NRL gives Ricky Stuart a warning over press conference

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: NRL gives Ricky Stuart a warning over press conference

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Sure... pile on negative responses about the female person in the room. :doubt: It was pretty clear, given the events of the week... or last two weeks... what was being referred to. I didn’t take it the way cat did, but there is absolutely no need to attack cat for expressing her view on it. And perhaps cat has a perspective you didn’t think about.
Yep, I’m with GE on this one, back off guys. Doesn’t matter how you meant the comment to be taken or if cat took it the wrong way, the simple response is “sorry, I didn’t mean it that way, didn’t mean any offence” rather than carrying on like ****.

And just FTR, as soon as I saw the comment I thought of Jack De Belin, so it’s not entirely unfair to see how cat perceived it this way.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: May 13, 2021, 6:33 am No need to be so defensive guys.

All it needed was a:
“I absolutely intended no link with the current trials, my joke was general in nature. I can see though that given recent high profile trials in the sport that people could link my joke to those, it was not one I even considered in writing my post.” Could even go all the way and apologise.

It’s not just about the girls in the case seeing the comment and being offended. It’s about a huge percentage of women who have experience with sexual abuse they don’t expect to have justice for being reminded of that and thinking that people in their community are ridiculing the victims of it.
Sorry, but if I’m being accused of intentionally disrespecting female victims of sexual assault, including them in my childish jokes, and being on-par with what Tony Williams said, I’m going to defend myself. I did nothing of the sort. I mentioned nobody, let alone any females. It was a stab at the NRL judiciary about Ricky swearing, nothing to do with the Hayne or De Belin cases. If people assumed (wrongly) that I was referring to them, ask the question or send me a PM. Don’t accuse me of doing something that’s all in your head, then be critical of me defending myself. How a reference to a retrial is “ridiculing victims” I’ll never know.

I apologise if anyone was offended by the joke. It was made for “childish” comedic purposes only, and any perceived reference to actual persons living or dead or actual trials past or present, is purely coincidental.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Finchy if you can't see how people would be offended by your post and see it as a joke about the Debelin case you need to have a real think about it.

As I said that poor girl has to give evidence and be cross examined a 3rd time.
Hung juries are never something to joke about
The pain a re trial causes for the victim and in some cases the accused is not to be laughed about

The nrl doesnt even have juries so your reference doesn't even make sense
Vaccinated
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

cat wrote: May 13, 2021, 1:19 pm Finchy if you can't see how people would be offended by your post and see it as a joke about the Debelin case you need to have a real think about it.

As I said that poor girl has to give evidence and be cross examined a 3rd time.
Hung juries are never something to joke about
The pain a re trial causes for the victim and in some cases the accused is not to be laughed about

The nrl doesnt even have juries so your reference doesn't even make sense
That “poor girl” may well be a liar, hence why two juries have been unable to find anyone guilty of anything. In which case, poor Jack losing 3 years of his career and lots of money if he’s been falsely accused. But I’m not taking sides.

I won’t be dictated to what can and can’t be joked about. I’m not laughing about paedophilia or rape or something, it’s a stab at a fictional NRL judiciary, which as you said, doesn’t exist, hence why it’s a joke (ie: not real). If you don’t find it funny, scroll on. If you think I was being intentionally disrespectful, ask the question or send me a PM to clarify. You can interpret my meaning any way you want, but don’t assert that I did or said something that simply isn’t true.

Billy referenced only 10 out of 12 finding Ricky guilty, so the matter could drag on. No outrage there. But as soon as I mentioned the widely accepted term “hung jury” in relation to his comment, I’m the offensive one laughing at and disrespecting females akin to Tony Williams. Then when I defend myself to say I did nothing of the sort, the attitude is “hey don’t attack Cat, just apologise for offending people.” Please. The holier than thou attitude from people like gangers and Nickman, who I’m sure have either intentionally or unintentionally offended someone on this forum or argued with people interpreting things different ways is laughable. The hypocrisy is strong on this forum.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: May 13, 2021, 1:54 pm That “poor girl” may well be a liar, hence why two juries have been unable to find anyone guilty of anything. In which case, poor Jack losing 3 years of his career and lots of money if he’s been falsely accused. But I’m not taking sides.
Should've given up while you were ahead with the "I didn't mean anything" line of defence.

This is just disgraceful and disgusting now. Absolutely zero benefit of the doubt given any more.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I work in the legal system and even volunteer my time at a community legal centre.

I am also an advocate for reform in the justice system as I think it has and does massively fail women in matters of violent crime.

But I also just cannot believe this thread and can't believe that I have been accused of being part of a "pile on".

Whilst I was aware Hayne has been convicted and De Bellin was in a trial at present, I was only aware that Hayne/De Bellin experienced a "hung jury" (don't shoot me) after checking today after this furore.

The term is a feature/operational function of our court system. It is not a euphemism or proxy for something offensive. I cannot believe people are being crucified and forced to apologise over something as tenuous as this.

Anyone has the prerogative to get offended over whatever they wish, at any time. But that doesn't mean the "offender" has necessarily done anything wrong.
Up The Milk
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

This place is ridiculous. I want the 10 minutes back that I’ve just spent reading this thread trying to see what the issue is! The stretching to attempt to associate two totally different events, and then the resultant conversation in some ways typifies a lot of the threads here.

People are seemingly always trying to find arguments when there aren’t any, and accusing other people of representing things that they clearly aren’t. That’s the GH in a nutshell!

Heaven forbid anyone expresses that our unfit forward pack look “gassed” in the second half on the weekend... in case somebody wants to link that to an awful event 75 years ago and be outraged by it
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: May 13, 2021, 2:18 pm
Finchy wrote: May 13, 2021, 1:54 pm That “poor girl” may well be a liar, hence why two juries have been unable to find anyone guilty of anything. In which case, poor Jack losing 3 years of his career and lots of money if he’s been falsely accused. But I’m not taking sides.
Should've given up while you were ahead with the "I didn't mean anything" line of defence.

This is just disgraceful and disgusting now. Absolutely zero benefit of the doubt given any more.
Please, two separate issues. My joke wasn’t a reference to Jack De Belin, Cat brought that case into this argument.

You may find it “disgraceful and disgusting”, but as can be expected from the outrage brigade, I’ve said nothing that isn’t a realistic possibility.

She says it wasn’t consensual, he says it was. Two juries haven’t found him guilty of anything, and the alleged victim was found to have lied 30 times under cross examination. But hey, let’s not run with the long established presumption of innocence and just categorically default to “poor her”.

I’m merely pointing out that if (that’s right, IF) she is lying, then poor Jack. If she’s not, send him to jail with Hayne and I wish her all the best in her recovery.

As a general statement, not referencing any particular case, men and women can (and do) lie about various things for various motives which often find themselves in court for adjudication one way or the other. If everyone just took the “poor her” view in every case regardless of evidence, we’ll thats pretty scary for a justice system.

If you find the presumption of innocence and pointing out the fact that people can be falsely accused “disgusting and disgraceful”, then I can’t help you, but that’s reality.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

So anyway, what do we reckon about *checks notes* Stuart's warning?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Luffto wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:21 pm So anyway, what do we reckon about *checks notes* Stuart's warning?
What do you mean Stuart's warning?
He got fined 10k, suspended of course to keep the leash on, and Robinson got the warning.

Classic NRL
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:23 pm
Luffto wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:21 pm So anyway, what do we reckon about *checks notes* Stuart's warning?
He got fined 10k, suspended of course to keep the leash on, and Robinson got the warning.

Classic NRL
I read it as other way around- Ricky warning letter, Robby $10k suspended fine. Both fair calls.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Either way, got you all talking about it again
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:26 pm
Botman wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:23 pm

Classic NRL
I read it as other way around- Ricky warning letter, Robby $10k suspended fine. Both fair calls.
I’m waiting for the “thanks dubs” from Botman
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:35 pm I’m waiting for the “thanks dubs” from Botman
No need! You already know it :lol:

All jokes aside (which might be for the best!), the NRL probably handled that well
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Luffto wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:28 pm Either way, got you all talking about it again
Not entertaining discussion on anything else mate. Although I haven’t missed the irony that the outrage about something that wasn’t subject to the discussion has actually made it a part of the conversation. A topic I’m leaving well alone thanks.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:44 pm
Luffto wrote: May 13, 2021, 3:28 pm Either way, got you all talking about it again
Not entertaining discussion on anything else mate. Although I haven’t missed the irony that the outrage about something that wasn’t subject to the discussion has actually made it a part of the conversation. A topic I’m leaving well alone thanks.
Yeah I’m done, especially the De Belin side of things. I have my thoughts, others have theirs, some are outraged, some aren’t, no-ones opinions are getting changed either way so it’s a fruitless exercise. I’ll leave that one to the courts to decide. And as highlighted, it was not even intended by me to be a discussion topic, but ah well. We move on.

Sticky and his press conferences hey, what a thing of beauty.