Jack Wighton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Jack Wighton

Post by -PJ- »

Jacks probably already got his own thread but it’s pages back.

So here’s another one.

I believe Jack is a little off his game as well.

Two weeks straight and he hasn’t kicked out on the full.

It’s not normal..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Jack Wighton

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

:lol: at not kicking out on the full.

I actually liked the suggestion of him heading back to fullback until Charnze is back. Positionally Aekins has it all over him, but that’s all Aekins has. Get the feeling putting Wighton back there is going to open up the defensive line a bit more for us coming off our own line. We’re getting smashed at the moment as the first up tackle is generally close to a surrender.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

He played well against Souths but I agree- compared to last year he's off. Tried hard yesterday but couldn't deliver the killer blows like Ponga.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Anyone else tired of seeing him jink far away from the defensive line that doesn't fool anyone?
He's better off just running hard and breaking through the line with his brute strength

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Being judged by high standards now. Basically if he doesn't break the line and score 2 tries in those red zone runs then he's a bit off now. And fair enough last year he was doing that on the regular. Bloody high bar though.

Kicked pretty well, put some lovely torpedoes up which forced mistakes, a nice grubber. So he showed some improvement there.

I think he went ok, in a generally misfiring team which is rubbing off on everyone a bit at the moment.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Well down on form, and not living up to his new found hype or pay cheque. George has copped a bit lately, but Jack hasn't been near his level and yet escaped much criticism.

Likely another hit by the systemic issues of the team, but still think he could and should be producing more.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Jack Wighton

Post by The Nickman »

How great was serious concussion advocate 17B Steve “Blocker” Roach waxing lyrical about how he loves when Jack backs himself just as Jack completely EDIT the football and lost it two metres short of the line on third?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Aero wrote:Anyone else tired of seeing him jink far away from the defensive line that doesn't fool anyone?
He's better off just running hard and breaking through the line with his brute strength

Geez first it was the Austin dummy, now the Wighton jink. What’s going to be next
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think Cronk is right, he is targeted after winning the Dally M. Look how they scrambled to stop his near-try on the line

He's a great player, but not great enough to turn a team around on his own back (like say Tom Turbo). And that's not even really a diss, very few are - we need the other guys firing and they're not
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I believe that in an alternative reality, Jack was selected in first grade in the centres, spent his career there and became one of the finest in the game. Unfortunately, I don't think he's a very good 5/8 and is perhaps a good lesson in how dangerous it is to try to manufacture a player into something that he is not.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m open to Jack at the back and double Williams in the halves until CNK is back.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 9, 2021, 10:52 am
Aero wrote:Anyone else tired of seeing him jink far away from the defensive line that doesn't fool anyone?

Geez first it was the Austin dummy, now the Wighton jink. What’s going to be next
Everyone's aware of that move now and so he doesn't fool anyone. In contrast, everyone knew Thurston was going to dummy close to the line and yet they couldn't stop him. Why? Because he didn't do it every **** time he got the ball inside the opposition's 20.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

So lets take Jack out of the position where he won Dally M and rep honours, and move him back to the position where he was distinctly average, dropped the high ball all the time and was frequently caught out of position? Makes sense...

Jack is currently only player we have who looks like an attacking threat. He isn’t out of form, he’s just being asked to do things that don’t come naturally to him, like organising and managing the attack. He isn’t terrible at this, just not very good. This extra responsibility is putting additional pressure on him and distracting from his natural game, which is running the ball.

Even if you drop him back to fullback, who do you put in the halves? S Williams isnt and has never been good enough for the NRL. If its him then he will be your main guy in the halves, organising and running the attack, to his usual substandard level.

The solution, at least temporarily, is to bring Hodgson back into the fold urgently. It doesnt matter if you have to cart him out in a wheelchair, he needs to play. If not him then you need a radical solution, perhaps trying Frawley at 9. He’s played there before and his experience in the halves would take pressure off Jack to return to his natural game.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Jack needs to learn how to play slow. Explosive runs at the try line aren’t enough at the moment.

He’d scare the defensive line by running with the ball in two hands.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

rayden83 wrote: May 9, 2021, 12:57 pm So lets take Jack out of the position where he won Dally M and rep honours, and move him back to the position where he was distinctly average, dropped the high ball all the time and was frequently caught out of position? Makes sense...

Jack is currently only player we have who looks like an attacking threat. He isn’t out of form, he’s just being asked to do things that don’t come naturally to him, like organising and managing the attack. He isn’t terrible at this, just not very good. This extra responsibility is putting additional pressure on him and distracting from his natural game, which is running the ball.

Even if you drop him back to fullback, who do you put in the halves? S Williams isnt and has never been good enough for the NRL. If its him then he will be your main guy in the halves, organising and running the attack, to his usual substandard level.

The solution, at least temporarily, is to bring Hodgson back into the fold urgently. It doesnt matter if you have to cart him out in a wheelchair, he needs to play. If not him then you need a radical solution, perhaps trying Frawley at 9. He’s played there before and his experience in the halves would take pressure off Jack to return to his natural game.
I don’t disagree it’s radical. But as hard as Aekins tries we’re getting nothing of note from fullback. There just doesn’t seem to be any other good solution.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: May 9, 2021, 10:32 am Being judged by high standards now. Basically if he doesn't break the line and score 2 tries in those red zone runs then he's a bit off now. And fair enough last year he was doing that on the regular. Bloody high bar though.

Kicked pretty well, put some lovely torpedoes up which forced mistakes, a nice grubber. So he showed some improvement there.

