13%
Rabbitohs 13+
56%

Total votes: 16

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: 2021 Rd 8 V Rabbitohs: Game Day

Post by Bay53 »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:07 am He needs ball though. His attack will never come easy when he gets no ball, and unfortunately, both Williams and Wighton play left.
Yep agree with that assessment.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:09 am
Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:53 am
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:04 am
Why DID we sign James? What’s the point?
And I like James as a guy and player...
I left the game thinking the same thing, BUT to be fair to the player and those who made the decision to sign him, he was brought here to be the 17th man in a grand final side.

If he plays a role like he did in the Tigers game, or even he plays exactly the same role he did last night, where I thought he gave us a really good platform, and then we have Tapine and Papalii coming off the bench and being the best forwards in the game, and we win, James is a very astute signing.

As it is at the moment and we are expecting him to have a good first stint, then come back again in the 2nd half and do the same, I just don’t think his body is up to it, and that is why Ricky used him how he did.
The other thing I will add on James is I think he is playing with an injured knee. As we know he had a lot of knee injuries but in those first couple of games he had no strapping, he lasted two seconds against the Warriors but I reckon it was the Titans game when he hurt his knee. Last night he had enough strapping to play in a rugby line out.
Ahhh ok, I didn't notice that. Why wouldn't we play Lui then and let James rest?

I don't see the point of having all these middles and playing one busted.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:02 am
Bay53 wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:00 am
Mickey_Raider wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:52 am If someone listened to Bennett and Stuart’s pressers without knowing the result beforehand they would think Souths lost.

Bennett wasn’t happy with the performance of his team whereas Sticky seemed pretty positive about the performance and saved his ire for the refs.

Pretty emblematic of where the two clubs sit at the moment. Souths are up to their eyeballs in a title fight whereas we are up to our eyeballs in whingeing, excuses and accountability avoidance.
I just watched the presser. I can’t disagree with one word Ricky said. There was effort there last night, but we make the same mistakes continually.
What I found interesting is that I thought our attack looked the best it has all season with Whitehead playing the right half role. We attacked both edges and looked quite good doing it, whereas normally Scott and co catch a cold down that side.

It's no coincidence to me that Scott looked the best attacking wise that he has in two seasons in green. Just needs more ball.
Whether or not you agree with the ref bashing or effort isn’t really my point.

We lost by 14 points and Bennett was dissatisfied. And it wasn’t just vanity, they were competing at 50-something percent during that first half.

I think the differing presser reactions betray an emerging gulf in expectations and quality between a title contender and an also ran.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:40 am
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:37 am
Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:36 am My take on the Obstructions last night simply with the fact they aren't rewarding effort. The last one, if a player drops in general play before a player runs around them it is generally play on. It only changes on a scoring play. CHN made a huge effort to not interfere with play - and didn't - but that effort was not rewarded. The Benji one actively allowed the Bunker to reward him for taking the soft option. If the Ref can subjectively rule players are 'Milking' the ruck and yell it out every set then why can't the Video Ref rule a player 'Milks' an Obstruction when it is there for all to see and is obvious, not subjective?
I thought the first one was correct, but the second one shouldn't have counted because literally nobody was obstructed.

But it is what it is, I can see why they ruled it that way, I just disagree in this instance.
Yes, I understand that technically the rulings are correct. I just despise the fact players can be rewarded for taking a soft option on purpose to milk a penalty.
Yeah, but Guler shouldn't have been just standing there like a dummy, that was a problem, and that's why a penalty was deserved.

CHN on the other side made every attempt to not get involved in the play, didn't obstruct a single defender and common sense really should've applied to the ruling.
I think the NRL/bunker has been pretty consistent with an obstruction being called when the ball is caught on the inside of the blocker.

The first one is quite interesting. I thought the blocker actually did run through the line but then the defensive line readjusted. Benji actually deliberately moves forward and essentially obstructs himself.

I thought both were clever plays from a well coached team. The second obstruction looked to me like the defenders deliberately let him through to score because they knew it would be disallowed.

Both decisions were correct. As others have pointed out the disappointing part is we've been dudded a few times before.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

We all know perfectly well why obstruction is reffed as it is in the NRL. OK, there are occasional inconsistencies, but still...

It is done the way it is precisely to as to give a black-and-white inflexible rule, and take it out of the hands of referees' 'interpretation', as much as possible. Because, in the past, when refs had more leeway, everyone moaned. So they said, OK, you can have a black-and-white rule, then. You may or may not agree with it but that's the way it is right now.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:36 am My take on the Obstructions last night simply with the fact they aren't rewarding effort. The last one, if a player drops in general play before a player runs around them it is generally play on. It only changes on a scoring play. CHN made a huge effort to not interfere with play - and didn't - but that effort was not rewarded. The Benji one actively allowed the Bunker to reward him for taking the soft option. If the Ref can subjectively rule players are 'Milking' the ruck and yell it out every set then why can't the Video Ref rule a player 'Milks' an Obstruction when it is there for all to see and is obvious, not subjective?
I thought the first one was correct, but the second one shouldn't have counted because literally nobody was obstructed.

But it is what it is, I can see why they ruled it that way, I just disagree in this instance.
Yes, I understand that technically the rulings are correct. I just despise the fact players can be rewarded for taking a soft option on purpose to milk a penalty.
Yeah, but Guler shouldn't have been just standing there like a dummy, that was a problem, and that's why a penalty was deserved.

CHN on the other side made every attempt to not get involved in the play, didn't obstruct a single defender and common sense really should've applied to the ruling.
I think the NRL/bunker has been pretty consistent with an obstruction being called when the ball is caught on the inside of the blocker.

The first one is quite interesting. I thought the blocker actually did run through the line but then the defensive line readjusted. Benji actually deliberately moves forward and essentially obstructs himself.

I thought both were clever plays from a well coached team. The second obstruction looked to me like the defenders deliberately let him through to score because they knew it would be disallowed.

Both decisions were correct. As others have pointed out the disappointing part is we've been dudded a few times before.
Yeah, fair enough. At the time I thought both would be No Try, and they were. I just disagreed with the second one.

The Sutton review is the one that bugged me the most, I’ll have to go back and rewatch that passage of play, but I swear the bunker only reviewed the last few seconds.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Oh, and another thing, did anyone see the full replay of the Sutton/Burgess debarkle? It seemed to me that Sutton got tackled, and when getting up to play the ball Burgess was all over him and he dropped it. But when they went to the replay they only showed the last portion of the play so it looked like Sutton dropped it in the tackle.

Anyone else notice that or has the opportunity to review the FULL play?
It was no different to Marshall being awarded a penalty with a few minutes on the clock. I believe the challenge was for not clearing the ruck, not a strip.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Oh, and another thing, did anyone see the full replay of the Sutton/Burgess debarkle? It seemed to me that Sutton got tackled, and when getting up to play the ball Burgess was all over him and he dropped it. But when they went to the replay they only showed the last portion of the play so it looked like Sutton dropped it in the tackle.

It was no different to Marshall being awarded a penalty with a few minutes on the clock. I believe the challenge was for not clearing the ruck, not a strip.
Like I said, I’ll have to review the whole passage of play. I don’t think the bunker reviewed enough footage, I’m sure the tackle had been completed and he was getting up to play the ball, but the few seconds the bunker reviewed looked like he was still getting tackled.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Like I said, I’ll have to review the whole passage of play. I don’t think the bunker reviewed enough footage, I’m sure the tackle had been completed and he was getting up to play the ball, but the few seconds the bunker reviewed looked like he was still getting tackled.
Agreed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So, I'm hearing strong rumours (as in I may have personally seen) that now Tapine's wife has had a public shot at Rocky Stewart, essentially saying that blaming the ref is pointless when his bench use is "killing us", in particular to one "international forward" who warmed the bench for 50 minutes.

EDIT

Nothing to see here though, lads.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 7:36 am My issues with the Obstructions last night lay simply with the fact they aren't rewarding effort. The last one, if a player drops in general play before a player runs around them it is generally play on. It only changes on a scoring play. CHN made a huge effort to not interfere with play - and didn't - but that effort was not rewarded. The Benji one actively allowed the Bunker to reward him for taking the soft option. If the Ref can subjectively rule players are 'Milking' the ruck and yell it out every set then why can't the Video Ref rule a player 'Milks' an Obstruction when it is there for all to see and is obvious, not subjective?
This is exactly the issue out of last night. The definition of an obstruction is that a defender is denied an opportunity to make a tackle. It was clear last night that Benji made a decision not to an attempt a tackle when he knew he could not stop Jack. He changed direction to run into Emre when he made that decision. As such he was not denied an opportunity, he made a decision.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:30 am So, I'm hearing strong rumours (as in I may have personally seen) that now Tapine's wife has had a public shot at Rocky Stewart, essentially saying that blaming the ref is pointless when his bench use is "killing us", in particular to one "international forward" who warmed the bench for 50 minutes.

EDIT

Well its true the bench use is terrible lol.

Still a bit of a worry that players partners are having a crack.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pete Cash wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:35 am
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:30 am So, I'm hearing strong rumours (as in I may have personally seen) that now Tapine's wife has had a public shot at Rocky Stewart, essentially saying that blaming the ref is pointless when his bench use is "killing us", in particular to one "international forward" who warmed the bench for 50 minutes.

EDIT

Well its true the bench use is terrible lol.

Still a bit of a worry that players partners are having a crack.
One is worrying. EDIT
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

To be fair, Tapine made efforts in his first stint, but his second stint didn't look as energetic or committed. If he wants to be seen as an international rep player, then every stint that he plays should be at that calibre, no matter how long he spends sitting on the bench.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Lets have a look at the middle forwards minutes from last night.

James - 23 minutes
Guler - 54 minutes
Sutton - 54 minutes
Havili- 28 minutes
Tapine- 32 minutes
Horsburgh- 42 minutes
Soliola - 9 minutes

Now I think almost everyones numbers are wrong there. I actually cannot remember Guler doing much wrong so thats probably decent time for him. That gets a pass. I feel like Sutton was starting to struggle with how much Souths were working him and could have played less minutes. Horsburgh looked gassed at times. Sia only playing 9 minutes while we were obviously struggling was silly. James well if hes not injured thats insane. Tapine might be lacking a little fitness but he was bending the line as much as anyone
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:15 am
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. At the time I thought both would be No Try, and they were. I just disagreed with the second one.

The Sutton review is the one that bugged me the most, I’ll have to go back and rewatch that passage of play, but I swear the bunker only reviewed the last few seconds.
I can't argue with either obstruction decision because technically they were correct. In context of a game it's does create a bad look. Benji had no intention of tackling Jack on the first one. He had every intention of being obstructed. To a casual observer it looks wrong.

2nd one was similar in that the defender basically let Jack run past him while CHN was laying on the ground. This one is a bit more fuzzy for me in regards to rule interpretation. You run behind your player and take an advantage then it's a penalty every time. However I don't think I've ever seen this situation before where the player hit the deck to eliminate any obstruction to the defense. This one might be a case of being over technical in interpretation. In reality an obstruction penalty somebody needs to be obstructed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Pete Cash wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:43 am Lets have a look at the middle forwards minutes from last night.

James - 23 minutes
Guler - 54 minutes
Sutton - 54 minutes
Havili- 28 minutes
Tapine- 32 minutes
Horsburgh- 42 minutes
Soliola - 9 minutes

Now I think almost everyones numbers are wrong there. I actually cannot remember Guler doing much wrong so thats probably decent time for him. That gets a pass. I feel like Sutton was starting to struggle with how much Souths were working him and could have played less minutes. Horsburgh looked gassed at times. Sia only playing 9 minutes while we were obviously struggling was silly. James well if hes not injured thats insane. Tapine might be lacking a little fitness but he was bending the line as much as anyone
Spot on.
As I said in the Sutton thread, he shouldn’t be starting.
Tapine should be getting the larger chunk of the minutes with Papalli when he returns...as starters!
The 9 minutes from SIA is ridiculous (not SIAs fault)
Ricky has really let the whole team down with his interchange in 2021...single biggest problem we have this season given the compounding effect fatigue has on all other facets of the game.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

EDIT

Shhh. They'll delete your post mate. My posts about this last night have mysteriously disappeared.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Pete Cash wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:43 am Lets have a look at the middle forwards minutes from last night.

