13%

Total votes: 23

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2021 Rd 9 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:49 am
Fair enough - give Croker a chance to recapture his form, if he doesn't, then tough conversation to retire at the end of the year and work for us in the back room or another role. I think this is fair. Free up $600,000 salary cap. But I had always thought he is signed to 2024. I don't know where the $1.6 m comes from for both him and Hodgson.
I think GWilly was included in the calculation for 2022 ?

Croker is signed for 3 more years. The medical retirement will be tricky, but has been done before. It needs a sympathetic media campaign ala all the Burgess operation + bone chewing infection stories. If we can't medically retire him we are asking the NRL to swallow that he is walking away from 1.8m guaranteed income for an amazingly overpaid several hundred grand per year backroom role at the club but it's not on the cap please...

It'll have to be medically retired. The problem with him agreeing to walk away from the contract is a) he shouldn't, the club signed it, he's owed
and b) the NRL may have issue with him suddenly being paid a few hundred grand a year in the backroom but we're also supposed to believe this is not because he let them drop the contract... been done, but it's murky and we are not SOuffs.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

At this stage, you'd have to consider it an upset if either Hodgson, Croker or GWilly are here in 2022
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:30 am
Fair enough - give Croker a chance to recapture his form, if he doesn't, then tough conversation to retire at the end of the year and work for us in the back room or another role. I think this is fair. Free up $600,000 salary cap. But I had always thought he is signed to 2024. I don't know where the $1.6 m comes from for both him and Hodgson.

Croker is signed for 3 more years. The medical retirement will be tricky, but has been done before. It needs a sympathetic media campaign ala all the Burgess operation + bone chewing infection stories. If we can't medically retire him we are asking the NRL to swallow that he is walking away from 1.8m guaranteed income for an amazingly overpaid several hundred grand per year backroom role at the club but it's not on the cap please...

It'll have to be medically retired. The problem with him agreeing to walk away from the contract is a) he shouldn't, the club signed it, he's owed
and b) the NRL may have issue with him suddenly being paid a few hundred grand a year in the backroom but we're also supposed to believe this is not because he let them drop the contract... been done, but it's murky and we are not SOuffs.
I’d expect Croker has more than enough other interests in his trotters and businesses to worry about a backroom job post footy.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

But I still don't understand $1.6 million between Hodgson, G Williams and Croker - that seems too low when the figures bandied about are $800,000, $600,000 and $600,000 respectively for the three of them
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:30 am

I’d suspect Croker has more than enough other interests in his trotters and businesses to worry about a backroom job post footy but could see him helping out a goal kicker or two in spare time.

I sometimes feel we unreasonably expect that every long term retiring player will slot into some form of coaching/mentoring role. It would mean we have a coaching/ admin team made up of legends that only have experience as football players. Agree we need a balance but let’s not freeze out all the smart young minds that have studied sports science, sports psychology, business administration etc and have potential to make a difference in these important roles.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Botman wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:22 am At this stage, you'd have to consider it an upset if either Hodgson, Croker or GWilly are here in 2022
I'd add Rapana , Lui and maybe Havilli to that list. Maybe even Papa and Tapine want out That's a lot of spare cash we have
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: May 7, 2021, 11:02 am
Botman wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:22 am At this stage, you'd have to consider it an upset if either Hodgson, Croker or GWilly are here in 2022
I'd add Rapana , Lui and maybe Havilli to that list. Maybe even Papa and Tapine want out That's a lot of spare cash we have
Spare cash and a decimated squad. You need to sign players 12 months in advance now. If all those guys left at once we'd be in wooden spoon territory for 2022.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

We need to do whatever we can to keep Papalii and Tapine imo. We can still be a competitive side as soon as next year with a few good moves in recruitment but if we lost those two it will be a few years before we're competitive again.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 7, 2021, 11:27 am
We need to do whatever we can to keep Papalii and Tapine imo. We can still be a competitive side as soon as next year with a few good moves in recruitment but if we lost those two it will be a few years before we're competitive again.
If you look at it purely through a skills lens you are spot on, but we don’t know what we don’t know. A half happy, half committed Papa is probably still one of the best front rowers in the game but if things are bad and players do want out it’s tough decision time. You sometimes have to shed talent to save culture. Agree with NR though- that big of a loss that quickly is going to sting.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:58 am But I still don't understand $1.6 million between Hodgson, G Williams and Croker - that seems too low when the figures bandied about are $800,000, $600,000 and $600,000 respectively for the three of them
They're probably assuming Croker is getting some cap exemption applied for long service. New players coming in won't get that.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

If that's true that Croker's knee is bone to bone - then he should really start thinking to his life after football. He is only thirty odd, he has a hell of a lot more life to live - nothing worse than not being able to 'do stuff' in later life.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Papalli and Tapine must be kept...
We would be insane to let them walk..
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 12:45 pm Papalli and Tapine must be kept...
If we can keep them moderately happy I agree but if they are hating on the joint and have the potential to create a toxic environment then it doesn’t matter how good they are. I don’t think things are that bad and I think we will keep them but just pointing out there are broader considerations than talent alone.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: May 7, 2021, 11:38 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:58 am But I still don't understand $1.6 million between Hodgson, G Williams and Croker - that seems too low when the figures bandied about are $800,000, $600,000 and $600,000 respectively for the three of them
They're probably assuming Croker is getting some cap exemption applied for long service. New players coming in won't get that.
He would be eligible for veteran players allowance ($200k), however so would Wighton and Papalii. Therefore the full amount would still be included in our cap whether Croker is there or not.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

It still amazes me that the Club would sign Croker to the end of 2022 (or 2023 as I've also seen reported). Then, it is the Raiders who dote on certain players without thinking of the consequences. Now there are no X-factor players in the roster this year while other club have an embarrassment of riches!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:29 pm
He would be eligible for veteran players allowance ($200k), however so would Wighton and Papalii. Therefore the full amount would still be included in our cap whether Croker is there or not.
What is the criteria? Would there be any clubs that don’t have someone on the books eligible to get this $200k?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Green Taipan wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:37 pm It still amazes me that the Club would sign Croker to the end of 2022 (or 2023 as I've also seen reported). Then, it is the Raiders who dote on certain players without thinking of the consequences. Now there are no X-factor players in the roster this year while other club have an embarrassment of riches!
I would have said Jack and Papa both have X factor. How are you defining X factor?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: May 7, 2021, 12:49 pm
If we can keep them moderately happy I agree but if they are hating on the joint and have the potential to create a toxic environment then it doesn’t matter how good they are. I don’t think things are that bad and I think we will keep them but just pointing out there are broader considerations than talent alone.
My understanding is that isn’t the case.
Both accepted their droppings and admitted their form hasn’t been great.

The disgruntlement was more a by product of muddled the bench use and how other players haven’t been held accountable. All this changed after Overhead Projector night...

I’m expecting better performances from the pair of them.
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Green Taipan wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:37 pm It still amazes me that the Club would sign Croker to the end of 2022 (or 2023 as I've also seen reported). Then, it is the Raiders who dote on certain players without thinking of the consequences. Now there are no X-factor players in the roster this year while other club have an embarrassment of riches!
This is especially true, since Ricky's whole game plan seems to rely around an x-factor player breaking the line.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:49 pm

The disgruntlement was more a by product of muddled the bench use and how other players haven’t been held accountable. All this changed after Overhead Projector night...

any more info on this "overhead projector Night"?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:38 pm
What is the criteria? Would there be any clubs that don’t have someone on the books eligible to get this $200k?
Main criteria is 8 years as part of the club's 1st grade roster. Croker, Jack and Paps all been here that long. Yes, most club's probably have somebody like that on the roster. Not all though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:49 pm

Beautiful- if they are back on track, heads in the right place and comfortable in the club going forward then I agree they are 2 absolute priority must have players. Both elite forwards.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:30 pm
Main criteria is 8 years as part of the club's 1st grade roster. Croker, Jack and Paps all been here that long. Yes, most club's probably have somebody like that on the roster. Not all though.
Cheers - 8 years is a fair haul.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:30 pm
Cheers - 8 years is a fair haul.
Don't think teams like Panthers or Knights would have anybody. Reckon most others would have a club stalwart still on the books.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Season on the line here for both teams, I suspect. Just a huge, huge game:

* Knights love, love, LOVE playing left. Ponga gets the ball, skips to the outside of his opposite, and creates an overlap, or gets Best one on one with his opposite. Hopefully Scott is better equipped this year to deal with Best, he has put on a few kilos, and is looking better than last year where he played under weight. We said it last week against Souths, but I really think Whitehead and Rapana need to be moved to the right (for attack, too, since Whitehead can give Scott some early ball). Simonsson wasn't at fault for all of the tries, but he was certainly not covering himself in glory in some of his decisions (and Stuart moved him). If George Williams is injured, a right side defence of Sam Williams and CHN will be a disaster. Defensively, our second rowers are absolutely crucial against Ponga. They need to number up, move well laterally, and make their one on ones when they need to (which they certainly will need to against Ponga).
* The Knights have a very impressive pack, and even last week in their heavy loss, Klemmer, Frizell, Barnett and Saifiti all made over 100m. If our line speed isn't up to scratch, they will get an easy roll on through the middle, and if they win the territory battle, we will be rucking it out of our own end like we have been, which will make it a frustrating game. If this does happen - I hope and pray for just a little bit of variety in our play, an early shift, an early kick, an offload, a tip on play - something. We can't stick to what we have been doing in every second half (outside back runs tackle 1-3, prop run tackle 4, kick under pressure tackle 5). Shift to the second rowers and let them have a run at the halves. It's a nice way of getting out of your own end, and if it is dry, is not a crazy risky play.
* I hope last week was a bit of a switch for Wighton. There were signs there - I have actually thought his short kicking has been decent, he seems to have added the "arching" grubber to his game, which is where you hit the side of the ball and curve it. It almost resulted in a try for Croker against Penrith, and got him an assist against Souths. I think doing some dirty carries helps get him involved in the game, particularly early.
* It has been said by everyone, but the bench rotations have to be spot on this week. I would love to see Sutton on the bench, he provides good impact. Tapine can struggle coming off the bench to get into the flow of the game, I think a good idea to swap them.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Timoko and Williams still in our 19 man squad, with James and Lui dropped..

Means that GWilly and Kris might still hve a little niggle and are being given as much time as possible to be ready?
Perth Based Raiders Fan
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The positive is that wagga is so backwards we are probably still good there
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Don't understand James being "rested". He was looking good in his opening stint against Bunnies and we didn't see him return. This year we've generally looked better in the middle when he's on the field.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The team is hungry and have put dramas aside: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart

It has been a difficult week for the Canberra Raiders.

The team is on a four game losing streak, with some big name players having been recently dropped or rested.

News filtered out on Tuesday night that Josh Hodgson had taken the decision to stand down as co-captain two weeks ago - reportedly after being told he would be dropped to the bench for the match against the Cowboys. Hodgson suffered a calf injury at training before the team list was announced. Since then, other clubs have expressed interest in Hodgson being given an early release by the Raiders.

It was also revealed on Tuesday that English half George Williams had informally approached the club about the possibility of an early release. He and his pregnant partner Charlotte, separated from family by international travel restrictions due to COVID, have been suffering homesickness. English clubs have said they are keen to talk to Williams about next season.

But coach Ricky Stuart is now just focussed on getting a win against the Newcastle Knights on Saturday.

The Knights, who have also fallen short of expectations this year, will be just as desperate as the Raiders to taste victory. Stuart says a lack of hunger amongst his own players is not the problem.

"Every game is a tough game and every team is desperate," Stuart said today.

"We haven't been far away over the last three or four weeks in winning games. A couple of poor choices, a couple of poor executions and we're leaking a try or two."

"It's not good enough. It's something we've spoken about and it's something we want to improve on."

"We're scoring enough points, we've just got to stop leaking a couple of softer tries. It's something we've worked on, spoken about and now we've just to execute it.

"It's not hunger. We've got really good players and defenders making some decisions in defence that are not at the NRL level. It's something we're working on and want improve on. Let's hope we get it tomorrow."

Stuart says that the team has dealt well with the dramas of the past week.

"The boys are great," he said.

"When you're going through a little bit of a tough period in regards to not winning football games, from my point of view the first thing I look at is how the player's energy is around the facility at training, when we're training, what the quality of the sessions are."

"The boys are upbeat, we're training well so that's a real positive sign."

"Hopefully a win's not far away and it fixes a lot of the uneasiness and the disgruntledness you get from losing."

"We all want to win and that creates a sour taste. But the boys are really good. I'm amazed at how they're handling this difficult situation. I'm looking forward to getting a good performance in, good enough to win."

Stuart was expressing confidence today about Hodgson and Williams staying with the club. He says the club will "get around George".

"People go through this type of situation," Stuart said.

"I've known about this for three weeks, so it's not new. We're getting around George and doing everything we can for him and Charlie."

"It's not uncommon for people to [suffer] homesickness. But it's not a disease, it goes away."

When asked about Hodgson's situation, Stuart said: "We knew about this two or three weeks ago. It hasn't surprised us. We've dealt with this. We've moved on."

Stuart said that he expects both George Williams (hamstring) and Sebastian Kris (ankle) will be fit for tomorrow.

"We've basically had George all week," Stuart said.

"It was a neural problem with his hamstring, came from his back last week. It was unfortunate timing of the injury happening in the warm up. But he's trained really well this week."

The Raiders mentor is also expecting a big performance from Josh Papalii after being "rested" last week. He's been named at starting prop for the clash with the Knights.

"Josh and I sat down and had a good chat about the week off last week on why we were doing it," Stuart said.

"He was the one ringing me over the weekend saying that he was hungry to play this week."

"It was important for the team to have one of our leaders of the pack wanting to play and be up front and starting. I'm hoping for and expecting a big performance from him.

Stuart praised the contribution that English forward Elliott Whitehead has made as stand-in captain in the past couple of weeks. The club formally announced on Wednesday that Whitehead would become co-captain, alongside Jarrod Croker.

"There's all different types of leadership and I like how the boys follow him," Stuart said.

"We have a couple of senior players there that have good, strong, influential actions and voice - and that's really important."

"Elliott's a very likable person and the boys follow his lead. He's been wonderful the last couple of weeks."

The Raiders announced on Friday afternoon that Ryan James and Dunamis Lui have been omitted from their squad to face the Knights, with Sam Williams and Matt Timoko still on the reserves list.

The Raiders and Knights will operate on level three game day COVID protocols because of cases this week in Sydney - meaning contact between players and fans will be restricted.

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about the clash with the Knights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... hts-clash/

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Knights: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... v-knights/

Stuart certain English duo will stay despite dramas: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/07/stu ... me-dramas/

Canberra Raiders put drama behind them: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders can prove doubters wrong by sticking boot into Knights: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hors and to a lesser extent Guler need to stand up and be counted tomorrow.

They certainly have another gear they can go to and they haven’t hit their best in their games so far. Our young guys have to take the bull by the horns not wait for Papa and Tapine.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Did anyone on here go make the weekend of it and go to the races today?

Looks like it is going to be perfect weather. Leaving early tomorrow morning. Think we are going to some markets that are on in town.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins

Post by Green Taipan »

Billy Walker wrote: May 7, 2021, 1:41 pm
I would have said Jack and Papa both have X factor. How are you defining X factor?
I think you mean "had". If they have the X factor we wouldn't look so abysmal this year!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

kiwi raider wrote:any more info on this "overhead projector Night"?
They wore PJs and projected Billy Madison up onto the wall. Ate buttered popcorn. Had the odd tickle fight.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Green Taipan wrote: May 8, 2021, 8:05 am
I think you mean "had". If they have the X factor we wouldn't look so abysmal this year!
Jack has Y Factor- why didn’t he pass, why did he kick it so hard, why didn’t he hold it.... nah he’ll kill it today!
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins

Post by Green Taipan »

Billy Walker wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:14 am
Green Taipan wrote: May 8, 2021, 8:05 am
Jack has Y Factor- why didn’t he pass, why did he kick it so hard, why didn’t he hold it.... nah he’ll kill it today!
Hope you are right; it's overdue!
Gold member 2023