Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

Post by Billy Walker »

radicalraider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:11 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:07 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm Just read a piece from an article about Hodgson and Ricky.. Hodgson was most upset that the same criticism he got from Ricky behind closed doors was being relayed by the media in particular on 360 where Rickys close mate PK works... Hodgson felt betrayed..
Do you have a link? That makes sense, but two wrongs don’t make a right - if Hodgo was annoyed (and fair that he was) he should take it up with Ricky and leave it there rather than have that play out in media also...
Reading the play - Twitter page
I’m blocked - just kidding I actually don’t know what that is and am too old and lazy to investigate
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's just what social media is for sports players, and pretty much anyone with a blue check mark.
I've been around SM, this website and seen the discourse about Jarrod Croker long enough that i know the sort of **** that would be coming up on notifications

Just a bunch of people hurling abuse... i dont really understand why were so concern about Croker stepping back from toxic environments like SM and why anyone gives the faintest **** that he's blocked some idiot on the GH either.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Why Hodgson stepped down as Canberra Raiders captain

After the Raiders were heavily defeated by Parramatta on home soil in round six, coach Ricky Stuart called Josh Hodgson into a meeting and delivered some home truths.

What is believed to have infuriated the Raiders hooker, as much as what Stuart thought of his performances, is the fact he’d heard the same things the night before on Fox League’s NRL 360 from some of the game’s most senior journalists. They included comments such as: “He tries too hard. He interferes in [Jack] Wighton’s space. He overplays his hand. They’ve got three halves.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-ho ... 57p21.html
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

I don't disagree with him stepping away from SM given the form slump the club is enduring. The 'endless sea of positivity' would be the exact opposite right now and he's smart enough to avoid it. However, my original reply was to the post questioning why no one had mentioned the unverified claims of trolls hounding Croker into a SM sabbatical? It's a non story until someone provides proof of it being anything other than a figment of the media's imagination.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I would bet money that the vast majority of abuse that has caused Croker to step away from social media would be in the forms of direct messages and not comments or tweets.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Look, I'm not saying Sid and Nickman viciously attacking Sutton had anything to do with Croker closing his account but.... the timeline sure fits.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

hobbsy wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:41 pm I would bet money that the vast majority of abuse that has caused Croker to step away from social media would be in the forms of direct messages and not comments or tweets.
How would media know about that then, given they are private messages? Remember they were claiming it as fact.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

radicalraider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:37 pm Why Hodgson stepped down as Canberra Raiders captain

After the Raiders were heavily defeated by Parramatta on home soil in round six, coach Ricky Stuart called Josh Hodgson into a meeting and delivered some home truths.

What is believed to have infuriated the Raiders hooker, as much as what Stuart thought of his performances, is the fact he’d heard the same things the night before on Fox League’s NRL 360 from some of the game’s most senior journalists. They included comments such as: “He tries too hard. He interferes in [Jack] Wighton’s space. He overplays his hand. They’ve got three halves.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-ho ... 57p21.html
From the article.

he’d heard the same things the night before on Fox League’s NRL 360 from some of the game’s most senior journalists. They included comments such as: “He tries too hard. He interferes in [Jack] Wighton’s space. He overplays his hand. They’ve got three halves.”

Shouldn't be assumed that it was leaked by Ricky to the NRL360 panel. If they hadn't worked it out themselves already they could have almost quoted it verbatim from comments on this forum.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:51 pm Look, I'm not saying Sid and Nickman viciously attacking Sutton had anything to do with Croker closing his account but.... the timeline sure fits.
And I'd do it again.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Most people and most of their dogs could see that Hodgson was over complicating things out there.

That's one of the differences between him and Cam Smith. Hodgo tried to create everything and nobody was on the same page.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on May 5, 2021, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:59 pm Most people and most of their dogs could see that Hodgson was over complicating things out there.

That's one of the differences between him and Cam Smith. Hodgo tried to create everything and nobody was in the same page.
Youve pretty well nailed it here.

Cam Smith was a genius and made everyone around him better by knowing when to use them.

Hodgo is a genius, and for years he was our best because the other spine players weren't that great, and his ability led us to great heights based off him running the team - but now we have decent halves they are being reduced in effectiveness because of his style of running the show.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:54 pm
hobbsy wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:41 pm I would bet money that the vast majority of abuse that has caused Croker to step away from social media would be in the forms of direct messages and not comments or tweets.
How would media know about that then, given they are private messages? Remember they were claiming it as fact.
The same way they get any story about things going on at a club. Croker has probably spoken about it to other players/officials at the club and then this word is passed on to the media when they contact their sources. Its not hard to work out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:59 pm Most people and most of their dogs could see that Hodgson was over complicating things out there.

