Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: 2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 13, 2021, 1:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 13, 2021, 10:57 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 13, 2021, 9:47 am
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:Is anyone else genuinely scared about this game? If we lose this then that’s it, we lose all credibility from the last two years.

I’ve been the numb the past 5 weeks but have a hint of optimism we can turn it around and get some back to back wins especially with two crucial games coming up.

I really hope we win this game whether it’s gritty or a good performance.
I wouldn’t say I’m genuinely scared about the game. There’s bigger things I’m scared of.

Whether we win or lose, my life will still be the same.
Clowns?
Arachanecrophobia mainly
Fear of dead spiders in high places?
I was going a fear of having sex with dead spiders, but now you mention it…
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

My care factor is pretty low about this one

I think we'll win, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't. And won't really care either way

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah we may well win, but I'm sure it will be a performance of the utmost mediocrity.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

-TW- wrote: May 13, 2021, 4:33 pm My care factor is pretty low about this one

I think we'll win, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't. And won't really care either way

We have to start somewhere
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

It's not just the playing roster that's our problem. I think it'd be foolish to think we can turn this around only through the players. We all know Sticky isn't going anywhere. In that case, he needs to make changes that are within his control.

I would think a backroom staff cleanout is needed. One or even maybe both assistant coaches, though McFadden seems to have brought a lot of value. I don't believe Stuart's role as attacking coach is tenable. Performance staff - Two Dads has been here longer than Stuart has, having got the job under David Furner. Perhaps we need a new guy brought in with fresher ideas, and have the whole high performance program revamped. Maybe have a look with the club (i.e. Furner and the board) at the model successful clubs are looking at, especially the use of specific line coaches. Perhaps we need to get more analytical and data focused.

Loads of things we should be looking at and potentially changing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders, Josh Hodgson look to right the ship
Laurie Daley

No-one would be working harder to fix things right now than coach Ricky Stuart. I for one think Josh Hodgson remains a key part of that happening.

The key to unlocking the Raiders may well be in doing what Ricky is planning this week - playing Tom Starling at dummy half and Hodgson as a loose forward. It will push the Raiders halves a little wider, where they will be more of an attacking threat on the edges.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237

Canberra Raiders' second-half dos and don'ts

Leading Australian sports psychologist Jeff Bond said second-half fade-outs could be complex, but they were fixable and he backed Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to do exactly that.

Bond said there were normally three reasons for struggling after the break: the half-time routine wasn't working, it was a psychological issue or the players were training too hard.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34614

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -bulldogs/

VIDEO: The Raiders go to Magic Round looking to improve their second half performances, while the Bulldogs have made plenty of changes after their lost to the Dragons. Jamie Soward previews the match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/13/bul ... gic-round/

Canberra Raiders support 'Red Shield' appeal: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... ld-appeal/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 13, 2021, 5:07 pm It's not just the playing roster that's our problem. I think it'd be foolish to think we can turn this around only through the players. We all know Sticky isn't going anywhere. In that case, he needs to make changes that are within his control.

I would think a backroom staff cleanout is needed. One or even maybe both assistant coaches, though McFadden seems to have brought a lot of value. I don't believe Stuart's role as attacking coach is tenable. Performance staff - Two Dads has been here longer than Stuart has, having got the job under David Furner. Perhaps we need a new guy brought in with fresher ideas, and have the whole high performance program revamped. Maybe have a look with the club (i.e. Furner and the board) at the model successful clubs are looking at, especially the use of specific line coaches. Perhaps we need to get more analytical and data focused.

I don't think we can underestimate how stale the playing roster was allowed to become. This offseason will tell us a lot about whether we have actually learned anything...

It's a way larger factor in my opinion, notwithstanding that everything (including the coaching staff) should be thoroughly reviewed as you pointed out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting comment from the sports psychologist in that story... that the Raiders are telling themselves... "don't" fade, which is a negative thought, while the opposition is saying "we can beat them in the second half, eveyone else has" which is a positive thought. Self fulfilling.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Finchy wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 12, 2021, 8:10 pm
RedRaider wrote: May 12, 2021, 6:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 12, 2021, 8:28 am Good to have Ryan James back in the team. For whatever reason we seem the play better up the middle when he's on the field.
100% agree NR. Hopefully one of Papa and James is always on the field and sometimes both. They gain meters up the middle and that is a good platform for the 6, 7 and 9 to play off.
Hard to fathom why he was playing NSW Cup last week.
Shouldn’t that prevent him from playing first grade this week? Or did the bubble thing not apply to us being away from Sydney?
The COVID protocols were at stage 3 for Greater Sydney, so they wouldn’t have allied to anyone not in the Great Sydney area.

