What does our next rebuild look like?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: What does our next rebuild look like?

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Sandow might have been a little tongue in cheek
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by lomax »

Our rebuild should start with 2 key signatures (none of which are players).
New CEO Frank Ponissi
Consultant of Football Craig Bellamy
Throw the cheque book at them.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Can we revisit this one please?

For mine aside from Wighton and Papa I am struggling to designate that many players with “indispensable” status.

Aside from our very green host of outside backs we have a collection of young underperforming forwards (Hors, Guler, Hudson) and a number of ageing clubmen (Whitehead, Hodgson, Sia, Rapa, Croker, Lui, Havili, Williams).

Many of the clubmen above have expiring contracts and the Croker and Hodgson dramas are well documented.

I am keen to get cracking on the rebuild frankly. Even someone like Whitehead shouldn’t be off limits.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How did Wighton get a spot?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2021, 11:05 pm How did Wighton get a spot?
State of Origin, Australia, Dally M, Clive Churchill medallist. Still in his prime.

He might be down on form but let’s not pretend he still isn’t one of (only) viable attacking weapons.
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I like Jack - always have, and have defended him plenty on here throughout the years (although never an advocate of him moving to the halves). He flat out sucks right now though, regardless of the issues we have in the team. Nowhere near earning his pay or his status. We need him to step up, as much as possible given the constraints in our situation, and he isn't.

With all five-eighths in the comp fit, he'd be flat out battling to make the top six amongst them tbh. A reserve grade half warming the seat cops most of the blame tonight because he couldn't win us the game, while the big name guy beside him earning at least three times more as the first stringer his pay phones it in all game and gets off the hook relatively. I hardly call that indispensable
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 19, 2021, 11:03 pm Can we revisit this one please?

For mine aside from Wighton and Papa I am struggling to designate that many players with “indispensable” status.

Aside from our very green host of outside backs we have a collection of young underperforming forwards (Hors, Guler, Hudson) and a number of ageing clubmen (Whitehead, Hodgson, Sia, Rapa, Croker, Lui, Havili, Williams).

Many of the clubmen above have expiring contracts and the Croker and Hodgson dramas are well documented.

I am keen to get cracking on the rebuild frankly. Even someone like Whitehead shouldn’t be off limits.
I agree Micky. Obviously you don’t move on players if there aren’t refresh options available so I don’t see a total overhaul of that magnitude but I agree we need to be ruthless in who we are willing to cut
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

At this point I don't care how we rebuild but we need ball playing bad
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

New Coach.
That’s how to kick off the rebuild.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What will it look like?

****. That’s what.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

What does our next rebuild look like?

Post by LastRaider »

Yep GreenMachine a new coach is exactly where we need to start.

What I don’t get though is how tight on the cap we are! Papa is our best player and he is on $650k per season, so who is chewing up all this cap space
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Rebuild minus Ricky Stuart
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Can everyone on here who says it’s time for a new coach please list their preferred alternative coach, their CV, and what stature in the game they have to commence a quality rebuild and attract a new roster in a town that’s spent nearly 40 years struggling to attract out of town talent?
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Coastalraider wrote: June 20, 2021, 4:40 pm Can everyone on here who says it’s time for a new coach please list their preferred alternative coach, their CV, and what stature in the game they have to commence a quality rebuild and attract a new roster in a town that’s spent nearly 40 years struggling to attract out of town talent?
Walker brothers.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Mr Squiggle wrote: June 20, 2021, 5:09 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 20, 2021, 4:40 pm Can everyone on here who says it’s time for a new coach please list their preferred alternative coach, their CV, and what stature in the game they have to commence a quality rebuild and attract a new roster in a town that’s spent nearly 40 years struggling to attract out of town talent?
Walker brothers.
Had some interesting concepts 7 years ago, and haven’t won a state title since. Have never coached at NRL level. Have next to no pulling power, like a Fitzy type rookie coach does via the roosters and blues setups.

Next.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not this one again!

I'm not advocating for a change in coach, even though there's probably a case to do so. The case is probably stronger after last night. I respect what the coach has done, but we've now twice fallen in a hole after a short period of success. That's three holes in eight years. The coach has done great things for the community, linked the club again to the community and rebuilt the culture. But ultimately, there has been no premiership, and it's been eight years. The reason I'm not really advocating a change is that I know that's completely pointless. The Raiders will do what they will, as there is not much in the way of accountability mechanisms.

However if the Raiders were to change, you don't say... 'oh, there's no one else available'. There are lots of coaches available... and if the Raiders really wanted to, they could target elite coaches. They could easily do a professional search for a coach that's a good fit. (The fans don't need to do the headhunting, the headhunters even get the CVs!) They have the financial capability to do so.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, that’s a ridiculous cop out from coastal.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The fans are frustrated. This was our window. We lost that. We are seeing the side not improve, but make the same mistakes all the time. It's insane repeating the same process game after game, year after year, without change. We do recognise the good things that Ricky does for the community, and in the past - when he was a player and when he took us to the GF and 2 prelims, but ultimately he has failed. In any elite organisation, such as the Roosters, Melbourne, he would be turfed. As our forum members have repeatedly pointed out, you usually don't get three rebuilds. And it's not going to get better. Ricky can have another role in the club, but it's time to hand over the coaching reins to someone else. A different voice.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Coastal’s position is fine.

You’re not pulling a coach with the recognition to attract players out of the general populace. There’s a finite number and they’re publicly visible. It’s perfectly reasonable in the circumstance to ask who you replace with who is an upgrade.

You only get off naming if you’re advocating bringing someone with no profile in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regardless of how undesirable our situation may seem, its a 1/16 job and there is probably 100+ people aspiring to do it
There is a lot of demand and almost no supply, we'll not lack for quality candidates if we decided to actually do a proper coaching search and not just jam in some old boy for the job, which is usual MO.

There is no reason for us to hang on to a coach we dont think can get the job done out of fear for hiring someone worse.
That's **** loser talk
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Our next rebuild won’t be any different than all the previous rebuilds, and the result will be the same…
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: There is no reason for us to hang on to a coach we dont think can get the job done out of fear for hiring someone worse.
That's **** loser talk
On the contrary, there’s no need to fire a coach who has 80% of what you need if you don’t have someone to replace with reasonable expectation of improvement.

If there’s so much quality sitting in the wings, why are there so many trash coaches being held for so long? When was the last time a new coach came in and elevated a team to premiership threat?

Oh, and Mary McGregor stay the hell away from my team.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The only coach I'd throw the bank at would be Bellamy, and he ain't coming here - so for all his flaws, Rocky is the best we've got at the moment.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Exactly Azza. It’s Bellamy then freakin’ daylight.

Then there’s Robinson who’s pretty good, but probably clubs baby seals.

Then there’s some more daylight.

A few chumps who half know what they’re doing like Cleary, Bennett, Hasler, Stuart, Griffin but go through lengthy phases of being **** or out-coached.

Some more daylight.

Then the rest who need to be completely struck in the **** with a rainbow to see any success like Barrett, Walters.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If no good coaches are ever going to be produced again then we may as well shut up shop and call it a day. Everyone has to start somewhere. There was a time when Bellamy was a no name, as was Robinson, Hasler, Bennett. Any great coach.

Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there's no one available because you can't land one is indeed loser talk. If you can't land someone in that very narrow band, a difficult task at the best of times, go out and get the best you can find. The next great coaches are waiting to be given their chance - it's our job to identify them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Correct, there is absolutely needle moving great coaches waiting to be given a shot.
We say there are no Bellemy's or Robinson's or Bennetts out there... well guess what, at some point they were nobodies waiting to get a shot too.
That's how this **** works.

It's up to clubs to find them, of all the sports i watch, i think NRL teams are THE worst at hiring coaches. It's very risk adverse, they tend to go for retreads more than any other code i follow. Mostly failed guys.

You need to identify what you're looking for in a HC, and even more importantly understand what makes a good HC... there are guys out there who can be elite NRL coaches. No doubt whatsoever about that IMO. If we dont think Stuart is the answer (spoiler alert, that's not where the club's decision makers are at, so this it all very moot), then go and swing for the fences

If the club is operating on the premise they cant idenitfy quality candidates so they might as well stay where they are and they're operating in that fear of failure, then that's a disaster and the first step is firing themselves.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wayne Bennett is as effective as Bellamy. I would be happy with Wayne
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Wayne can also stay the hell away from my club.

The chance of replacing Ricky with a Bellamy/Robinson is very small. I think to see another premiership in my lifetime the better bet is an assistant who brings some **** strategy to the team and leaves the bleeding green to Ricky.

I mean if you think you’ve found a diamond, sure. But history tells us that amazing coaches don’t tend to spring up all that often. Bellamy is a special human.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 20, 2021, 8:52 pm Wayne can also stay the hell away from my club.

The chance of replacing Ricky with a Bellamy/Robinson is very small. I think to see another premiership in my lifetime the better bet is an assistant who brings some **** strategy to the team and leaves the bleeding green to Ricky.

I mean if you think you’ve found a diamond, sure. But history tells us that amazing coaches don’t tend to spring up all that often. Bellamy is a special human.

History also tells us that you'll never find the amazing coach if you're not looking for him.
They're out there waiting to be found. Its up to the clubs to find them
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

afgtnk wrote: June 20, 2021, 8:36 pm If no good coaches are ever going to be produced again then we may as well shut up shop and call it a day. Everyone has to start somewhere. There was a time when Bellamy was a no name, as was Robinson, Hasler, Bennett. Any great coach.

Throwing your hands up in the air and saying there's no one available because you can't land one is indeed loser talk. If you can't land someone in that very narrow band, a difficult task at the best of times, go out and get the best you can find. The next great coaches are waiting to be given their chance - it's our job to identify them.
Sure. I get that. But this is the Raiders. I don't feel that sort of astuteness is much within our modus operandi. So in Rocky we trust.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Looks like The Grounds @Braddon
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I’ve said it before but It truly is amazing stuff that a coach gets a 3rd rebuild.

The only time you see anything remotely resembling that kind of responsibility to turn the squad over multiple times is in long term tenures such as Bennetts first Broncos stint and Bellamys current stint.

And those long term tenures are invariably long term because they have been sustained and justified with a fat cabinet full of trophies.

We justify ours on the basis of fleeting , moderate; but ultimately trophyless success . This has seemed to seed a codependency complex in the club and some fans where we fear we may never get back to that level (of still not winning a trophy) - if we move on from Ricky.
Up The Milk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Whatever it looks like, I hope it includes signing a top quality halfback, seeing the return of a fit CNK, getting more speed in the 3/4 line, teaching Guler how to play the ball twice as fast as he currently does and retaining Hodgson to help our transition to a new dummy half in 2023.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 20, 2021, 9:33 pm I’ve said it before but It truly is amazing stuff that a coach gets a 3rd rebuild.

The only time you see anything remotely resembling that kind of responsibility to turn the squad over multiple times is in long term tenures such as Bennetts first Broncos stint and Bellamys current stint.

And those long term tenures are invariably long term because they have been sustained and justified with a fat cabinet full of trophies.

We justify ours on the basis of fleeting , moderate; but ultimately trophyless success . This has seemed to seed a codependency complex in the club and some fans where we fear we may never get back to that level (of still not winning a trophy) - if we move on from Ricky.
As a supporter base, we really need to let go of 2019, it’s brought up far too often on here. The end result is we didn’t win, and that result is never going to change no matter how many “what if’s” we throw at it. We weren’t good enough.

Using how we went in 2019 as a reason to retain a clearly underperforming coach into 2022 and beyond is ludicrous
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 20, 2021, 10:35 pm Whatever it looks like, I hope it includes signing a top quality halfback, seeing the return of a fit CNK, getting more speed in the 3/4 line, teaching Guler how to play the ball twice as fast as he currently does and retaining Hodgson to help our transition to a new dummy half in 2023.
I honestly don't think any of it works without changing our attacking structure/attacking coach. It just looks to me like they make it up as they go along out there, play really simple stuff and hope for some individual brilliance from someone.

Meanwhile, the good teams clearly are well drilled and practice heavily bodies in motions running different lines. It's embarrassing in comparison.