Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Re: Josh Hodgson reportedly stood himself down as co-captain two weeks ago

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:49 am
Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:42 am
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:39 am
Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:38 am
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:34 am
Sounds to me like YOU'RE the one missing the point here.
No. I just disagree with you, champ.
Actually, your post that I'm calling out is disagreeing with NR, pal.
I disagree with both of you. I thought that was obvious? Damn, son.
The truth of the matter here is you're not a good enough poster to be involved in this discussion. No offence.
None taken :woot:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

Post by Canberra Milk »

Toots and anyone else are well within their rights to block someone. But why would you go actively out of your way to do it, for a passing comment on your origin credentials? That's a sensitive personality.

Origin credentials are discussed all the time by commentators, all throughout mid-season. It's not some controversial area, it's a hot topic
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Knotincelly22 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:45 am
Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:31 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:25 am
Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:56 am When I was on twitter he blocked me for what I can gather was not much more than having an opinion that he wasn't up to Origin. Never followed him, never tweeted at him and never tweeted anything personal. Some athletes/celebrities etc are just sensitive to criticism yet will actually seek out others' perception of them.
If that's what you said then I don't blame him for blocking you.
It's beside the point. Whether I think he should or shouldn't have played Origin, it's utterly irrelevant to his chances. It's not a public vote. One call to the selectors over the past decade would have told him where he needed to improve.
The bold part is correct. While you have the right to an opinion people also have the right not to listen to it.
Absolutely. I'm just pointing out the media narrative about 'trolls' harassing Croker hasn't really been proven as correct.
He's well within his rights to block you for your **** unwarranted opinion

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:03 pm Toots and anyone else are well within their rights to block someone. But why would you go actively out of your way to do it, for a passing comment on your origin credentials? That's a sensitive personality.

Origin credentials are discussed all the time by commentators, all throughout mid-season. It's not some controversial area, it's a hot topic
Maybe it's not one post in isolation and he's had a career of putting up with hot takes from ****??

Because I'm not on Twitter, but that's certainly been my experience of Jarrod Croker's career from this forum alone.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

-TW- wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:06 pm
Knotincelly22 wrote:
It's beside the point. Whether I think he should or shouldn't have played Origin, it's utterly irrelevant to his chances. It's not a public vote. One call to the selectors over the past decade would have told him where he needed to improve.
The bold part is correct. While you have the right to an opinion people also have the right not to listen to it.
Absolutely. I'm just pointing out the media narrative about 'trolls' harassing Croker hasn't really been proven as correct.

His defence is the only thing that stopped him representing NSW. Whether you choose to ignore that is up to you. Its not unwarranted and its' certainly not trolling to hold that opinion.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

-TW- wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:06 pm
Knotincelly22 wrote:

His defence is the only thing that stopped him representing NSW. Whether you choose to ignore that is up to you. Its not unwarranted and its' certainly not trolling to hold that opinion.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't believe what I'm reading here. Writing your opinion on on-field performance in a respectful way, is not trolling
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:11 pm I don't believe what I'm reading here. Writing your opinion on on-field performance in a respectful way, is not trolling
Yeah I can’t tell if Nickman is trolling, telling someone they don’t have the right to post a critique of a player.

The same guy who wanted Corey Hors fired out of a cannon after like 2 games.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:07 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:03 pm Toots and anyone else are well within their rights to block someone. But why would you go actively out of your way to do it, for a passing comment on your origin credentials? That's a sensitive personality.

Maybe it's not one post in isolation and he's had a career of putting up with hot takes from ****wits??

Because I'm not on Twitter, but that's certainly been my experience of Jarrod Croker's career from this forum alone.
We have come a long way since the original message boards, where I just assumed no player would ever read the stuff we wrote. I've deliberately softened since then, now that social media is part of everyday life, including the players. You can almost assume the opposite, that someone will read it
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Come on now, you're not this naive are you
1) You dont really think it was just some very benign passing comment on his SOO chances do you?
2) You think he just singles out a single negative comment on his post in a sea of positivity?

