Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood himself down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by twistedbydesign »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:33 pm None of what limited success we've had over this period would have occurred if we didnt have Josh Hodgson.
I would hate to see him play for another club.
100% this. He's the most influential player we've had in a long time, and even if that influence has waned I'd absolutely hate to see his time here end on bad terms. Let's hope we can find a way to get the best out of both him and Starlo in the short term, and develop Tom into a top quality 9 for the mid-term in the process.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Are people ignoring the fact Hodgson is coming back from another serious knee injury?

It takes time, be a little patient. He deserves some patience and has earned it.

Just because he has been back on the field, doesn’t mean he’s completely healed physically and mentally. Confidence with the knee is everything and I look forward to seeing him back on the park soon.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

yeh raiders wrote: May 5, 2021, 8:52 am Are people ignoring the fact Hodgson is coming back from another serious knee injury?

It takes time, be a little patient. He deserves some patience and has earned it.

Just because he has been back on the field, doesn’t mean he’s completely healed physically and mentally. Confidence with the knee is everything and I look forward to seeing him back on the park soon.
Fair call. Physically he looks fine though. The mental aspect we don't know.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Broncos considering shock play for Raiders star Josh Hodgson

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Finchy wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:56 pm I blame the Curse of Sterlo. As soon a Sterling declared Hodgo a better hooker than Cam Smith after the first Storm game last year, his form fell off a cliff and never returned. And Cam Smith retired a premiership winner. Thanks Sterlo.
Sterling is 1 letter away from Starling. What if they are secrertly related, and this whole thing is one massive conspiracy to get Tom the top Hooker gig? Sterling has connections in Nine, this could go all the way to the top.

You know who else could be involved? Thurling...
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:50 am
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:30 am Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Sandor Earl was spot on about this place.
I thought you were banned from social media?
Yeah, three days for calling someone a pig, because, well... he was being a pig.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel like the bigger issue here is how this happened. There are a million sound reasons why either Hodgo, the club or both might consider it is in his or the teams best interests for him to step back from the co-captaincy. No problem with that - do a presser, put out a release, spin it - whatever. But to have this spill in the way it did where a journo awkwardly says “btw I heard he stood down 2 weeks ago” is a bad look and hints at broader discontent.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 9:30 am
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:30 am Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Yeah, three days for calling someone a pig, because, well... he was being a pig.
Zuckerberg hates you. You need to reflect.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:27 am

It's not just Zuck, i have that on very good authority too
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed Canberra Raiders co-captain

The Canberra Raiders would like to provide their members and supporters with an update to help clarify media reports this week regarding the club.

The club understands that the current on-field results have not been up to the standards and expectations that have been set internally and we’re doing everything we can to make sure that the team performs at the standard they have set over the past few seasons.

The club would also like to take the opportunity to thank its members and supporters for their continued support, with record membership numbers and strong crowds attending matches so far this season. The team is looking forward to playing in front of a sold-out crowd in Wagga Wagga this weekend.

Josh Hodgson

The club can confirm Josh Hodgson has made the decision to stand down as Captain going forward. Hodgson has informed the coaching staff and playing group of his decision and said he will continue to do everything he can to make sure the team is successful moving forward.

“I’ve made the decision to stand down as club Captain and I informed the team of this a couple of weeks ago,” Hodgson said. “I’ve been out injured for the past two games and I’ve been working hard on getting myself back on the training field. I’m confident I’ll be ready to play again when we play the Bulldogs next weekend.

“I can assure everyone that I remain fully committed to the club and I’m looking forward to getting myself back to 100% fitness and helping the team get their season back on track.

“I know internally we’re all working extremely hard to turn things around and the playing group and staff have been fully committed to each other and the club.”

As a result of Hodgson’s decision to stand down as Captain, Elliott Whitehead has been appointed Captain alongside Jarrod Croker.

George Williams

The Raiders have been working with George Williams and his partner around some issues regarding being separated from family and friends back home in England.

With the global pandemic making it difficult for them to remain connected to family and friends its important that the club focusses on their wellbeing and over the past several weeks they’ve been working with them to identify ways to remain connected.

The Raiders will continue to offer George and his partner all the support they need, and George has confirmed he remains committed to the club.

Canberra Raiders media release

'Fully committed to club': Hodgson gives up captaincy to ease pressure: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/05/hod ... led-times/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:29 am
T_R wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:27 am

It's not just Zuck, i have that on very good authority too
I thought we said we were leaving Matt out of this??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

Post by greeneyed »

