Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2021, 12:07 pm
julian87 wrote: May 10, 2021, 7:30 am
exrefhollywood wrote: May 9, 2021, 9:05 pm Sam Williams is not the answer
I don’t think so either but I’m not convinced the team wouldn’t be better in attack short term with him in the 7.
Sam Williams biggest problem his whole career was drifting out of games when you needed him to step up. Thats not the kind of fix we need right now.
I reckon we should give 'im a run.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:44 am
Lucy wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:38 am So many people suffer from Stickholm Syndrome in this place.

He is garbage. Always has been, always will be.

It's almost like Raiders fans on the whole have accepted mediocrity to the point they would rather "bleed green win loose or drawer" rather than just win.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Who is garbage? Williams?? What **** planet are you on?
I think he means Stick is garbage.

Not sure if I'm dubbying though...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

The Nickman wrote:
Lucy wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:38 am So many people suffer from Stickholm Syndrome in this place.

He is garbage. Always has been, always will be.

It's almost like Raiders fans on the whole have accepted mediocrity to the point they would rather "bleed green win loose or drawer" rather than just win.

Who is garbage? Williams?? What **** planet are you on?
Hahaha. You are.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not sure if people are intentionally leaking information to media. I heard about internal troubles through somebody who works directly for the club. I think the reality is that there are a lot of issues behind the scenes at the moment and the information has leaked because Canberra is a small place... more so than club officials or player managers agitating.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Get back the Ten wrote: May 9, 2021, 4:21 pm I think when all’s said and done the new half will be Sam Williams he is under contract and he is knows the Raiders plays and if he gets homesick Cooma not that far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no, we have a Williams at home
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Let GW go now. It’s only delaying the inevitable
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

Yep agree. Need a general urgently though. SW is not the answer.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Has anyone suggested using Hodgson at halfback and letting him run the show yet?

He can't be criticised for overplaying his hand from there...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Boomercm wrote:Has anyone suggested using Hodgson at halfback and letting him run the show yet?

Yes, yes I have

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

-TW- wrote: May 10, 2021, 8:27 pm
Boomercm wrote:Has anyone suggested using Hodgson at halfback and letting him run the show yet?

Yes, yes I have

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I thought someone would have. It's not the worst idea if George wants to go home. Josh is skillful enough and will definitely organise the attack better than Jack and/or George.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The main issue with Hodgo to half in the past when he's filled in has been his poor lateral movement - gets along with it ok vs the big boys in the middle but he gets caught out by zippy halves and athletic 2nd rowers. And that was before his knee reco.

Similarly he's not very quick so not sure his running game would work when he can't just pick his moment vs a confounded single marker. Then again, might just be good enough to keep them honest. Not sure, he's less athletic than most halves.

I think that's why it hasn't been more on the table. In this current rut, who knows what's next though.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

That Jonneh article is an absolute kick in the guts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you'd think if he had a shred of respect for the club and their fans he would keep his trap shut because all he has done is antagonize the situation and make it worse.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Robert the Bruce wrote: May 10, 2021, 9:23 pm That Jonneh article is an absolute kick in the guts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you'd think if he had a shred of respect for the club and their fans he would keep his trap shut because all he has done is antagonize the situation and make it worse.
I feel the same. I've always hoped he'd come back but looks like that is next to no chance. The emotion he showed after losing to the Storm in last years Prelim made me proud to support Bateman and class him as one of my favourite Raiders of all time. It is really disheartening to read those comments.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I have absolutely no respect or time for Mr J Bateman.
The club paid a huge fee to bring him over and he backflipped on a contract.
What kind of example is he giving his daughter?
And he has allowed his dirty manager to continue to screw the club
Vaccinated
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

JB has delivered a dose of reality, and it’s well overdue…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

When JB was wearing green we expected him to be loyal to this club and wouldn’t have tolerated him prioritising his former club. Now he’s over in the UK and agitating to get his current club a handy 7 next season why do we feel we have an expectation that he should prioritise our feelings?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Back to Wigan a done deal according to chat over here - for next season.

Apparently Wigan are waiting for Wests to announce Oliver Gildardt so they can show they're not losing players.

See Vossy's just Tweeted the same thing.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Robert the Bruce wrote: May 10, 2021, 9:23 pm That Jonneh article is an absolute kick in the guts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you'd think if he had a shred of respect for the club and their fans he would keep his trap shut because all he has done is antagonize the situation and make it worse.
Could easily be Jonneh with the leaks, then doing an interview about them. He'd do that for a giggle
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:00 am Back to Wigan a done deal according to chat over here - for next season.

Apparently Wigan are waiting for Wests to announce Oliver Gildardt so they can show they're not losing players.

See Vossy's just Tweeted the same thing.
Bloody Wigan always poaching our players!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

This year feels more like 2013 than 17/18.

Get the feeling 2021/2022 are going to be write offs.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This might be a good thing insofar as it hasn’t dragged out.

We need to make a play for Adam Reynolds right now.

And for those who write it off as wishful thinking....is it?

His preference is to remain in Sydney but it doesn’t look like Sharks are coming to the table with the right dóllar figure, which is why the Broncos 700k x 4 year deal is in the box seat.

He will move interstate for the right dollar figure.

If money is the primary factor and proximity to Sydney is a secondary factor then I reckon if we come in with a competitive offer vis a vis Brisbane then we would be a chance.

Give it a crack Reynolds is exactly what we need.
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Sigh. Looks like it's a foregone conclusion now. What an absolute cluster this season has turned out to be.

Good luck trying to get a guy anywhere near as good from now until the end of the season.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:08 am This might be a good thing insofar as it hasn’t dragged out.

We need to make a play for Adam Reynolds right now.

And for those who write it off as wishful thinking....is it?

His preference is to remain in Sydney but it doesn’t look like Sharks are coming to the table with the right dóllar figure, which is why the Broncos 700k x 4 year deal is in the box seat.

He will move interstate for the right dollar figure.

If money is the primary factor and proximity to Sydney is a secondary factor then I reckon if we come in with a competitive offer vis a vis Brisbane then we would be a chance.

Give it a crack Reynolds is exactly what we need.
I agree. The days of "oh no one will come, let's go eat worms" are gone, and not quite back yet. Broncs are a bigger basket case than us. We know Stick can sell a vision and I'd daresay he'd be more convincing than Kevvie. Worth a shot.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I don't think Reynolds is realistic. From all reports he's too deep into negotiations with the Sharks and Broncos, and it's now just a matter of playing them two off against each other for the best offer.

Our best bet right now is Pearce IMO. Knights only extended him for another year until the end of 2022, so I gather multi-years for him there are now out of the question. Throw 2-3 years at him and agitate the Knights for a release, which I suspect may not be too difficult to get them to do.
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by lomax »

sorry what article
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by lomax »

lomax wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:39 am
sorry what article
Got it you mean the John Bateman article
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Gotta be honest, he was a huge part of the 2019 GF run, but I'm really starting to have a powerful dislike for John Bateman.

The way he carried himself last season and now all of this stuff which is not necessary...

What a disaster. We'll be outside of the eight for the next few years.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:31 am I don't think Reynolds is realistic. From all reports he's too deep into negotiations with the Sharks and Broncos, and it's now just a matter of playing them two off against each other for the best offer.

Our best bet right now is Pearce IMO. Knights only extended him for another year until the end of 2022, so I gather multi-years for him there are now out of the question. Throw 2-3 years at him and agitate the Knights for a release, which I suspect may not be too difficult to get them to do.
I promise you now, the GH collective would HATE the Mitchell Pearce era of Raiders football :lol:
But given the options available, i kind of agree he's probably as good as we can hope for if we're trying to keep this train running

Otherwise i think the club's best bet is scout the juniors hard, get our version of Walsh for the Warriors or Burton for the Dogs... take that sort of swing on a super high pedigree guy whos progress may be road blocked or at a club that isnt run well
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

The Dragons debuted players out of their SG Ball Grand Final losing team on the weekend. Our boys beat them twice this year - who do we have there that could be accelerated? Is there a halfback coming?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Reynolds is not realistic..
Broncos will overpay and can throw more third party money at him if he chooses to leave Sydney...Sharks are best placed.

We need to find the next young play maker and develop some youth together in the backline....painful short term, but its the correct thing to do...

We don't have the cattle to deal with Penrith and Melbourne right now, so why torch our cap for nothing...

The club needs some long term thinking and vision...you can see the Roosters are doing the exact same thing with the young group they are bringing through now and in a few years it will pay off.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I can't believe I'm saying this but, Anthony Milford?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

360 were saying this morning its a relatively simple case of Wigan are losing Hastings to the Tigers, and the club wants G Willy and are stirring the pot
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:03 pm I have absolutely no respect or time for Mr J Bateman.
The club paid a huge fee to bring him over and he backflipped on a contract.
What kind of example is he giving his daughter?
And he has allowed his dirty manager to continue to screw the club
The example and lesson he's giving his daughter is to understand the business your in and how that business treats it's employee's, and act accordingly in your own best interests. Always do what is in your heart and what you feel is best for your family.

Very big of you to highlight this and what a wonderful example he's setting for his daughter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Blogger wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:36 am The Dragons debuted players out of their SG Ball Grand Final losing team on the weekend. Our boys beat them twice this year - who do we have there that could be accelerated? Is there a halfback coming?
Brad Schneider is the most likely half, he's playing with the NSW Cup team, but I doubt he's ready for NRL. Sione Moala was the SG Ball half this year, and he's very good, but we'd want to see him tested over some time at NSW Cup level. He's not a player I'd say... yep, definite first grader. But then halves take a fair while to develop. In any case, Moala suffered a serious ankle injury in the Grand Final. It is not like we have a Sam Walker ready to roll.

The SG Ball players who are most likely to be accelerated are probably forwards. Caleb Esera, Trey Mooney, Jayden Clarkson (still injured), Clay Webb. Xavier Savage the most likely back, has lots of speed, but I'd want to see how he goes in defence at higher levels.