If you do i've got some **** hot swamp land to sell you, bring your cheque, pal. Im looking to clean right up!
To answer the bolded question, you wouldn't. So i'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about that

This social media stuff with players is really getting out of hand though and i dont blame anyone for just bulk blocking these **** stains.
These people arent looking to engage with honest discourse. They're just angry fans who have no self control. And no one could possibly think that if Jarrod Croker posted a whatever on a social media platform that these cretins aren't coming out of the woodwork in droves to level this sort of abuse, it happens on this site, so there no reason to think it wouldnt happen on social media plat forms like insta or twitter where the access directly to the player is easy... This is been spoken about a lot recently by players, the abuse on social media. It's not new, it's certainly not something other players are shying away from guys like Addo Carr and Mitchell are really vocal about it.

You dont have to a sensitive personality to decide you're not going to have a pack of clowns swarm you with abuse on social media about their supercoach team, or their multi or about your race, ethnicity or your general level of play every time you post. A lot players simply arent interested in have that sort of negativity hang over them, this too has been spoken about a lot by athletes. They speak openly about how they cant even look in their comments, they turn comment notifications off, because there is always abuse.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Social media for a well known athlete would be a very different place to what regular people experience. Most of us have accounts with small numbers of followers made up of people we know directly. NRL players have tens of thousands of followers of people they've never met in their life. Its probably very normal for them to log on and have hundreds of notifications and message requests, and a large number of those would likely unfortunately be pretty unsavoury. It'd only be natural for them to have a zero tolerance attitude towards it and so when they get notified of an anonymous account making negative comments about them blocking the account makes total sense. They don't know you and they have no reason to accept it and continue reading that stuff in the future from the same account.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:12 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:11 pm I don't believe what I'm reading here. Writing your opinion on on-field performance in a respectful way, is not trolling
Yeah I can’t tell if Nickman is trolling, telling someone they don’t have the right to post a critique of a player.

I'm not saying nobody has a right to critique a player that's the hottest of hot takes in this discussion so far. I've said that Croker is well within his rights to be fed up and block this sort of crap when he's copped an unwarranted about of garbage throughout his whole career which is completely disproportionate to his flaws as a player.

And on the Horsburgh crap, all I said at the start of his career was that he didn't impress me as much as others, and I very openly back-pedaled and admitted I was wrong on many, many occasions since that.

You'll find many more posts of me admitting I was wrong than you ever will of me deathriding him, it's ludicrous to be clinging to that to back-up the strawman you're trying to make right now.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:15 pm

This is been spoken about a lot recently by players, the abuse on social media. It's not new, it's certainly not something other players are shying away from guys like Addo Carr and Mitchell are really vocal about it.

That is a false equivalence. Addo Carr posted about receiving players receiving threats via DMs from disgruntled punters whose multis lost. Mitchell objected to racist posts directed at him. This is not the same as an objective opinion on why such and such player has persistently been overlooked for rep teams.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:22 pm

This is been spoken about a lot recently by players, the abuse on social media. It's not new, it's certainly not something other players are shying away from guys like Addo Carr and Mitchell are really vocal about it.

That is a false equivalence. Addo Carr posted about receiving players receiving threats via DMs from disgruntled punters whose multis lost. Mitchell objected to racist posts directed at him. This is not the same as an objective opinion on why such and such player has persistently been overlooked for rep teams.
Again, you're completely missing the point why players just get completely fed up with this **** and just end up blocking ALL comments. You think yours for some reason should be filtered out and accepted?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

See, this is why you're a really bad poster and should excuse yourself from the discussion, because you've quote less than half the post and tried to draw parallels that were not made. Do better next time.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:47 am I'll say it again, I just don't understand why people feel they have the right to slag off on players on social media (and that includes this forum) and the players should just deal with it. It's absolute garbage and should be called out as such.
I agree with you about social media - I don’t really know how it works but don’t think anyone needs to be tagged (did I use that right?) into negative comments about themselves. I need convincing about here though. Isn’t this a fan forum where punters can form crazy views, share opinions, get passionate and vent. It wouldn’t be much fun if every post was talking up how good the team is.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

I'm not saying nobody has a right to critique a player that's the hottest of hot takes in this discussion so far. I've said that Croker is well within his rights to be fed up and block this sort of crap when he's copped an unwarranted about of garbage throughout his whole career which is completely disproportionate to his flaws as a player.