That's one of the differences between him and Cam Smith. Hodgo tried to create everything and nobody was in the same page.
Mixed feelings about all this - not great form if Ricky is leaking personal critiques of players to the media but agree with you that the media comments may not have come from Ricky. Hodgo could possibly have showed a little more resistance here and had it out straight with Ricky. It seems he has also turned to the media to play out his side of the story. Just a bit off an odd one all around.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I don't think there was any leaking at all; I back Stuart on this as he is generally loyal to his players, particularly his closest soldiers, does not criticise them in after game press conferences, and as Seiffert points out - most people and their (cat) who have watched our games could point out the problems with Hodgson. They have been discussed extensively on this forum and you don't need to be a rocket scientist.
What I am concerned about is the fraying of relationships between Ricky and his players. Stuart must stand up as a leader and only wins can paper the cracks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I guess a positive is if Hodgo were to move on I don't see there being any issue getting another team to absorb his current contract in full. Plenty are desperate for a quality dummy half. Particularly those like Broncos and Dogs who's halves are substandard too. No issue with Hodgo cramping their style as there's very little to cramp.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:40 pm I guess a positive is if Hodgo were to move on I don't see there being any issue getting another team to absorb his current contract in full. Plenty are desperate for a quality dummy half. Particularly those like Broncos and Dogs who's halves are substandard too. No issue with Hodgo cramping their style as there's very little to cramp.
The dogs desperately need a 9...
Hodgson would fast track their recovery.
The real question is what would we do with the cap space...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:40 pm I guess a positive is if Hodgo were to move on I don't see there being any issue getting another team to absorb his current contract in full. Plenty are desperate for a quality dummy half. Particularly those like Broncos and Dogs who's halves are substandard too. No issue with Hodgo cramping their style as there's very little to cramp.
The other question is how to Dogs find the cap space. They've put a lot of coin into outside backs recently.

As for our own cap space. Starling elevated to starting hooker will require an upgrade. That reduces the balance available for recruitment.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:48 pm
The other question is how to Dogs find the cap space. They've put a lot of coin into outside backs recently.

As for our own cap space. Starling elevated to starting hooker will require an upgrade. That reduces the balance available for recruitment.
Dogs still have room...talk was they were chasing the Bronco's centre (Staggs)...
Speaking of Bronco's, looks like Coates is headed to Melbourne....shame we were never in that hunt.

Also Melbourne adding serious talent to a team that is already talented...we can learn something from how they refresh their squad...
Last edited by GreenMachine on May 5, 2021, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:28 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:47 am I'll say it again, I just don't understand why people feel they have the right to slag off on players on social media (and that includes this forum) and the players should just deal with it. It's absolute garbage and should be called out as such.
I agree with you about social media - I don’t really know how it works but don’t think anyone needs to be tagged (did I use that right?) into negative comments about themselves. I need convincing about here though. Isn’t this a fan forum where punters can form crazy views, share opinions, get passionate and vent. It wouldn’t be much fun if every post was talking up how good the team is.
I think if the players didn't read this forum then yeah, go ahead, open slather. But when every season we've got a thread called Aiden Sezer or Jarrod Croker and it's essentially just people **** them from pillar to post year after year after year I think it genuinely affects their state of mind and their form.

And I've held this opinion for a long time and it's a reason I'll always go so hard in to bat against it, which often results in warnings and bans (I'm currently serving a 3-day Facebook ban for calling out some unwarranted slander against CHN). Sure, it's easy to say the players should just ignore the forum, but it's human nature to want to see what people are saying about you.
Players should definitely not be reading this forum.

However, it might make sense for the club employee to have someone go through this forum (and/or similar), as directed by the coach. When a player is in a great run of form (an therefore resilient) they can pull up the stupid criticisms made by the people who have grudges etc. Like when CNK gets MOM and runs for 250+ meters and saves 3 tries... but we all get aftgk doubling down for a week and telling us all why he is a terrible fullback. They could read these type of posts out at the team meetings so everyone can have a good laugh.

This would help negate the influence of social media. Lets face it, most opinions on social media are dumb ones (mine likely not an exception)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Absolutely.

Hard to see him go, but now may be the time.

If George Williams also leaves, we will need to invest big $$ on a replacement for him. I suspect much of his homesickness is related to the fact we've got him on a club-friendly contract, especially with the crazy money being thrown at off-contract halves this season.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I get a feeling we will have a "War Chest" soon enough the way things are going..
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

GreenMachine wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:50 pm

Dogs still have room...talk was they were chasing the Bronco's centre (Staggs)...
Speaking of Bronco's, looks like Coates is headed to Melbourne....shame we were never in that hunt.