I guess that perhaps the Raiders were hoping Hodgson might change his mind, otherwise why hide the fact he’d stood down two weeks ago from the members of the club? That’s the only positive spin I could put on not announcing this. Clearly, things have not been well for some time. Lack of transparency on something like that is not good practice.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

gangrenous wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:27 am You guys the trolls giving Croker ****? Why so defensive on the social media status comments?!
When I was on twitter he blocked me for what I can gather was not much more than having an opinion that he wasn't up to Origin. Never followed him, never tweeted at him and never tweeted anything personal. Some athletes/celebrities etc are just sensitive to criticism yet will actually seek out others' perception of them.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:54 am I guess that perhaps the Raiders were hoping Hodgson might change his mind, otherwise why hide the fact he’d stood down two weeks ago from the members of the club? That’s the only positive spin I could put on not announcing this. Clearly, things have not been well for some time.
I'd say your on the money.
He most likely didn't take kindly to being told he was going to be dropped until his fitness / form returned. Understandable from Hodgo's perspective.
The question is whether he can recover his best or if that ship has sailed...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:56 am
gangrenous wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:27 am You guys the trolls giving Croker ****? Why so defensive on the social media status comments?!
When I was on twitter he blocked me for what I can gather was not much more than having an opinion that he wasn't up to Origin. Never followed him, never tweeted at him and never tweeted anything personal. Some athletes/celebrities etc are just sensitive to criticism yet will actually seek out others' perception of them.
And what makes you think you have the right to post that opinion about one of our players? Why not keep that to yourself?

Personally, I'd block you too (if I understood Twitter in the slightest) if you posted that sort of garbage about me!

Let's put it this way, how do you react when people post things about Jack?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:54 am I guess that perhaps the Raiders were hoping Hodgson might change his mind, otherwise why hide the fact he’d stood down two weeks ago from the members of the club? That’s the only positive spin I could put on not announcing this. Clearly, things have not been well for some time. Lack of transparency on something like that is not good practice.
Agree. The other thing I take from this announcement about Whitehead being co-captain is a vote of confidence in Croker. If he was on the way out now would be a good time to make one announcement about a different direction for the leadership team but this suggests there is a need for stability. You wouldn’t swap out 2 captains incrementally over a short period.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If that's what you said then I don't blame him for blocking you.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:05 am
And what makes you think you have the right to post that opinion about one of our players? Why not keep that to yourself?

Personally, I'd block you too (if I understood Twitter in the slightest) if you posted that sort of garbage about me!

Well for starters you can mute someone. Blocking is a little extreme unless someone is actually trolling you but, meh. It didn't bother me at all. Jack didn't play well in last year's Origin series. If people post that, I agree with it. My tolerance levels when debating with idiots is low so there's only so far I will go arguing with the blind. A lot of the hate towards Jack is people that can't accept they were wrong about him playing five eighth. He keeps accumulating awards though and rubbing it in :thumbsup
Last edited by Knotincelly22 on May 5, 2021, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:25 am
Spot on. People think they should be allowed to say whatever they want about players on online forums and the players should just deal with it.

It's complete Bull.
Last edited by The Nickman on May 5, 2021, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hang on... Hang on... are you saying you have aspirations of playing state of origin Nicko?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:26 am

Hang on... Hang on... are you saying you have aspirations of playing state of origin Nicko?
I'm not ruling it out!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:27 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:26 am

I'm not ruling it out!
BJ Mole - get here now!
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

It's beside the point. Whether I think he should or shouldn't have played Origin, it's utterly irrelevant to his chances. It's not a public vote. One call to the selectors over the past decade would have told him where he needed to improve.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Whitehead's reign begins now. Fall into line you peasants.

I hope this change of focus sees Hodgo return with a spring in his step. More importantly I'm looking forward to seeing Papa and Tapine getting back into some form.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:31 am
It's beside the point. Whether I think he should or shouldn't have played Origin, it's utterly irrelevant to his chances. It's not a public vote. One call to the selectors over the past decade would have told him where he needed to improve.
Sounds to me like YOU'RE the one missing the point here.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:33 am Whitehead's reign begins now. Fall into line you peasants.

I hope this change of focus sees Hodgo return with a spring in his step. More importantly I'm looking forward to seeing Papa and Tapine getting back into some form.
Yep, we need all 3 to find their best...and quickly.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:26 am
Spot on. People think they should be allowed to say whatever they want about players on online forums and the players should just deal with it.

It's complete Bull.
Well you can't say whatever you want. The false rumours circulating on various SM platforms last year about a certain former coach proved as much.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:34 am
No. I just disagree with you, champ.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:38 am

Actually, your post that I'm calling out is disagreeing with NR, pal.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:39 am
I disagree with both of you. I thought that was obvious? Damn, son.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Back on topic please.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The bold part is correct. While you have the right to an opinion people also have the right not to listen to it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'll say it again, I just don't understand why people feel they have the right to slag off on players on social media (and that includes this forum) and the players should just deal with it. It's absolute garbage and should be called out as such.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:45 am
The bold part is correct. While you have the right to an opinion people also have the right not to listen to it.
Absolutely. I'm just pointing out the media narrative about 'trolls' harassing Croker hasn't really been proven as correct.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:42 am
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:39 am

I disagree with both of you. I thought that was obvious? Damn, son.
The truth of the matter here is you're not a good enough poster to be involved in this discussion. No offence.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:48 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:45 am

Absolutely. I'm just pointing out the media narrative about 'trolls' harassing Croker hasn't really been proven as correct.
I'm not here to provide proof of any such claims. I was commenting on what you said.