All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Josh Hodgson stands down, Elliott Whitehead appointed co-captain

Post by Seiffert82 »

This is such a shame.

Hodgo is clearly a good dummy half. I thought he looked on song in our trial vs the Roosters. Not only the halves, but our front rowers got sharp service.

It then slowly started to unravel.

I'm not surprised we are here. It was the exact same situation before he did his knee last season. Very unfortunate it has come to this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Manipulation, agitation’: Ricky denies Hodgson rift as NRL rivals circle Raiders

Paul Kent has revealed that Ricky Stuart maintains Josh Hodgson made the call to step down from the captaincy as the Raiders’ season threatens to implode.

"The backstory is this is how it starts the manipulation, the agitation and we saw it with John Bateman only last year where stories begin to appear and the narrative starts to build and things get denied and ultimately he ended up leaving," James Hooper said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 86c9cb12de

Canterbury Bulldogs reportedly express interest in Josh Hodgson

Raiders management fielded a call from representatives of the Bulldogs two weeks ago and asked if they would let Josh Hodgson go for the remainder of the 2021 season.

The Raiders quickly rejected the overtures, believing Hodgson was vital to their own premiership campaign. The Dogs interest in Hodgson beyond this season would depend on the club’s first focus, which is believed to be Brandon Smith, who they can’t negotiate with until November 1.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a8b39efe33

Inside the ‘heated’ Ricky meeting that forced ‘infuriated’ Raider to relinquish captaincy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ae9d4129f2
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 5, 2021, 5:55 pm
sprintman wrote: May 5, 2021, 5:38 pm Just heard on the radio that Stick/Hodgo had a ‘screaming match’.
I didn't want to address GreenMachine's "overhead projector" comment until it became public knowledge... but there was an "overhead projector" moment recently that caused Hodgson to spit the dummy
And fair enough. The club is currently carrying Croker x600kpa for way too long. Hodgo is on 650k/800k depending on reports- say 700k. He's 5 minutes back from a 2nd knee reco at a club that won significantly more games in the new rules -last 2 seasons- than without him.

raiders performance 2020/2021... 8/16 with Hodgo, 10/15 with Starling on an upward career trajectory... He should be toeing the line not having hissy fits.

If we run Starling (contracted end 2022) as our hooker we save enough to make a serious play elsewhere, be it Fb, halfback etc. The same as having James on a relatively budget contract gives us room to wiggle in the forwards.

If players want to shake this tree out, the season and window is a bust as it is so shake the tree and rebuild with the best attitudes. Of the "must keeps", let's say we keep 90% of these are Wighton, Papa, Starling, Tapine, Whitehead (2-3 more years, ball playing lock option depending on team), Sutton, Young, GWilly (if happy), Kris, CNK (FB, centre or doing Rapas job but younger + less errors on the wing)...

Then there's a bunch can stay or go depending on attitude: CHN, Scott, Hors, Lui, Guler, Havilii (1 year see how SG Ball hooker develops). We'll end up keeping most or half.

If I'm getting the projector out, looking short/medium term at the current game: Croker, Hodgo, Simo, probably Hors, Sia, Rapa (don't go one year too long when we have Savage and desperately need speed)
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hodgson is on $800k. We would need to upgrade Starling but it would give us about a half a mil extra to play with on a fullback upgrade and some strike on the edge.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 360 discussion tonight on Josh Hodgson... Paul Kent says that Ricky Stuart has denied that the meeting he held with Hodgson two weeks ago was heated (see above)... says it ended with the two giving each other a hug. Stuart would not tell Kent why Hodgson decided to stand down as captain, would not break the confidence.

