Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:30 am
Matt wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:00 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 12, 2021, 9:39 am Deardon signed with the Cowboys.
G Williams 100% won't be here next season...
The two candidates I think the club will try to snare are Croft or Fogerty...
Both are underwhelming.
I'd rather we develop our youth option and invest more in the 1 to 5 positions.
Fog is a good game manager, kicker and goal kicker. Id take him. But pretty sure Titans love him and re-signed him
He's exactly the kind of mid range option you could successfully pair with Wighton. But as you say they're not letting their captain go.
I think he is contracted to 2022...
Which means he can listen to offers from Nov 2021...
Agitate for early release if he likes what Ricky has to offer him...
Good kicking game and can organise a team...mid range is exactly how I'd describe him ..
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Haven’t seen Fogarty play too many bad games... he’s one of those late bloomer types that will probably never get him the recognition or wraps he deserves. I’d be ok with offering slight overs on a nice 3 year deal, to give some stability to our halves pairing over that period.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:39 am
SJ - Mid 30s, always busted, we sniffed around him before GWilly. Id probably prefer him over Benji, but really IMO, he is a 1yr deal stop gap guy to help bring a Schnieder, and thats it. I cant see him taking that.

By mid 30's do you mean he's in the middle of being 30-31 years old?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: May 14, 2021, 11:45 am
Matt wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:39 am
SJ - Mid 30s, always busted, we sniffed around him before GWilly. Id probably prefer him over Benji, but really IMO, he is a 1yr deal stop gap guy to help bring a Schnieder, and thats it. I cant see him taking that.

By mid 30's do you mean he's in the middle of being 30-31 years old?
Hmmm... I was thinking 33. But still
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:43 am
zim wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:30 am
Matt wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:00 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 12, 2021, 9:39 am Deardon signed with the Cowboys.
G Williams 100% won't be here next season...
The two candidates I think the club will try to snare are Croft or Fogerty...
Both are underwhelming.
I'd rather we develop our youth option and invest more in the 1 to 5 positions.
Fog is a good game manager, kicker and goal kicker. Id take him. But pretty sure Titans love him and re-signed him
He's exactly the kind of mid range option you could successfully pair with Wighton. But as you say they're not letting their captain go.
I think he is contracted to 2022...
Which means he can listen to offers from Nov 2021...
Agitate for early release if he likes what Ricky has to offer him...
Good kicking game and can organise a team...mid range is exactly how I'd describe him ..
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Rickmando wrote: May 14, 2021, 11:40 am Haven’t seen Fogarty play too many bad games... he’s one of those late bloomer types that will probably never get him the recognition or wraps he deserves. I’d be ok with offering slight overs on a nice 3 year deal, to give some stability to our halves pairing over that period.
Chad got ARey money.... or ARey got Chad money?!?
Anyway, Id pay close to that for Fog.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fogerty is a perfectly cromulent halfback option if you're wanting to be able to compete and make the finals but not really trying to win a premiership
Which to be perfectly frank, might be where this era of Raiders football is headed
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I for one vote that we keep Matt away from any recruitment please.

I'd rather Marc Herbert come back from the dead than the likes of Moses Mbye or Cooper Johns.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Fogerty is a perfectly cromulent halfback option if you're wanting to be able to compete and make the finals but not really trying to win a premiership
Which to be perfectly frank, might be where this era of Raiders football is headed
Fogerty would probably jump at the chance to. Just remind him by joining us, he’ll never play against Papa again
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:36 pm Fogerty is a perfectly cromulent halfback option if you're wanting to be able to compete and make the finals but not really trying to win a premiership
Yeah...we should sign Nathan Cleary or Luke Keary...right?

Cronulla won the comp with Chad Townsend....

You don’t need the best halfback if your supporting cast is strong...and that is where Ricky and recruitment should be focusing because stellar half backs aren’t in abundance...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:42 pm
Botman wrote:Fogerty is a perfectly cromulent halfback option if you're wanting to be able to compete and make the finals but not really trying to win a premiership
Fogerty would probably jump at the chance to. Just remind him by joining us, he’ll never play against Papa again
:roflmao
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:41 pm I for one vote that we keep Matt away from any recruitment please.

I'd rather Marc Herbert come back from the dead than the likes of Moses Mbye or Cooper Johns.
Hold the phone... I said I want to put Mbye in the no go zone (which is no different to Botman's 'Milf would likely be a train wreck, but...'). But have a look at the options. 95+% are trash. You need bodies, and of the options he isnt as horrible as most.

Pray tell what you dislike about Johns.

And give me your option
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I violently disagree with going cheap at half from a team-building perspective.

But if Rick can’t find someone marquee to come down and bleed green, stick solid, stick together, and dodge outdoor furniture kicked at them (and to add, he’s just blown his chance to recruit outside of the box from the netball ranks).... then I wouldn’t hate Sean O’Sullivan at the price point
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Matt wrote: May 14, 2021, 1:23 pm
afgtnk wrote: May 14, 2021, 12:41 pm I for one vote that we keep Matt away from any recruitment please.

Hold the phone... I said I want to put Mbye in the no go zone (which is no different to Botman's 'Milf would likely be a train wreck, but...'). But have a look at the options. 95+% are trash. You need bodies, and of the options he isnt as horrible as most.

Pray tell what you dislike about Johns.

And give me your option
Sam Williams alone is a far, far better option than both those guys.

