2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by LastRaider »

If we are losing Hodgson next year and Wighton is to remain at 6, we need a game managing half. We need to go big for Reynolds
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Milford back here would be a disaster i think... but it also does have the upside of immediately catapulting us back into the premiership picture... when you line up the options, it might be a hold your nose and take the plunge best option.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:32 am If we are losing Hodgson next year and Wighton is to remain at 6, we need a game managing half. We need to go big for Reynolds
Forget Reynolds. We're not in play for him.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

LastRaider wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:32 am If we are losing Hodgson next year and Wighton is to remain at 6, we need a game managing half. We need to go big for Reynolds
We’re not playing fantasy football. Reynolds makes zero sense for this side at the moment. He’s a very expensive band-aid.... he’s a good player but he doesn’t fix all the other glaring issues.

We can’t just blow loads over him because we’ve lost 5 in a row and he happens to be the only guy available at the moment. That’s exactly how you make expensive mistakes.

Someone else mentioned it above - let’s see a bit of planning out of the brains trust as to where this team is heading!

You could only sell me on Reynolds if you were promoting a young player to play alongside him, as you’re recouping some of that bloated contract as “development/mentorship/on field coaching”. Otherwise hard no - his fit with us is terrible
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:34 am Milford back here would be a disaster i think... but it also does have the upside of immediately catapulting us back into the premiership picture... when you line up the options, it might be a hold your nose and take the plunge best option.
How so do you reckon? Cultural fit? Or not being on the same page/fitting in with Rick’s style?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:39 am
Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:34 am Milford back here would be a disaster i think... but it also does have the upside of immediately catapulting us back into the premiership picture... when you line up the options, it might be a hold your nose and take the plunge best option.
How so do you reckon? Cultural fit? Or not being on the same page/fitting in with Rick’s style?
I think the damage is done. Sadly, i think he's spent too long in that **** show up north and I dont think he'll ever be the player he should have been.
I think if he is going to turn it around, ours might be his best bet... but i just think he's cooked from a confidence POV, athletically he doesnt seem the same, and he's had his creative juices coached out of him.

I think he'd be the same player he is up there. Which is not very good.
But i've been wrong before, and will be wrong many times again, and if the Raiders and Stuart think they can rejuvenate him, if he's open to coming back, and i think he would be... it might be the best upside play
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Culturally and fitting in with Rick, his fat, lazy **** is a wonderful fit. Plug and play right now :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:30 am
afgtnk wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:18 am I can feel us ending up with Brooks tbh.
I dont see it. I cant see Stuart tolerating his defence at all. Stuart relentlessly targets him every time we play... doesnt strike me as a fit for Stuart's mold

I actually think one of the more likely scenarios is Aiden Sezer coming back to the team
I definitely can - under the premise that Sticky thinks he's been stuck behind a **** pack for years who don't protect him well enough, and believes he/we can improve him.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:43 am
I think the damage is done. Sadly, i think he's spent too long in that **** show up north and I dont think he'll ever be the player he should have been.
I think if he is going to turn it around, ours might be his best bet... but i just think he's cooked from a confidence POV, athletically he doesnt seem the same, and he's had his creative juices coached out of him.

But i've been wrong before, and will be wrong many times again, and if the Raiders and Stuart think they can rejuvenate him, if he's open to coming back, and i think he would be... it might be the best upside play
Good point. Milf has always struggled with fitness, and our fitness department aren’t exactly covering themselves in glory at the moment.

Nothing appeals to a coach’s ego like a reclamation project. I can see Rick’s ego being a big part of a Milford pursuit. But there’s the rub - once here Rick is going to have to be big enough to allow Milford to play the natural footy that saw his star rise with us in the first place. That means tolerance for mistakes and departure from structure at times... can the Super Coach give up that kind of control?
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

How’s his dad going? Still sick?

Milford isn’t coming to Canberra, nor do we want him. When you go from earning $1mill per season to a fraction of that in a cold climate away from mummy and daddy, that is not the foundation to help a player return to their best.

He’s got older legs as well, only 27, but feels like he’s been in the NRL as long as Croker. The footwork, acceleration etc isn't the same.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:47 am
I dont see it. I cant see Stuart tolerating his defence at all. Stuart relentlessly targets him every time we play... doesnt strike me as a fit for Stuart's mold

I actually think one of the more likely scenarios is Aiden Sezer coming back to the team
I definitely can - under the premise that Sticky thinks he's been stuck behind a **** pack for years who don't protect him well enough, and believes he/we can improve him.
Yeah maybe and i guess at some point the club is going to realise George is going whether we have a replacement or not, and when the music stops and we need someone to fill the chair... if Luke Brooks is available... yeah i guess it could happen.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:56 am