James - 23 minutes
Guler - 54 minutes
Sutton - 54 minutes
Havili- 28 minutes
Tapine- 32 minutes
Horsburgh- 42 minutes
Soliola - 9 minutes

He has too many middles to choose from each week. Honestly, when Hodgson comes back he needs to pick his starting pack then a bench of Starling, 2 x middles, back.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I honestly think he has the minutes written down on a bit of paper before the game starts and he does not deviate from this plan unless he is forced to. Souths targeted Sutton and worked him over in the ruck to the degree Cummins would allow. This tired him out a bit. Its not an insult to Sutton to chuck on Sia or someone fresh if hes struggling because Souths went hard at him
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

James - 23 minutes
Guler - 54 minutes
Sutton - 54 minutes
Havili- 28 minutes
Tapine- 32 minutes
Horsburgh- 42 minutes
Soliola - 9 minutes

I will say that at the ground, I was really disappointed with a couple of things from Guler. He was not ripping in. The very first hit up, taking that kick return he sets the scene by running to the defensive line and then stopping to wait for the contact. It looked very soft- my mates kind of turned to each other like "oh oh, we might be stuffed here". It didn't look good.

Next hit up from him was similar.

I've previously been a big Guler fan but little things like that just lose you the battle. It's pretty clear who rips in and who doesn't. Didn't bother riding the issue the whole game, he probably did a lot of good things. But soft start.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

BadnMean wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:31 am

James - 23 minutes
Guler - 54 minutes
Sutton - 54 minutes
Havili- 28 minutes
Tapine- 32 minutes
Horsburgh- 42 minutes
Soliola - 9 minutes

I will say that at the ground, I was really disappointed with a couple of things from Guler. He was not ripping in. The very first hit up, taking that kick return he sets the scene by running to the defensive line and then stopping to wait for the contact. It looked very soft- my mates kind of turned to each other like "oh oh, we might be stuffed here". It didn't look good.

Next hit up from him was similar.

I've previously been a big Guler fan but little things like that just lose you the battle. It's pretty clear who rips in and who doesn't. Didn't bother riding the issue the whole game, he probably did a lot of good things. But soft start.
I don't see the Guler hype at all. And Young (who I love) has looked terrible the last few weeks after a good start to the year. We really need our young guys playing well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:37 am I don't see the Guler hype at all. And Young (who I love) has looked terrible the last few weeks after a good start to the year. We really need our young guys playing well.
You LOVE him?? Why don't you marry him then?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:45 am
Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:37 am I don't see the Guler hype at all. And Young (who I love) has looked terrible the last few weeks after a good start to the year. We really need our young guys playing well.
I'm already married to a carrot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:46 am
The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:45 am
I'm already married to a carrot.
Hmmmm... well, can I marry him then?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Did anything cause the switch between Rapana and Simonsen last night? Was it done with defence on mind as Simonsen kept running out the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rick wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:59 am Did anything cause the switch between Rapana and Simonsen last night? Was it done with defence on mind as Simonsen kept running out the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was after Scott and Simo let in two easy tries and Scott abused Simo.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Is Tapine serious? She's had it up for 11 hrs and she's public.. he won't tell her to take it down???
Wow he's not happy with Ricky too
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

radicalraider wrote: April 30, 2021, 10:03 am Is Tapine serious? She's had it up for 11 hrs and she's public.. he won't tell her to take it down???
Nothing to see here though, folks. EDIT
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2021, 10:10 am
radicalraider wrote: April 30, 2021, 10:03 am Is Tapine serious? She's had it up for 11 hrs and she's public.. he won't tell her to take it down???
Nothing to see here though, folks. EDIT
And I'm sure it's just EDIT
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Hazza wrote: April 29, 2021, 11:49 pm Seen a few people praising the lads for 'having a crack'. Admirable effort etc.. They're 1st grade Rugby League players, they shouldn't be praised for trying. That should be a minimum requirement I'd have thought. It's like praising the postman for delivering your mail.
I cannot agree more with this.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Winning will solve a lot of problems and relieve the simmering tensions. I almost feel sorry for the side we eventually put 40 on to get the season back on track. Top four hopes look shot but we're still good enough to cause some trouble IF we get things right.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

I could write an essay about our issues but it would be a waste of time.

Bottom line is sad but it’s true, we just don’t have what it takes to match it with the best teams in the competition.

Our team is too old and slow and the premiership window is unfortunately gone.

Rebuild the roster.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

What is she saying?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Smells fishy doesn't it.

Lui gets dropped. Papa loses his zet for life. Tapine getting dropped for unspecified reasons. Missus posting attention grabber social media disses.

Tricky dressing room situation. A few wins would probably smooth it all out. A few more losses and you're going to need a squad clean out or something.