All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2022

Post by sprintman »

Bottom 4 next year. Anything better will be a bonus..
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

sprintman wrote: September 6, 2021, 5:02 pm Bottom 4 next year. Anything better will be a bonus..
Yep. Can't see us overtaking anyone in front of us. Knights, Sharks, Titans all look on the up with young teams and improving players. Then behind us are Broncos soon to improve with Reynolds, and Bulldogs with their whole roster revamp

If you don't evolve, you rot
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If we refuse to evolve then we are probably relying on the likes of Eels, Dragons and Knights to stagnate/go on a slide; and the likes of Bulldogs, Broncos, Cowboys, Warriors and Titans to not improve as quickly as they would hope.

Sure, without evolution we can still have reasonable expectations that the likes of Timoko, HSS and Savage will improve but I am not sure we will improve in the positions that matter the most.

Whilst we are encumbered by Ricky's tactics and bench management; a poor halves combo; and an ageing batch of first team regulars including EW, Hodgson, Rapana and maybe Croker — next year could be full of hurtin'
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Unless we find ball playing answers either through coaching, personnel changes or preferably both
It’s hard to imagine we’ll improve to a level of competing for a title

I think if we get nrl standard halfback, even one below average, we’d be better than this year and still be talented enough to push for a top 8 spot and pending injuries maybe jag one because I don’t think the competition will be much stiffer than it is this year and we didn’t miss by much this year

But is that the goal? Is that the kpi we should be setting?
Not imo
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

We could actually be a top four side again as soon as next year, and if not, the year after with the right recruitment/retention decisions and a change in approach. I just don't have a lot of confidence that we'll make those moves.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Does anyone know how the draw for 2022 will be done? This year we played Melbourne, Roosters, Parra, Newcastle and Manly twice. Also GC and Cronulla. Not an excuse though but our draw in the last 2 years was tough. In 2020 clubs had to nominate 5 teams after COVID hit to play twice.

I think Bulldogs will improve, so will Brisbane. St George as well - they were on track for the 8 until the BBQ hit.

Cronulla will improve with Fitzgibbon, Hynes and Finucane.

I see Cowboys and West Tigers still being in the bottom 4. We will be 10-13th place.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s ok boys in 2018 we finished 10th and thought we had no hope and then the next year we made the GF.

In 2021 we finish 10th again so you know what next year will bring…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

In 2019 we landed John Bateman. In 2022, he will not be there and we are yet to make a single signing. In 2019 we had a better half in Sezer, who is also no longer with us.

We finished tenth this year and I see the Bulldogs and Broncos both leaping us next year. Sharks will improve and Knights will probably fall but not as far as us. We will be in a fight with the Tigers, Cowboys and Warriors for last place. We will improve in the outside backs but keep falling in positions of need ie, the spine.

To highlight the dumbness of our team, against the Roosters last week we bombed to Daniel Tupou's wing on several occasions instead of Matt Ikavalu, who is much shorter than Tupou.

Our recruitment manager Peter Mulholland has been fighting illness for some time. I wonder if this has impacted our recruitment, or lack thereof as he is widely regarded as one of the best in the business.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

If the tigers punt Madge I'd like to see him in an assistant role, I know he hasn't covered himself in glory lately but I also think he could bring a point of difference to our staff

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

bonehead wrote: September 7, 2021, 1:02 pm If the tigers punt Madge I'd like to see him in an assistant role, I know he hasn't covered himself in glory lately but I also think he could bring a point of difference to our staff

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I've thought of this. I actually think Stick would listen more to what he has to say as well over any of the other assistants, or at least that's the vibe I get. Be a potent combo in the sheds for player confidence. Madge already makes me feel like throwing myself over a grenade for him after watching Tiger Town.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Expect quite a few players to hit the market as clubs embark on end of season clean outs. Given our lack of recruitment to date you'd think the Raiders will be quite active when that happens as there's going to be quite a few holes to fill. GWilly, Scott, Havili all gone. Lui, Sia, Aekins and James potentially following. Croker looks cooked. Not sure where things are at with Hodgo.

Guys like Timoko, HSS and Savage should fill some voids in the backline. Still room to add some depth there for either competition or back up duties. Might need to bring in a few forwards to cover likely departures.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 1:53 pm Expect quite a few players to hit the market as clubs embark on end of season clean outs. Given our lack of recruitment to date you'd think the Raiders will be quite active when that happens as there's going to be quite a few holes to fill. GWilly, Scott, Havili all gone. Lui, Sia, Aekins and James potentially following. Croker looks cooked. Not sure where things are at with Hodgo.