Yeah maybe and i guess at some point the club is going to realise George is going whether we have a replacement or not, and when the music stops and we need someone to fill the chair... if Luke Brooks is available... yeah i guess it could happen.
I should add that my feeling is also based on the belief that the Tigers would be willing to pay some freight for two years to get him out by next season - something that would probably pique our interest, right or wrong.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

That's actually not a terrible point. Madge clearly wants Hastings/Douhei as his 2022 halves. If the Tigers were willing to pick up a chunk of his contract, he could be an upgrade on Sam Williams at a similar price.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that would help, but I’ve never been a big Brooks guy... him playing halfback for us... that would be an interesting fan experience for me :lol:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I guess at the end of the day, someone is running out round 1, 2022 in the number 7 jersey. If it came down to a choice of Sam Williams, Matt Frawley or Luke Brooks I actually think I'd want it to be Luke Brooks.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Timbo wrote: May 11, 2021, 12:04 pm That's actually not a terrible point. Madge clearly wants Hastings/Douhei as his 2022 halves. If the Tigers were willing to pick up a chunk of his contract, he could be an upgrade on Sam Williams at a similar price.
Lol he's definitely on a LOT more than Sam, so it'd be quite a steal if they paid us enough to get his salary down to around what Sam's ought to be.

He's reportedly on 900k, so if they chipped in 200-300 I can see the club showing some interest.
Last edited by afgtnk on May 11, 2021, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:34 am
Why?

Do you have inside info on the situation or is it just the standard “Reynolds wouldn’t want to come to Canberra” trope?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 11, 2021, 12:34 pm
Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:34 am
Why?

Do you have inside info on the situation or is it just the standard “Reynolds wouldn’t want to come to Canberra” trope?
He’s already deep in discussions elsewhere
One in Sydney where he doesn’t have to move at all, one in a more desirable location and they can pay as much and almost certainly more than we can

It’s not realistic, I don’t think we should be wasting time discussing options that are viable. He’s not coming to Canberra unless something very odd occurs with negotiations at both clubs he’s playing off each other right now, and there is little we can do to change that reality

No inside information, just common sense.
Last edited by Botman on May 11, 2021, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

if you're using that for a reason then you probably should look at Johnson, played well whenever he has been behind a half decent forward pack, the warriors were woeful up front in his latter years and as soon as he got behind a semi decent forward pack at cronulla he topped the league for try assists(didn't exactly have superstars outside him either) before getting injured

He's not my first choice but he's also a natural right side player, and is better defensively than Brooks. I'd rather him as a right side half compared to Brooks or Milford, i reckon he'd probably be cheaper too if you took the punt soon, his price will only go up soon though if he gets back to pre injury form
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

kiwi raider wrote: May 11, 2021, 12:47 pm

if you're using that for a reason then you probably should look at Johnson, played well whenever he has been behind a half decent forward pack, the warriors were woeful up front in his latter years and as soon as he got behind a semi decent forward pack at cronulla he topped the league for try assists(didn't exactly have superstars outside him either) before getting injured

He's not my first choice but he's also a natural right side player, and is better defensively than Brooks. I'd rather him as a right side half compared to Brooks or Milford, i reckon he'd probably be cheaper too if you took the punt soon, his price will only go up soon though if he gets back to pre injury form
Johnson's game is a lot about speed and agility, and even pre-achilles tendon last season he'd lost a lot. Personally I wouldn't be taking a big money punt on him now, considering he's had another long lay off and still hasn't come back.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

In the days Brooks looked like he had potential, he had a spine that at various stages included Tedesco, MOses, Benji and Wobbie. When they all left and were replaced by budget versions of them, he has struggled to run an entire team single handedly. Thats not super surprising, even DCE struggled without Turbo.

Slotting Brooks into a team that had Jack, Hpdgo/Starling and CNK, where he a role to play, not runt he entire show single handedly, he MAY actually show a little more of his early promise.

Not to mention any player that leaves that mental case of a tigers outfit is exceptionally likely to improve...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Player speculation is never something I like to indulge in...but there has been discussions around Brodie Croft. Was brought up in conjunction with Hodgo possibly leaving for the Horses...

Take it with a grain of salt.

The Bronco's are looking to add Hynes and are still in the hunt for Reynolds (although the Sharks are favoured and possibly even staying at Souths).
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

If hodgson the game manager stays, could a milford play actually work, where he doesnt have the pressure of leading the team?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

GreenMachine wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:30 am
zim wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:24 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:20 am Pearce and Milf are not the solution...deck chairs on the titanic...

Reynolds would only make sense if you thought we were a halfback away from winning the competition (which I don't believe when you observe the benchmark teams) so you are setting yourself up for long term cap pain...

