracked the cap. A top player for very little - like when the Roosters signed the Morris lads.

The other players in this thread will improve the team, but not by enough or for little enough cap space.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ash Taylor had 10 try assists and 10 line break assists (or 16 according to Fox Stats vs NRL stats)... not world beating stats, but they're much better than Dylan Brown's. You're right, it's not even close
Last edited by Canberra Milk on September 14, 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm interested what Mitchell Moses's stats were at Tigers before Parra bought him. Was that an example of being bought on potential rather than stats, like us with Dylan Brown? And it's generally been successful. I also recall Moses absolutely carving at times for Tigers though, so it may not be an apt comparison. Dylan Brown has never carved anything
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 14, 2021, 6:08 pm I'm interested what Mitchell Moses's stats were at Tigers before Parra bought him. Was that an example of being bought on potential rather than stats, like us with Dylan Brown? And it's generally been successful. I also recall Moses absolutely carving at times for Tigers though, so it may not be an apt comparison. Dylan Brown has never carved anything.
You can see the statistics here: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... ell-moses/

I'd say he had more than just potential.

Dylan Brown statistics for comparison: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premier ... lan-brown/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 14, 2021, 6:08 pm I'm interested what Mitchell Moses's stats were at Tigers before Parra bought him. Was that an example of being bought on potential rather than stats, like us with Dylan Brown? And it's generally been successful. I also recall Moses absolutely carving at times for Tigers though, so it may not be an apt comparison. Dylan Brown has never carved anything
I was never a Moses guy myself at the tigers, and i havent seen the stats but my eye test assessment has Brown a signficant downgrade on WT's Moses
Even as someone who was not a big fan (and still am not tbh, think he's a good player but a bit overrated) he had moments with the ball in hand, games where he took over and showed he had another level in terms of talent. I've seen nothing from Brown to suggest there is any next level... and that doesnt mean it's not there, i've been wrong plenty before and will be again, but i've not seen it from him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 14, 2021, 7:05 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: September 14, 2021, 6:08 pm I'm interested what Mitchell Moses's stats were at Tigers before Parra bought him. Was that an example of being bought on potential rather than stats, like us with Dylan Brown? And it's generally been successful. I also recall Moses absolutely carving at times for Tigers though, so it may not be an apt comparison. Dylan Brown has never carved anything
I was never a Moses guy myself at the tigers, and i havent seen the stats but my eye test assessment has Brown a signficant downgrade on WT's Moses

Even as someone who was not a big fan (and still am not tbh, think he's a good player but a bit overrated) he had moments with the ball in hand, games where he took over and showed he had another level in terms of talent. I've seen nothing from Brown to suggest there is any next level... and that doesnt mean it's not there, i've been wrong plenty before and will be again, but i've not seen it from him.
That's what the stats show too in my estimation. Not that stats are everything, but they're significant indicators.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Sign cust and Taylor and give them time, jack played most of the year as a centre or edge backrow anyway, get someone in on both sides that can run a set play ****..
And hopefully hodgo won't be stinking up the attack with crash balls if he leaves.
That will help a lot
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If Brown's price point was around $400-500k then it might be a different story but at $700k+ he is by far the least appealing option imo
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dylan Brown is an absolute passenger out there. I see zero potential, and have no idea why anyone in the rugby league world rates him. He does literally nothing. Luke Brooks leaves him for dead, and Brooks is white-hot trash. Other than having good defence, he offers nothing in the organising or attacking department.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Neeeegz wrote: September 14, 2021, 7:19 pm Sign cust and Taylor and give them time, jack played most of the year as a centre or edge backrow anyway, get someone in on both sides that can run a set play ****..
And hopefully hodgo won't be stinking up the attack with crash balls if he leaves.
That will help a lot
This is what I would do... sign both Taylor and Cust, punt Sammy Williams, let Hodgo take up a deal elsewhere, and use the extra dough to sign a gun second rower for the left edge so that we have options on both sides. Those moves would improve our attack immensely and our defence will improve as a result of that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: September 14, 2021, 7:23 pm Dylan Brown is an absolute passenger out there. I see zero potential, and have no idea why anyone in the rugby league world rates him. He does literally nothing. Luke Brooks leaves him for dead, and Brooks is white-hot trash. Other than having good defence, he offers nothing in the organising or attacking department.
I think my feelings on Luke Brooks are well established at this point, but i concur
I'd legitmately sooner give Luke Brooks 700k than Dylan Brown. Brooks has major, irredeemable flaws IMO, but he's also clearly got some strengths as an attacking footballer... Dylan Brown is defence and support play, that's it. That's all he's got in his bag.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

There’s a young bloke playing in the QCup for the Northern Pride named Tom Steadman. Good young player, an organiser that creates, nice stats and tough defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: September 14, 2021, 7:28 pm
Finchy wrote: September 14, 2021, 7:23 pm Dylan Brown is an absolute passenger out there. I see zero potential, and have no idea why anyone in the rugby league world rates him. He does literally nothing. Luke Brooks leaves him for dead, and Brooks is white-hot trash. Other than having good defence, he offers nothing in the organising or attacking department.
I think my feelings on Luke Brooks are well established at this point, but i concur
I'd legitmately sooner give Luke Brooks 700k than Dylan Brown. Brooks has major, irredeemable flaws IMO, but he's also clearly got some strengths as an attacking footballer... Dylan Brown is defence and support play, that's it. That's all he's got in his bag.
Gwilly offered defence, support play (arguably more alert, but not quite as rapid) and a short/medium kicking game...

I think Brown wants more than GWilly ( who upped the shizzle and left tho). Doesn't quite compute I agree.

We'll find out in November...
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Taylor is an absolute no brainer at the reported 250k price point.

Bring in a Cooper Cronk caliber mentor to work with him with what’s left over.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 14, 2021, 6:05 pm

Ash Taylor had 10 try assists and 10 line break assists (or 16 according to Fox Stats vs NRL stats)... not world beating stats, but they're much better than Dylan Brown's. You're right, it's not even close
I'm comparing Taylor to Pearce and Brooks. I don't know how Pearce numbers up comparatively, but Brooks wipes the floor with him.

Brown isn't a viable option to me, unless Wighton's moving somewhere and we're recruiting two halves - even then, the only thing really going for him at this point is the potential he showed a couple of seasons ago, and his young age.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 14, 2021, 5:17 pm

But why would you spend double the funds or more for a player who is not nearly double the value in output? There are quality players coming available in a month and a half in other positions that would improve our squad significantly... that's where I think the money should be spent at a time when there are no halves on the market worth spending the money on. Paying $600-800k for trash would be going backwards. I honestly think we'd be much better off getting a gun second rower on the left side, and getting in somebody cheap like Taylor whose role would be restricted to kicking in play, putting CHN through gaps and kicking goals.
Because we need someone of a specific quality to come into this team, not someone who may potentially be bang for buck. If that specific quality takes x amount of dollars, and we can realistically afford x amount of dollars, then we should be outlaying it.

A halfback's worth isn't only what they output themselves, it's what they also immeasurably unlock in others.
Last edited by afgtnk on September 14, 2021, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

afgtnk wrote: September 14, 2021, 4:39 pm

The alternate is that Sam Williams plays 24 first grade games. Which has the same effect.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Dusty wrote:There’s a young bloke playing in the QCup for the Northern Pride named Tom Steadman. Good young player, an organiser that creates, nice stats and tough defender.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dusty wrote: September 14, 2021, 8:15 pm
Dusty wrote:There’s a young bloke playing in the QCup for the Northern Pride named Tom Steadman. Good young player, an organiser that creates, nice stats and tough defender.

Looks good. To be honest, good squad building would have had someone like that in reserves to begin with, rather than Williams and Frawley who have already hit their potential. More inability by Ricky to accurately evaluate halves

I guess you could argue we've done that with Schneider but there doesn't seem to be much confidence around him, as a 7 at least
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

With all the flaws of the options that are being discussed surely Norman has to come into the conversation. I know he has had off field issues, but he does possess a pretty deft short kicking game and would complement jack well. I don't know if he'll sign with Ricky again, after sticky walked out on the eels after Norman had signed with them, but if we can keep him on the straight and narrow I think he'd be a good pick up

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: September 14, 2021, 8:27 pm With all the flaws of the options that are being discussed surely Norman has to come into the conversation. I know he has had off field issues, but he does possess a pretty deft short kicking game and would complement jack well. I don't know if he'll sign with Ricky again, after sticky walked out on the eels after Norman had signed with them, but if we can keep him on the straight and narrow I think he'd be a good pick up

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Just my opinion... but
Absolutely not. Norman is a concern off the park and on it... he **** sucks man. I think he plays out of position. Never had the skills to really be an NRL half. Should have been a fullback who failed into centre/wing.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

You watch. Lachlan Lewis has been released. He’s the one we’ll wind up with.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

If we end up with Lewis I’ll cry

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Lewis won’t get NRL registration for sometime.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We've done it, we've hit Corey Norman as a speculative option..

Packerup, it's over

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: September 14, 2021, 9:51 pm We've done it, we've hit Corey Norman as a speculative option..

Packerup, it's over

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
:roflmao
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

1. Norman
3. Dylan Brown
4. Wighton
6. Taylor
7. Brooks
9. Cust
13. Peachey

imo
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Norman is a flat out no.
Cust is an interesting one. He looked very promising in limited opportunities in 2019 or 2020 (?) but hasn't had much of a chance since. I believe he was behind Foran and Schuster in the pecking order so they tried to convert him into a 9. He seems to have lost any pace he had. And Lachlan Croker is keeping him out of the NRL, and also Lawton.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah, you don't cut loose a Curtis Scott to sign a Corey Norman. No more off-field dramas, under-performing culture-cancers thanks.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.