Also Melbourne adding serious talent to a team that is already talented...we can learn something from how they refresh their squad...
Our recruitment manager, Peter Mulholland, was in hospital receiving further treatment for cancer on the weekend. That's why he wasn't able to witness the SG Ball side he helped assemble win the club's fourth title at that level. I'm wishing him a speedy recovery not just because he seems a top bloke, but because he could help Ricky navigate a rocky future in terms of who to retain and where to look for fresh talent.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 5, 2021, 3:22 pm
Absolutely.

Hard to see him go, but now may be the time.

If George Williams also leaves, we will need to invest big $$ on a replacement for him. I suspect much of his homesickness is related to the fact we've got him on a club-friendly contract, especially with the crazy money being thrown at off-contract halves this season.
100%.
It's amazing how homesick you can become when the bank account isn't flush with cash...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

yurithe1 wrote: May 5, 2021, 3:28 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:50 pm

Our recruitment manager, Peter Mulholland, was in hospital receiving further treatment for cancer on the weekend. That's why he wasn't able to witness the SG Ball side he helped assemble win the club's fourth title at that level. I'm wishing him a speedy recovery not just because he seems a top bloke, but because he could help Ricky navigate a rocky future in terms of who to retain and where to look for fresh talent.
Yeah heard about Pete, wishing him well...great guy.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep you upgrade Starling, you chase Ray Stone as a backrower from the eels, and you bring in Brett Finch as a halves coach.

Two birds and one stone.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 3:55 pm

Yep you upgrade Starling, you chase Ray Stone as a backrower from the eels, and you bring in Brett Finch as a halves coach.

Two birds and one stone.
Quite clever by Dad Joke standards. :clap:
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders666 wrote: May 5, 2021, 3:28 pm I get a feeling we will have a "War Chest" soon enough the way things are going..
I think you will end up being right the way things are heading...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

People saying a few wins will turn the mood around - we're past that point. There is a rift at the club and at least a couple senior guys likely won't be seen in green again.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 5, 2021, 4:39 pm People saying a few wins will turn the mood around - we're past that point. There is a rift at the club and at least a couple senior guys likely won't be seen in green again.
There is an "overhead projector feel" about things at the moment...
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

hobbsy wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:06 pm
The same way they get any story about things going on at a club. Croker has probably spoken about it to other players/officials at the club and then this word is passed on to the media when they contact their sources. Its not hard to work out.
I seriously doubt it happened at all. I'm sure there are plenty of tweets that are critical of not just Croker but most of the players and the coach. Social media includes this forum and we all know the journalists ghost these places looking for a story angle. The point is, any player avoiding SM to spare themselves the backlash is not the same as one who is getting direct abuse/threats. That is what was alleged and there is still zero evidence. If you wanna see what a player being trolled is like-have a scroll thru John Bateman's twitter feed when he announced he was heading back home to Wigan. They came for him and he didn't hold back. Our fans don't have a good rep, Matt Orford says hi. So the media can run with bs and many will believe it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 5:13 pm
hobbsy wrote: May 5, 2021, 2:06 pm
I seriously doubt it happened at all. I'm sure there are plenty of tweets that are critical of not just Croker but most of the players and the coach. Social media includes this forum and we all know the journalists ghost these places looking for a story angle. The point is, any player avoiding SM to spare themselves the backlash is not the same as one who is getting direct abuse/threats. That is what was alleged and there is still zero evidence. If you wanna see what a player being trolled is like-have a scroll thru John Bateman's twitter feed when he announced he was heading back home to Wigan. They came for him and he didn't hold back. Our fans don't have a good rep, Matt Orford says hi. So the media can run with bs and many will believe it.
Why are you personally so eager to beat the drum that it never even happened at all? That's just **** weird.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Just heard on the radio that Stick/Hodgo had a ‘screaming match’.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote: May 5, 2021, 5:38 pm Just heard on the radio that Stick/Hodgo had a ‘screaming match’.
I didn't want to address GreenMachine's "overhead projector" comment until it became public knowledge... but there was an "overhead projector" moment recently that caused Hodgson to spit the dummy
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Was the crux of the conversation "I've decided that Tommy is our long term 9 as he isn't a massive ball hog and gives the halves the early ball they need"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'm sure its a conversation that had to be had.
Hodgo has been overplaying his hand for a few years now, that's why he was dropped from the England team by Bennett.
Every raider fan could see the difference when starling started vs hodgo. So it's basically Ricky saying what everyone is thinking to him. And he thought it was leaked and got cranky, where its just different people all saying the same thing...
Love the man, but it had to be called out.. he has not given our halves good ball or even ball when they want it, left edge attack is crap because Jack is forced to run centre lines, which left Croker or the winger no room.. for example.. or papas crash ball.. yep, effective 1 time out of 80.
Not good enough.
And I think his form slump started early in 2020 when a female commentator asked him about being the nrls best hooker, and its been a #^$@ show ever since. Ego