Knights 13+
9%

Total votes: 11

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Game Day

Post by Wiki Special »

We were ordinary yesterday and lost to an ordinary team. We are losing in all the effort areas that helped us become a top 4 side in 2019-20. The loss of John Bateman is a huge contributing factor to struggling in those areas, in my opinion.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:Honestly, I probably would’ve taken 30-16 before the game started, the effort has been there
Even better, 24-16!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Total pie in the sky **** this so take with a grain of salt, but if you wanted to try and apply some kind of fix to it this season, I was thinking perhaps you could identify 9-12 players who need to lift their base levels, drag them out of first grade (calculated, with depth and injury permitting) three at a time, and put them on an intense 2-3 week bootcamp, then rotate.

Reasoning being that it's not really making a difference who's in or out of the side, so you roll the dice for the games you've taken players out for, hoping that you can jag enough wins to still remain a feasible chance of making the 8 at the back end (i.e. a late surge could still get you there), and becoming stronger each time a rotation is completed.

That could be enough to rectify some parts, I don't know exactly, but reality is it'd be a very drastic step in a salvage op attempt during the season, and would never happen - especially because the footballing and coaching staff aren't going to admit that they haven't got it right in the pre-season.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
Rickmando wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:58 pm
Aero wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:55 pm
Mr Squiggle wrote:No effort at all today. This is a side not in it for each other and not in it for the coach.

Ricky's got a side with Internationals, a Dally M player of the year and he's on track to finish in the bottom four. At this point you wouldn't likely get a worse performance with no coach.
It's because our internationals and Dally M player of the year are resting on their reputations rather than proving their worth on the field

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It’s deck chairs/titanic stuff - the ship is sinking.

Rick has to go... but who at the club has the Steedens to make the call???
Rick is the guy in charge of making said call! :lol:
Unless ol Bonehead wakes from the crypt keepers tomb, we're going to be sticking solid for a little while yet
Last I heard Bonehead was stacking on a blue down at the Royal Queanbeyan because they’d overcooked his schnitty again.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
Botman wrote:
Rickmando wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:58 pm
Aero wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:55 pm
Mr Squiggle wrote:No effort at all today. This is a side not in it for each other and not in it for the coach.

Ricky's got a side with Internationals, a Dally M player of the year and he's on track to finish in the bottom four. At this point you wouldn't likely get a worse performance with no coach.
It's because our internationals and Dally M player of the year are resting on their reputations rather than proving their worth on the field

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It’s deck chairs/titanic stuff - the ship is sinking.

Rick has to go... but who at the club has the Steedens to make the call???
Rick is the guy in charge of making said call! Image
Unless ol Bonehead wakes from the crypt keepers tomb, we're going to be sticking solid for a little while yet
Last I heard Bonehead was stacking on a blue down at the Royal Queanbeyan because they’d overcooked his schnitty again.
leave me out of it

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 9, 2021, 1:07 am I'd say our squad is unbalanced, undertrained, underconfident now, and too old and too slow. Every player needs to be at least one of fast, strong or tall. Most of our blokes are lucky to satisfy one of those criteria, and they're not even smart to make up for it. Look at the Panthers, they almost all get a 2 out of 3 (except Liam Martin...)

enough.
100%. And even Liam Martin makes up for it by running like an absolute maniac.

As others have posted, Rapa is probably our best player at the moment which probably says more about how everyone else is performing. A big part of why he stands out is he seems to be the only one having a real red hot go. Our hyped forward pack seems like they're in quicksand.

Unfortunately footballing nous alone isn't enough these days and if you're not blessed with the above physical attributes you are a long way behind the 8 ball.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: May 9, 2021, 7:45 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:38 pm Is fitness something you set in the off-season and maintain through the season or is it possible to step it up mid-season (like now). If Ricky arrived at the same conclusion as you have, is there anything he can do about it now or has that ship sailed for 2021?
Very, very hard to dramatically improve conditioning mid season simply because of the need to be relatively fresh for game day, peak for the game and then have a day or two lighter recovery. To get the volume of work done needed to really step up fitness you'd be going into game day fatigued- which dramatically increases risk of soft tissue injuries + obvious negatively impacts game day performance.

Season is a tough, long slog that often players lose a couple of kgs at the end of it simply becase for the reasons outlined above and managing niggles and fatigue, they can't even get in to the gym often/hard enough to maintain all that strength they added during the off season when they could just train to their hearts content without the match days to freshen up for-take a breating- then recover.

The exception would be people who have been out injured can pick up match fitness in a few weeks, but that's a separate circumstance coming from a low base back to "good enough".
Thanks BnM and Bay53 - I thought that might be the case but appreciate the explanation. I can see the role of a fitness coach is pretty important. Others have questioned Papas boxing prep. To be honest I wasn’t fussed but in this context about how important RL specific fitness and prep is I don’t think it was a smart move.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
BadnMean wrote: May 9, 2021, 7:45 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:38 pm Is fitness something you set in the off-season and maintain through the season or is it possible to step it up mid-season (like now). If Ricky arrived at the same conclusion as you have, is there anything he can do about it now or has that ship sailed for 2021?
Very, very hard to dramatically improve conditioning mid season simply because of the need to be relatively fresh for game day, peak for the game and then have a day or two lighter recovery. To get the volume of work done needed to really step up fitness you'd be going into game day fatigued- which dramatically increases risk of soft tissue injuries + obvious negatively impacts game day performance.

Season is a tough, long slog that often players lose a couple of kgs at the end of it simply becase for the reasons outlined above and managing niggles and fatigue, they can't even get in to the gym often/hard enough to maintain all that strength they added during the off season when they could just train to their hearts content without the match days to freshen up for-take a breating- then recover.

The exception would be people who have been out injured can pick up match fitness in a few weeks, but that's a separate circumstance coming from a low base back to "good enough".
Thanks BnM and Bay53 - I thought that might be the case but appreciate the explanation. I can see the role of a fitness coach is pretty important. Others have questioned Papas boxing prep. To be honest I wasn’t fussed but in this context about how important RL specific fitness and prep is I don’t think it was a smart move.
The only issue is he bounced from Qld to boxing into the preseason

He's well ahead of the rest of the team in terms of workload was looking really burnt out.

He had a better game yesterday though, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets rested again before the season is done

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JAYCEE
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: TERRY CAMPESE

Raiders v Knights

Post by JAYCEE »

Am I the only one dismayed when the Raiders ran out for the second half with only their second level forward pack when clearly the Knights would have been fired up by their coach after the first half drubbing. Surely the answer was to initially field their strongest team to counter the expected fired up opposition. As a result the Knights seized the upper hand and the Raiders never fully recovered. A coaching error?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders v Knights

Post by The Nickman »

If only there was a raiders v knights game day thread you could talk about this in!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Papalli and Tapine have been the least of our problems...
When motivated, both are a cut above everyone in our pack.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: May 9, 2021, 10:02 am Papalli and Tapine have been the least of our problems...
When motivated, both are a cut above everyone in our pack.
The team should feel bad for Papa after the effort he put into this game.

In terms of effort, I don't think you need to worry about Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Young, Whitehead, Starling from the pack
Disappointed with Guler and CHN yesterday.

Besides being stripped at the end, it was one of Bailey's better games.

Love the energy Rapana brings.

Rest of the backline came up short when it mattered.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Raiders v Knights

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:If only there was a raiders v knights game day thread you could talk about this in!
It might have got lost amongst all the individual player threads
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The worst part was seeing it coming. Loud and clear. It was so obvious.

And still nothing could be done to stop it.

I walked out of the Raiders club I was watching it at when the Knights scored to go ahead. I knew we wouldn't save it. Everything feels so numb right now.

That said, I will enjoy Papa on the run and kicking the ball for a while.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's almost like the playing group thought about 'peaking for the finals again'. They've got it horribly wrong with the fitness. Disappointingly Ricky is on the games committee so should be ahead of other coaches in preparing the team for the rules. I would normally suggest that instead of ball work or video work they get absolutely flogged with fitness to get them up to the standard of most other teams - because we are clearly way off the pace but maybe afghtk approach is better - doing it on a rotation.

And for **** suck get Havili off the bench if you're not going to use him. We are effectively playing with a 16 man squad every week - even when a player is ruled out for the match. Listen to Tapine's wife you stubborn bastard.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

My guess is that we’re not necessarily any more fit or less fit than the majority of teams in the comp.

What I can see we aren’t doing is..... we are not tiring out the opposition through ball movement.

Fast and straight hit ups which have been successful for us over the last few years, just doesn’t cut the mustard under the current rule changes.

We need to move the ball around a lot more to tire the opposition but also give us multiple points to attack through. We shift the ball left and right much less than the successful teams.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

2017 feels

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

We've finished the round in 12th. If Chad Townsend could kick we'd probably be bottom 4 now. Jesus H Christ
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

MrMilk wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:05 pm We've finished the round in 12th. If Chad Townsend could kick we'd probably be bottom 4 now. Jesus H Christ
it's bizarre. We've gone from being ahead/competitive against Penrith to this... in 4 weeks
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by lomax »

MrMilk wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:05 pm We've finished the round in 12th. If Chad Townsend could kick we'd probably be bottom 4 now. Jesus H Christ
There lies the truth . One Townsend goal which he should have got . We would be equal last at round 9.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Boomercm wrote: May 10, 2021, 12:01 am
it's bizarre. We've gone from being ahead/competitive against Penrith to this... in 4 weeks
I wonder which player we lost when we were ahead against Penrith, who hasn't played since, and we are yet to win a game without him. Seems coincidental.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: May 10, 2021, 12:29 pm
Boomercm wrote: May 10, 2021, 12:01 am
I wonder which player we lost when we were ahead against Penrith, who hasn't played since, and we are yet to win a game without him. Seems coincidental.
Hahahaha indeed
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

12. Canberra Raiders (11)

Canberra are probably the biggest disappointment this year. They've gone from a stout defensive side that would make you work for everything back to trying to beat everyone 24-22. I know they've got issues and it must be hard, but the Raiders I previewed at the start of the year wouldn't have let a 16-0 lead go against the Knights. Something's changed and I think they're done.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/10/sow ... s-exposed/

PLAY OF THE WEEK: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... simonsson/