The stupid thing is, once players and teams get to QLD this week they can all rejoin the squad anyway because QLD are in stage 1.

Brad Authers son is debuting this week in the number 6 for Parra even though he played NSW Cup last week, he just can’t join the squad until they get to QLD. He also still lives at home with his parents, all seems a little bit silly.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: May 13, 2021, 5:15 pm
afgtnk wrote: May 13, 2021, 5:07 pm It's not just the playing roster that's our problem. I think it'd be foolish to think we can turn this around only through the players. We all know Sticky isn't going anywhere. In that case, he needs to make changes that are within his control.

I don't think we can underestimate how stale the playing roster was allowed to become. This offseason will tell us a lot about whether we have actually learned anything...

It's a way larger factor in my opinion, notwithstanding that everything (including the coaching staff) should be thoroughly reviewed as you pointed out.
We can get higher quality players in, but if they're not fit enough relative to the opposition, they're not going to take much effect.

Similarly, what's the use of having dangerous attacking weapons when you're conservative, reluctant to spread the ball, and have little planned off the ball movement to aid them in utilising their skills.

Changing one thing won't work without the other.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: May 13, 2021, 5:13 pm Canberra Raiders, Josh Hodgson look to right the ship
Laurie Daley

No-one would be working harder to fix things right now than coach Ricky Stuart. I for one think Josh Hodgson remains a key part of that happening.

The key to unlocking the Raiders may well be in doing what Ricky is planning this week - playing Tom Starling at dummy half and Hodgson as a loose forward. It will push the Raiders halves a little wider, where they will be more of an attacking threat on the edges.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237

Canberra Raiders' second-half dos and don'ts

Leading Australian sports psychologist Jeff Bond said second-half fade-outs could be complex, but they were fixable and he backed Raiders coach Ricky Stuart to do exactly that.

Bond said there were normally three reasons for struggling after the break: the half-time routine wasn't working, it was a psychological issue or the players were training too hard.

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34614

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -bulldogs/

VIDEO: The Raiders go to Magic Round looking to improve their second half performances, while the Bulldogs have made plenty of changes after their lost to the Dragons. Jamie Soward previews the match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/13/bul ... gic-round/

Canberra Raiders support 'Red Shield' appeal: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... ld-appeal/
Lol.

A hardened, experienced team coming off a Grand Final and Preliminary Final have all of a sudden, collectively, developed mental demons out of nowhere, such that they magically kick in at around the same time in the majority of the matches we've played thus far.

Pull the other one will you.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 13, 2021, 6:34 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 13, 2021, 5:15 pm

We can get higher quality players in, but if they're not fit enough relative to the opposition, they're not going to take much effect.

Similarly, what's the use of having dangerous attacking weapons when you're conservative, reluctant to spread the ball, and have little planned off the ball movement to aid them in utilising their skills.

Changing one thing won't work without the other.
Agree, our tactics (if we can call them that) have been abysmally conservative and would dull any ball play we’d seek to add through recruitment.
So yeah, it’s one thing to lure them here, it’s another to get them to play to their strengths...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Oh dont get me wrong, i dont think a change in personnel is going to magically get us back on track
Lessons have got to be learnt from this campaign. The coach has to evolve again and adapt to the times and our off season program needs a complete overhaul

But figuring out who's playing #7 and how to improve the back 5... at some point you do need the horses. And if we cant get them, fixing the other problems wont help us.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Interesting comment from the sports psychologist in that story... that the Raiders are telling themselves... "don't" fade, which is a negative thought, while the opposition is saying "we can beat them in the second half, eveyone else has" which is a positive thought. Self fulfilling.
Correct. Any golfers can testify to this.

"Don't hit it in the water" where does it go?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:It's not just the playing roster that's our problem. I think it'd be foolish to think we can turn this around only through the players. We all know Sticky isn't going anywhere. In that case, he needs to make changes that are within his control.

All really valid points and ones that I’m highly confident the board and coach will identify in the end of season review... before moving on Michael Ennis and replacing him with Michael Weyman.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: May 13, 2021, 8:26 pm
greeneyed wrote:Interesting comment from the sports psychologist in that story... that the Raiders are telling themselves... "don't" fade, which is a negative thought, while the opposition is saying "we can beat them in the second half, eveyone else has" which is a positive thought. Self fulfilling.

That has never happened to me!!

(I might be lying)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

same advice i give people starting out snowboarding. look where you want to go. amazing what your brain will do to make it happen.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: May 14, 2021, 4:16 am
afgtnk wrote:It's not just the playing roster that's our problem. I think it'd be foolish to think we can turn this around only through the players. We all know Sticky isn't going anywhere. In that case, he needs to make changes that are within his control.

All really valid points and ones that I’m highly confident the board and coach will identify in the end of season review... before moving on Michael Ennis and replacing him with Michael Weyman.
Boy aren't you going to have egg on your face when they move White to attacking coach instead.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bay53 wrote:

That has never happened to me!!

(I might be lying)
I hit pretty much the only water at gold creek twice in a round by doing that.

Needless to say the club's almost ended in there as well

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Captain’s Run: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -bulldogs/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A reflective Ricky Stuart admits: "It's tough"

Canberra Raiders coach has found himself in the midst of fresh controversy today, after an off the cuff comment to a journalist sparked outrage amongst Australia's netball community.

During the week, journalist Paul Kent reported on some difficult conversations Stuart has recently had with some of his out of form players on Fox League's NRL 360.

Stuart reportedly told Kent "if I can't have tough conversations with my better players I might as well coach netball".

Netball players and clubs took the comment as a slight, prompting outraged reactions from former Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander and former Australian captain Liz Ellis.

Stuart appeared a bit bit bemused by the strength of the reaction, but apologised today to any netball player who took offence.

"I respect all sports," Stuart said.

"It was an off the cuff comment. I've had a laugh about it. I had some journalists ring me last night and we had a laugh about it. But they probably flogged the hell out of me today, when they turned to their pen and flogged me."

"I respect netball. I'm sorry if I offended any girl or boy who plays netball. All sports are tough and I understand that."

"As John Fordham once said to me, 'Any publicity is good publicity as long as they're spelling your name right'. I hope netball take it as good publicity for them."

Today's controversy is not the biggest problem Stuart has had to handle in the past month. His team is on a five game losing streak. Josh Hodgson stood himself down as co-captain and there have been reports of unhappiness in the camp. A homesick George Williams has been linked to English clubs for 2022.

A reflective Stuart admitted today that it's not only been a tough time for the team, but a tough time for him. He says that his family knows the difference between a winning coach and losing coach.

"It's tough. I'd hate for a young coach to be in my position," he said.

"I can handle it personally. It is tough, but you've got to get through it.

"It hurts because of where we've been over the last two years. That's the thing that really annoys you."

"We're a better football team than our position on the table shows. That frustrates you. It frustrates you as a coach because you get annoyed because you're not winning."

"I don't think anybody handles losing well, but I take it very personally. That's why I bunker down. I don't go out. Because it's a personal thing and it's hard to handle."

Stuart says he's had tough times as head coach at other clubs, like the Sharks and Eels, but is grateful for the support he has at the Raiders.

"I feel I've certainly got a stronger club around me in regards to my seniors. I've certainly got a talented football group and good, experienced players," he said.

"They were tough days at those clubs, but I got through that and I'll get through this."

As a younger coach, Stuart had a reputation for being very hard on his players. He's mellowed over time, but says he still needs to be mindful how modern rugby league players deal with feedback in review sessions.

"I've got to be careful. It's not as though it's 15 years ago when you could be a little bit stronger on players. And I've learned that," he said.

"But still you've got to hear the truth. I've got to hear the truth about me. I'm my own worst critic, I'm most critical of myself."

While Stuart aims to be honest with his players, he makes sure he does not forget the positives.

"The review this week? Whether it was the right or wrong way to go, I showed the boys how good I thought we were in attack [against the Knights]. I saw some very sloppy pieces of defence. But to show them that we weren't very far away from winning that game, and should have and could have won, but we didn't."

"It's not all negative. I'm sorry to have to feed you positive news. Because I know no one wants to read that."

"No one wants to hear that we've got high energy in training. Nobody want to hear that we've got a very close group of blokes. Nobody wants to hear that I'm getting on really well with Josh Hodgson. But unfortunately, I'm sorry about that, but we are."

Stuart admits that some days over the past month have not been good ones.

"Of course there's going to be disgruntledness. I'm sure in your business, in any business, there's going to be disgruntledness, people cranky with the boss and that have bad days," Stuart said.

"But in the end, we're men, you get through it and you move on."

"The bigger picture is we've got a great club, it's not broken."

"What we've built over the last two or three years in regards to our standards and values is getting us through a really tough period."

"And I'm hoping it can turn very quickly. I'm not promising it's going to turn this week but we're working hard to try and do that."

Stuart says that the team has prepared well for their trip to Brisbane for Magic Round and a clash on Saturday afternoon with the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The Raiders held their captain's run in Canberra this morning, before flying to Brisbane this afternoon. He believes that any team is closer to a win when they're training with quality.

"They've trained well, worked hard," Stuart said.

"We're trying to keep that energy up, we're going through a tough patch. It's really important for the boys to keep that energy and camaraderie among themselves because it's a big part of the quality of our preparation."

"Through times like this, it's really important that you go back through your processes on how you're coaching, all your meetings, your preparation. Nothing's broken there."

"Change for the sake of change I won't do."

"Obviously, you try and lighten the load a little bit at times. This week there's been a little bit of a heavier period of training."

"We're focussing on things we need to improve on. There certainly are areas of our game we are working on to impove."

"But we were winning games last year getting a good bounce of the ball. Getting one of those tries last week when we were over the line. Scoring one or two of those... they were turning into wins for us last year."

"This year, we're not getting that little bounce or that break, that try. And that's making games even harder for us. Not to take away that we could still play better football. But we're definitely working on it."

Former co-captain, Josh Hodgson will return from a calf injury tomorrow - but won't be playing in the familiar No. 9 jersey. He'll be coming off the bench.

Today, Stuart praised the contribution Hodgson had made to preparations for the Bulldogs clash.

"Hodgo's been great, because that experience of Josh has been very timely, coming back from his calf tear," Stuart said.

"You can see there's a bit more energy in the sessions. He's got a good voice around the meetings, a good voice at training. He brings that little bit of enthusiasm and the boys enjoy playing with him. That's been very timely. It's valued."

Stuart wasn't entirely sure how Hodgson would be used in tomorrow's game.

"The way some of the games are going at the moment with HIAs and what not, it's pretty hard to predict," Stuart said.

"But I hope to get him on at the same time as Tommy. There might be a period where I can give Tommy a break. But I know at times over the years I've had Tommy on the bench or Siliva on the bench, and they've moved into the game with Josh, it's a good combination. So that's a big chance too."

The Raiders have lost forwards Joe Tapine (knee) and Ryan Sutton (elbow) after suffering injuries in last Saturday's defeat at the hands of the Knights. But Stuart says he's fortunate to be able to bring in experienced replacements, Dunamis Lui and Ryan James.

"They bring another style of game to us. Certainly that experience is something that will help the younger blokes around them," Stuart said.

"It'll help Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler who are still early in their careers."

"We've got blokes there who are playing big minutes at the moment... and three of those guys didn't do an off season because of injury."

"I see all that and I'm sure anybody who knows the game sees all that too. It's difficult. But they're getting through it."

"The more game time that Corey Horsburgh, Emre Guler and Corey Harawira-Naera get the better they'll be."

"We've just got to keep searching for a win and trying to get some game time under the belt for those boys who didn't have a very good off season."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart spoke at length about this week's match against the Bulldogs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -positive/

Netball ACT throws down challenge to Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Canberra Raiders review processes to end drought: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart measured in Raiders review: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2838267
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

"Obviously, you try and lighten the load a little bit at times. This week there's been a little bit of a heavier period of training."
Lol. Wonder why, Stick.

"But we were winning games last year getting a good bounce of the ball."

"This year, we're not getting that little bounce or that break, that try."

**** off.

A bounce of the ball doesn't explain why we're in 12th mate. It wouldn't even explain being in 6th/7th/8th.

I truly hope he doesn't believe this is a deep reason, and it's just media speak.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coronavirus pandemic keeps Canberra Raiders winger Semi Valemei apart from baby daughter

Rosie's almost eight months old, but Semi Valemei still hasn't been able to hold his daughter in his arms.

"She's alright. She's growing up so fast," Valemei said. "No I haven't had a chance yet [to visit Fiji], but hopefully soon. The restrictions and quarantine and stuff, hopefully soon I get the chance to go back and see my family. It's pretty hard, it's pretty hard.

Netball ACT throws down challenge to Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders review processes to end drought: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like they held the signing session at Boggo Road!
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

Any predictions on sin bins after tonight's efforts so far. CHN and Young may get sent before a set is complete!
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wighton is due for one

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Go doggies
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Go the bears.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Go banana
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

simo wrote:

same advice i give people starting out snowboarding. look where you want to go. amazing what your brain will do to make it happen.
That’s how my pop taught me to ride a bike. Can confirm it works
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I just looked at the ladder and if we can win by 38 points or more, we're back in the top 8.

Do NOT **** it up, boys.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

yurithe1 wrote: May 15, 2021, 11:32 am I just looked at the ladder and if we can win by 38 points or more, we're back in the top 8.

Do NOT **** it up, boys.
If we can't flog the Bulldogs by at least that it'll be embarrassing.

A 24-18 score will be akin to a loss.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Raiders 34 16
Caleb FTS