Saturday 8 May, 3:00pm
Equex Centre, Wagga Wagga
Gates open: 10:45am
Women’s Country Championship: Riverina V Newcastle-Maitland, 11:00am
NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights, 12:40pm
Tickets: Sold out.
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Partly cloudy. The chance of a fog in the early morning. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 8 Max 22

The Raiders travel to Wagga Wagga for a Round 9 clash with the Newcastle Knights. It is already a must win.

Last round: 2021 Round 8. South Sydney Rabbitohs 34 - Canberra Raiders 20. The Raiders came to play. They were disrupted by injury. There were players who were on notice. There were players who had effectively been dropped. And the team that took the park certainly responded. Coach Ricky Stuart often says that the "effort is always there". But to be frank, in recent weeks, it hasn't been consistently there across the park. The effort was there last Thursday night. There was intent in defence. There was vigour in attack. But ultimately, the Raiders were beaten by a better team. And they've now lost four in a row.

More on Round 8: As I saw it

Team news: Josh Papalii makes his return to the Canberra side at starting prop, after being rested last week. Ryan James makes way, dropping to the reserves list. Raiders halfback George Williams has been named at halfback, after he was a late withdrawal last week, due to hamstring problem in the warm up. He's passed a fitness test, but Sam Williams is on standby on the reserves list. Sebastian Kris (ankle) has also passed a fitness test. Return dates for co-captains Jarrod Croker (shoulder) and Josh Hodgson (calf) have been pushed back.

For the Knights, Phoenix Crossland replaces Blake Green (ribs) in the halves, while Hymel Hunt (hamstring) is back on the wing. Starford To'a drops to the reserves list. Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder) and Tex Hoy (hamstring) have been included on the extended bench.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Ryan James and Dunamis Lui from their squad on Friday afternoon, leaving Sam Williams and Matt Timoko on the reserves list. Meanwhile, Knights winger Hymel Hunt (hamstring) was ruled out and he has been replaced by Staford To'a. Gehamat Shibasaki added to the Newcastle reserves. Tex Hoy and Josh King were omitted from the squad.

History: Canberra has a good overall record against Newcastle, winning 28 of 51 games, with two draws. The Raiders have won five and drawn one match in the last 10 clashes. In 2017, the Raiders suffered an embarrassing 34-20 loss in Round 10 at Hunter Stadium - to a team that would win just five matches all season. Canberra turned it around at home, winning 46-28 in Round 25. By then, the season was pretty much over for the Green Machine. In Round 2 of 2018, the Raiders suffered an awful, last gasp 30-28 loss to the Knights at home. But in 2019, it was a much different Green Machine that took out the Round 3 clash at Canberra Stadium, 17-10. In 2020, the Raiders suffered a disappointing 34-18 loss to Newcastle, in a Round 4 home game transferred to Campbelltown. The two teams have never met at Wagga before.

2020 Round 4: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: Raiders: WLLLl
Knights: LLWLL

Both teams have won just once in their past five games. The Knights last won against the Sharks (26-22) in Round 5. They are coming off back to back losses to the Panthers (24-6) and Roosters (38-4). The Raiders have lost to the Panthers (30-10), Eels (35-10), Cowboys (26-24) and Rabbitohs (34-20) in their four game losing streak.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.50 favourites, while the Knights are paying $2.60. The Knights have a 6.0 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: Both these teams have a 3 and 5 record and are separated on the ladder only on points differential.

The Knights have the second highest completion rate in the competition, and the lowest error count. Not that it's helping their attack much. It's not translating into possession share. Only the Tigers, Broncos and Bulldogs have scored fewer tries than Newcastle. The Raiders are in the top four teams for errors.

Raiders winger Jordan Rapana is now among the top five try scorers this year with eight, behind only Brett Morris (11), David Fifita (9) and Maika Sivo (9). He also ranks fifth in the competition for tackle breaks. Newcastle hooker Jayden Brailey has made more tackles than any player in the league (426). Meanwhile, Knights - and former Raiders - forward Mitch Barnett ranks first for missed tackles (32) and equal third for ineffective tackles (16).

2021 Season record: Raiders 3 and 5 (9th, -28)
Knights 3 and 5 (11th, -67)

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 7th on tries scored
Knights 17 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 23 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 7th on fewest tries conceded
Knights 26 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 12th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Knights 48 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 76 per cent, Knights 81 per cent

Running: Raiders 1547 running metres from 174 runs (12 dummy half runs), 162 kick return metres, 557 post contact metres per match
Knights 1617 running metres from 185 runs (8 dummy half runs), 166 kick return metres, 520 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Knights 26 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Knights 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Knights 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 8, Knights 11 per match

Kicking: Raiders 569 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Knights 626 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 359 made, 30 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Knights 377 made, 25 missed, 14 ineffective per match, 91 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1535, Knights 1560 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Knights 9 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Knights 2 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Knights 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Caleb Aekins and Kalyn Ponga: Caleb Aekins has been doing a pretty good job in deputising for the injured Raiders fullback Charzne Nicoll-Klokstad in the past three weeks. His strength is his running and he provides plenty of metres. It is a particularly tough match up for him this week though. Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga has only made four appearances himself this year, after missing the first month of the season due to shoulder surgery. His numbers, however, already show how dangerous he is with the ball in hand. The Raiders are going to really have to watch him.

Josh Papalii and David Klemmer: They might not face each other directly but they are the senior props at their clubs. Josh Papalii has been below his best in 2021, no doubt, but he's still been one of the Raiders' best forwards. Ricky Stuart rested him last week, with the aim of bringing the "old Papa" back. This week, Papa is straight back into the starting team - and he wins the match-up against either of the Knights' starting prop forwards for mine.

Tom Starling and Jayden Brailey: Tom Starling has had six appearances in 2021, but has only started the last two weeks - while Josh Hodgson has been on the sidelines with a calf injury. He averaged just over 20 minutes in his games off the bench, and played only five minutes in one of those games. Once you take that into account, his numbers stack up pretty well against Knights hooker Jayden Brailey.

My tip: The Raiders are clear favourites in this match - but I'm not sure it is all that clear. The stats suggest that the Raiders have a slight advantage, but in my view, this is a match that is up for grabs. Both teams are struggling on the field.

There is clearly unrest in the Canberra camp, which no doubt comes with big name players being dropped - or effectively dropped - and a four game losing streak. This week, it's been revealed that half George Williams is struggling with homesickness and raised the possibility of a release with the club. It's also been revealed that Josh Hodgson stood himself down as skipper two weeks ago - with Elliott Whitehead now taking his place as co-captain. Both Williams and Hodgson have confirmed their commitment to the club. But it hasn't been a great week for the Green Machine.

I'm hoping that we see the Raiders respond they way that they did in the first half last week - and can put in an 80 minute performance. And if they cannot produce a win, we could be in for a very long season. I can't say I'm tipping with any confidence... but I'll go with the Raiders by two.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead: "We can't leave it too much longer. We have to get back to winning ways and hopefully that's against Newcastle. The boys can take a few positives out of that game - Souths are up there in the competition at the moment and I thought we pushed them. At times I thought we had the better of them. Hopefully we can get back to playing 80 minutes and not having little patches here and there."

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Sam Williams
20. Matthew Timoko

Injury/Suspension
Josh Hodgson, Calf, (Rd 10-11)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Rd 11-12)
Albert Hopoate, Shoulder (Rd 11-13)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Rd 15-16)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps tendon (Rd 20-22)

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Brayden Musgrove
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
19. Starford Toa
6. Kurt Mann
7. Phoenix Crossland
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
17. Brodie Jones
18. Pasami Saulo

18. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
22. Gehamat Shibasaki

Injury/Suspension
Hymel Hunt, Hamstring (TBA)
Edrick Lee, Foot (Rd 10)
Blake Green, Ribs (Rd 12)
Bailey Hodgson, Knee (Rd 13)
Mitchell Pearce, Pectoral (Rd 14-16)
Jirah Momoisea, Achilles (Indefinite)
Chris Randall, Wrist (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Adam Gee
Touch judges: Phil Henderson, Wyatt Raymond
Video referee: Henry Perenara

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersKnights

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Remember this day, the day that the boys bled green until their sphincters exploded, and restored faith in humanity
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!💚💚💚
Raiders by 8🙌🏾🙌🏾
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We win this..

I can feel it in my water.

Easy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bloody early time to be up to get ready to go to a home game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Call of the day belongs to my girlfriend - a Raiders fan and member who is coming to the game today.

I am in the shower and she asks me - who are we playing today??

But in some ways I am jealous. She hasn’t spent the past 9 days worrying about what happens if Ponga shifts left, whether they will be undermanned with Crossland in instead of Green, will Best terrorise us again.

Would be nice to live like that sometimes!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:38 am Call of the day belongs to my girlfriend - a Raiders fan and member who is coming to the game today.

I am in the shower and she asks me - who are we playing today??

But in some ways I am jealous. She hasn’t spent the past 9 days worrying about what happens if Ponga shifts left, whether they will be undermanned with Crossland in instead of Green, will Best terrorise us again.

Would be nice to live like that sometimes!!
My wife’s the same Bay. But she’s even less interested. All I get from her is”what time do you need the tv”
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My interest in the game of rugby league has never been lower.

It's nothing to do with our poor form or off field issues, or the inept officialdom or anything.

It's just that over recent months I've been confronted with difficult personal circumstances and health issues. I've received threats of violence, betrayal and blackmail.

I've received personal attacks had friendships end, and others questioned. People have rejected me, abandonded me when I need them, made me question myself and undermined my integrity.

I'm a shell of the person I used to be, and nothing like the man I want to be.

My future is uncertain.

So yeah, I'm not at all worried about what side Ponga runs at or even if we win.

I envy you Sean. I wish I could have that level of interest in the Raiders. Or anything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:My interest in the game of rugby league has never been lower.

It's nothing to do with our poor form or off field issues, or the inept officialdom or anything.

It's just that over recent months I've been confronted with difficult personal circumstances and health issues. I've received threats of violence, betrayal and blackmail.

I've received personal attacks had friendships end, and others questioned. People have rejected me, abandonded me when I need them, made me question myself and undermined my integrity.

My future is uncertain.

So yeah, I'm not at all worried about what side Ponga runs at or even if we win.

I envy you Sean. I wish I could have that level of interest in the Raiders. Or anything.

Hey dubs, message me if you need to chat. I came in here to post about how crap this game was going to be, but this puts things in perspective.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:

My future is uncertain.

Hey dubs, message me if you need to chat. I came in here to post about how crap this game was going to be, but this puts things in perspective.
X2. Some things are bigger than a game of Football
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2021, 10:34 am
The Nickman wrote:

My future is uncertain.

All the best Dubbs. Just be careful. Nickman can get a bit huggy.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Looking forward to the game today. After so much off field drama there's nothing like seeing the Green Machine play some footy to take your mind off it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 10:44 am Looking forward to the game today. After so much off field drama there's nothing like seeing the Green Machine play some footy to take your mind off it.
Correct NR..

And with all that’s going on you’d expect the boys FIRED UP !!!!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 10:42 am
The Nickman wrote:

My future is uncertain.

Loves ya dubs.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Get around him shaggers.
This place is woke.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Go the Milk today,we got this boys :cmon .
Dubby, chin up mate I hope things get better. We've all been through crap I can assure you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

My future is uncertain.

That was only because you promised me beer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks boys.

And go you Raiders!

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Do it for dubby you pack of absolute *****!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Sending you interweb hugs and kisses Dubs, you want me to take anyone out for you shagger?
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The Nickman wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:21 am Do it for dubby you pack of absolute ****!
YEAH ***** !!!
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:Sending you interweb hugs and kisses Dubs, you want me to take anyone out for you shagger?
Yeah, take me out for cans at your shed you old dog. Laurie Daley clone.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:Do it for dubby you pack of absolute ****!
Do it for Fergus!! Do it for Gangers! Do it for Fui! Do it for Pigman.....well maybe not Pigman but go school!

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:18 am
Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

My future is uncertain.

That was only because you promised me beer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chicken and egg scenario really.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:
Do it for Fergus!! Do it for Gangers! Do it for Fui! Do it for Pigman.....well maybe not Pigman but go school!

if you were here dubs you'd get a hug and not so gentle slap on the backside

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Game Day

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

dubby wrote:

Fire up lads! May I propose this Wagga fixture be forever known as the Dub Cup!

**Edit** Dammit, I realised I unintentionally posted a Knights gif. I’ve failed the thread
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fui, that is gold.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:
dubby wrote:

if you were here dubs you'd get a hug and not so gentle slap on the backside

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Promise?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

**Edit** Dammit, I realised I unintentionally posted a Knights gif. I’ve failed the thread
ImageImageImage
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The smell of victory is in the air
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I guess our hope of a smoke screen and James coming back into the side is gone... not sure what he, or Lui for that matter, has done to be dropped to reserves while Young has been stinking it up for weeks and still gets a spot...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I hope all the boys go hard for dubby today too
Dont delete this GE
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights. Kick off is at 3pm... and we'll have live score right here. Please add in your own commentary during the game.

These are the latest squads. The Raiders are 1-17, still waiting on confirmation of the 18th man.

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Joseph Tapine

20. Matthew Timoko

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
19. Starford Toa
3. Enari Tuala
4. Bradman Best
5. Brayden Musgrove
6. Kurt Mann
7. Phoenix Crossland
8. David Klemmer
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
18. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitch Barnett

13. Connor Watson
14. Sauaso Sue
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Brodie Jones

22. Gehamat Shibasaki
Last edited by The Greenhouse on May 8, 2021, 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Josh Papalii looking very determined in the sheds.
We need him to really be our leader today.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN