Raiders and Knights the biggest losers in proposed conference system

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders and Knights the biggest losers in proposed conference system

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2021, 9:21 am Hate it. I want to play against all teams
100%,

Play everyone once or twice.

The whole 'conference system' works in the US because of travel. That's the reason why it is implemented. They are even talking about removing conferences to allow the best teams to meet in the Finals (basketball).

Why do we want to do the opposite for an Eastern Seaboard competition? Makes zero sense.

Brain fart ideas seem to be growing with this new administration..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:42 am
Peter wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:15 am
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 6:23 am Do we really get punished THAT much more under this system than the existing one? I mean, currently we always get an away game against the Titans, Cowboys and Warriors, the only significant difference under this new system would be we start to get away games against Brisbane again.

Surely that’s a good thing? I really miss the Brisbane games when we used to get them regularly.

I really don’t see that our travel increases significantly under this new system when we already make the longest road trips (except one) every season anyway.
It doesn’t change much from our perspective. But comparing the Raiders situation of having to travel long distances every second week, to that of a Sydney club who has a half hour to an hour bus trip to each game, you’d have to say that it would really affect recruitment.
Players would be losing up to 10 hours a week with their families to play in the interstate conference.
True, very true. Sydney teams would get a massive boon in that respect
That effectively happens now and im not seeing a huge amount of impact on the player transfer market
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I think the whole travel impact is being overstated massively in general. This isn't 1900 and they are going on some month long horse and cart trip. A 2-3 hour flight every couple weeks really isn't much of a deal.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm not against the conference idea. Just not split into Sydney and the rest. You can separate the Sydney teams into 2 groups and mix it with the outside teams. Still keep some local derbies and/or rivalries.

You could break them into East and West zones. Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Dogs in one group. Roosters, Bunnies, Sharks, Dragons in the other. Put Sea Eagles and Knights in either one. Raiders, Storm and Warriors in the southern zone. Broncos, Titans, Cowboys in the northern zone. Combine the one of the outer groups with a Sydney group to get your conference.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Wow. It's almost like the majority of you don't understand the concept at all.

Imagine my surprise.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

It would be crazy to do this. We decided to have a national competition for a reason. We don't want a NRL that essentially is like the current NSW / Qld Cup competitions where they are separate competitions and then the winners play against each other on grand final day.

I think it would be terrible for the interest in the comp in general. if your team was not a realistic chance of making the grand final, why would you pay attention to the other comp?

I am against the conference idea per se, but if you were going to do it, it would have to be mixed up between teams in different locations and change regularly.

But I see no need for it. One of the reasons we have a final 8 of 16 teams now is that there are all sorts of irregularities in the draw, but I think we can be very confident the best team will always make the top 8 and probably come to the fore in the finals.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

They still play each other! How are you people completely missing the point of this whole thing?
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Yeah, isn't it that there would still be a bunch of non-conference games throughout the year in addition to the 2 against all in your conference?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

hobbsy wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:15 pm Yeah, isn't it that there would still be a bunch of non-conference games throughout the year in addition to the 2 against all in your conference?
Yeah, you still play everyone at least once. The second game is just against teams in your conference.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

the main issue for most of the non Sydney clubs is lack of fans game attendance (and increased travel costs). You just won't get the same crowd playing NQL vs say Penrith in Canberra. For this to work and be slightly fairer the non Sydney conference teams should have say 2 more home games than the Sydney conference. So say there were 24 home and away rounds non Sydney conference would have 14 home games and Sydney conference 10 home games. I know this may decrease the revenue for Corporate Sponsorship. But if you are playing 3 or 4 games straight from Homebush some as the home team and some as the away does it really matter to the average punter?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kona_dream wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:43 pm the main issue for most of the non Sydney clubs is lack of fans game attendance (and increased travel costs). You just won't get the same crowd playing NQL vs say Penrith in Canberra. For this to work and be slightly fairer the non Sydney conference teams should have say 2 more home games than the Sydney conference. So say there were 24 home and away rounds non Sydney conference would have 14 home games and Sydney conference 10 home games. I know this may decrease the revenue for Corporate Sponsorship. But if you are playing 3 or 4 games straight from Homebush some as the home team and some as the away does it really matter to the average punter?
I don't understand the mathematics on that.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just remember guys and girls for all this to happen we need firstly..

TWO MORE CLUBS !!!

So we wait..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:03 pm I'm not against the conference idea. Just not split into Sydney and the rest. You can separate the Sydney teams into 2 groups and mix it with the outside teams. Still keep some local derbies and/or rivalries.

You could break them into East and West zones. Panthers, Eels, Tigers, Dogs in one group. Roosters, Bunnies, Sharks, Dragons in the other. Put Sea Eagles and Knights in either one. Raiders, Storm and Warriors in the southern zone. Broncos, Titans, Cowboys in the northern zone. Combine the one of the outer groups with a Sydney group to get your conference.
I think this would be a better idea for splitting the teams up rather than Sydney and non-Sydney. I'm also not 100% sold on the idea of having conference finals. Finals should be the 8 best teams. You could also do a top 6 with 7-10 to play off a week before the finals series as wildcard entries in to the top 8. That would provide an extra week of finals if the NRL wants to bring in an extra weekend of footy.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I propose they play all year round with no sleep.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

kona_dream wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:43 pm the main issue for most of the non Sydney clubs is lack of fans game attendance (and increased travel costs). You just won't get the same crowd playing NQL vs say Penrith in Canberra. For this to work and be slightly fairer the non Sydney conference teams should have say 2 more home games than the Sydney conference. So say there were 24 home and away rounds non Sydney conference would have 14 home games and Sydney conference 10 home games. I know this may decrease the revenue for Corporate Sponsorship. But if you are playing 3 or 4 games straight from Homebush some as the home team and some as the away does it really matter to the average punter?
Wouldn't away fan attendance for the other non-Sydney teams already be an issue?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2021, 11:38 am The issue is this... what’s happening now is not fair or reasonable. The argument that the proposal is not much different so let’s do it is deeply flawed. The NRL has a responsibility to do better than this, to run a competition that is conducted on a level playing field. What this proposal does is institutionalise advantage for Sydney teams and perpetuates disadvantage for those on the outer. Conferences that are geographically based are a terrible idea.

Anyone care to remember why Super League started? It was exactly this sort of Sydneycentric, suburban thinking.
Yet you have no sympathy for the Warriors playing two years on the road.

This is essentially a minor change to conferences by stealth we've had in recent years. I don't like the idea that this model guarantees Sydney a place in the GF. Other than that there doesn't seem to be too much change to what has been happening for a few years now. Plenty of non-Sydney teams make or win the GF so I'm not sure the travel burden will be significant.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:19 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 29, 2021, 11:38 am The issue is this... what’s happening now is not fair or reasonable. The argument that the proposal is not much different so let’s do it is deeply flawed. The NRL has a responsibility to do better than this, to run a competition that is conducted on a level playing field. What this proposal does is institutionalise advantage for Sydney teams and perpetuates disadvantage for those on the outer. Conferences that are geographically based are a terrible idea.

Anyone care to remember why Super League started? It was exactly this sort of Sydneycentric, suburban thinking.

This is essentially a minor change to conferences by stealth we've had in recent years. I don't like the idea that this model guarantees Sydney a place in the GF. Other than that there doesn't seem to be too much change to what has been happening for a few years now. Plenty of non-Sydney teams make or win the GF so I'm not sure the travel burden will be significant.
Change your way of thinking about it then... it guarantees we don't have TWO Sydney teams in the Grand Final, an occurrence that has happened more over the last 20 years than not having one.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:31 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:19 pm

Change your way of thinking about it then... it guarantees we don't have TWO Sydney teams in the Grand Final, an occurrence that has happened more over the last 20 years than not having one.
I have no issue with 2 Sydney teams making it if they are the best in show.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

So long as the Expansion conference got a subsidy from NRL HQ to help cover the costs of flights and accommodation the Sydney conference wouldn't have to bear, I can't see a real issue with this.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’ve been pro-conference for a while now, but was in favour of 4 team conferences.

I was thinking this would be disadvantageous for us due to the travel, but the Man2 (Nickman and Botman) have made it make sense to me.

Have it Sydney vs non-Sydney. That way your Gus and Buzz’s of the world can have a cry when Sydney loses
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:17 pm I’ve been pro-conference for a while now, but was in favour of 4 team conferences.

I was thinking this would be disadvantageous for us due to the travel, but the Man2 (Nickman and Botman) have made it make sense to me.

Have it Sydney vs non-Sydney. That way your Gus and Buzz’s of the world can have a cry when Sydney loses
They'll also have a cry the first time a Sydney team misses out on finals despite having a better home and away record than the fourth placed non-Sydney team.

It'll be absolutely **** glorious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

On the travel I'm interested if it affects the recruitment of players, if I'm in a Sydney team I sleep in my own bed all bar a few weekends whereas playing for raiders or knights means guaranteed travel.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:31 pm On the travel I'm interested if it affects the recruitment of players, if I'm in a Sydney team I sleep in my own bed all bar a few weekends whereas playing for raiders or knights means guaranteed travel.

So... pretty much the same as now??
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

BJ wrote: April 29, 2021, 12:03 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Separating into a Sydney comp and an everyone else comp is a stupid idea for a sport they pretend to be a national one.
That’s the nub of the issue.

A national competition shouldn’t be primarily based out of a single city.
Like the AFL?

You can't deny history.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:44 pm
It would mean that a majority of the non Sydney conference and the Sydney conference games would be played at the home ground of the non conference team. If each team plays say 6 "inter conference" games 4 would be home games for the outside Sydney and 2 would be played as Sydney home games.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:17 pm I’ve been pro-conference for a while now, but was in favour of 4 team conferences.

They'll also have a cry the first time a Sydney team misses out on finals despite having a better home and away record than the fourth placed non-Sydney team.

It'll be absolutely **** glorious.
That’s right! Next minute they’ll be crying to bring back the Wildcard… again
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Raiders and Knights the biggest losers in proposed conference system

bonehead wrote:On the travel I'm interested if it affects the recruitment of players, if I'm in a Sydney team I sleep in my own bed all bar a few weekends whereas playing for raiders or knights means guaranteed travel.

They’re NRL players. Even now they’re not sleeping in the beds. They’re sleeping in parks, under trees or in their teammates’ partner’s bed
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on April 29, 2021, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kona_dream wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:03 pm
It would mean that a majority of the non Sydney conference and the Sydney conference games would be played at the home ground of the non conference team. If each team plays say 6 "inter conference" games 4 would be home games for the outside Sydney and 2 would be played as Sydney home games.
Wait, why would NQL play Penrith in Canberra? I'm genuinely confused by this whole post.

Explain it to me like I'm a stupid person.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

bonehead wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:31 pm On the travel I'm interested if it affects the recruitment of players, if I'm in a Sydney team I sleep in my own bed all bar a few weekends whereas playing for raiders or knights means guaranteed travel.

Reckon your severely discounting what sorts of activities most NRL players are up to on the weekends

Ah **** beaten to it by Fui
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by kona_dream »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:07 pm
Wait, why would NQL play Penrith in Canberra? I'm genuinely confused by this whole post.

I will give it a go.

There are 2 types of game. "inta conference" ie Raiders V Cowboys "inter conference" Raiders vs Roosters

For the "inta conference" games you play your normal home and away ie you play each other at your home venue and then at theirs.
For the "inter conference" games lets say Raiders are to play Roosters, Tigers, Eels, Panthers, Dogs, Manly
The Raiders would play the Roosters, Tigers, Eels and Panthers all at Canberra. Then play the Dogs and Manly at their home grounds.

Each of the "Sydney conference teams" are essentially moving what would under the current system home games to be played in Canberra against Canberra. This is what happens when teams take their home game and plays it in Brisbane against Brisbane. The idea is to better average out the overall crowd under the proposed location based conference as it gives the non Sydney teams fans more opportunity to see their team play without having to travel hundreds of KMs. Dogs fans simply just sit on the other side of the stadium depending on if they are the home or away team currently when playing many of the Sydney teams.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:
BJ wrote: April 29, 2021, 12:03 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Separating into a Sydney comp and an everyone else comp is a stupid idea for a sport they pretend to be a national one.
That’s the nub of the issue.

A national competition shouldn’t be primarily based out of a single city.
Like the AFL?

You can't deny history.
Not sure what you mean?

Are you saying AFL already has a Melbourne based conference?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:06 pm
I am against the conference idea per se, but if you were going to do it, it would have to be mixed up between teams in different locations and change regularly.

No, no, no, no!...
Man, that's just the worst idea i've seen on this yet!

You don't build marquee match ups and rivalries, which are the key match ups that drive attendance and ratings by having teams chop and change around like that...

You build them by making a smaller group of teams play each other more often and in games with higher stakes... right now raiders fans really couldnt give a **** about say Brisbane... there is no real rivalry there, if we played them tonight, losing the game matters but we're not really bothered about losing to Brisbane, because who **** cares?... but if we're the same conference, losing to them is HUGE. That's an inter conference game, the stakes automatically bigger...

The way sports typically work playing in big stakes games frequently creates rivalries... rivalries create marquee/showcase games, and those games the ones that drive revenue likes crowds, ratings, TV money etc...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've been talking about this for years. If we had 2 more non-Sydney teams in the comp (Brisbane and whoever) we have 9 Sydney teams including Penrith and 9 other teams.

Play each of the team in your conference twice and each team in the other conference once and that gives you 25 rounds.

Each team could play at least one game a year in a regional area, providing for 12 home games, 12 away games and 1 in a neutral venue.

Generates 33 extra regular season games each year, with one extra game each round and an additional round, so more content to sell.

I think it's almost inevitable.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kona_dream wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:23 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:07 pm

I will give it a go.

There are 2 types of game. "inta conference" ie Raiders V Cowboys "inter conference" Raiders vs Roosters

For the "inta conference" games you play your normal home and away ie you play each other at your home venue and then at theirs.
For the "inter conference" games lets say Raiders are to play Roosters, Tigers, Eels, Panthers, Dogs, Manly
The Raiders would play the Roosters, Tigers, Eels and Panthers all at Canberra. Then play the Dogs and Manly at their home grounds.

Each of the "Sydney conference teams" are essentially moving what would under the current system home games to be played in Canberra against Canberra. This is what happens when teams take their home game and plays it in Brisbane against Brisbane. The idea is to better average out the overall crowd under the proposed location based conference as it gives the non Sydney teams fans more opportunity to see their team play without having to travel hundreds of KMs. Dogs fans simply just sit on the other side of the stadium depending on if they are the home or away team currently when playing many of the Sydney teams.
Ok, I get what you're saying now. We'd actually play 9 "inter conference" games (one against each in the Sydney conference), so you'd suggest it's something like a 6-3 Home/Away split?

I like it!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:24 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:06 pm

No, no, no, no!...
Man, that's just the worst idea i've seen on this yet!

You don't build marquee match ups and rivalries, which are the key match ups that drive attendance and ratings by having teams chop and change around like that...

You build them by making a smaller group of teams play each other more often and in games with higher stakes... right now raiders fans really couldnt give a **** about say Brisbane... there is no real rivalry there, if we played them tonight, losing the game matters but we're not really bothered about losing to Brisbane, because who **** cares?... but if we're the same conference, losing to them is HUGE. That's an inter conference game, the stakes automatically bigger...

The way sports typically work playing in big stakes games frequently creates rivalries... rivalries create marquee/showcase games, and those games the ones that drive revenue likes crowds, ratings, TV money etc...
Exactly. Also people saying each conference should have four Sydney teams and four non-Sydney ones are completely missing the point of the whole conference system altogether!