What does our next rebuild look like?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: What does our next rebuild look like?

Post by lomax »

I think we have a good base in our forwards for the rebuild , Emre, Horse, Sutton, CHN, Starling, Huddson are all 25 or younger, the problem is our halves GW Will be back in the UK and Jack will be 29 come the start of season 2022. Our back 5 looks decent if Semi and Kris turn into the player i think they can be.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 6, 2021, 7:35 am Oh boy, can you imagine the off season with nearly 500 NRL players hanging out at Bondi Beach.
I'm thinking reality TV here. This could be huge.
I've even got a Nable promo swirling around the vacuum in my skull.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

lomax wrote:I think we have a good base in our forwards for the rebuild , Emre, Horse, Sutton, CHN, Starling, Huddson are all 25 or younger, the problem is our halves GW Will be back in the UK and Jack will be 29 come the start of season 2022. Our back 5 looks decent if Semi and Kris turn into the player i think they can be.
We should go after Shaun Johnson. He maybe what we need
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Doesn't Johnson hate Canberra
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Deep in our hearts we all know that Johnson, Reynolds, Cleary or anyone of that calibre isn't coming to Canberra. It's nice to dream, to hope, to wonder, but it's not going to happen. Keep speculating though lads, if it nourishes your soul.

Would we even want Johnson? Been in the NRL for an eternity, multiple injuries include ACL, would probably demand massive overs to play here. Has Croker situation written all over it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Odd to make the case that Johnson wouldn't come here because he's too good in one sentence and then **** all over him in the next.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Give Bellamy $5 million…
Per season!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sticky built a side which had great success over the past two years because of the smothering defensive plays. The new rules have changed the tempo of the game and our roster is loaded with middle forwards.

Watching our opponents we seem off the pace in terms of the speed we play the game. We have a power middle forward style game which is not looking suited to the current rules.

We have some young players coming through which have great pace. I don't know that they would be ready for regular FG but I think we have given young players opportunity in the past and should do so again.
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by lomax »

Raiders666 wrote: May 6, 2021, 6:58 pm Doesn't Johnson hate Canberra
not what we need he will be 31 come season 2022 his best is behind him
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Brodie Croft, Mitchell Pearce seem to be the most likely options of what's left. Reynolds maybe.

Keeping GWilly + getting a ball playing FB would be my first preference- can't we move his family out and put them up ala Roosters 7 $BW?

If we lose GWilly and get an organising half I'd be going for the fast FB in Dufty (over Hynes the ball player).

CNK can be the experienced, yards making winger doing Rapa's job just with half the errors. Kris and HSS in the centres. Savage on the other wing. With Dufty + Savage we'd have two genuinely quick players plus Kris who is reputedly one of our fastest currently and HSS so it's upgrades all round in speed stakes. Kris and CNK doing the grunt work. HSS is listed as the same size as Croker already and looks like he'll fill out more like Cotric with another season.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

A War chest with no one to spend it on
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Crazy to think that only a month ago it was an unpopular (but in my view very reasonable) opinion that Croker was a very real and immediate issue to be addressed.

In that very short time it seems as if sentiment has shifted amongst the fans, and that it has become a pretty common opinion to have.

And even crazier that since then the sentiment has permeated the media and even the club by the sounds of it.

If conversations are being had about even Croker within the club, then I have no doubt that a wholesale cleanout of the squad is entirely possible.

Croker, Hodgson, Williams, Rapana, Sia, Lui and Havili making way would be a pretty big refresh.

We have cover in the outside backs and Starling at hooker.

The middle forward departures would probably just bring us to a point where we are nicely covered, rather than oversaturated in that department.

The only departure above which would require an urgent approach to the market would be halfback.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

zim wrote: May 6, 2021, 8:28 pm Odd to make the case that Johnson wouldn't come here because he's too good in one sentence and then **** all over him in the next.
:lol: I was thinking they same thing.

If Shaun Johnson is the answer then you've asked the wrong question.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:38 pm Crazy to think that only a month ago it was an unpopular (but in my view very reasonable) opinion that Croker was a very real and immediate issue to be addressed.

In that very short time it seems as if sentiment has shifted amongst the fans, and that it has become a pretty common opinion to have.

And even crazier that since then the sentiment has permeated the media and even the club by the sounds of it.

If conversations are being had about even Croker within the club, then I have no doubt that a wholesale cleanout of the squad is entirely possible.

Croker, Hodgson, Williams, Rapana, Sia, Lui and Havili making way would be a pretty big refresh.

The middle forward departures would probably just bring us to a point where we are nicely covered, rather than oversaturated in that department.

The only departure above which would require an urgent approach to the market would be halfback.
Also crazy to think he is only four months into his current deal :lol:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:38 pm Crazy to think that only a month ago it was an unpopular (but in my view very reasonable) opinion that Croker was a very real and immediate issue to be addressed.

The head coach should be on that list
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: May 3, 2021, 7:29 pm I think the next era of Raiders football needs a heavy focus on a few key attributes:

- speed... cant not have it anymore, specifically in the back 3. Need it at all three of those spots
- mobility in the middle... think we're on top of this tbh and the way we recruit and the sort of players we go for, i think we'll be fine. Just need to continue there
- tackle breakers on the edge... it's just an easier way to create points
- ball playing fullback... for mine, the second most important thing you need behind a good hooker to win a comp these days
- sticking solid... goes without saying, we need to stick more solidly
- bleeding green... before you pull on the jumper, you should be given a fatal wound... we need to find out firstly if you bleed green, and secondly how long you'll bleed green for
2nded
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

lomax wrote: May 6, 2021, 4:58 pm I think we have a good base in our forwards for the rebuild , Emre, Horse, Sutton, CHN, Starling, Huddson are all 25 or younger, the problem is our halves GW Will be back in the UK and Jack will be 29 come the start of season 2022. Our back 5 looks decent if Semi and Kris turn into the player i think they can be.
Good place to build around
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This is my kinda topic, but lots of waffle.

The options for players off contract in the next 2yrs isnt great. There are a few worth looking at but, a lot of guys unlikely to leave. So we will have to find some guys willing to leave early or find more gems in England.

Also, we dont want the majority of the halves merry-go-round. Big pass on SJ, Taylor, Brooks, Milf, I've seen Widdop and Sezer mentioned. All of are backwards steps. ARey or Moses, but don't think we'd get either.

The starting point is here, we have a good base including a good jrs. We will have a war chest too. So, could be fun.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

There was a lot of reasonable posters who fully recognised that Croker had not been playing up to scratch for some time- and recognised it even last season. It's just we thought he deserved the chance at fixing the shoulder and coming back to see if he could recapture 2019. Quite a few of us said he'd have a month or two to show something and then it might be time to have the conversation.

So there may have been a few vocal posters take a shot even for daring to suggest it a few weeks back- there were quite a few who were just monitoring how he went for signs of hope.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

What does our next rebuild look like?

Post by Danaman137 »

With G Willy and Tarps looking on their way out, I’d ideally roll with a 2022 rd 1 lineup of:

1. Nicho Hynes
2. Xavier Savage
3. Seb Kris
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Semi Valemei/ Bailey Simonsson/ New signing
6. Jack Wighton
7. Adam Reynolds/ Aiden Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Tom Starling
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Neara
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Matt Timoko
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan James
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Brad Schneider
19. Adrian Trevilyan
20. Caleb Esera
21. Harry Rushton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Danaman137 on May 11, 2021, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

When I look at that team it seems decent still. Maybe fullback is even more important for us than halfback

I think as much as CNK offers to our defence, we need to substantially upgrade either fullback or halfback
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

For mine this means, for starters:

- Leave Semi on the wing and give him a decent go.

- Leave Kris in the centres and see if he can make a decent FGer.

- Leave Hudson Young at lock and see if he can show some consistency there

- Only use the likes of Sia, Croker, Havili (and anyone else whose future is in doubt beyond 2021) in the case of injuries. If this includes Rapana despite his decent form, so be it.

- Decide who the middle forwards are and stick with them. We aren't going to keep them all and will probably have to move one or two on as our cap evolves. Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Guler, Hors and James are decent cattle. Pick the odd man out.

- Ruthlessly scour the market for a halfback and some speed in the centres/wing.

- Succession plan for Whitehead. Is there anyone coming through the grades? If not go to market.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are plenty of forwards coming through the grades.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

So... is there any news or indication that we are getting in the hunt for recruits?!?!?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

To be fair the only ones that are in the paper are the ones who are using us to bump their price up

I don't remember seeing anything about Ryan James until it was done

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-TW- wrote: May 14, 2021, 1:24 pm To be fair the only ones that are in the paper are the ones who are using us to bump their price up

I don't remember seeing anything about Ryan James until it was done

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
We dont deal in the media. Not the Raiders style. We normally dont hear anything til its done/ basically done.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

For me we need to do some like this:

1. Hynes (ball player)/ Hoy (ball player and GKer)/ Dufty (speed!)
2. Semi Valemei
3. HSS/ CNK
4. Kris
5. CNK/ HSS/ New Signing
6. Jack
7. Options aren't ideal, Fogerty (GKer), Brooks (OK GKer), Flanno (GKer), Lam, Croft, Johns, Boyd/Sexton
8. Papa
9. Starlo
10. Sutton
11. CHN/ Rushton/ New signing
12. Whitey
13. Young

14. New Signing/ Trevalylin (spelling?)
15. Horse
16. Tapine (He is contracted til 2023, we arent releasing him 3yrs early)
17. Guler
18. James
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think Adrian Trevilyan needs a bit more time to simmer. His fitness levels are still coming up. Maybe another pre-season will sort that out.
Rushton is also still developing. He's shown some good signs but consistency is not there to be starting him. Not an option to start next year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: May 14, 2021, 2:03 pm I think Adrian Trevilyan needs a bit more time to simmer. His fitness levels are still coming up. Maybe another pre-season will sort that out.
Rushton is also still developing. He's shown some good signs but consistency is not there to be starting him. Not an option to start next year.
I agree, but not sure where we are going with those spots otherwise.
Trev is at least the modern styled zippy hooker.
I like the look of Rushton, but you are right, needs more time. That said, 2-3 more months this yr, might be enough.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

A lot can change at their age over the pre-season too. I guess if we're looking at them playing a big part next year, even off the bench, your next thing to look at is the journeyman / utility squad signings so you don't leave yourself short on options.
I think we need a utility anyway with Havili heading out. Will Smith is a good cheap option for hooker, halves and backs. Watson would cost a bit more but would fill in almost like for like in that 13/9.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Blow it up.

We can safely say that the end of 2018 > 2021 rebuild has run its course, and ultimately failed.

We came very close in 2019 with a defensive-minded restructure and the timely injection of Bateman, CNK and Wighton repositioned at 5/8. We weren't perfect, but we seemed refreshed, energised and with a win-at-all-costs mentality.

But we ultimately failed.

And we are completely kidding ourselves if we think that an inferior, older and slower version of the class of 2019 is going to bear fruit for us.

CNK, Tapine, Papa, Wighton, Starling, Hodgson, Valemi, CHN and Sutton will, or should all have a role to play next year.

Croker, Rapana, Havili, Sia thank you for your service, with Whitehead and James wrapping things up at the end of next year I think.

There are some younger players who have serious question marks over them, in particular Young, Guler, Simo and Horsburgh. These guys have alternated between non-existent, unfit and diabolical so far this year. Really, really disappointing.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on May 22, 2021, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 22, 2021, 11:39 pm Blow it up.

We can safely say that the end of 2018 > 2021 rebuild has run its course, and ultimately failed.

We came very close in 2019 with a defensive-minded restructure and the timely injection of Bateman, CNK and Wighton repositioned at 5/8. We weren't perfect, but we seemed refreshed, energised and with a win-at-all-costs mentality.

And we are completely kidding ourselves if we think that an inferior, older and slower version of the class of 2019 is going to bear fruit for us.

CNK, Tapine, Papa, Wighton, Starling, Hodgson, Valemi, CHN and Sutton will, or should all have a role to play next year.

Croker, Rapana, Havili, Sia thank you for your service, with Whitehead and James wrapping things up at the end of next year I think.

There are some young players who have serious question marks over them, in particular Young, Guler and Horsburgh. These guys have alternated between non-existent, unfit and diabolical so far this yer. Really, really disappointing.
Have to agree with you Mickey. What role do you think Ricky should have in 2022? The way we are playing, there's a possibility we won't win another game this year. I don't think he has any idea. We keep on repeating the same mistakes game after game. We have been down this path in 2107-18. Ricky is the USP. Also the game plan is the same week after week w/o adapting for the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 22, 2021, 11:47 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 22, 2021, 11:39 pm Blow it up.

There are some young players who have serious question marks over them, in particular Young, Guler and Horsburgh. These guys have alternated between non-existent, unfit and diabolical so far this yer. Really, really disappointing.
Have to agree with you Mickey. What role do you think Ricky should have in 2022? The way we are playing, there's a possibility we won't win another game this year. I don't think he has any idea. We keep on repeating the same mistakes game after game. We have been down this path in 2107-18. Ricky is the USP. Also the game plan is the same week after week w/o adapting for the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.
I think if this year is wasted and next year starts badly, as a club we will be in a very interesting position.

Ricky will have been here for 9 full seasons at that point, presumably in the midst of a 3rd rebuild - with nothing to show for it.

You do wonder at what point the cycle gets broken.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

There's really no easy answers here. We have one of our top halves pulling the carpet from under us when there is pretty much nobody left on the market for us to make a run at. We then have Croker, Scott and CHN on good money, and if we're calling a spade a spade, not up to NRL standard. All of their deals go into next year and beyond.

Ultimately we're paying the price for letting 2019 get to our heads. As a club we thought we were smarter than we are when JB agitated. He should have been paid, instead we thought we were Melbourne and the culture at the club would pull us through. It hasn't.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Scott and CHN have been arguably our two best performers in back to back weeks
Strange time to be saying they’re not even FG footballers
:lol: