All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2022

Post by Rickmando »

afgtnk wrote: August 3, 2021, 3:55 pm I'm gonna change my username to include the name 'Rick'. It'll be done mockingly first, a piss take, but later when I jinx it, I'll pretend I did it on purpose to show my support for Ricky.

'Rickashsghs;lsDjg'. Nice ring to it.
But then there’s those of us who will hang onto the irony until the great man is fired out of a cannon into the sun…
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'll give that to you, Rickmando. You've definitely never hid your disdain for the guy. Ever.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

No one will celebrate harder than me when Rick is finally shown the door…. In 2046
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: August 3, 2021, 8:51 pm No one will celebrate harder than me when Rick is finally shown the door…. In 2046
Is that how long I will need to wait until the incoming coach puts Croker out to pasture still 2 points shy of some record nobody cares for?
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: August 3, 2021, 9:16 pm
Rickmando wrote: August 3, 2021, 8:51 pm No one will celebrate harder than me when Rick is finally shown the door…. In 2046
Is that how long I will need to wait until the incoming coach puts Croker out to pasture still 2 points shy of some record nobody cares for?
Yes that’s probably how long getting to that record will take for him Bill, given he doesn’t look likely to ever go up in 4’s these days
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: August 3, 2021, 9:24 pm
Yes that’s probably how long getting to that record will take for him Bill, given he doesn’t look likely to ever go up in 4’s these days
Won’t stop GE from giving him 6’s each week…
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: August 3, 2021, 9:30 pm
Rickmando wrote: August 3, 2021, 9:24 pm
Won’t stop GE from giving him 6’s each week…
Is that /100? Sounds about right
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

2022 it seems HSS and Timoko are the guys for centre, with (fingers crossed) Savage fullback. I don't know where that leaves CNK. Not sure he's fast enough for wing

Kris is a bench utility more and more for mine
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 12, 2021, 10:26 pm 2022 it seems HSS and Timoko are the guys for centre, with (fingers crossed) Savage fullback. I don't know where that leaves CNK. Not sure he's fast enough for wing

Maybe
1. Savage
2. HSS
3. Timoko
4. CNK
5. Simo/Semi

If Rapana goes around one more year I reckon he could serve some value as a bench utility over Kris?
Up The Milk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'd play CNK at wing to interchange with Savage at fullback. CNK at fullback when we are defending.

HSS and Timoko at centre. Kris on the bench.

I don't give a **** if we need to play Croker in NSW cup paying $600,000 to him if he doesn't retire. Packer and Chris McQueen were on more playing NSW Cup. He's not a FG. Stuart and Don stuffed up.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 12, 2021, 10:52 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: August 12, 2021, 10:26 pm 2022 it seems HSS and Timoko are the guys for centre, with (fingers crossed) Savage fullback. I don't know where that leaves CNK. Not sure he's fast enough for wing

Maybe
1. Savage
2. HSS
3. Timoko
4. CNK
5. Simo/Semi

If Rapana goes around one more year I reckon he could serve some value as a bench utility over Kris?
Your wingers are going to catch colds with that centre pairing. Timoko MUST MUST MUST learn to pass, otherwise he may as well play wing. CNK can do enough to at least setup his winger on easy through the hands plays, but wont exactly be creative.

I think you have the right players, just in the wrong order.

Id go:
1. Savage
2. CNK
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa

I too like the idea of Kris as the 'tweener' edge/back on the bench.

Not the quickest wingers in the world, but our centres are pretty sharp, and Savage is a 'home run hitter'. Those 2 on the wing will give us the meters out of our end though. They are also pretty safe under high balls etc.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

If you look at position by position there are some glaring holes...
FB - CNK, Savage, Simmo, Rapa
Wing - Rapa, Savage, HSS, Simmo, Semi, Anderson
Centre - Croker*, Scott#, Timoko, Kris, HSS, CNK
Halves - Jack, Sammy, Schnieder, Frawley^
Edges - Whitey, CHN, Young, Rushton, Esra, Kris
Middles - Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Horse, Guler, Young, James, Mooney, Rushton, Havili^, Lui^, Sia*
Hooker - Hodgo, Starlo, Trevillyan, Havili^

* Injury/retirement pending
# Pending board decision
^ New contract pending

Assessment:
FB and wing - I think we have enough options They are mostly young, talented and generally cap helpful.

Centre - Im going to assuming Scott is gone, but we will have to wait on the official word. If Croker is gone too so we might be short a centre next year. Probably needs to be a depth guy, either really young guy to develop or a experienced journeyman type guy; someone who inst pushing our current young guys out. However, if you can find a sneaky good outside back without a spot, im not going to turn 1 down.

HALVES...HALVES! We all know this 1 is a shocker.

Edges - In the modern game, Id argue the most important position outside of the spine is edge. Most teams are looking for a Kikau, Fifita, Papali'i (iPapa) or Crichton (Gus). In CHN we have that type of edge player. The question becomes, who do you partner him with? Whitehead is the ball playing tough nut guy. Huddo is the high motor, physical presence (my preference would be for him, or Whitey to play lock). Outside of that, we are in trouble IMO. Kris MIGHT become a handy 'tweener' type guy. Rushton had been playing middle in NSW Cup. Im hoping that was a 'toughening up' thing rather than conversion thing, but looks to be in a similar mould to Shaun Lane. Esra, he is a big human, and could be a Olakau'atu or iPapa. Probably still a bit young to really know, but maybe. I think this is a sneaky need for us.

Middle - I think we have enough middles. Its more about getting the pairings/ rotations right.

Hooker - I think we are sweet here too.

In short Id say our top 3 needs are Half, Edge and Centre.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Matt wrote: August 18, 2021, 2:14 pm If you look at position by position there are some glaring holes...
FB - CNK, Savage, Simmo, Rapa
Wing - Rapa, Savage, HSS, Simmo, Semi, Anderson
Centre - Croker*, Scott#, Timoko, Kris, HSS, CNK
Halves - Jack, Sammy, Schnieder, Frawley^
Edges - Whitey, CHN, Young, Rushton, Esra, Kris
Middles - Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Horse, Guler, Young, James, Mooney, Rushton, Havili^, Lui^, Sia*
Hooker - Hodgo, Starlo, Trevillyan, Havili^

* Injury/retirement pending
# Pending board decision
^ New contract pending

Assessment:
FB and wing - I think we have enough options They are mostly young, talented and generally cap helpful.

Centre - Im going to assuming Scott is gone, but we will have to wait on the official word. If Croker is gone too so we might be short a centre next year. Probably needs to be a depth guy, either really young guy to develop or a experienced journeyman type guy; someone who inst pushing our current young guys out. However, if you can find a sneaky good outside back without a spot, im not going to turn 1 down.

HALVES...HALVES! We all know this 1 is a shocker.

Edges - In the modern game, Id argue the most important position outside of the spine is edge. Most teams are looking for a Kikau, Fifita, Papali'i (iPapa) or Crichton (Gus). In CHN we have that type of edge player. The question becomes, who do you partner him with? Whitehead is the ball playing tough nut guy. Huddo is the high motor, physical presence (my preference would be for him, or Whitey to play lock). Outside of that, we are in trouble IMO. Kris MIGHT become a handy 'tweener' type guy. Rushton had been playing middle in NSW Cup. Im hoping that was a 'toughening up' thing rather than conversion thing, but looks to be in a similar mould to Shaun Lane. Esra, he is a big human, and could be a Olakau'atu or iPapa. Probably still a bit young to really know, but maybe. I think this is a sneaky need for us.

Middle - I think we have enough middles. Its more about getting the pairings/ rotations right.

Hooker - I think we are sweet here too.

