Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by greeneyed »

One thing Instagram tells us... he’s in Canberra this morning.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Williams/Reynolds would be a good combo.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:51 am One thing Instagram tells us... he’s in Canberra this morning.
You can't sign while on the gold coast..
Vaccinated
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:51 am One thing Instagram tells us... he’s in Canberra this morning.
Except for the fact that there is an ONA coffee on the gold coast as well....

But wouldnt that be another slap in Hoops face if he WAS still in canberra...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: June 4, 2021, 11:13 am
Except for the fact that there is an ONA coffee on the gold coast as well....

But wouldnt that be another slap in Hoops face if he WAS still in canberra...
This ONA is the one located at Fyshwick. There are flights to and fro between Canberra and the Gold Coast though.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Hooper is what is wrong with 2021 "journalism", making himself the story.

The guy is an absolute flog.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:Hooper is what is wrong with 2021 "journalism", making himself the story.

You are absolutely correct, but focusing on yourself seems to be what is wrong with journalists, politicians, celebrities and sportspeople in 2021.

It seems to be a disease more catching than Covid.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:26 am So much for being homesick, George… Williams heads to the Gold Coast

Williams is currently holidaying on the Gold Coast - so much for being homesick - while the England halfback tries to resolve his contract termination with the Canberra Raiders.
Storm in a teacup. He's just stopped in on his way back to the UK to pay his respects to the Patron Saint of Early Contract Releases for Homesickness, Halo Milford.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol: Paying homage to the OG's of home sickness
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

BJ wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:00 pm
hrundi89 wrote:Hooper is what is wrong with 2021 "journalism", making himself the story.

You are absolutely correct, but focusing on yourself seems to be what is wrong with journalists, politicians, celebrities and sportspeople in 2021.

It seems to be a disease more catching than Covid.
The talent can do what they want.

If it wasn't for sportspeople Hooper wouldn't have a job.

That he thinks his head (and Weidler, natch) should be the focal point is the issue. Report the news, don't lamely try and be part of it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I like Hoops, ever since he called out Bateman and proved to be generally correct

Paul Kent I'm not so sure, I didn't like how he talked to Clint Newtown, very aggressive, didn't like it at all
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Canberra Milk wrote:I like Hoops, ever since he called out Bateman and proved to be generally correct

Paul Kent I'm not so sure, I didn't like how he talked to Clint Newtown, very aggressive, didn't like it at all
Clint Newton deserves a talking to!!! If any sane person was a journalist interviewing him “You dumped Jennifer Hawkins, do you think anyone should respect your views on anything”.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

hrundi89 wrote: June 4, 2021, 11:46 am Hooper is what is wrong with 2021 "journalism", making himself the story.

Agreed, that is such an unprofessionally written article, it's so badly worded and just smacks of sour grapes.

Despite denying that John Bateman and George Williams are in his head, they're both very much obviously all up in there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:26 pm I like Hoops, ever since he called out Bateman and proved to be generally correct

I thought the way Paul Kent spoke to Clint Newton was downright disgraceful, completely lacking in any journalistic ethics.

I used to think Kent was alright.

Then I watched a replay of Wednesday night's NRL360... after switching the show off on Tuesday night, due to Hadley's carrying on, and the carrying on of others.

The way both Paul Kent and James Hooper interrupted, shouted down and talked down to Lara Pitt on Wednesday night was even worse than the behaviour on Tuesday night. Absolutely disgraceful. It sure looked a lot like bullying. The way Kent spoke to Daly Cherry-Evans was also completely unnecessary.

Hooper appears to have been generally correct on Bateman, and we shall see on Williams. But there's no need to behave like a bully boy schoolboy while you go about your job of being a reporter.

I've just about given up on NRL 360, and I generally respect Ben Ikin. But I was disturbed to see how he failed to step in and tell Kent and Hooper to let Lara Pitt have their say, and stop interrupting her.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 1:28 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:26 pm I like Hoops, ever since he called out Bateman and proved to be generally correct

I thought the way Paul Kent spoke to Clint Newton was downright disgraceful, completely lacking in any journalistic ethics.

Then I watched a replay of Wednesday night's NRL360... after switching the show off on Tuesday night, due to Hadley's carrying on, and the carrying on of others.

The way both Paul Kent and James Hooper interrupted, shouted down and talked down to Lara Pitt on Wednesday night was even worse than the behaviour on Tuesday night. Absolutely disgraceful. It sure looked a lot like bullying. The way Kent spoke to Daly Cherry-Evans was also completely unnecessary.

Hooper appears to have been generally correct on Bateman, and we shall see on Williams. But there's no need to behave like a bully boy schoolboy while you go about your job of being a reporter.

I've just about given up on NRL 360, and I generally respect Ben Ikin. But I was disturbed to see how he failed to step in and tell Kent and Hooper to let Lara Pitt have their say, and stop interrupting her.
GE I agree with regards to Lara Pitt. Every week on 360, at least once and often multiple times on a Wednesday night Hoops just cuts her off and talks over her. You can see in her body language that it rightfully pisses her off - she sits silent and waits - but you can see her internally steaming and rolling her eyes. Mansplaining at its worst and noting that Pitt is their only female commentator on this show it is bewildering and disturbing that Fox let it go on week after week.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 1:28 pm

Fantastic post. The journalist integrity of Hooper and Kent (who I also used to think was alright) is right out the window now for me, and whoever from the raiders' club is feeding these two ***** information.

The whole thing **** stinks. No wonder the players have had enough.

We're supposed to be a **** professional organisation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Surely there won’t be Williams/player empowerment apologists on the GH if he winds up playing for a beachside NRL club next year?

Would be a supremely grubby move if the reports are correct.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 4:01 pm Surely there won’t be Williams/player empowerment apologists on the GH if he winds up playing for a beachside NRL club next year?

God, at this point in time I hope he's playing for the Titans next week!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 4:20 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 4:01 pm Surely there won’t be Williams/player empowerment apologists on the GH if he winds up playing for a beachside NRL club next year?

Why
Up The Milk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Do people think there will be an announcement from the club after he signs the release forms or is the consensus that we will simply announce his replacement as and when it is settled
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 4:20 pm

Why
Because this whole season is that much of a complete old school Rocky Stewart ****show it just fits the narrative perfectly!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

The Canberra Raiders and George Williams have agreed to terms on the homesick halfback's release. It's believed Williams will receive two months' pay, which would be about $100,000 if his reported $600,000 contract was correct. It's expected Williams will head home in three-to-four weeks.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 6:54 pm Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

The Canberra Raiders and George Williams have agreed to terms on the homesick halfback's release. It's believed Williams will receive two months' pay, which would be about $100,000 if his reported $600,000 contract was correct. It's expected Williams will head home in three-to-four weeks.

Which presumably now means we have a spot open should the right player come along. Hope we can secure Johnson in the coming weeks
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Thank heavens this saga is over...
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

FROG wrote: June 4, 2021, 6:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 6:54 pm Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

Which presumably now means we have a spot open should the right player come along. Hope we can secure Johnson in the coming weeks
It also means that there will be one hell of a piss up during the Origin Bye weekend to say farewell from all the boys - brace yourselves
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

I think we’ll think long and hard about recruiting Poms in the future.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We've done very well with our poms. None of them were poor players.
Turner doesn't count.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote:I think we’ll think long and hard about recruiting Poms in the future.
That’s not what Peter Mulholland says in the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

100%, it still sounds like the issue was wanting certainty over his location (near family) for next year when his child comes, so if he is away from family then it confirms game-playing. Until then, it is a reasonable thing to agitate for, and uncertainty of being able to be with your first child during their first year of life seems like a perfectly understandable source of stress to me.

Worth noting that George is claiming to be in Canberra right now, so possibly another fail for Ricky's mates getting ahead of themselves.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by greeneyed »

Bovrick wrote:

100%, it still sounds like the issue was wanting certainty over his location (near family) for next year when his child comes, so if he is away from family then it confirms game-playing. Until then, it is a reasonable thing to agitate for, and uncertainty of being able to be with your first child during their first year of life seems like a perfectly understandable source of stress to me.

Worth noting that George is claiming to be in Canberra right now, so possibly another fail for Ricky's mates getting ahead of themselves.
He had a meeting in Canberra this morning to organise his release. Not sure that means the “report” about him recently being on the Gold Coast was incorrect.

Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:34 pm
Bovrick wrote:

He had a meeting in Canberra this morning to organise his release. Not sure that means the “report” about him recently being on the Gold Coast was incorrect.

"Williams is currently holidaying on the Gold Coast - so much for being homesick - while the England halfback tries to resolve his contract termination with the Canberra Raiders."

That sounds incorrect to me?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

These sums they're talking about. As a number of others have mentioned this is what we should have sorted behind the scenes instead of in the media.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

100k seems reasonable
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pete Cash wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:38 pm 100k seems reasonable
Yea pretty reasonable outcome.
Should free up 150kish under the salary cap for the rest of the year if my (terrible) maths is correct?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bovrick wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:36 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:34 pm
Bovrick wrote:

"Williams is currently holidaying on the Gold Coast - so much for being homesick - while the England halfback tries to resolve his contract termination with the Canberra Raiders."

That sounds incorrect to me?
See one of my other posts today to see at I think of Hooper, but he was pretty close to the mark on Bateman. I won’t be surprised if he’s pretty close to the mark on Williams.