The solution

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

The solution

Post by papabear »

We try and place to much pressure on ourselves to get the result.

Sometimes you can’t control the result.

We played all of yesterday’s second half trying not to lose, no joy in the footy, no intensity in attack or defence, just trying to slow it down hoping 16 would be enough when we all knew it wasn’t going to be....

Forget about the premiership
Forget about the ladder
Forget about the finals
Forget about the result

Focus on improving and straightening our attack and keeping it with movement off the ball and offloads... props to papalii the only forward having fun and running off the ball - made filer look a lot better then he is..

Focus on our defence / positioning and starch..

Forget about egos with team selections - get creative with combinations and start improving the skill level of players and see if we can find a working more confident formula...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: The solution

Post by afgtnk »

Off the ball movement in attack requires fitness and conditioning. They're small repeated efforts, often for little reward.

Positioning in defence requires fitness and conditioning. We're often struggling to get back and then maintain shape.

'Starch' requires fitness and conditioning. Trying to belt players all game takes it out of you. As does maintaining line speed, which seems to significantly drop the deeper we go into a game.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Good post.

Obviously we keep pointing the finger at speed in outside backs, and no argument there.

But a massive difference from last 2 years has been that STARCH. RESOLVE. GRIT in defence, whatever you want to call it.

I was noticing Papa's decoy runs as well.

Defence is attitude, would love to see them enjoy footy as mentioned and start digging in for each other again.

Not gonna lie, I was heartbroken after that game yesterday.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Off the ball movement in attack requires fitness and conditioning. They're small repeated efforts, often for little reward.

Positioning in defence requires fitness and conditioning. We're often struggling to get back and then maintain shape.

'Starch' requires fitness and conditioning. Trying to belt players all game takes it out of you. As does maintaining line speed, which seems to significantly drop the deeper we go into a game.
100%

We go from world beaters to barely reserve grade standard after 20 mins without the ball.

The line speed goes, the runs with venom looking for offloads goes

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgtnk wrote: May 9, 2021, 8:16 am Off the ball movement in attack requires fitness and conditioning. They're small repeated efforts, often for little reward.

I agree our fitness and forward rotation is garbage, and fixing that should be one of our priorities although I’m not sure your squads fitness will magically improve on a week to week basis.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The solution?

Rick + Cannon = Sun
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rickmando wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:12 am The solution?

Rick + Cannon = Sun
I don't think you're his biggest fan judging from your posts!

Great player, one of my favourites with his long pass and kicking game, I actually think underrated and better than the modern halves like Cronk, Cleary, and DCE, but hopeless coach. It was his responsibility to make sure the players were fit and the team progressing. We keep on repeating the same mistakes - and even against average sides. It's 2017 again.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

papabear wrote: May 9, 2021, 8:55 am
afgtnk wrote: May 9, 2021, 8:16 am Off the ball movement in attack requires fitness and conditioning. They're small repeated efforts, often for little reward.

I agree our fitness and forward rotation is garbage, and fixing that should be one of our priorities although I’m not sure your squads fitness will magically improve on a week to week basis.
That's the biggest issue IMO. Physical conditioning appears to be lacking and it's not something that can be fixed quickly. To improve in the immediate term it will need adjustment in approach so we don't burn out after 40 mins.

Easier to say than do. You can do that is play more conservatively early on but questionable if that achieves much. We could end up 2 points behind instead of 16 in front before we capitulate. That would only result in uglier scorelines.

Alternatively we could play more expansively in the opening 30 mins. Early spreads to get the opposition defenses moving around. Our middles aren't doing as much work and brings fatigue factor into the opposition who are rushing up than having to quickly backtrack. We could gain as much in mental energy as physical. I'm spitballing here and trying think laterally. One thing I do know is repeating the current approach is not going to work.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

This certainly needs a different thread than the other four or five talking about the same problem.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Fitness is atrocious...
It starts at the back with our impotent backline barely bringing the ball back because of a lack of positioning and speed.
Forwards get no breather..
No decisiveness around the attacking area, so any forward momentum is wasted... don’t downplay how disheartening this is for the guys in the middle...
Anyway no point going over old ground...rock bottom might be a week away. The season is a write off unfortunately and the best we could salvage is resolving who plays 7 and 9 in 2022 and adding the necessary speed and power in the backline (whether its from the youth teams or outside)...
Ricky really let the squad down after 2019 by not keeping things fresh...
If he wants to be a Robinson or Bellyache in terms of keeping the club strong he needs to learn how they keep things fresh...
Otherwise, 7 years is about the going rate for decent run as a Head Coach at a single club.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe Mrs Tapine could offer something here.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

We were Faders a few years ago, and who was the coach that turn it around to get us deep into the finals and one GF the past few years?
I'm happy enough to write this season off and see what Sticky does for the rest of the season and next pre-season.
Our fitness looks way off track. As been said, those repeat effort plays like decoy runs, support runs etc is almost non-existent in the second half.
My biggest pet peeve as well is when a the ball hits the floor and only the other team jumps on it, or when our team assumes a play is finished, only for the other team to keep playing and exploit our laziness.
Fitness would help, not just with having the energy to do what needs to be done, but also with mental alertness to keep that focus and effort going

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year