Canberra Raiders want NRL Women's team by 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders' sights are set on entering an NRLW team for the 2023 season.

"We'd need '22 to put a team together and we'd definitely like to have one in '23," Raiders CEO Don Furner said. "It's probably a year or two behind because of COVID and a few other things and funding, but it's always been a part of our plan down the track.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Bay53
Gary Belcher

Re: Canberra Raiders want NRL Women's team by 2023

Post by Bay53 »

Would people actively support this team? By that I don’t mean saying “yeah, yeah I support them, go girls” because that is the politically correct if patronising answer.

What I mean is actively get out and watch their games. Presumably by 2023 it will be more than just a small comp during the NRL finals.

Interested to get peoples thoughts, particularly females, because ironically I find the biggest detractors of the AFLW comp are actually female footy fans.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Botman »

Definitely
So long as they stick solid and bleed green, ill support them.. it would be an upgrade on the mens team which does not appear to bleed green and certainly does not stick solid
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Rickmando
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Maybe we can give Rick a promotion and give him the honour of being our inaugural NRLW coach?
Bay53
Gary Belcher

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:50 pm Definitely
So long as they stick solid and bleed green, ill support them.. it would be an upgrade on the mens team which does not appear to bleed green and certainly does not stick solid
Gee mate I don’t know what planet you have lived on if you don’t think cliques could form in a group of 25 women. Let’s try and answer this ignoring the current plight of the first grade team which is hopefully temporary.
Billy Walker
David Furner
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:48 pm Would people actively support this team? By that I don’t mean saying “yeah, yeah I support them, go girls” because that is the politically correct if patronising answer.

What I mean is actively get out and watch their games. Presumably by 2023 it will be more than just a small comp during the NRL finals.

Interested to get peoples thoughts, particularly females, because ironically I find the biggest detractors of the AFLW comp are actually female footy fans.
I’ll give you a non politically correct honest answer - no I wouldn’t. But that’s just me and I genuinely do wish them the very best of luck.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote:
Gee mate I don’t know what planet you have lived on if you don’t think cliques could form in a group of 25 women. Let’s try and answer this ignoring the current plight of the first grade team which is hopefully temporary.
Ooooof. That’s a pretty big dubby there, pal.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mercury
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Rickmando wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:52 pm Maybe we can give Rick a promotion and give him the honour of being our inaugural NRLW coach?
:D :clap:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Yes 100% I would support them. Nice to hear the club is thinking outside of there conservative ways

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd show an interest

Would I actively go to games like I do for the men? Probably not, but if it's before a home game I'd go for a look

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ALX22
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Will need to continue to improve in the Tarsha Gale Cup first.
Bay53
Gary Belcher

Post by Bay53 »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2021, 5:33 am
Bay53 wrote:
Ooooof. That’s a pretty big dubby there, pal.
I have no idea what that means.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Absolutely! I'd be there with bells and whistles on!

Wanted to add, really glad the club is taking this seriously and steadily and not just leaping in with a wild GERONIMO! Taking a year to build the team then entering the comp is a much more solid plan.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)