Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by Lui_Bon »

Danaman137 wrote: May 3, 2021, 3:59 pm
Aero wrote:If true, (big IF), what are our options? Do we have any good half-backs in the lower grades? Do we promote Sammy to first string? Do we look at what's in the market? Adam Reynolds' kicking game would be wonderful to have

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Brad Schneider has looked the goods. Still young though and probably atleast a year away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just so you don't think you're forgotten, I agree with you that he looks the goods. And in the current climate, teams that pick young players on a hunch are being rewarded. You know, the opposite of what we will do.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Naturally, we'd have him back in a heartbeat. :D
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 3, 2021, 11:51 pm Lots of talk about doing a rebuild, like we've got to stop somewhere in time and start over again.

IMO, that doesn't exist. The reality is you've got to be constantly evolving every season. I see this squad and it is still very well built - it has the bones of a premiership winning team. If Sticky were to leave now, he'd be leaving behind some very strong foundations, instead of a mess.

What we didn't do last year, going into this year, is shed and recruit enough. The main recruit we signed wasn't needed. The weakness last year was blatantly obvious, yet we chose not to address. We extended ageing stars like Soliola and Rapana, when clubs with a more ruthless streak probably would've let them go and freed up the money. We gave an insane deal to a 30 year old centre who isn't and wasn't rep quality. Persisted with a fullback whose attacking abilities have not only not developed, but regressed - and signed a back up that's no better.

Me and a few others said that we feared the squad didn't change enough over the off season. I think those fears have now come to be realised.
100%
You can see it from a mile away...we were becoming stale and did nothing about it over the offseason.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:00 am
afgtnk wrote: May 3, 2021, 11:51 pm Lots of talk about doing a rebuild, like we've got to stop somewhere in time and start over again.

IMO, that doesn't exist. The reality is you've got to be constantly evolving every season. I see this squad and it is still very well built - it has the bones of a premiership winning team. If Sticky were to leave now, he'd be leaving behind some very strong foundations, instead of a mess.

What we didn't do last year, going into this year, is shed and recruit enough. The main recruit we signed wasn't needed. The weakness last year was blatantly obvious, yet we chose not to address. We extended ageing stars like Soliola and Rapana, when clubs with a more ruthless streak probably would've let them go and freed up the money. We gave an insane deal to a 30 year old centre who isn't and wasn't rep quality. Persisted with a fullback whose attacking abilities have not only not developed, but regressed - and signed a back up that's no better.

Me and a few others said that we feared the squad didn't change enough over the off season. I think those fears have now come to be realised.
Spot on! The sentimentality and failure to make the ruthless calls is hurting us badly.
The thing is, most of the squad was off contract last year so they had ample time to plan it. Maybe the person(s) making these calls ain't up to it? Lloyd Braun was selling computers by cold calling people using a disconnected phone. Hello?!?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

moto748 wrote: May 4, 2021, 1:15 am Naturally, we'd have him back in a heartbeat. :D
I'm sure you would. Getting Johnny B and GWilly back would improve any team in any comp.

Difficult circumstances for George but the light at the end of the tunnel with Vaccines and so on is surely approaching.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Frustrating thing is we made the exact same mistake after 2016. You can't win the comp treading water and hoping the tide just carries you in. You've got to keep swimming, stay lean and mean.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Homesick eh?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I have said it before and I will say it again, never underestimate the stress that not being ABLE to go home has on people, even if you probably wouldn't have anyway.

I can understand how difficult it has been for a player such a George. He looks at what the English players enjoyed during 2019 - not only were we successful on the field, but we played in Darwin and they then spent a few days in Bali, John Bateman got injured and he flew home for a couple of weeks, start of 2020 there is smoke in Canberra, so they do a training camp on the Sunshine Coast. Nights out like the one they all enjoyed in Sydney on Australia Day in 2020 (which obviously didn't end well for Curtis Scott - but I think a good time was had by all before that) are common place. They are living a great life.

Then covid hits. Australia's borders are suddenly closed, something none of us had ever considered. Players are forced into a bubble, you are on the other side of the world, and you can basically go the training and home. Yes, compared to many other people in society, these guys are far better off, they are still getting paid massive salaries but it becomes a lonely life.