That should tell someone enough about them.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I wouldn't have thought Cooper Johns has played enough games to make the call that Sam Williams would be a better option at halfback... but I haven't seen him play either. Of the available options, I don't think it would be the worst idea to punt on somebody like him or Tanah Boyd. We need to bring somebody in if George Williams is gone and the other options are grim. Fogarty is probably the best option of established halves.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

matty johns would never let sticky coach his son

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Wont there be a half back at Easts available soon? Either Lam or Walker?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

rayden83 wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:48 pm Wont there be a half back at Easts available soon? Either Lam or Walker?
Walker just re-signed and Lam, probably sucks?
But maybe he doesn’t?

There is a lot of bad options. None floated here are particularly good, or likely to succeed imo. Lam is firmly in that group to me, but at least he’s got some hope of youthful upside
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

There’s a lot of people forgetting that the last time Sam Williams played first grade for any length of time was 2 years ago, and got pushed out of the squad very quickly once Aiden Sezer was fit.

He is not the answer to this question.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2022 New halfback?

Post by gangrenous »

People aren’t forgetting that he played 10 games in 2019 and we made the GF. So I would prefer to rely on Sam as a stop gap if needed than jump into a huge contract with someone who may be an Orford and screw our cap making us cellar dwellers for 3 years.

Either you go for a half you’re happy has a good chance of being a success, or you Sammy up while you sort one who is.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2021, 9:17 pm
rayden83 wrote: May 14, 2021, 8:48 pm Wont there be a half back at Easts available soon? Either Lam or Walker?
Walker just re-signed and Lam, probably sucks?
But maybe he doesn’t?

There is a lot of bad options. None floated here are particularly good, or likely to succeed imo. Lam is firmly in that group to me, but at least he’s got some hope of youthful upside
100%
The vast majority are trash, so it's about finding the least trashy, or picking youth with upside
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Is anyone concerned about the complete lack of decent quality halves coming through? I mean, there's the Cleary's and Walker's as an exception, but these are few and far between. None of the other positions appear to be affected too badly, plenty of decent forwards, outside backs, hookers coming through. What is it with the dearth of halves?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:41 pm Is anyone concerned about the complete lack of decent quality halves coming through? I mean, there's the Cleary's and Walker's as an exception, but these are few and far between. None of the other positions appear to be affected too badly, plenty of decent forwards, outside backs, hookers coming through. What is it with the dearth of halves?
Rick mustn’t be the only DoH out there!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Finchy wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:41 pm Is anyone concerned about the complete lack of decent quality halves coming through? I mean, there's the Cleary's and Walker's as an exception, but these are few and far between. None of the other positions appear to be affected too badly, plenty of decent forwards, outside backs, hookers coming through. What is it with the dearth of halves?
Seems that way. There's the odd exception with the norm being a fairly ordinary half. Used to be the star players of the team. That torch appears to have been passed to the fullbacks.

Do we look at other teams cast offs or stick with our own development half in Schneider? We signed him as a schoolboy 2 years ago. That investment should be nearing a point of maturity.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

We've struggled for quality halves ourselves for years. Other than Todd Carney and a 2008-2010 Campo, we've struggled to develop any decent halves. Herbert, Dobson, Cornish, S.Williams, etc were all supposed to be "the next big thing". Whilst some still had somewhat respectable careers, some with other clubs, some overseas, etc, they never really got above "average" or even below average status, IMO.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:08 am People aren’t forgetting that he played 10 games in 2019 and we made the GF. So I would prefer to rely on Sam as a stop gap if needed than jump into a huge contract with someone who may be an Orford and screw our cap making us cellar dwellers for 3 years.

Either you go for a half you’re happy has a good chance of being a success, or you Sammy up while you sort one who is.
This, also Sammy is a good organiser he will go fine with wighton..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

papabear wrote: May 15, 2021, 2:25 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 15, 2021, 8:08 am People aren’t forgetting that he played 10 games in 2019 and we made the GF. So I would prefer to rely on Sam as a stop gap if needed than jump into a huge contract with someone who may be an Orford and screw our cap making us cellar dwellers for 3 years.

This, also Sammy is a good organiser he will go fine with wighton..
That's it really. Any option we consider we ask a simple question. Are they better than Sam Williams. Most suggestions on here are not.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Another thought - whoever we sign, I hope they can kick goals.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I reckon If George leaves next year we spend money on a strike centre, play hodgo at half, and then look to throw the bank at either Brimson or CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA for 2023
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

we could sign a new 5/8 and move Jack to lock. Mobile, great hitter in defence, got a decent pass, can run or pass or even kick - what's not to like in the new game?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

FROG wrote: May 15, 2021, 11:19 pm I reckon If George leaves next year we spend money on a strike centre, play hodgo at half, and then look to throw the bank at either Brimson or CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA for 2023
Spending money in the centres is exactly what every good team is declining to do. That would be a disaster.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Hodgson at half, even with some lateral movement issues - is at least as good an option as anything people are throwing around here. Better game manager, organiser, and footballer. Why would you shop around for less than he will offer?

IMO out of all the other names mentioned - I think Flanagan has the most potential upside. Still 22 and filling out physically. Doesn't mind contact. Roosters won plenty of games with him at half (and despite the prevailing opinion now, most saw his demotion as a complete surprise at the time. For a guy in his first year of 1st grade he was going ok, albeit at a very good club). Get him in with the dogs paying some $ and bring him through under Hodgson maybe.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

What about Jakob Arthur I know he's only young still but he's pretty big for a half and will likely be stuck behind Moses and Brown 4 a while.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BigPapa wrote:What about Jakob Arthur I know he's only young still but he's pretty big for a half and will likely be stuck behind Moses and Brown 4 a while.
He'll stay with daddy, I don't like Moses but he's improved dramatically and I'd be having a crack at him

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Maybe a lot of the smaller blokes playing these roles in juniors got crunched and walked out of the game...?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.