I think he went ok, in a generally misfiring team which is rubbing off on everyone a bit at the moment.
Totally agree.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2021, 1:19 pm I don’t disagree it’s radical. But as hard as Aekins tries we’re getting nothing of note from fullback. There just doesn’t seem to be any other good solution.
If you move Jack back there, then you get nothing of note from your halves. Our halves are OK, we just need that extra player in the spine who can kick, pass, think and organise a bit, hence why I suggested Frawley (if Hodgo not available). Starling has only one string to his bow which is to run, much better suited as an impact player off the bench.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Should we be starting Siliva this week and save Starlo for the last 30
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUSTEZER wrote: May 9, 2021, 2:34 pm Should we be starting Siliva this week and save Starlo for the last 30
Starting him and bring Starlo on for the last 60. And then get at least 10 more minutes out of Havili.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Yep I can go with that
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Nothing Jack does, looks natural, even his running style.
Double that in regards to his play-making.

He's was a fine centre, is a great centre in origin and should be put back there and we go to market for both a half and a 5/8.
Who cares if he's on "spine money"..
Jack and Kris as our centres going forward please.
Im just, bicking back being bool
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Jack is on 900K.

You can’t have a centre on 900k. He’s in the spine, or another team.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

manbearpig wrote: May 9, 2021, 2:47 pm Nothing Jack does, looks natural, even his running style.
Double that in regards to his play-making.

He's was a fine centre, is a great centre in origin and should be put back there and we go to market for both a half and a 5/8.
Who cares if he's on "spine money"..
Jack and Kris as our centres going forward please.
Jack sees himself as a five eighth. If its not at Raiders it will be at another team.
The Green Hornet
Simon Woolford

Post by The Green Hornet »

Yep, 900k. No way he's going back to centre. Also, opposition teams are onto him big time, seeing as he's one of the few attacking weapons we have at the moment.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone who thinks Jack was “distinctly average” as a fullback is distinctly average as a rugby league judge.

I guess it’s the same sort of poor judgment that would result in Frawley coming in at 9.
The Green Hornet
Simon Woolford

Why would frawley come in at 9? We have starling (who's fit and a gun) and hodgo who hopefully isn't far away.
Maybe I'm missing something?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Green Hornet wrote:Why would frawley come in at 9? We have starling (who's fit and a gun) and hodgo who hopefully isn't far away.
Probably something said in the Facebook group

All sorts of stupid ideas get thrown around in there

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
The Green Hornet wrote:Why would frawley come in at 9? We have starling (who's fit and a gun) and hodgo who hopefully isn't far away.
Probably something said in the Facebook group

All sorts of stupid ideas get thrown around in there

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Facebook group? It’s being proposed only about a dozen posts above this one in this very thread!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

When there are no threats to pass to outside you, you are going to be double and triple teamed...
Jack is the least of our problems... he knows he isn’t the organiser and he’s left for dead in attack without a potent backline to use with a pass...
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

The Green Hornet wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:32 pm Why would frawley come in at 9? We have starling (who's fit and a gun) and hodgo who hopefully isn't far away.
Without Hodgo we have no organiser. Frawley with his experience in the halves and hooker may give us more organisation, attacking shape and options around the ruck.

Starling is a one dimensional, he cant kick or do anything of note other than punch through the occassional hole. He’s an upgraded Baptiste.
The Green Hornet
Simon Woolford

I dunno rayden, starlings been one of our best. To be honest, I've not seen frawley but I don't think putting him at 9 is the best thing to do at the moment.
Starling is not the problem, but he is part of the solution. He straightens our attack and gives us momentum. This should set a pretty good platform, would be ideal to share the 9 with hodgo. Let's see how we go this week.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

rayden83 wrote: May 9, 2021, 8:32 pm
The Green Hornet wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:32 pm Why would frawley come in at 9? We have starling (who's fit and a gun) and hodgo who hopefully isn't far away.
Without Hodgo we have no organiser. Frawley with his experience in the halves and hooker may give us more organisation, attacking shape and options around the ruck.

Starling is a one dimensional, he cant kick or do anything of note other than punch through the occassional hole. He’s an upgraded Baptiste.
When u r a slow team that punching through a hole becomes that much more valuable.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

He might not be playing at his best, but I was pleased to see that he got on the piss Saturday night. Definitely deserved it.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

papabear wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:10 am
rayden83 wrote: May 9, 2021, 8:32 pm

When u r a slow team that punching through a hole becomes that much more valuable.
Totes agree, thats why I would have Starling coming off the bench, injecting him when his speed is best utilised, the last 10-15 minutes of each half, rather than having him get tired. We were/are a slow team with Hodgo as well.

You to pick your poison. Either it’s a slow team or dumb team lacking imagination and variety in attack. Frawley at 9, with his superior kicking, ball playing and smarts (relative to Starling) may provide up with more acumen around the ruck. The preference is Hodgo reclaims his spot and resumes natural rotation with Starling, but with no brain in the team we continue to be a dumb, one dimensional, predictable footy side.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Jack is perfectly fine as a running 5/8, in fact he's one the best in the NRL. Problem is we have a predictable halfback who has an average kicking game, a hooker who either makes poor decisions (Hodgson) or one who isn't a ball player (Starling) plus a fullback who isn't a ball player. Jack is being asked to do too much, it's ridiculous that he's our first choice kicker. Stuart wants him to be Laurie Daley or Brad Fitler, he is neither of those players and never will be.