George has his girlfriend come out here and she is all ready for a big adventure. Remember, these guys (and their girls) are not from cosmopolitan London where they did a school term in France, go to Monaco on the weekend etc, etc like we see some British people doing. They are generally from very working class Northern towns where growing up they probably go to London as often as some of us have.

They are stuck in an apartment, George's father is in Australia but he can't see him and then they get a bit of time off over Christmas so they pop down to the coast. They then go to Melbourne, because, why not, and basically they get locked up because they have crossed state borders - these people 18 months earlier probably thought states only existed in the US!!

They then have a baby on the way (curiously due exactly 9 months after the quarantine in Melbourne) and there is no guarantee they will be able to go home this summer or have family come out here.

It is an extraordinary time and really difficult for people living and working on the other side of the world.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Bay53 wrote: May 4, 2021, 8:44 am I have said it before and I will say it again, never underestimate the stress that not being ABLE to go home has on people, even if you probably wouldn't have anyway.

I can understand how difficult it has been for a player such a George. He looks at what the English players enjoyed during 2019 - not only were we successful on the field, but we played in Darwin and they then spent a few days in Bali, John Bateman got injured and he flew home for a couple of weeks, start of 2020 there is smoke in Canberra, so they do a training camp on the Sunshine Coast. Nights out like the one they all enjoyed in Sydney on Australia Day in 2020 (which obviously didn't end well for Curtis Scott - but I think a good time was had by all before that) are common place. They are living a great life.

Then covid hits. Australia's borders are suddenly closed, something none of us had ever considered. Players are forced into a bubble, you are on the other side of the world, and you can basically go the training and home. Yes, compared to many other people in society, these guys are far better off, they are still getting paid massive salaries but it becomes a lonely life.

George has his girlfriend come out here and she is all ready for a big adventure. Remember, these guys (and their girls) are not from cosmopolitan London where they did a school term in France, go to Monaco on the weekend etc, etc like we see some British people doing. They are generally from very working class Northern towns where growing up they probably go to London as often as some of us have.

They are stuck in an apartment, George's father is in Australia but he can't see him and then they get a bit of time off over Christmas so they pop down to the coast. They then go to Melbourne, because, why not, and basically they get locked up because they have crossed state borders - these people 18 months earlier probably thought states only existed in the US!!

They then have a baby on the way (curiously due exactly 9 months after the quarantine in Melbourne) and there is no guarantee they will be able to go home this summer or have family come out here.

It is an extraordinary time and really difficult for people living and working on the other side of the world.
Very well said. It would be especially tough on his partner I imagine and I've no doubt that would be having a major impact on how George is feeling.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

his dad lives in Perth doesn't he?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote: May 4, 2021, 8:44 am I have said it before and I will say it again, never underestimate the stress that not being ABLE to go home has on people, even if you probably wouldn't have anyway.

That is such an amazing post that I'm not even going to try and make my standard joke about something.

Really good summary of the situation, Sean.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Knotincelly22 wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:26 am The thing is, most of the squad was off contract last year so they had ample time to plan it. Maybe the person(s) making these calls ain't up to it? Lloyd Braun was selling computers by cold calling people using a disconnected phone. Hello?!?
"Hey Braun, I've got good news and bad news, and they're both the same. You're fired!"
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

bonehead wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:32 am his dad lives in Perth doesn't he?

He does, but a fat lot of good that does him when the WA Government forces the State into lockdown at the first sign of COVID.

Also, if his GF is expecting, then she is going to want her mum nearby, not a bloke she's probably only met a handful of times for all we know.

Getting the two mums out here and stringing some wins together will blow those blues away.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

George is the best halfback since Ricky himself. He's not in form but would not like to see him leave. He's a top half

Don't want Reynolds or Moses.

Hope Wigan haven't offered him a huge sum to replace Jackson Hastings. We should stand our ground.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 really did hit the nail on the head.
The impacts of simply not being able to go and see family is huge... my wife deals with it too because her sister, whom she is incredibly close to, lives OS... they've never gone this long without seeing each other. And she struggles with it so much but at least she has her family... i cant even imagine what this is like for her sister who is in the same spot as guys like George... completely shut off from their entire family.

It must be awful. And certainly give anyone cause to reconsider their situation and maybe come to a different conclusion on what you're willing to live without.
I had no problem with Bateman leaving to go home to his family last year and ill have no problem with any of our pommy's packing up shop and doing the same

This a human issue, not a football one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:32 am his dad lives in Perth doesn't he?
That's another country too. Easier to travel too and from UK than it is Perth these days.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders confident they won't be left in the halfback lurch, by George

The Raiders will do everything in their power to ensure English half George Williams sees out his contract after reports emerged he is considering a return to the UK after growing homesick.

Canberra's expectations are that Williams will play out the final 18 months of his deal with the club and no release has been sought by the 26-year-old.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/04/rai ... by-george/

Canberra half-back on the prospect of fatherhood and Raiders form: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/56941147
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Bay53 really did hit the nail on the head.
The impacts of simply not being able to go and see family is huge... my wife deals with it too because her sister, whom she is incredibly close to, lives OS... they've never gone this long without seeing each other. And she struggles with it so much but at least she has her family... i cant even imagine what this is like for her sister who is in the same spot as guys like George... completely shut off from their entire family.

It must be awful. And certainly give anyone cause to reconsider their situation and maybe come to a different conclusion on what you're willing to live without.
I had no problem with Bateman leaving to go home to his family last year and ill have no problem with any of our pommy's packing up shop and doing the same

This a human issue, not a football one.
yep agreed, the world suddenly got a whole lot bigger last year and no real sign of shrinking again soon.
I wonder what overall effect this has on the lime decline in form?
CNK cut off from wife and kids
Valemei unable to see his now nearly year old child
4 other pommy lads all cut off from family

I'm sure a lot more than this.

Edrick The Entertainer
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

I'm not buying it. The only reason this story gets trotted out is usually for someone that is not happy where they are. If there is a will there is always a way, I lived overseas for 13 years and there was a period of 5 years I was unable to come home but we have all kinds of video platforms these days to keep us connected, I think there is smoke in this story, and that explains a few things of late.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Floydd wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:06 pm I'm not buying it. The only reason this story gets trotted out is usually for someone that is not happy where they are. If there is a will there is always a way, I lived overseas for 13 years and there was a period of 5 years I was unable to come home but we have all kinds of video platforms these days to keep us connected, I think there is smoke in this story, and that explains a few things of late.
Why were you unable to come home? Did you know that it was going to be the case when you left? How were your family going back home? Were they in lockdown for 18 months so were very miserable and possibly putting pressure on you to come home? Did you have a partner that knew nobody and was prevented from interacting with others?

All of those things are relevant to this situation.

And no one says George and Charly have it worse than anyone else in the world - they don’t. But they also have the option of returning home and doing essentially the same job.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

More detail in the SMH. Williams would be on less money if he went back to play in Super League apparently. Not what you want when you have a bub on the way. He's currently on $600,000 according to the article.

He'll only be released if the Raiders can get a like for like replacement.

‘We don’t want him going anywhere’: Raiders will go extra mile to help homesick Williams

Canberra will try to reunite George Williams with some of his family after the halfback told the club he was homesick and wanted to return to England.

“George came and saw me a fortnight ago and we’re now working through things,” Ricky Stuart said. “We’re in constant communication with George and making sure he’s OK. It could now be a case of George have family come out for the final year of his contract. We want him to be comfortable and we will explore anything we can do to make life easier for the final year of his deal. George is a big part of this club and we don’t want him going anywhere.”

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-don ... 57ohy.html
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Floydd wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:06 pm I'm not buying it. The only reason this story gets trotted out is usually for someone that is not happy where they are. If there is a will there is always a way, I lived overseas for 13 years and there was a period of 5 years I was unable to come home but we have all kinds of video platforms these days to keep us connected, I think there is smoke in this story, and that explains a few things of late.
I've got great news for you, friend.
You don't have buy it. They don't need your approval to validate how they feel.

So continue not buying it, and they'll continue not feeling how they feel without even knowing you exist.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:28 pm
Why were you unable to come home? Did you know that it was going to be the case when you left? How were your family going back home? Were they in lockdown for 18 months so were very miserable and possibly putting pressure on you to come home? Did you have a partner that knew nobody and was prevented from interacting with others?

And no one says George and Charly have it worse than anyone else in the world - they don’t. But they also have the option of returning home and doing essentially the same job.
Ooooof, looks to me like "Floydd" has a good four or five balls to pick out of his net here.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Good post. I think it would be a huge shame if we lost him but wouldn’t hold it against him in any way and would wish them nothing but good luck. Don’t think we are there yet though and hopefully the club can put arrangements in place to make it work.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I only became a father for the first time in 2019 and we are in the fortunate position of having my entire family where we live. Family support for new parents can be invaluable. If they want to be close to family when their child is born that is a perfectly reasonable position.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:39 pm More detail in the SMH. Williams would be on less money if he went back to play in Super League apparently. Not what you want when you have a bub on the way. He's currently on $600,000 according to the article.

He'll only be released if the Raiders can get a like for like replacement.

‘We don’t want him going anywhere’: Raiders will go extra mile to help homesick Williams

Canberra will try to reunite George Williams with some of his family after the halfback told the club he was homesick and wanted to return to England.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-don ... 57ohy.html
NRL.com was saying that a release hasn't been sought... but I guess they intended to mean that a formal release request has not been submitted by his manager.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:30 pm I only became a father for the first time in 2019 and we are in the fortunate position of having my entire family where we live. Family support for new parents can be invaluable. If they want to be close to family when their child is born that is a perfectly reasonable position.
Is there a middle ground here - Perhaps the club can arrange for Sam Williams family to get around him?
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Widdop anyone?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:57 pm
Wiki Special wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:30 pm I only became a father for the first time in 2019 and we are in the fortunate position of having my entire family where we live. Family support for new parents can be invaluable. If they want to be close to family when their child is born that is a perfectly reasonable position.
Is there a middle ground here - Perhaps the club can arrange for Sam Williams family to get around him?
Of course you are joking, but a better family you would not find. Now Sam is married to Sarah so Ashley Gilbert is the father-in-law as well!!

Of course the Williams family arguably have already produced one NRL player apart from their son - Matt McIlwrick lived with them when he came to Australia and from what I understand became his surrogate parents and had a massive influence on him becoming a NRL player.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bay53 wrote: May 4, 2021, 4:14 pm
Of course you are joking, but a better family you would not find. Now Sam is married to Sarah so Ashley Gilbert is the father-in-law as well!!

Of course the Williams family arguably have already produced one NRL player apart from their son - Matt McIlwrick lived with them when he came to Australia and from what I understand became his surrogate parents and had a massive influence on him becoming a NRL player.
Ashley “Hooter” Gilbert - loved watching him go around at Seifert. I was joking but you make a strong case. Adopted son won’t even need to change his name.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 4:35 pm

Ashley “Hooter” Gilbert - loved watching him go around at Seifert. I was joking but you make a strong case. Adopted son won’t even need to change his name.
I loved how he used to fake injury, lie on the ground, then spring to life close to the line and take a pass to score
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 4:35 pm

I loved how he used to fake injury, lie on the ground, then spring to life close to the line and take a pass to score
Was at the SCG in 87 when Sully did the same thing to give us some hope against Manly. I wonder who taught who that move
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

You know, in a different way I could answer 'yes' to most of those questions at the time of the birth of our first child. It was tough, but we coped. I get that it's nice to have family around with a new child, but it's certainly not the end of the world if they are not.

I think there's something seriously amiss at the Raiders. These stories don't come from nowhere.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I wonder if part of the attraction in joining the Raiders was to play alongside Hodgson? Now that...
Shoving it in your face since 2017
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Just to say,as others have, Bay53 is spot-on with his post. Few summers back, George used to come in my local pub. As you say, he is just a working-class lad like all his mates. And with a pregnant g/f, it can't be easy right now. He is a quality player, and I believe he could still offer more to the Raiders. But some tactical sorting out clearly needs to be done. If he does return to England, I certainly hope (and would expect) that it would be to us; the thought of George in a Leeds or Saints shirt is too horrible to contemplate!