And on the Horsburgh crap, all I said at the start of his career was that he didn't impress me as much as others, and I very openly back-pedaled and admitted I was wrong on many, many occasions since that.

You'll find many more posts of me admitting I was wrong than you ever will of me deathriding him, it's ludicrous to be clinging to that to back-up the strawman you're trying to make right now.
Appreciate you clarifying, because you literally wrote: “And what makes you think you have the right to post that opinion about one of our players?”

And of course JC is well within his rights to block anyone he doesn’t want to hear from, just as anyone on the planet is and I’d encourage them to do so. He and many others have probably found that on many occasions what starts out as general critiquing on social media, turns to abuse about multis.

I’ve got no issue with anyone being blocked, I’ve got an issue with someone saying you can’t post a critique about a player on a public forum.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:23 pm

Again, you're completely missing the point why players just get completely fed up with this **** and just end up blocking ALL comments. You think yours for some reason should be filtered out and accepted?
Not at all but there's a clear distinction between fans voicing frustration and overstepping the line. As club captain you're basically a lightning rod for the fans' unrest. The media are presenting a story-without evidence-that a player not posting on SM for a few days amounts to them being subjected to vile abuse. Interestingly, they were happy to throw up receipts of the insta screenshot in the Tapine case.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:28 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 11:47 am I'll say it again, I just don't understand why people feel they have the right to slag off on players on social media (and that includes this forum) and the players should just deal with it. It's absolute garbage and should be called out as such.
I agree with you about social media - I don’t really know how it works but don’t think anyone needs to be tagged (did I use that right?) into negative comments about themselves. I need convincing about here though. Isn’t this a fan forum where punters can form crazy views, share opinions, get passionate and vent. It wouldn’t be much fun if every post was talking up how good the team is.
I think if the players didn't read this forum then yeah, go ahead, open slather. But when every season we've got a thread called Aiden Sezer or Jarrod Croker and it's essentially just people ****-canning them from pillar to post year after year after year I think it genuinely affects their state of mind and their form.

And I've held this opinion for a long time and it's a reason I'll always go so hard in to bat against it, which often results in warnings and bans (I'm currently serving a 3-day Facebook ban for calling out some unwarranted slander against CHN). Sure, it's easy to say the players should just ignore the forum, but it's human nature to want to see what people are saying about you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is also a huge difference between posting criticisms about a player on a forum like this, or just punching out an opinion on your twitter feed and chucking in the #Raiders or #CBRvsSTI hashtag or what ever
If players want to go searching for what fans have said about them, and search their names, and search the hashtags and the forums... if you're out there searching, you'll get what you get on that front and it's kind of them.
Thats not what we're talking about here

We are talking about these people who think they have a right to @ the player, get in the mentions of that players post and start talking ****... get the **** outta here. They're under no obligation to keep nonsense in their life. They're on social media to engage with their friends, family, other players, and theirs fans. If you're not fan and all you want to do is @ them to tell them they're not good enough, then why are you following them?
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:26 pm

See, this is why you're a really bad poster and should excuse yourself from the discussion, because you've quote less than half the post and tried to draw parallels that were not made. Do better next time.
The rest of your post was supposition and you made a very clumsy segue between what I admitted to posting and what JAC and Latrell experienced. I called you out and you don't like it. It ain't that deep. I'm still waiting to see a single SM post where Croker copped abuse over the past week.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:32 pm
I think if the players didn't read this forum then yeah, go ahead, open slather. But when every season we've got a thread called Aiden Sezer or Jarrod Croker and it's essentially just people **** them from pillar to post year after year after year I think it genuinely affects their state of mind and their form.

