All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Broncos considering shock play for Raiders star Josh Hodgson

Post by Ruben Daley »

rayden83 wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:53 pm
IBG wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:46 pm I'm going to say it. Hodgson was a brilliant recruit and arguably the best hooker we have had since Walters. But the game has changed and I feel like now that we have two halves who have shown the ability to control and run the game, Hodgo has not adapted. While he can undoubtedly still produce moments of brilliance, I think we are a better football TEAM with Starling as our hooker.

I would be sad due to nostalgia reasons, but not unhappy if Hodgo was to move on.
Blah blah blah the game has changed blah blah blah. :roll:

Neither Williams nor Wighton have ability to run the game. Both are running five eighths and both lack football IQ and game management. Hodgson is the cerebrum of the team. If we are a in pickle Hodgo is the one who can dig us out. And even he is not that good in that role, just the best we got. Wighton to a lesser extent but Williams is VERY passive for a half back.

Without Hodgo, as good as Starling is as as a sugar hit, the team has very little to no creativity or imagination. Look at what happened last week without Hodgo or Williams, we had no plan other than to “play fru the middle”

Hodgo isnt done yet. Cam Smith was still killing it in his mid to late 30s, and they are both very similar styled players. It’s frustrating seeing Raiders fans wanting to release our best players like Hodgo, Williams etc on some ridiculous platitude that the “game has changed” or we can sign <insert name> and they will drop everything to come play for a crumbling club like the Raiders.
Totally agree with this last part. The Broncos should be pursuing him hard because he, with a decent halfback, is exactly what they need to turn their basketcase of a club around. He would run riot behind their pack.

Hodgo's arrival was the start of the best period of recruitment we've had in decades. Hodgo leaving may spell the start of it going the other way.

I really don't like this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood himself down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart denies rift with star forward Joseph Tapine after social media controversy

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is adamant there was no blazing row with Joe Tapine and the star lock does not want out of the Raiders. There has been talk doing the rounds in the NRL that Stuart and Tapine were involved in a heated clash on Monday.

What Stuart won’t back away from is the fact he has not been happy with Tapine’s form, and that of other players, and they need to rectify it quickly to save their season.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a8b39efe33

Ricky’s meeting with Raiders players after controversial Instagram post from star’s wife: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 14744f45e3
Finite
David Furner

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by Finite »

Green Blogger wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:20 pm The NRL360 team also called out the form and efforts of Papalii and Tapine. They basically said that Tapine’s bench time reflects his form not mismanagement.
Spot on, what I've been saying all along. He should be in the side but his time and position currently reflects his form. As much as I love Hodgo and what he has done for the club, we don't look any worse, if not better off with starling at hooker. Apart from Papali's resting which Ricky said Papali agreed with I haven't had too many issues with the big names that have been "rested". Papali apparently came into the club after his week of and said he's ready to go. I'm predicting a big game from him against the Knights.

I would love to see Croker come back stronger and he have a place in the team if he can find some form. Those giving it to Croker on socials are scum.

If we can have a big win against the knights and get on a roll I think we can still drive deep into the finals.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Finchy wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:56 pm I blame the Curse of Sterlo. As soon a Sterling declared Hodgo a better hooker than Cam Smith after the first Storm game last year, his form fell off a cliff and never returned. And Cam Smith retired a premiership winner. Thanks Sterlo.
Sterlo is adamant Wighton is more of a centre so he can't stop pumping up Hodgson's tyres and proclaiming him as vital to our success-even with mounting evidence to the contrary. :nooo :opps
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 4, 2021, 8:24 pm
rayden83 wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:53 pm
IBG wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:46 pm I'm going to say it. Hodgson was a brilliant recruit and arguably the best hooker we have had since Walters. But the game has changed and I feel like now that we have two halves who have shown the ability to control and run the game, Hodgo has not adapted. While he can undoubtedly still produce moments of brilliance, I think we are a better football TEAM with Starling as our hooker.

I would be sad due to nostalgia reasons, but not unhappy if Hodgo was to move on.
Blah blah blah the game has changed blah blah blah. :roll:

Neither Williams nor Wighton have ability to run the game. Both are running five eighths and both lack football IQ and game management. Hodgson is the cerebrum of the team. If we are a in pickle Hodgo is the one who can dig us out. And even he is not that good in that role, just the best we got. Wighton to a lesser extent but Williams is VERY passive for a half back.

Without Hodgo, as good as Starling is as as a sugar hit, the team has very little to no creativity or imagination. Look at what happened last week without Hodgo or Williams, we had no plan other than to “play fru the middle”

Hodgo isnt done yet. Cam Smith was still killing it in his mid to late 30s, and they are both very similar styled players. It’s frustrating seeing Raiders fans wanting to release our best players like Hodgo, Williams etc on some ridiculous platitude that the “game has changed” or we can sign <insert name> and they will drop everything to come play for a crumbling club like the Raiders.
Totally agree with this last part. The Broncos should be pursuing him hard because he, with a decent halfback, is exactly what they need to turn their basketcase of a club around. He would run riot behind their pack.

Hodgo's arrival was the start of the best period of recruitment we've had in decades. Hodgo leaving may spell the start of it going the other way.

I really don't like this.
He's 32 later this year. Comparing him to Cam Smith, arguably the best player in the history of the game, is way off. Re-signing Hodgson given his injury history over the past few seasons would be silly. The Broncs are more desperate and thirsty than a bloke with a fist full of cash and an Only Fans addiction. Let them blow the bank and their load
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

None of what limited success we've had over this period would have occurred if we didnt have Josh Hodgson.
I would hate to see him play for another club.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I love Hodgo and agree entirely with Botman. However, two ACL’s later, several years later and a cracker like Tom S coming through, Hodgo’s contract here was always his last. People cite Cam Smith but he is the exception not the rule re: longevity and high class output.
32/33 is right on end of career stuff usually for forwards and hookers these days you’d have to think. Particularly those who’ve had both ACL’s go.
Can’t blame Hodgo for trying to eek out a season or so more but if head is over heart, there is no new contract from us but maybe a coaching role/club role. That’s footy right?
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I would be heartbroken to see him play for another club. But I also think his influence on-field is waning. It's a tough one
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I don't want to see either Hodgson or Starling leave. I don't want Starling off to Canterbury, GC or Manly.
But clearly he's a first grade hooker. Next year may be the last year of our window and it's also Hodgson's last year. After that we need to move on - much like when Stuart and Brad Clyde left us in 1998. Didn't like seeing them leave then but we made a bet on youth at the time and Mark McLinden was coming through.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

A lot to unpack here...
Hodgson should not be signed past his current deal.
He’s the type of player that could help guide the Broncs to the 8 but not our team to win the lot (which should be our goal). Too many injuries and age has hit him harder than Camron Smith (who I see him being compared to).
As I said in previous posts, the team needs refreshing if Sticky is planning on a longer tenure... otherwise your changing the coach (and as a conservative club I doubt we’ll sack Stuart).

As for Paps and Tapine, I’d like to keep them on as part of the rebuild, so hopefully they can iron out their issues..

We should be trying to keep G Williams too given the lack of quality available in the halves market.

Our backline (power and speed) and possibly more mobile back row is what we should focus our rebuild on...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Old School Green wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:54 pm I love Hodgo and agree entirely with Botman. However, two ACL’s later, several years later and a cracker like Tom S coming through, Hodgo’s contract here was always his last. People cite Cam Smith but he is the exception not the rule re: longevity and high class output.
32/33 is right on end of career stuff usually for forwards and hookers these days you’d have to think. Particularly those who’ve had both ACL’s go.
Can’t blame Hodgo for trying to eek out a season or so more but if head is over heart, there is no new contract from us but maybe a coaching role/club role. That’s footy right?
I think that is a fair analysis of the current situation. He has been great but a move could potentially work well for both parties here
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Not our captain’: Josh Hodgson’s shock leadership call revealed as the Canberra Raiders hooker is linked to Brisbane Broncos

Canberra Raiders star Josh Hodgson reportedly stepped down as captain a fortnight ago. It comes as the veteran hooker is linked to a shock move to the Broncos.

“I got a phone call just before I came on air. Josh Hodgson two weeks ago apparently told Ricky and his teammates that he was standing down as captain,” Read said. “That ties in with a conversation I know another journalist had with a senior official at the club. He was talking to him about Josh Hodgson and apparently he said to him ‘he’s your captain’ and the official said to him ‘he’s not our captain.’

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e41b757f13
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Bloody hell, could anyone have predicted this is where our club would be 4-5 weeks ago? Nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Starling is a firecracker but from what I've seen has zero creativity or ball skills. He is literally a run from dummy half at tired forwards type hooker. I don't think putting him in the same team as Wighton and Williams is the right balance.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:None of what limited success we've had over this period would have occurred if we didnt have Josh Hodgson.
I would hate to see him play for another club.
I'd like to think that Hodgson and Ricky can talk this out over a few beers. Offer him a pathway into coaching through our club. It's very hard to judge, but I think Hodgson could actually make it as a coach. And yes I'd also hate to see him in another jersey, particularly the **** Broncos.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Wow... just wow. I'm just watching nrl360.

I feel bad for Croker. It does look like he did close down his social media. Poor bloke. He doesnt deserve any abuse from anyone. He has done a lot for the club and tries his heart out. Its not his fault he gets picked every week.

But unless we click on the field it does look like we may have a really tough season.

What i saw against Souths gives me hope. There was a 20 minute lapse and we lost when he had 2 tries denied which we most weeks would have been tries.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

benda wrote:Wow... just wow. I'm just watching nrl360.

I feel bad for Croker. It does look like he did close down his social media. Poor bloke. He doesnt deserve any abuse from anyone. He has done a lot for the club and tries his heart out. Its not his fault he gets picked every week.

But unless we click on the field it does look like we may have a really tough season.

What i saw against Souths gives me hope. There was a 20 minute lapse and we lost when he had 2 tries denied which we most weeks would have been tries.
Crokers Instagram is still open for comment, so it hasn’t been shutdown at all.

He’s hasn’t posted anything for a while but he’s isn’t a big poster anyway, massive beat-up if you ask me.

Tapine, Papa, Starling, Young, Horse, Sutton, Simonsson, James, Elliot, Liva, Sia and CNK love a post. G Williams has gone very quite of late though.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Postman Pat wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:15 pm

He’s hasn’t posted anything for a while but he’s isn’t a big poster anyway, massive beat-up if you ask me.

Tapine, Papa, Starling, Young, Horse, Sutton, Simonsson, James, Elliot, Liva, Sia and CNK love a post. G Williams has gone very quite of late though.
I haven't investigated.. but if reports are true that Croker has been abused by fans, thats just soo wrong. That is the point.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

benda wrote:

I haven't investigated.. but if reports are true that Croker has been abused by fans, thats just soo wrong. That is the point.
Well the mail bag says he’s still on social media, they’d all get criticism from time to time but the media has built this rubbish up.

We win and all this crap stops getting printed.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Postman Pat wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:56 pm
benda wrote:

Well the mail bag says he’s still on social media, they’d all get criticism from time to time but the media has built this rubbish up.

Fair dinkum. Let up on the bloke.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
Postman Pat wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:56 pm
benda wrote:

Fair dinkum. Let up on the bloke.
I completely agree, the media have put out that he’s hiding behind some kind of proverbial rock just isn’t true.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The social media comment is a beat up.
Croker isn’t a regular poster.
And yesterday you could see Tapine celebrating his birthday with His crew, Liva, Lui, Sia and Papalli...
Hodgson as part of the coaching team is a nice idea, but hardly realistic if he thinks he has more to offer as a player..
Ricky is too loyal and I reckon we’ll see Hodgson back when fit irrespective of whether it benefits the team long term..
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Josh Hodgson reportedly stood himself down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by gangrenous »

You guys the trolls giving Croker ****? Why so defensive on the social media status comments?!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Sandor Earl was spot on about this place.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:30 am Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

FYI, Matt is not considered a ‘good authority’.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I didn’t know the players could read.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:30 am Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Not when you consider he somehow increased my Facebook ban from 24 hours up to 3 days!

Fair dinkum, never call this bloke up as your character witness!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I thought you were banned from social media?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:45 am
Coastalraider wrote:

Not when you consider he somehow increased my Facebook ban from 24 hours up to 3 days!
Oh. That's my thunder stolen, then.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

I said this is another thread - but the ceiling of this squad is much lower without a firing Hodgson. If he can recapture some of the form he previously had, the team can challenge. Without him, we are at best a side who will reach the second week of the finals, third with a lot of luck. That’s at our best, which we are far from.

I think the whole “game has passed him by” argument is incorrect. There have been stages and periods during last season before his injury (Melbourne away) and this season (he has 5 try assists, after all), where he has shown with the extra time and space he can be damaging. He also showed in 2016 that he could split time at hooker with Baptiste and be effective. Getting the balance right between Wighton, Williams and Hodgson can be done.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:I didn’t know the players could read.
Another damaging attack on the players right here from PJ.

I think the players look at the pretty pictures on social media and the wives do the reading; sounds a bit like my situation TBH.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:57 am
-PJ- wrote:I didn’t know the players could read.
Another damaging attack on the players right here from PJ.

I think the players look at the pretty pictures on social media and the wives do the reading; sounds a bit like my situation TBH.
Silly me. Of course they can read.

It’s not 1984 !!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:53 am I said this is another thread - but the ceiling of this squad is much lower without a firing Hodgson. If he can recapture some of the form he previously had, the team can challenge. Without him, we are at best a side who will reach the second week of the finals, third with a lot of luck. That’s at our best, which we are far from.

I think the whole “game has passed him by” argument is incorrect. There have been stages and periods during last season before his injury (Melbourne away) and this season (he has 5 try assists, after all), where he has shown with the extra time and space he can be damaging. He also showed in 2016 that he could split time at hooker with Baptiste and be effective. Getting the balance right between Wighton, Williams and Hodgson can be done.
At best Hodgo- I agree. Whether he gets back to that, I dunno. We'll have this season to see.

Ceiling if the team shifts with Hodgo, but also morphs into a very different team. With say Starling on say 450k instead of Hodgo on 650k we can spend on a better FB or back 5 in general or top line halfback (if GWilly goes). It would be the end of an era but could be played into a team that still challenges the top.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

TongueFTW wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:53 am I said this is another thread - but the ceiling of this squad is much lower without a firing Hodgson. If he can recapture some of the form he previously had, the team can challenge. Without him, we are at best a side who will reach the second week of the finals, third with a lot of luck. That’s at our best, which we are far from.

Completely agree. It's up to him and the coaches now to adapt. I thought that would've been sorted in the off-season. Cleary it still needs more work.

Is he done though? No. This is still one of the best hookers in the game and the talent does not look like it has left him yet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We ain’t winning anything without Hodgo.

He just need to do less.

When he’s fit he’s back in #9.

Standing himself down as captain is a self pride thing. He knows right now his game isn’t where he wants it to be and being captain of the side he believes he should be leading the way.

Maybe he believes relinquishing the captaincy will take the pressure off him and he can focus on footy.

I hope he hasn’t quit the job because he’s planning on going elsewhere.. I really do.