Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by Wiki Special »

Are there any halfbacks we can target out there? And what is George reportedly on?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I blame the Vic Govt for this.

All this came about because they were stuck in hotel quarantine. I have it on good authority that they were stuck in the hotel room and said “what are we going to do?”

Georgey said “Babe, I can think of one thing, why don’t you just lie back and think of England”

So with nothing else to do, they do what comes naturally and 9 months to the day later there is a baby due.

Only problem is they never stopped literally thinking of bloody England!!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If what you say about George Williams and his partner is true. I’m thinking I need to take my wife to a State that’s likely to have a Covid enforced hotel stay.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:30 pm If what you say about George Williams and his partner is true. I’m thinking I need to take my wife to a State that’s likely to have a Covid enforced hotel stay.
Pity the Perth game got moved then.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bay53 wrote:
BJ wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:30 pm If what you say about George Williams and his partner is true. I’m thinking I need to take my wife to a State that’s likely to have a Covid enforced hotel stay.
Surely Wagga is the romance capital of the world.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BJ wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:42 pm
Bay53 wrote:
Surely Wagga is the romance capital of the world.
As someone who went out with someone from Wagga for four years, and now my partner of almost 9 years is coming with me to Wagga tomorrow for the first time, I am not going to touch that one.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Probably unlikely that we will be forced into hotel quarantine in Wagga. The UN convention on human rights specifically states that it is inhumane to keep anyone in Wagga.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bay53 wrote:Probably unlikely that we will be forced into hotel quarantine in Wagga. The UN convention on human rights specifically states that it is inhumane to keep anyone in Wagga.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: May 7, 2021, 7:57 pm His struggles this year are probably not unrelated to the topic at hand, i would think
The fact his outside backs and middles have been dominated all year probably makes it that bit harder to shine also.

He's a very good half imo. We'll struggle to find anyone close to his ability
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Coastalraider wrote:I say we have a little whisper in Adrian Lams ear and say ‘if you want our boy, get us your boy’.

Lachlan Lam now has his path well and truly blocked at the roosters with the emergence of Walker, and Keary to return. That signing would offset Jack’s age and set us up for a number of years to develop him into a long term half. He would come into a team with a Daly M 5/8, and a hooker with finals experience, and an international at fullback. He wouldn’t be required to be the main lynchpin in our spine, allowing him to develop. If he signs with virtually any Sydney team looking for halves he will be required to play a larger role before he is ready.

Get on it Stick.
Visualising this scene gave me a creepy, Rumblestiltskin vibe
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:The transfer fee is the bigger issue. If it happens, it would be twice that the Raiders have paid big transfer fees to English clubs, to sign players to three year contracts... and the players have left a year early.
Can we throw in a Transfer Fee for good measure?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

I think when all’s said and done the new half will be Sam Williams he is under contract and he is knows the Raiders plays and if he gets homesick Cooma not that far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

If he wants out Warrington or wigan should have to pay transfer fee to us....only fair

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

VictorTheViking wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:38 pm If he wants out Warrington or wigan should have to pay transfer fee to us....only fair

The Fair is the place they judge pigs
We have no leverage, we wont be getting any transfer fee back... that's dead money, and don't lose too much sleep over it, it's not money the club needs and the money wouldnt help obtain a replacement or help our on field product at all.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:38 pm If he wants out Warrington or wigan should have to pay transfer fee to us....only fair

The Fair is the place they judge pigs
We have no leverage, we wont be getting any transfer fee back... that's dead money, and don't lose too much sleep over it, it's not money the club needs and the money wouldnt help obtain a replacement or help our on field product at all.
Leave me out of this, ****
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Sam Williams is not the answer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:05 pm Sam Williams is not the answer
I don’t think so either but I’m not convinced the team wouldn’t be better in attack short term with him in the 7.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

While CNK is out, if it gets S Williams in then may be worth trying, as Aekins is a dead set loss. Be a big reshuffle with Jack to fullback though. If we are another month with CNK out I can't see us beating many teams with Aekins back there and misfiring halves though.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

If GWilly does go home, thoughts about shifting Hodgson to half? Even if it's a stop gap for the year or so until we can find someone we want longer term not just a desperate signing?

He seems to have all the right attributes; game control, vision, kicker, good defender. Older legs no doubt but also might resolve in some way the hooker conundrum. There was talk of Melbourne doing the same with Smith in his final year before Hughes burst out as a star. Could be an option if things play out negatively with GWilly??
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: May 10, 2021, 8:11 am If GWilly does go home, thoughts about shifting Hodgson to half? Even if it's a stop gap for the year or so until we can find someone we want longer term not just a desperate signing?

He seems to have all the right attributes; game control, vision, kicker, good defender. Older legs no doubt but also might resolve in some way the hooker conundrum. There was talk of Melbourne doing the same with Smith in his final year before Hughes burst out as a star. Could be an option if things play out negatively with GWilly??
Brad Drew vibes right there...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Bateman commenting on how leaks regarding Raiders players are getting out into the media. We are up you know where without a you know what.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Who is leaking that?’: John Bateman blasts Canberra Raiders, delivers George Williams warning

John Bateman has called out unnamed Raiders officials for leaking information about internal problems and undermining the playing group. Bateman has also urged the club to strongly consider releasing Williams, warning he will not perform to his potential if he does not want to stay.

“He wants to be somewhere else totally different. If he’s not happy, you’re not going to get the best out of him,” Bateman added.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 416716f72e

John Bateman takes aim at Canberra Raiders

John Bateman has leapt to the defence of his former teammates, taking aim at unnamed Canberra officials for undermining the players and urging the club to release homesick halfback George Williams from his deal.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/who-s- ... 57q6f.html
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

You mean we are all wondering how Paul Kent finds out?

I have no idea. None at all.

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

You'd have to be pretty naive to not know how they got leaked.

The bigger question is what the leaker is hoping to achieve by leaking this stuff

mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

not shattered if he leaves, he is not bringing this club a premiership.

Maybe if we still had the 2016 version of Hodgson but we don't.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Ugly reading some of those quotes from Bateman.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

JB doesn’t really have any right to be complaining about stories getting leaked to the media... the whole GF incident was brought on by him when he (without prompt) told the media he needed to do the “best way his family” etc whatever that meant for him.

The media took it from there. Not fussed about the raiders considering it took three weeks for stories around Williams and Hodgson to get released after the club was aware.

How much more enjoyable is footy when your team is winning 😭
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely, John Bateman with no right to make any public comments on any of that after the way he handled himself while at the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

John Bateman has every right to express an opinion. Just as any of you do. His is actually probably more relevant as it comes from a place of proper first hand knowledge of internal issues with the club and clearly still friendships within the group.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:48 am John Bateman has every right to express an opinion. Just as any of you do. His is actually probably more relevant as it comes from a place of proper first hand knowledge of internal issues with the club and clearly still friendships within the group.
Agree that he has a right to an opinion....but his twisted little act last year was all orchestrated by the grub himself Moses. Oh wow look, the same grub Moses who manages (or shadow manages now or whatever it is) Hodgson. The journo should reveal that as well. Easy to talk about unnamed Canberra officials, what about the unnamed grub at the centre of both these? Now there is a story that i would read including how said grub is now banned for filthy grubbiness.

I loved what JB bought to the club but he handled himself like a twat with how he exited. A number of people would share that opinion so lets get hold of a journo from the Bradford Bugle and get them to write a hit job on all his BS antics from last year and his gross alignment with a now banned crook ex manager. It should be a two-way street Mr Bateman.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think it would be fair for the journalist the point out Bateman and Hodgson share the same representation and make note of the history and reputation of that representation.

But if you want an honest, unvarnished opinion based on actual insight and information about the inner workings of the club, to try to figure out what is going on inside this footy team, few are better placed to provide it than JB. Some Raiders fans will always be pissed at JB and yell at him to shut up anytime he utters our clubs name... The journo's couldnt give the faintest **** about the Raiders fans delicate feelings, and JB doesnt care and nor do i. Im interested in hearing his views on it given his unique perspective.
Last edited by Botman on May 10, 2021, 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

So many people suffer from Stickholm Syndrome in this place.

He is garbage. Always has been, always will be.

It's almost like Raiders fans on the whole have accepted mediocrity to the point they would rather "bleed green win loose or drawer" rather than just win.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Lucy wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:38 am So many people suffer from Stickholm Syndrome in this place.

He is garbage. Always has been, always will be.

It's almost like Raiders fans on the whole have accepted mediocrity to the point they would rather "bleed green win loose or drawer" rather than just win.

Who is garbage? Williams?? What **** planet are you on?
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

This is just a typical journo piling in piece to make a story and happens to every club when they struggle.

Look at the crap piled on the broncs and tigers, what we're copping isn't that different apart from the expectations they all had on the Raiders this year.

As for Bateman he is entitled to share his view as he lived it and experienced it. We all know his manager is a scrub and who is to say that he didn't have to revert to damage control during that last year. It's in no players interest to have leaked the crap relating to him, hodge and George.

As far as insiders leaking its obvious Kent and Ricky get along so could have easily been just Kent assuming and getting it right with Hodgo. If anything Kent goes into bat for the Raiders more than any other journo.

It sounds like a broken record but winning kills all this noise. Everyone is disappointed but blowing up everything after 5 straight losses is what puts clubs in cellars, rather than pulling them out.

Don't get me wrong it's obvious there are problems but good luck solving them when everyone has a theory and is chasing shadows!
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: May 10, 2021, 7:30 am
exrefhollywood wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:05 pm Sam Williams is not the answer
I don’t think so either but I’m not convinced the team wouldn’t be better in attack short term with him in the 7.
Sam Williams biggest problem his whole career was drifting out of games when you needed him to step up. Thats not the kind of fix we need right now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.