And I've held this opinion for a long time and it's a reason I'll always go so hard in to bat against it, which often results in warnings and bans (I'm currently serving a 3-day Facebook ban for calling out some unwarranted slander against CHN). Sure, it's easy to say the players should just ignore the forum, but it's human nature to want to see what people are saying about you.
I can see where you’re coming from, can respect your views and admire your passion. I tend to agree with Botmans differentiation between a player being tagged in a junk post and one searching out what is said about them in a forum.

I’ve bagged Croker on here for a long time but I’d truly be shocked if anything I’ve said here reached him let alone bothered him if it did.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Its pretty simple. If you write on a player's social media account telling them they are not good enough, don't act aggrieved if they block you.
Last edited by Northern Raider on May 5, 2021, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:37 pm The rest of your post was supposition and you made a very clumsy segue between what I admitted to posting and what JAC and Latrell experienced. I called you out and you don't like it. It ain't that deep. I'm still waiting to see a single SM post where Croker copped abuse over the past week.
You're entire posting in this thread is a supposition. You've provided absolute no proof other than your own word, which is... not worth the bytes is written in. We have no idea if Croker's got you blocked and if he does, what did you actually say for this to occur?
I very much doubt it was because of some benign passing comment on his SOO chances, and rather lean toward you being up in his comments and mentions being a POS.
He has absolutely every right to block you and your unwanted opinions. The engagement on his posts are on his terms.

The segue was about abuse on SM and how athletes are responding to it. And it comes in all manner of ways. They're blocking people like you, because they're not interested in having people like you involved in their fan engagement. And rightly so based on what we've seen here.

As for the SM post in the last week where Croker is copped abuse? Gonna be hard to find that given he's not posted in a while, which reports suggest is due to abuse.
Again, this is why you're bad. Let's try to improve here, friend.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:46 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:32 pm
I think if the players didn't read this forum then yeah, go ahead, open slather. But when every season we've got a thread called Aiden Sezer or Jarrod Croker and it's essentially just people **** them from pillar to post year after year after year I think it genuinely affects their state of mind and their form.

I can see where you’re coming from, can respect your views and admire your passion. I tend to agree with Botmans differentiation between a player being tagged in a junk post and one searching out what is said about them in a forum.

I’ve bagged Croker on here for a long time but I’d truly be shocked if anything I’ve said here reached him let alone bothered him if it did.
I specifically pointed out I never tweeted anything at Croker much let alone directed any abusive language his way. I held a certain opinion and I guess he saw it and didn't like it? I didn't take it personally. SM platforms mean everyone is entitled to their opinion and celebrities using it for validation alone are going to be disappointed. I'm sure a lot of the material posted on the Raiders' form over the past month is going to be negative and why would any player want to read that? It doesn't necessarily make it abuse, though. The club has a number of issues right now-it ain't just about one player.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:51 pm
Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 12:37 pm The rest of your post was supposition and you made a very clumsy segue between what I admitted to posting and what JAC and Latrell experienced. I called you out and you don't like it. It ain't that deep. I'm still waiting to see a single SM post where Croker copped abuse over the past week.
You're entire posting in this thread is a supposition. You've provided absolute no proof other than your own word, which is... not worth the bytes is written in. We have no idea if Croker's got you blocked and if he does, what did you actually say for this to occur?
I very much doubt it was because of some benign passing comment on his SOO chances, and rather lean toward you being up in his comments and mentions being a POS.
He has absolutely every right to block you and your unwanted opinions. The engagement on his posts are on his terms.

The segue was about abuse on SM and how athletes are responding to it. And it comes in all manner of ways. They're blocking people like you, because they're not interested in having people like you involved in their fan engagement. And rightly so based on what we've seen here.

As for the SM post in the last week where Croker is copped abuse? Gonna be hard to find that given he's not posted in a while, which reports suggest is due to abuse.
Again, this is why you're bad. Let's try to improve here, friend.
Wait. If trolls are in his comments/mentions how hard is it to post receipts? Come on, you're either a bad troll or not that bright.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Just read a piece from an article about Hodgson and Ricky.. Hodgson was most upset that the same criticism he got from Ricky behind closed doors was being relayed by the media in particular on 360 where Rickys close mate PK works... Hodgson felt betrayed..
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I agree.

My opinion is that Jarrod Croker is not up to first grade anymore. If I hashtagged #Croker on Twitter whilst voicing that opinion, how does that make me a troll?

There is nothing abusive about that it is purely commenting on on field footy matters.

Why do some find it so hard to distinguish between mere footy/performance related criticism and personal abuse?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm
Wait. If trolls are in his comments/mentions how hard is it to post receipts? Come on, you're either a bad troll or not that bright.
Report: Croker has stepped away from social media accounts due to abusive fans
GH Sleuths: Looks like his accounts are still open for commenting etc but he hasn't posted for a while but he's not a regular poster anyway.

Knotincelly22: I havent seen any posts in the last week with abuse!

What a genius :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm

I agree.

My opinion is that Jarrod Croker is not up to first grade anymore. If I hashtagged #Croker on Twitter whilst voicing that opinion, how does that make me a troll?

There is nothing abusive about that it is purely commenting on on field footy matters.

Why do some find it so hard to distinguish between mere footy/performance related criticism and personal abuse?
It doesnt.

Now if you want to go on twitter and "@JarrodCroker is just not good enough anymore. He should be sent packing" then he's got every right to block you. And the reality is that's not the post... the general vibe of the post is more likely "@JarrodCroker f****** off you s*** c***, cant believe you keep getting picked"
Last edited by Botman on May 5, 2021, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

radicalraider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm Just read a piece from an article about Hodgson and Ricky.. Hodgson was most upset that the same criticism he got from Ricky behind closed doors was being relayed by the media in particular on 360 where Rickys close mate PK works... Hodgson felt betrayed..
Do you have a link? That makes sense, but two wrongs don’t make a right - if Hodgo was annoyed (and fair that he was) he should take it up with Ricky and leave it there rather than have that play out in media also...
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Billy Walker wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:07 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm Just read a piece from an article about Hodgson and Ricky.. Hodgson was most upset that the same criticism he got from Ricky behind closed doors was being relayed by the media in particular on 360 where Rickys close mate PK works... Hodgson felt betrayed..
Do you have a link? That makes sense, but two wrongs don’t make a right - if Hodgo was annoyed (and fair that he was) he should take it up with Ricky and leave it there rather than have that play out in media also...
Reading the play - Twitter page
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:05 pm
GH Sleuths: Looks like his accounts are still open for commenting etc but he hasn't posted for a while but he's not a regular poster anyway.

If it was an actual story there would be screenshots-best believe the DT and Fox would be all over it. We have the one from Tapine's wife and that was only up for less than a day. Unless you're assuming every toll deleted every tweet? Riiiiight.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:05 pm

If it was an actual story there would be screenshots-best believe the DT and Fox would be all over it. We have the one from Tapine's wife and that was only up for less than a day. Unless you're assuming every troll deleted every tweet? Riiiiight.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:07 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm

I agree.

It doesnt.

Now if you want to go on twitter and "@JarrodCroker is just not good enough anymore. He should be sent packing" then he's got every right to block you. And the reality is that's not the post... the general vibe of the post is more likely "@JarrodCroker f****** off you s*** c***, cant believe you keep getting picked"
Ugly stuff and poor form and if I’m Croker I’m blocking rubbish like that also - but in terms of letting it impact or affect me - nup. The world is full of nutters with their own struggles and frustrations in life. You be true to yourself, care about the opinions of those that matter and let the rest fall at your feet.