All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Get back the Ten wrote: June 3, 2021, 1:58 pm
Neeeegz wrote:Given that wighton can't organise jack **** about half of that halves list is ruled out as they can't either.
Hodgson to half or maybe widdop, sams not up to it, he's had plenty of time to cement a spot and is not good enough for long periods.
And hope Schneider develops
Lachlan Lewis was a Canberra junior He has had some good games why not bring him back home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We could list the reasons but GE would probably keel over at the thought of running his fine tooth comb over the post.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Lachlan Lewis is not good enough to gain the halfback spit for the worst team in the comp that has the worst halves in the comp.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

No one suggested Lewis.
Not one person
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Neeeegz wrote: June 3, 2021, 6:09 pm No one suggested Lewis.
Not one person
Get back the Ten wrote: June 3, 2021, 1:58 pm
Neeeegz wrote:Given that wighton can't organise jack **** about half of that halves list is ruled out as they can't either.
Hodgson to half or maybe widdop, sams not up to it, he's had plenty of time to cement a spot and is not good enough for long periods.
And hope Schneider develops
Lachlan Lewis was a Canberra junior He has had some good games why not bring him back home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Neeeegz wrote:No one suggested Lewis.
Not one person
Reading not your strong suit?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Dylan Brown should be our target for sure. Not available next year but nabbing him a year early in 2023 could be possible if/when the Eels are feeling the Salary Cap pinch.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

-TW- wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:57 pm
Neeeegz wrote:No one suggested Lewis.
Not one person
Reading not your strong suit?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Just don't pay attention to stupid **** I guess
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I wonder what people think of the idea of bringing Sezer home.

We know he can do a job for us, he was part of our GF team after all. I don't think he really wanted to leave. If we are looking for a stop-gap half, I think we can do much worse than consider bringing him home.

Especially if the only alternative is that overrated hack Luke ****ing Brooks.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Brooks is twice the player Sezer is. Not even close. Plus, Stuart got rid of Sezer for a reason - he wasn't doing the job.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:Image

Brooks is twice the player Sezer is. Not even close. Plus, Stuart got rid of Sezer for a reason - he wasn't doing the job.
I don’t want to bring Sezer back, but to say Brooks is twice the player Sezer is slightly far fetched. Sezer was a good defender but very boring in attack. Brooks defensive positioning and reads are regularly poor and his attacking highlights are punctuated by going missing for long periods.

They’re two halfbacks who’ve consistently sat outside the top 8 halves in the Comp.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brooks isn’t twice the player of anyone who’s paid to play professionally :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

BJ wrote: June 5, 2021, 11:25 am
afgtnk wrote:Image

I don’t want to bring Sezer back, but to say Brooks is twice the player Sezer is slightly far fetched. Sezer was a good defender but very boring in attack. Brooks defensive positioning and reads are regularly poor and his attacking highlights are punctuated by going missing for long periods.

They’re two halfbacks who’ve consistently sat outside the top 8 halves in the Comp.
The only thing Sezer's better at than Brooks is defence - and even then as I've said, Brooks has improved a lot. Sezer's also nowhere near what people rate him defensively. Reckon I barely saw him make a tackle that wasn't up high, looking only to contain the ball carrier. His best trait there is the ability to find help and not to find himself isolated often - would consistently be around the lowest tackle and 1 on 1 counts for a half.

Every other aspect of the game, Brooks has it over him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just to confirm. We're talking about Luke Brooks who's played halfback for Tigers this past 8 years?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah we're talking about the Luke Brooks who's currently *check notes*

3rd in try assists
1st in run metres
4th in line breaks
3rd in tackle breaks
3rd in effective offloads
7th in kick metres
2nd in forced dropouts
1st in general play passes
1st in attacking kicks

Amongst regular halfbacks. That guy, paying the price for being in a bum team for ages.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pulling up some favourable stats overlooks the total garbage he's served up for the majority of his career.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm Pulling up some favourable stats overlooks the total garbage he's served up for the majority of his career.
Exactly. He has only had 3 good seasons out of 8 - his first full year (2014), 2018 when he was Dally M Halfback of the Year, and arguably this year. Same as Ricky's finals record of 3 in 8. So based on the above, his contract expires before he delivers at least a pass mark. Even this year, Tigers fans like Baldy have been calling him to be sold or dropped. He is rubbish and the club would go backwards signing him. I have not seen him deliver against the big teams; his stats must be boosted against teams like Canterbury, Brisbane, etc. like scoring centuries against lower teams but ducks against the world's best bowlers.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 12:23 pm Just to confirm. We're talking about Luke Brooks who's played halfback for Tigers this past 8 years?
Yep. Around an absolute shower of ****. Saw nothing from Sezer in his time with us to suggest he'd have guided any of those tigers teams in to the 8
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

No one is saying Brooks is a world beater. But at worst he's a competent 1st grade halfback. Anyone that thinks we're going well enough or are in a position to knock him back is kidding themselves.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm Pulling up some favourable stats overlooks the total garbage he's served up for the majority of his career.
Exactly. He has only had 3 good seasons out of 8 - his first full year (2014), 2018 when he was Dally M Halfback of the Year, and arguably this year. Same as Ricky's finals record of 3 in 8. So based on the above, his contract expires before he delivers at least a pass mark. Even this year, Tigers fans like Baldy have been calling him to be sold or dropped. He is rubbish and the club would go backwards signing him. I have not seen him deliver against the big teams; his stats must be boosted against teams like Canterbury, Brisbane, etc. like scoring centuries against lower teams but ducks against the world's best bowlers.
Playing in a pus team and with a powderpuff would have a lot to do with that.

I think there are too many people unable to remove the abilities of a player and the overall quality of the team when judging said player. That the Tigers were and are bad does not make Brooks so, even if he is the halfback. He's one player.

I'm very confident he has enough to be a good halfback for us, based on how he's developed and his attributes. Very.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 5, 2021, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Hazza wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:13 pm No one is saying Brooks is a world beater. But at worst he's a competent 1st grade halfback. Anyone that thinks we're going well enough or are in a position to knock him back is kidding themselves.
That's sad. What a joke of a club that we have become.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Not sure what 'favourable' stats are. That's a pretty comprehensive list that he's doing well in for a halfback, mostly keeping company with Cleary mainly above him.

He hasn't served up total garbage for the majority of his career either. He's been overrated, given the kind of wraps that he came with, but he's been far from garbage. Seems too many people have just been listening to the noise, without watching him close.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 5, 2021, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:15 pm
Hazza wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:13 pm No one is saying Brooks is a world beater. But at worst he's a competent 1st grade halfback. Anyone that thinks we're going well enough or are in a position to knock him back is kidding themselves.
That's sad. What a joke of a club that we have become.
haha it is. Is it wrong though?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If Luke Brooks is the answer we should seriously consider changing the question.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Perhaps you could explain why exactly Brooks wouldn't fit the bill, instead of throwing lazy tropes like Tigers have never made a finals series with him so he must be terrible, or claiming that he's 'garbage' without giving any detail?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

afgtnk wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:22 pm Perhaps you could explain why exactly Brooks wouldn't fit the bill, instead of throwing lazy tropes like Tigers have never made a finals series with him so he must be terrible, or claiming that he's 'garbage' without giving any detail?
Can't tackle, can't kick, can't pass, can't run, can't catch, can't play.

He's ****
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

We’re in no position to be fussy about anybody…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

sprintman wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:39 pm We’re in no position to be fussy about anybody…
Probably Johnson and Dufty will knock us back. Probably Milford, Ferguson, and Dugan would too. Even Townsend rejected us. Canberra Tax is like one of Biden's proposed tax hikes. I don't even know if Brooks is on the market.

I recall that depressing year when Teddy flipped, and JWH and Mansour toured our facilities - Mansour rejected us and JWH didn't even reply to our offer as he had no intention of coming but just to boost his negotiations with Roosters.

We only get Poms, old fellows (Ryan James, Sia from the UK), dropouts from other clubs (CHN, Joey, Scott to some degree), and not established first graders (Scott, CNK, Oldfield, Hingano, Aekins, Abbey - last four were back ups)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

afgtnk wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:18 pm
Not sure what 'favourable' stats are. That's a pretty comprehensive list that he's doing well in for a halfback, mostly keeping company with Cleary mainly above him.

He hasn't served up total garbage for the majority of his career either. He's been overrated, given the kind of wraps that he came with, but he's been far from garbage. Seems too many people have just been listening to the noise, without watching him close.
I do watch him carefully in the games that I've seen this year. He was **** against us and Cowboys, not that good against Roosters but made some line breaks and ran the ball (defence against Stili T a problem), good in the magic round match and OK against Souths when they should have won. Overall very inconsistent this year and in this whole career. I did point out he's had some good years. To be fair to you, he has improved his running game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

sprintman wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:39 pm We’re in no position to be fussy about anybody…
Fussy is what we should be. Signing the wrong halfback is worse than signing none.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: June 5, 2021, 12:31 pm Yeah we're talking about the Luke Brooks who's currently *check notes*

3rd in try assists
1st in run metres
4th in line breaks
3rd in tackle breaks
3rd in effective offloads
7th in kick metres
2nd in forced dropouts
1st in general play passes
1st in attacking kicks

Amongst regular halfbacks. That guy, paying the price for being in a bum team for ages.
Tried pointing that out. Most people judged him 5 years ago when he was a 21-22 year old half. Creates a cognitive dissonance to try and fit new information in that contradicts the old.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:59 pm
Fussy is what we should be. Signing the wrong halfback is worse than signing none.
You’re not getting this..
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Case and point, Mitchell Moses. Looked trash at Tigers, give or take a flash play. But at Eels has been a top halfback in a top side.

Give Brooks better pieces, he is probably a better/ more consistent player.

I still believe he is the best option left on the table atm. Yes, better than SJ as a "total package".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

sprintman wrote: June 5, 2021, 2:24 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 1:59 pm
You’re not getting this..
Certainly not buying into a thought process that says we sign whoever is available and willing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 5, 2021, 3:14 pm

Case and point, Mitchell Moses. Looked trash at Tigers, give or take a flash play. But at Eels has been a top halfback in a top side.

I still believe he is the best option left on the table atm. Yes, better than SJ as a "total package".
Popular theory at the time was that Moses was the one inhibiting Brooks.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 3:21 pm
Matt wrote: June 5, 2021, 3:14 pm

Popular theory at the time was that Moses was the one inhibiting Brooks.
It was. Brooks was poor last yr, as were the Tigers. This yr he has been 1 of, if not, their best.