It is pretty clear, based on what they were saying, that Isaac Moses is agitating, just as he did with John Bateman. I don't understand how his company is still allowed to operate in management of NRL players, after the company owner was deregistered as an agent. He was basically found not to be a fit and proper player agent for NRL players... but his company simply employs other accredited agents to circumvent the ban. Moses is a stain on the game, and continues to be.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

sprintman wrote: May 5, 2021, 5:38 pm Just heard on the radio that Stick/Hodgo had a ‘screaming match’.
I didn't want to address GreenMachine's "overhead projector" comment until it became public knowledge... but there was an "overhead projector" moment recently that caused Hodgson to spit the dummy
There sure was. I’m glad it’s out now.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:41 pm
And fair enough. The club is currently carrying Croker x600kpa for way too long. Hodgo is on 650k/800k depending on reports- say 700k. He's 5 minutes back from a 2nd knee reco at a club that won significantly more games in the new rules -last 2 seasons- than without him.

raiders performance 2020/2021... 8/16 with Hodgo, 10/15 with Starling on an upward career trajectory... He should be toeing the line not having hissy fits.

If we run Starling (contracted end 2022) as our hooker we save enough to make a serious play elsewhere, be it Fb, halfback etc. The same as having James on a relatively budget contract gives us room to wiggle in the forwards.

If players want to shake this tree out, the season and window is a bust as it is so shake the tree and rebuild with the best attitudes. Of the "must keeps", let's say we keep 90% of these are Wighton, Papa, Starling, Tapine, Whitehead (2-3 more years, ball playing lock option depending on team), Sutton, Young, GWilly (if happy), Kris, CNK (FB, centre or doing Rapas job but younger + less errors on the wing)...

Then there's a bunch can stay or go depending on attitude: CHN, Scott, Hors, Lui, Guler, Havilii (1 year see how SG Ball hooker develops). We'll end up keeping most or half.

If I'm getting the projector out, looking short/medium term at the current game: Croker, Hodgo, Simo, probably Hors, Sia, Rapa (don't go one year too long when we have Savage and desperately need speed)
100%
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 5, 2021, 6:54 pm NRL 360 discussion tonight on Josh Hodgson... Paul Kent says that Ricky Stuart has denied that the meeting he held with Hodgson two weeks ago was heated (see above)... says it ended with the two giving each other a hug. Stuart would not tell Kent why Hodgson decided to stand down as captain, would not break the confidence.

It is pretty clear, based on what they were saying, that Isaac Moses is agitating, just as he did with John Bateman. I don't understand how his company is still allowed to operate in management of NRL players, after the company owner was deregistered as an agent. He was basically found not to be a fit and proper player agent for NRL players... but his company simply employs other accredited agents to circumvent the ban. Moses is a stain on the game, and continues to be.
I’ll add this.
You can take it on good authority any player managed / associated with Moses isn’t getting the benefit of the doubt on contract negotiations...
Theres more, it will come out eventually.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

How’s Benny Elias’ form unloading on the raiders situation on NRL 360. He hasn’t held back. It’s almost like he resents the raiders for something that happened in his past.... I’m not a therapist but his rant screams to me 89 - crossbar. Let it go Benny, let it go.....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Benny also unknowingly really vindicating the NRL new concussion protocols!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:NRL 360 discussion tonight on Josh Hodgson... Paul Kent says that Ricky Stuart has denied that the meeting he held with Hodgson two weeks ago was heated (see above)... says it ended with the two giving each other a hug. Stuart would not tell Kent why Hodgson decided to stand down as captain, would not break the confidence.

Unfortunately I don’t believe Ricky here, especially how he said they finished the meeting with a cuddle although Hodgson relinquished the captaincy
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

My 2 cents.
Winners are grinners, so this stuff goes away.
Losers find excuses, and the wheels fall off.
However, the smoke is bellowing on this 1, with several players involved, and thats worrying.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:27 pm My 2 cents.
Winners are grinners, so this stuff goes away.
Losers find excuses, and the wheels fall off.
However, the smoke is bellowing on this 1, with several players involved, and thats worrying.
Be interesting to watch how it all plays out. If we clean up the Knights and return to normal transmission we will know it was all a storm in a tea cup.