Go the youth option and plan long term...would be nice to see if Ricky and Don can actually pull this off instead of tying us up in cap Hell...
I'm taking from this that you think Ricky is great at developing young halves? Because most of the chat on here tends to be that Sticky is actually terrible at it.
I don't think he is.
I think people over cook this notion that coaches 'develop' players.
For me, most natural playmakers are playmakers to begin with....the most 'development' a coach brings is around game management...
A good coach, teaches the team how to manage the game (when your up and down)....I don't put weight into Ricky or any other coach for that matter sinking time into personally developing players .
Find a young natural play maker and teach them how to manage the game....not easy but the Roosters are giving it a go.
Your opinion makes a lot more sense now and I agree with some of it. Most of the "destroyed" halves haven't gone on to do anything anywhere else but in the same era there's 3 good young halves and only 1 is a halfback. The rest come through at a much older age than Walker.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

afgtnk wrote: May 11, 2021, 1:14 pm
kiwi raider wrote: May 11, 2021, 12:47 pm

Johnson's game is a lot about speed and agility, and even pre-achilles tendon last season he'd lost a lot. Personally I wouldn't be taking a big money punt on him now, considering he's had another long lay off and still hasn't come back.
yea i get he has real some question marks definitely but would argue he has more going for him as a right side half compared to the likes of Brooks, Milford, Croft etc. if we took the punt on him (and it would be a punt) i could see some serious upside if he got back to full fitness.
besides speed and agility he does have a good passing game and his short kicking is pretty good also as evidenced by him topping the try assists stat and these aren't likely to desert him with age/injury.

He was 5th overall on the dally M leaderboard last year despite only playing 16 games..

he's also a goal kicker and with Williams leaving and croker seemingly struggling to make the side we are going to need someone that can kick goals
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

How does signing the pretty average Milford catapult us into the premiership picture? The bloke is a myth and his track record at the bronco's has proven it. Hard no for Milford for me, id rather go all out for Reynolds, with him in our side we have a game controlling half-back and a premiership winner.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

chris83 wrote: May 11, 2021, 2:27 pm
How does signing the pretty average Milford catapult us into the premiership picture? The bloke is a myth and his track record at the bronco's has proven it. Hard no for Milford for me, id rather go all out for Reynolds, with him in our side we have a game controlling half-back and a premiership winner.
I think you have misunderstood what i was saying.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 2:30 pm
Well I did too... it was a woefully articulated sentence.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: May 11, 2021, 2:36 pm
Fair. Let me rephrase

Milford would in all likelihood be a disaster for anyone signing him. He has not played any good, consistent footy in about 3 years now, and even at a reduced cost is probably going to be an overpaid player who doesn't help you get better as a team. I would estimate that outcome is a 98% probability

However, there is that small chance, that if you took a chance on him, that you could fix him and unlock the endless talent the guy has. He's still only 26 years old, he could conceivably have another 7 years of top class footy in him IF you can fix him. A fixed Anthony Milford playing in the halves for this footy team, would immediately put us back into the top 4 and competing for titles imo. I personally dont think he's fixable but i can see some team talking themselves into him and it might be ours.
Last edited by Botman on May 11, 2021, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: May 11, 2021, 2:36 pm
:lol:

Botman having a quid each way here, and in 12 months he’ll be bumping it.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on May 11, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'd pay $10 and a bottle of expired milk for Milford personally... and then stick him in reggies anyway.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im talking generally about how teams, and specifically our team might view Milford... my views are clear
as per below
and it's not an each way bet
Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:43 am

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I would take a gamble on Milford at fullback at a cheap price but he can't play in the halves alongside Wighton. The two of them have the same consistency issue with kicking and when they're out of form it's quite bad. I think I would be more frustrated watching those two play in the halves together than when we had Sam Williams and McCrone as our first choice halves.

Brooks is a no for me. Always thought he was overrated even when he was a highly rated rookie playing with Moses and Tedesco. He's probably a slightly better option than Sam Williams but it just wouldn't be worth it once you consider how much more money we'd need to pay him. Reynolds would be our best option if it didn't involve getting into a bidding war with other clubs. Johnson or Pearce would be alright for two years max at the right price but I'm not sold on that idea.

I think we should be gambling on a younger bloke. Melbourne have found a decent half in Hughes and he was a fullback who had been around for a few years. I haven't seen much of the rookie halves or younger guys play but is there anybody that has potential? They don't need to be on the level of Sam Walker... we just need somebody with a reliable kicking game who isn't a complete McCrone with the ball in hand.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

I too think we should look to the future. A big no to Pearce, Johnson and Milford.

I’d be interested to see how Brooks would perform in our team but if the $900000 price tag is correct, he’s not worth close to that.

I don’t know anything about Brad Schneider, can he tackle, kick well and organise a team? If so run with him and try to develop internally.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bigcheese wrote:I too think we should look to the future. A big no to Pearce, Johnson and Milford.

I’d be interested to see how Brooks would perform in our team but if the $900000 price tag is correct, he’s not worth close to that.

I don’t know anything about Brad Schneider, can he tackle, kick well and organise a team? If so run with him and try to develop internally.
he's likely enough

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer