Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:19 am I promise you now, the GH collective would HATE the Mitchell Pearce era of Raiders football :lol:
Yep, I don't like it already.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:04 am
cat wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:03 pm I have absolutely no respect or time for Mr J Bateman.
The club paid a huge fee to bring him over and he backflipped on a contract.
What kind of example is he giving his daughter?
And he has allowed his dirty manager to continue to screw the club
The example and lesson he's giving his daughter is to understand the business your in and how that business treats it's employee's, and act accordingly in your own best interests. Always do what is in your heart and what you feel is best for your family.

Very big of you to highlight this and what a wonderful example he's setting for his daughter.
Yeah Im with Pig on this one. I said the same thing to my manage the other day. You can't show loyalty to senior management who will replace you without a second thought if its not in their interest.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and Cotric had a kid in Canberra, and he regretted moving to Sydney and wanted to come home with his family, Im sure the narrative would be "Those scumbags at the Bulldogs wont release him home early so he can be with his poor family..."
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:52 am Yeah Im with Pig on this one. I said the same thing to my manage the other day. You can't show loyalty to senior management who will replace you without a second thought if its not in their interest.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and Cotric had a kid in Canberra, and he regretted moving to Sydney and wanted to come home with his family, Im sure the narrative would be "Those scumbags at the Bulldogs wont release him home early so he can be with his poor family..."
Or if he signed a big time, long term deal with us and 2 years wasn't up to scratch... we'd be trying offload him to whoever would take him, as we may do with several members of the current squad. He owed us nothing. We paid a transfer fee and contracted a player we felt could help us win football games, the moment that player cant help us win football games, we'd throw him on the scrap heap because it's in the clubs best interest to do so.

So why do fans think the clubs can do whatever they like under the guise of it being in their best interests, but when players do it, they're scumbags?
As i like to remind people all the time, the club's started this loyalty war, they were the first to strike and now players realise they hold the power.

And here's how this thing with George is going to play out... he's going to want to go home, the Raiders are going to try to play hard ball and say they're not releasing him unless they have a suitable replacement... and regardless of whether we do or don't have a suitable replacement, George will be back playing for Wigan in 2022.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:59 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:52 am Yeah Im with Pig on this one. I said the same thing to my manage the other day. You can't show loyalty to senior management who will replace you without a second thought if its not in their interest.

Or if he signed a big time, long term deal with us and 2 years wasn't up to scratch... we'd be trying offload him to whoever would take him, as we may do with several members of the current squad. He owed us nothing. We paid a transfer fee and contracted a player we felt could help us win football games, the moment that player cant help us win football games, we'd throw him on the scrap heap because it's in the clubs best interest to do so.

So why do fans think the clubs can do whatever they like under the guise of it being in their best interests, but when players do it, they're scumbags?
As i like to remind people all the time, the club's started this loyalty war, they were the first to strike and now players realise they hold the power.

And here's how this thing with George is going to play out... he's going to want to go home, the Raiders are going to try to play hard ball and say they're not releasing him unless they have a suitable replacement... and regardless of whether we do or don't have a suitable replacement, George will be back playing for Wigan in 2022.
Preach brother.

The Roosters showed this to be case with Kyle Flanagan. No eff's given and Kyle was shown the door. The response was "Ruthless, but a good decision by the club". But for George, its a selfish move, what example is he setting blah blah..
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I heard yesterday that someone else is homesick and has already made contact with a few clubs back home.

Coinky dink? I think not.

Welcome back, Aiden Sezer.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We did the same to GET George! We had a halfback, someone we identified and felt could help us win football games, and as soon as the club thought they could get an upgrade, he was sent packing, despite the fact he still had years to go on a contract and was entitled to believe the Raiders would see that out.

And when George arrived and looked a clear upgrade we all commended the club for doing it. No one called our club a scumbag for doing that to the player, no one remarked on our lack of loyalty and questioned the character of our football club and it's decision makers.

:lol: It's utterly wild me to me that people can't see this
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

We did make a grand final with sezer, just sayin

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

VictorTheViking wrote:We did make a grand final with sezer, just sayin

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Loved what he did for us.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’d take Sezer back as a stop gap if we can’t land an established NRL half. We could do much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Danaman137 wrote:I’d take Sezer back as a stop gap if we can’t land an established NRL half. We could do much worse.

This is the amazing disrespect I don't get.

"stop gap if we can't land an established NRL half".

Aiden is the first halfback since Ricky to take us to GF. I'd say that's pretty established.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:11 am We did the same to GET George! We had a halfback, someone we identified and felt could help us win football games, and as soon as the club thought they could get an upgrade, he was sent packing, despite the fact he still had years to go on a contract and was entitled to believe the Raiders would see that out.

And when George arrived and looked a clear upgrade we all commended the club for doing it. No one called our club a scumbag for doing that to the player, no one remarked on our lack of loyalty and questioned the character of our football club and it's decision makers.

:lol: It's utterly wild me to me that people can't see this
100%
Woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party wrote:I never thought leopards would eat MY face!

Nickman's love of NSW
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Lucy wrote:
Danaman137 wrote:I’d take Sezer back as a stop gap if we can’t land an established NRL half. We could do much worse.

Aiden is the first halfback since Ricky to take us to GF. I'd say that's pretty established.

I’m a big fan of Aiden, but he wasn’t the reason we made the grand final in 2019. That year was the emergence of Jack Wighton at 5/8, CNK’s breakout year and John Bateman doing John Bateman things. Not to mention we still had a very capable Leipana combination. Aiden was solid and I’d happily take him back, but let’s not pretend that he was the catalyst to our GF run.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lucy wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:25 am

He'll be 30 in a month. By virtue of age, regardless of what you think of him as a player, he's a 2-3 year stop gap option.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Danaman137 wrote:
Lucy wrote:

I’m a big fan of Aiden, but he wasn’t the reason we made the grand final in 2019. That year was the emergence of Jack Wighton at 5/8, CNK’s breakout year and John Bateman doing John Bateman things. Not to mention we still had a very capable Leipana combination. Aiden was solid and I’d happily take him back, but let’s not pretend that he was the catalyst to our GF run.

Also if I remember correctly l, Aiden was in and out of the side early on with Sam Williams playing first choice half back for a decent period of 2019.

Lucy
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucy »

Botman wrote:
Lucy wrote: May 11, 2021, 11:25 am

He'll be 30 in a month. By virtue of age, regardless of what you think of him as a player, he's a 2-3 year stop gap option.
I get that, I'm just referring to the way he is talked about freely by supporters regardless of his contribution. Of course if he was to return he would only be a half until we got another younger one, but my point is that despite all he has done for the club, he gets zero respect from the majority.

As mentioned above "Jack's breakout, CNK's breakout, Johnny doing Johnny things" etc etc.. But if Sezer wasn't doing "Sezer things" none of that happens either. Jack is a brainless, running 5/8. Sezer was the control room with Hodgo. Sezer played a much bigger part in that GF season than he is given credit for.

Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Lot of talk about not wanting older halfbacks in place of younger halfbacks.

Looking at the 16 starting halfbacks from last weekend:

- Benji - veteran, been through several clubs
- Hughes - Went through Cowboys and Titans and moved to Storm at age 21
- Cleary - Panthers junior
- Townsend - Sharks junior, but ****
- Moses - Eels junior, moved to Tigers, moved back to Eels at 22
- Walker - Roosters junior
- Williams - England international before coming to Raiders
- Crossland - Knights junior, but who gives a ****
- Brooks - Tigers junior
- Fogarty - Titans junior, went to Eels, came back to Titans
- Clifford - Cowboys junior
- Gamble - Tigers junior before going to Broncos
- DCE - Manly junior
- Nikorima - Broncos junior, went to Warriors at age 25
- Hunt - Broncos junior, went to Dragons at age 28
- Flanagan - Sharks junior, Roosters and moved to Bulldogs aged 22.

Of that list, there's only 2 premiership halfbacks that came from the club as a junior (DCE, Townsend). Out of all the proper juniors that have been with the clubs from Day 1, you could only say Cleary, DCE, Townsend (even though he's trash) have had success at their current clubs.

In conclusion, I've wasted too much time trying to prove a point that I wasn't sure what I was trying to prove.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well that's the longest post Luffty has ever made, I can only assume he stole it from somewhere.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Imagine a spin of jack, peirce and milford, as much as we hate mitchel, he is one of the great club level halfs to play in over a decade, not much clout for origin but nrl there hasnt been to much better then him

mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 11, 2021, 4:03 pm Imagine a spin of jack, peirce and milford, as much as we hate mitchel, he is one of the great club level halfs to play in over a decade, not much clout for origin but nrl there hasnt been to much better then him

I reckon he's been very average during his time at the Knights, I wouldn't pay him more than 400k a season. Would rather take Sezer or Milford back to be honest.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

The Nickman wrote: May 11, 2021, 3:52 pm Well that's the longest post Luffty has ever made, I can only assume he stole it from somewhere.
Most I've typed for a long time
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

With it 99% certain George goes home there's not really anyone in the current list of halves that is a magic solution.

Best we can hope for is someone in a supporting role to steer and kick. Sad part is there's not much out there, maybe Widdop could adjust and play that role, Pearce could work but even he wanted an asking price well above his output at the Knights.
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Apologies if this has already been raised but what’s the thought on playing Hodgson at 7 if we lose George?

For mine I think he would be perfect at game management without the risk of overplaying his hand where he currently is playing. We don’t need another runner as Jack and Starling would have that covered, we just need someone to guide up around the park and take the correct end of set options.

Given our hooker issues and lack of any decent realistic options it may be worth exploring?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Riccio saying on NRL Tonight that the Raiders have not received any request for a release from George Williams' management, or from Wigan or Warrington. Raiders say they expect George Williams to be at the Raiders next year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They can say that if they want. I’m gonna choose to ignore it though.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2021, 6:19 pm David Riccio saying on NRL Tonight that the Raiders have not received any request for a release from George Williams' management, or from Wigan or Warrington. Raiders say they expect George Williams to be at the Raiders next year.
I'd say that's 0% chance of actually happening. There's stronger rumours going around that Williams won't see out this year, let alone next year.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Elcaptcroker wrote: May 11, 2021, 4:03 pm Imagine a spin of jack, peirce and milford, as much as we hate mitchel, he is one of the great club level halfs to play in over a decade, not much clout for origin but nrl there hasnt been to much better then him

Better leg spin than Warnie...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

GreenMachine wrote:

What about MacGill

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

What about MacGill
MacGill spun more than warnie, was just a **** bloke

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

-TW- wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:37 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

What about MacGill

Warne’s the **** bloke. MacGill was an alright guy who just was never ‘one of the boys’.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've heard Shane Warne ****'s white, absolutely no smell what so ever, and i can believe it
Hail, hail the great man!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

What about MacGill

Warne’s the **** bloke. MacGill was an alright guy who just was never ‘one of the boys’.
MacGill is an a grade ****, this is coming from personal experience with meeting him and stories I've heard around the traps

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

-TW- wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:57 pm
Timbo wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: Better leg spin than Warnie...
What about MacGill

MacGill is an a grade ****, this is coming from personal experience with meeting him and stories I've heard around the traps

Where were you earlier this week?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2021, 6:19 pm David Riccio saying on NRL Tonight that the Raiders have not received any request for a release from George Williams' management, or from Wigan or Warrington. Raiders say they expect George Williams to be at the Raiders next year.
He's gone
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

George Williams has the full support of the board.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Tyson Gamble isn't really a halfback.... but I do like his hustle. That's why it was so hard to cut him.
You could do a cheaper deal on that pest but you'd need to be lining up something for the future underneath him as well as making a change at fullback. There are a heap of hookers off contract in 2022 as well as Chanel Harris-Tavita.