In short Id say our top 3 needs are Half, Edge and Centre.
Great post. I agree, but only think we are one good half and a good coach away from challenging
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Wonder if we'd go in for Cotric at all, seeing as though he is potentially on the outer at the Dogs?

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Pearce
8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Hodgson
15. Kris
16. Guler
17. Sutton

18. Rapana
19. Schnieder
20. Horsburgh
21. Mooney
22. Simonsson
23. Valemei
24. James
25. Frawley

Question marks over Lui and Havili you'd think but they could come into the equation. James may still leave before next season too.

Anderson, Rushton, Esera, Treviliyan waiting in the wings.

Wishful thinking about Pearce and Cotric no doubt but it certainly makes us look stronger. Acquisition of Cotric definitely a lot less necessary than a half but I think it would give us some proven experience, xfactor and ability in that backline which we may lack.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t be looking at Cotric - we need pace. Savage it a huge tick but I want another flyer on the end of the backline. I think Cotric has gone from Blues winger to struggling to be in the top 10 in the game. Definitely not in my top 5 wingers.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raider47 wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:14 pm Wonder if we'd go in for Cotric at all, seeing as though he is potentially on the outer at the Dogs?

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Pearce
8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Hodgson
15. Kris
16. Guler
17. Sutton

18. Rapana
19. Schnieder
20. Horsburgh
21. Mooney
22. Simonsson
23. Valemei
24. James
25. Frawley

Question marks over Lui and Havili you'd think but they could come into the equation. James may still leave before next season too.

Wishful thinking about Pearce and Cotric no doubt but it certainly makes us look stronger. Acquisition of Cotric definitely a lot less necessary than a half but I think it would give us some proven experience, xfactor and ability in that backline which we may lack.
That would be an extraordinary bit of wheeler dealing. HSS and Savage look quick, Cotric + Timoko would be a speed upgrade on Rapana/Croker at any rate.

Seems a bit of a luxury though and not sure he'd drop his price by enough- he's no longer a boom top 3 winger, still good but he'd need to come down a couple hundred k from his last deal. Sorts our experience issue, 100+ FG games, Origin, Kangaroos. I like the bloke but it's pie in the sky I think.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:29 pm I wouldn’t be looking at Cotric - we need pace. Savage it a huge tick but I want another flyer on the end of the backline. I think Cotric has gone from Blues winger to struggling to be in the top 10 in the game. Definitely not in my top 5 wingers.
Who didn't predict that going to the Dogs would be career suicide?!?!?
You dont come into the league as a 19-20yr old, ball out, play rep footy, then turn to trash overnight without there being a reason. Id say going from a team on the rise, to the Dog house, is a good reason.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:23 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:29 pm I wouldn’t be looking at Cotric - we need pace. Savage it a huge tick but I want another flyer on the end of the backline. I think Cotric has gone from Blues winger to struggling to be in the top 10 in the game. Definitely not in my top 5 wingers.
You dont come into the league as a 19-20yr old, ball out, play rep footy, then turn to trash overnight without there being a reason. Id say going from a team on the rise, to the Dog house, is a good reason.
Ironically if you look at the Doggies recruitment and getting Gus on board there is a fair case to say they are about to rise from where they are but I’m not sure Nick will be on that bus.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:55 pm
Raider47 wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:14 pm Wonder if we'd go in for Cotric at all, seeing as though he is potentially on the outer at the Dogs?

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Cotric
6. Wighton
7. Pearce
8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Hodgson
15. Kris
16. Guler
17. Sutton

18. Rapana
19. Schnieder
20. Horsburgh
21. Mooney
22. Simonsson
23. Valemei
24. James
25. Frawley

That would be an extraordinary bit of wheeler dealing. HSS and Savage look quick, Cotric + Timoko would be a speed upgrade on Rapana/Croker at any rate.

Seems a bit of a luxury though and not sure he'd drop his price by enough- he's no longer a boom top 3 winger, still good but he'd need to come down a couple hundred k from his last deal. Sorts our experience issue, 100+ FG games, Origin, Kangaroos. I like the bloke but it's pie in the sky I think.
Id do a little bit of positional reshuffling, but as a top 25 I like it. Add those 4 young kids takes us to 29. Sammy is 30. Ideally, we dont re-sign Frawley, so its 29 again, but i doubt it.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Nick is very very close with his family, his Dad in particular (friend of an old colleague is friends with Nick). I actually wonder if he'd jump at the chance to come back.

We might also have another 5/8 in the form of Junior Paulo coming back as well... Seriously, his ability to run at the line and produce offloads would be handy given the direction the game has gone with Vlandysball.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I think everyone identified immediately that there was a high likelihood that Cotric's career would stall at a wooden spoon club.

He is a good player, but not a needle mover.

Ultimately — now that the club seems to have committed to regenerating our outside backs stocks — letting go of Cotric is looking like a perfectly acceptable move.
Up The Milk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Letting go of him at that price point was always the right move.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Savage should play wing not full back. We see these days just how valuable wingers are.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Lamenting Actions wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:33 pm Nick is very very close with his family, his Dad in particular (friend of an old colleague is friends with Nick). I actually wonder if he'd jump at the chance to come back.

We might also have another 5/8 in the form of Junior Paulo coming back as well... Seriously, his ability to run at the line and produce offloads would be handy given the direction the game has gone with Vlandysball.
Where's this Junior Paulo coming from? We're buying more middles?

I taught Nick in high school and I concur- he was a really good egg as a young fella, he did mention working in the family shop, no big head or getting into trouble.

Ricky doesn't bring players back a lot though. He seems more hardline, you're either in with us or seeya mate.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:57 pm
I think everyone identified immediately that there was a high likelihood that Cotric's career would stall at a wooden spoon club.

He is a good player, but not a needle mover.

Ultimately — now that the club seems to have committed to regenerating our outside backs stocks — letting go of Cotric is looking like a perfectly acceptable move.
Well, there's not quite a black or white there..

Would Nic Cotric drag a team with awful halves, no strike and a poorly managed forward pack to glory- nope.

Would be improve results in a team with less blatant and widespread deficiencies? Maybe.

He's a winger. No one ever bought a winger and thought it would make all the difference. But sometimes a Sivo, or Morris or Rapa year can really make a difference.

Think about the (at least) 2 games we blew in 2020 by playing Rapana on the left when he was a crock and kept trying to put the ball down with the wrong hand and blowing it- week after week in true Ricky fashion. We finished 5th and would easily have been top 4 and a whole new look at the finals...

That's a massive difference, identifiable in just a few games. It's not as binary as "turn team to champions" or not.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

BadnMean wrote: August 24, 2021, 4:51 pm
Lamenting Actions wrote: August 24, 2021, 2:33 pm Nick is very very close with his family, his Dad in particular (friend of an old colleague is friends with Nick). I actually wonder if he'd jump at the chance to come back.

Where's this Junior Paulo coming from? We're buying more middles?

I taught Nick in high school and I concur- he was a really good egg as a young fella, he did mention working in the family shop, no big head or getting into trouble.

Ricky doesn't bring players back a lot though. He seems more hardline, you're either in with us or seeya mate.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34743&

Classic Canberra. Everyone knows someone somehow. And, yes, that is true about Stick. They were all like that back then too. Clyde, Belcher, Mal, Daley, even Mullins (the McLinden issue aside he saw out his career under Stuart). They stuck to each other like glue.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bay53 wrote: August 24, 2021, 4:40 pm Savage should play wing not full back. We see these days just how valuable wingers are.
I'd give him a crack at fullback first. If he's not cutting the mustard there, he can always revert back to the wing.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:33 pm
Bay53 wrote: August 24, 2021, 4:40 pm Savage should play wing not full back. We see these days just how valuable wingers are.
I'd give him a crack at fullback first. If he's not cutting the mustard there, he can always revert back to the wing.
This is very much a case of letting him fail into a winger from Fullback.
you have to give him the opportunity in a key position. His talent is electric and he's still so young, the skill set he needs for fullback could very well be there. Gotta give him a shot
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's one of those guys that really took a leap when he got that first grade shot. I'm happy to ease in certain players from the wing or off the bench but the way he plays you've got to get more ball in his hands.
My only concern is his shoulder until he gets more experience with the contact. Think we're in for a couple of years of on and off niggles. As long as those legs stay healthy. Phwoar.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:08 pm
you have to give him the opportunity in a key position. His talent is electric and he's still so young, the skill set he needs for fullback could very well be there. Gotta give him a shot
We need to get over the idea that wingers are just lesser full backs. I think you want Savage where he is going to get some space.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bay53 wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:11 pm
We need to get over the idea that wingers are just lesser full backs. I think you want Savage where he is going to get some space.
FB is a top 2, at worst top 3 position. You need game changers in that position. Our other FBs are not game changers, Savage is. There is more space at FB that wing. Wingers only see space when players inside them create it, something our team isnt doing. At FB, you can inject yourself when you see it. OR, like he did for the Wighton try, create it from an offload.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's not what im saying
Savage has an electric skill set, and ideally you want to put him in a position where he can touch the ball as much as possible. We saw in his small stint at fullback what impact a fullback with speed and the instincts to sniff around for offloads can do. That's a vital part of the game. My thing is, and i've said it 1000 times... if you cant ball play, i cant have you in the fullback spot unless my halves are incredible creators (see how Edwards with Penrith works because of Cleary/Luai both being excellent ball players)
I dont know if Savage can or can't do that. If he can, he's too good and too dynamic not to play at fullback.
If he can't, you sit him down and say "forget fullback, we want you to be Addo Carr on the wing"

It's really that simple for me
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: August 25, 2021, 7:26 am

FB is a top 2, at worst top 3 position. You need game changers in that position. Our other FBs are not game changers, Savage is. There is more space at FB that wing. Wingers only see space when players inside them create it, something our team isnt doing. At FB, you can inject yourself when you see it. OR, like he did for the Wighton try, create it from an offload.
Yep. We lack spark and creativity. Savage isn't a ball playing answer but he can create something through sheer speed. He's a point of difference in an otherise pedestrian attacking outfit- a bit like we used to just rely on BJ or Rapa to create something from nothing in their own special way while everybody else ground away.

It'd be a bold, aggressive move by Ricky do displace the relative safety, comfort blanket of CNK at the back though. I'm sure he'll get a run there in pre-season and hopefully impresses.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2021, 8:30 am
Yeah that's not what im saying
Savage has an electric skill set, and ideally you want to put him in a position where he can touch the ball as much as possible. We saw in his small stint at fullback what impact a fullback with speed and the instincts to sniff around for offloads can do. That's a vital part of the game. My thing is, and i've said it 1000 times... if you cant ball play, i cant have you in the fullback spot unless my halves are incredible creators (see how Edwards with Penrith works because of Cleary/Luai both being excellent ball players)
I dont know if Savage can or can't do that. If he can, he's too good and too dynamic not to play at fullback.
If he can't, you sit him down and say "forget fullback, we want you to be Addo Carr on the wing"

It's really that simple for me
For me, he is either Papenhuyzen or JAC. Pap is learning to ball play, but mostly he is an electric support runner. We have already seen a snippet of this from Savage. However, at worst, he is a JAC, because he has that kind of speed. We can do similar kicks for him etc, because he will outrun most wingers.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If CNK is fully fit and savage is fullback.

CNK is the first centre picked.

Honestly timokos inability to draw and pass is pretty damning. No point having a good running game if you are running into three defenders every time.