I also wonder if any of it might be skilfully manufactured. If the club or Ricky did want to move on an experienced player or two ahead of a contract running its course it might be necessary to create a bit of instability around those players. Unlikely but possible.

Interesting times but I’m not giving up on 2021.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

One win isn't going to make this all go away
But it is very much a case imo of winning solving a lot of these issues... if we rattled off 3 in 4 and then 5 in 7 and start stacking wins regularly and getting out season back on track
a lot of this would go away

Do we have a team capable of doing that? Is the team engaged enough to dig themselves out of this? I have my doubts
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

This is about a Game called rugby league , **** drama queens the lot of them, **** off who doesnt want to be there and Rick you might be getting stale mate. I dont want hear anymore of this petulant crap, there is a global pandemic going on ****, pull your heads in or you can all get ****.
This place is woke.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:42 pm Is the team engaged enough to dig themselves out of this?
No. They're not playing for each other. That's why people have tossed up a million reasons as to why things aren't working but ultimately it comes down to simply that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: May 5, 2021, 7:42 pm One win isn't going to make this all go away
But it is very much a case imo of winning solving a lot of these issues... if we rattled off 3 in 4 and then 5 in 7 and start stacking wins regularly and getting out season back on track
a lot of this would go away

Do we have a team capable of doing that? Is the team engaged enough to dig themselves out of this? I have my doubts
A couple of things go differently and we don’t drop all of the last 4. It’s a fine line. Agree it’s a big ask but start with a win over knights and who knows. It’s a very good roster and 9th isn’t a million miles from the 8. Rather this drama be happening in early May rather than late August
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

Media goes on a mission to find drama when one thing comes out.. Was saying to a mate after the first story that the media would hunt down anything they could make out as drama and sure enough that's what has happened

Then if things do turn around it's a big redemption story.. Same old pattern I'm not reading too much into it

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

irvste wrote: May 5, 2021, 8:07 pm Media goes on a mission to find drama when one thing comes out.. Was saying to a mate after the first story that the media would hunt down anything they could make out as drama and sure enough that's what has happened

Then if things do turn around it's a big redemption story.. Same old pattern I'm not reading too much into it

They don't have to go on much of a mission. Isaac Moses is supplying all the information, as he's deliberately creating instability. This is why a win against the Knights won't stop this. He creates endless "leaks". We should tell players they need to ditch his agency or they're not in green. I know that's unrealistic, but that's how poisonous the bloke is to clubs. Then the only other thing the media have to do is ring up Ricky.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

If I am right in reading through the above and the order of events. Sticky had his tough talk with Hodgo the night after it was all aired on NRL360. Let's give Sticky the benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't leaked. Even still it is terrible timing for man management. He should not have been jumping on the bandwagon the night after Hodgo was shamed publicly. I'd go nuts if someone did that to me.

Sticky should have been the first one to have that conversation with Hodgo, months ago, if he thought it accurate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky says that Hodgo doesn't even watch NRL 360... according to NRL 360 tonight.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: May 5, 2021, 9:20 pm
irvste wrote: May 5, 2021, 8:07 pm Media goes on a mission to find drama when one thing comes out.. Was saying to a mate after the first story that the media would hunt down anything they could make out as drama and sure enough that's what has happened

They don't have to go on much of a mission. Isaac Moses is supplying all the information, as he's deliberately creating instability. This is why a win against the Knights won't stop this. He creates endless "leaks". We should tell players they need to ditch his agency or they're not in green. I know that's unrealistic, but that's how poisonous the bloke is to clubs. Then the only other thing the media have to do is ring up Ricky.
This x1000. Isaac Moses is a stain.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Who are the other Moses players at the club?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

irvste wrote:Media goes on a mission to find drama when one thing comes out.. Was saying to a mate after the first story that the media would hunt down anything they could make out as drama and sure enough that's what has happened

Actually looks to me like the media has been covering up a lot of this 'hot' mess for a few weeks. Now Moses is probably leaking what is going on. You watch NRL 360 and it's clear they know and have known everything that's been happening but have kept it quiet. If this were another club these blokes wouldn't have kept this stuff quiet.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

gergreg wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:16 pm
irvste wrote:Media goes on a mission to find drama when one thing comes out.. Was saying to a mate after the first story that the media would hunt down anything they could make out as drama and sure enough that's what has happened

Actually looks to me like the media has been covering up a lot of this 'hot' mess for a few weeks. Now Moses is probably leaking what is going on. You watch NRL 360 and it's clear they know and have known everything that's been happening but have kept it quiet. If this were another club these blokes wouldn't have kept this stuff quiet.
Yep you nailed it.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It's been awhile now since we made the headlines for our off field stuff, and the first point of discussion on NRL 360 for two nights in a row due to controversy. It's happened quick. We are starting to resemble the West Tigers, Broncos, and Canterbury - who are the masters of this, with players unhappy, players wanting to leave, the co-captain standing down, coach versus players etc. Throw in wives criticising coaches on social media.

We are better than this. Hope the excess outside noise binds the players closer and they all play angry and take it out on the Knights this weekend.

The journalists have also thrown petrol into the flames by not accurately reporting events. As for Isaac Moses, he can @#$ off.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not sure there has been a big media cover up or leaks happening here.

Weeks ago, Stuart publicly said in an interview that Hodgson was overplaying his hand in attack (his words).

Hardly seems like a cover up or leaks. It's as public as it gets. :lol:
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Where's all this Isaac Moses stuff coming from? Was he mentioned as a source somewhere or is it just an assumption?
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

The irony here is that in their pre season preview, NRL.com had a few of their journalists make a wild prediction and one of them said Tom Starling may be on the move at some point-despite only just inking a two year extension. I thought that was silly but then I remembered what happened with Sezer. Whoever is making these early calls with regards to retention has got to work on their people skills. Aidan took it like a champ. Hodgo? Not so much.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders need to part ways with Moses?

That’s so anti biblical.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Next week

Hodgson branching out

Hodgson sidestepping the tough questions

It's been a controversial fortnight for the Raiders number 9. This week Hodsgon has branched out as a way to escape the pressure. We can exclusively reveal Josh has been seen in the Botannical Gardens planting trees.

He was seen driving a Ford Bronco, with a Mack Truck Bulldog ornament on the bonnett. Based on this, it looks like the Brisbane and Cantebury sides are still on the hunt.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Reading between all of the sensationalist rubbish in the press, it looks like Ricky had a hard conversation with Hodgson and told him he was being dropped to the bench against the Cowboys. Hodgson did not take that news well, conversation became agitated and Hodgson looks to have come to the conclusion that if he could not make the starting team he could not be a club captain.

A spur of the moment decision made in the emotion of the moment - never a good way to make decisions. A better way to go about it is the more measured, okay let me prove you wrong and show why I am a club captain - by fighting my way back into the number 9.

I don't believe Ricky was leaking info to NRL360 and whilst he and Kenty have a close friendship they have always shown themselves to be very careful in this regard. The fact that on the second night the journos were stating that Ricky would not discuss the reasons behind Hodgson standing down as captain makes me think it played out as above and again shows Ricky always protects his players.

As for Isaac Moses............
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 5, 2021, 10:02 pm Who are the other Moses players at the club?
Cove Agency's website is being rebuilt. LinkedIn gives no info.

Looking at their FB page, it appears to be Hodgson and Semi Valevai. I didn't scroll to the very end to see if there was any other Raider they were promoting in some way.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Sandor Earl was spot on about this place.
I’m convinced Q is one of the players. Cant figure out which one
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Anyone saying Croker hasn’t copped it on social media has ignored the Greenhouse forum the last decade. The poor bloke has copped it here the entirety of his career, even when he’s played well! And yes, the players actually do **** read this forum, I have it on very good authority.

Sandor Earl was spot on about this place.
I’m convinced Q is one of the players. Cant figure out which one
Who's had the most concussions?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.