Guys like Timoko, HSS and Savage should fill some voids in the backline. Still room to add some depth there for either competition or back up duties. Might need to bring in a few forwards to cover likely departures.
If it were up to me, I'd be focusing on re-signing Starling and Harawira-Naera before they hit the market if possible. I would extend Sutton if the money is sensible. I would hold onto James if he's willing to sign on for less but he will probably receive offers elsewhere. I'd be telling Horsburgh that we won't be offering him a contract unless it's on minimum and I'd allow Hodgson to go to market... there's only room for Hodgson if he's happy to extend for much less and I doubt he would be. Then I think I'd be making a big play come November for a Kikau, Crichton or Papali'i.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 7, 2021, 2:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 1:53 pm Expect quite a few players to hit the market as clubs embark on end of season clean outs. Given our lack of recruitment to date you'd think the Raiders will be quite active when that happens as there's going to be quite a few holes to fill. GWilly, Scott, Havili all gone. Lui, Sia, Aekins and James potentially following. Croker looks cooked. Not sure where things are at with Hodgo.

If it were up to me, I'd be focusing on re-signing Starling and Harawira-Naera before they hit the market if possible. I would extend Sutton if the money is sensible. I would hold onto James if he's willing to sign on for less but he will probably receive offers elsewhere. I'd be telling Horsburgh that we won't be offering him a contract unless it's on minimum and I'd allow Hodgson to go to market... there's only room for Hodgson if he's happy to extend for much less and I doubt he would be. Then I think I'd be making a big play come November for a Kikau, Crichton or Papali'i.
I get the feeling Hodgo could sign elsewhere for 2023 and be granted an early release. Quite possible we could pick somebody up in similar circumstances and see them on our 2022 roster. November is going to see a lot of activity in the player market.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 2:21 pm

I get the feeling Hodgo could sign elsewhere for 2023 and be granted an early release. Quite possible we could pick somebody up in similar circumstances and see them on our 2022 roster. November is going to see a lot of activity in the player market.
It would make zero sense to extend him at this stage. Letting Hodgson sign elsewhere for 2023 and releasing him early in 2022 seems like the most obvious roster move available to us - he would immediately improve a number of squads in the NRL and for that reason I don't think there would be a shortage of clubs that would want to take him next year on an early release.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

It would make zero sense to extend him at this stage. Letting Hodgson sign elsewhere for 2023 and releasing him early in 2022 seems like the most obvious roster move available to us - he would immediately improve a number of squads in the NRL and for that reason I don't think there would be a shortage of clubs that would want to take him next year on an early release.
Unless letting hodgson go improves us I don't see it happening till his contract is up, and frankly given the lack of organisational halves out there it'd be silly to do it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

VictorTheViking wrote: September 7, 2021, 2:48 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:

Unless letting hodgson go improves us I don't see it happening till his contract is up, and frankly given the lack of organisational halves out there it'd be silly to do it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
It would improve us immensely. We've decided that Starling is our hooker. The money that we would free up would allow us to sign a player in a position of need.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

But who will do the "game management" ie crash balls and kicking on the 3rd
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I am starting to change my position on Hodgson.

Whilst I think in an alternate universe Hodgo may have made a decent stopgap halfback, I think he might represent the perfect example where it is mutually beneficial for both parties to go their separate ways.

He still has something to offer I think and I am sure there are a handful of clubs who would pick him up.

But to me he is so inextricably tied to our floundering conservative crash-Rickyball garbage that we might need some clear air from Hodgson before we can evolve.

He has been a wonderful player for us and one of our best signings - but we have to realise that by 2022...2016 (and even 2019) are light years away in footy terms.

The fact we are starting to look better with Starling is another giveaway.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

7. Wighton
6. Soliola

imo
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:45 pm I am starting to change my position on Hodgson.

Whilst I think in an alternate universe Hodgo may have made a decent stopgap halfback, I think he might represent the perfect example where it is mutually beneficial for both parties to go their separate ways.

He still has something to offer I think and I am sure there are a handful of clubs who would pick him up.

But to me he is so inextricably tied to our floundering conservative crash-Rickyball garbage that we might need some clear air from Hodgson before we can evolve.

He has been a wonderful player for us and one of our best signings - but we have to realise that by 2022...2016 (and even 2019) are light years away in footy terms.

The fact we are starting to look better with Starling is another giveaway.
The only club that would be extending Hodgson if they found themselves in the position we're in would be the Tigers. Dead set. Every other club in our position would let him go.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

I was thinking the Tigers as well.

I would have taken a flyer on Tariq Sims before re-signing Soliola. He would be a great bench impact player for us. Much better than Whitehead.

As far as players being available for November, that's for 2023, not next year. We could be in for a real lean year next year.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

legend wrote: September 7, 2021, 4:11 pm I was thinking the Tigers as well.

I would have taken a flyer on Tariq Sims before re-signing Soliola. He would be a great bench impact player for us. Much better than Whitehead.

As far as players being available for November, that's for 2023, not next year. We could be in for a real lean year next year.
They have the Raiders as the number one likely destination in the article. Probably unlikely to happen though.

Five potential landing spots for Tariq Sims

I don't believe the Raiders roster is settled for 2022. Far from it. I also don't believe the Raiders ever really replaced the brilliant John Bateman. Sims is the exact kind of player Canberra needs. He runs straight and he hits hard.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/five-potenti ... -109541/5/
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

BadnMean wrote: September 2, 2021, 9:31 pm I'm hopeful 2022 will see Hodgson play a reduced role.

I'm not sure what he is supposed to add to the team anymore. Defensive liability. Can't run. Game suits faster hookers. His decision making is poor- constant miskicks into legs, miskicks on the 3rd.

Twice tonight he opted to send us down a short side toward the side we were missing a centre who just carried the ball... Just stupidity. And the crash ball on the 4th AFTER a Tapine half break just did me in.

I'm out of the Hodgo camp. He offers nothing and the longer we persist pretending it's his window the further we reduce our chances of renewal.
He is awful and a complete liability. It blows my mind there are still fans who think he's a gun...
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The perfect scenario would be:

A player swap between the Raiders and Warriors.
Josh Hodgson —> Chanel Tevita-Harris

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dusty wrote: September 10, 2021, 11:08 am The perfect scenario would be:

He'd go well with Charnze Klokstadd-Nicoll, Corey Naera-Harawira, and Harley Shields-Smith
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finchy wrote:
Dusty wrote: September 10, 2021, 11:08 am The perfect scenario would be:

He'd go well with Charnze Klokstadd-Nicoll, Corey Naera-Harawira, and Harley Shields-Smith
In that last game Warren Smith kept calling HSS Shields-Smith..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I’m 100% ready for the Seahawks to establish the running game.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: September 10, 2021, 4:42 pm I’m 100% ready for the Seahawks to establish the running game.
Wrong thread :roflmao
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Matt wrote:
reptar wrote: September 10, 2021, 4:42 pm I’m 100% ready for the Seahawks to establish the running game.
Wrong thread :roflmao
Nope. See above!!!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:46 pm 7. Wighton
6. Soliola

imo
I like this :roflmao
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

Clay Webb. I can see from the contracted players thread that he is contracted to 2023 as a development player. Has anyone seen him play and will he figure in our 2022 squad.

https://www.zerotackle.com/five-nsw-cup ... on-109689/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KasparRaider wrote: September 12, 2021, 1:19 am Clay Webb. I can see from the contracted players thread that he is contracted to 2023 as a development player. Has anyone seen him play and will he figure in our 2022 squad.

https://www.zerotackle.com/five-nsw-cup ... on-109689/
Seen him play lots. I rate him highly. Captain of our SG Ball premiership team this year. Had five NSW cup games:

https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/canter ... 1631390031

Mooney in front but he’s got plenty of time to develop.

I thought Caleb Esera was also in front myself, but the club doesn’t seem to have exactly the same view:

Esera had three NSW Cup games: https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/canter ... 1631390031
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Lamenting Actions wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:52 am
legend wrote: September 7, 2021, 4:11 pm I was thinking the Tigers as well.

They have the Raiders as the number one likely destination in the article. Probably unlikely to happen though.

Five potential landing spots for Tariq Sims

I don't believe the Raiders roster is settled for 2022. Far from it. I also don't believe the Raiders ever really replaced the brilliant John Bateman. Sims is the exact kind of player Canberra needs. He runs straight and he hits hard.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/five-potenti ... -109541/5/
Havili, Lui, Soliola (I hope), and James probably won't be here next year. Say what you will about them, but they also represent a fair bit of experience and known as good club men. We don't want to fall into the same trap as the Broncos where they allowed so much experience to walk out the door and hoped the younger players could step up.

Sims seems like he would be a good replacement in terms of experience. Given the way he's been treated by the Dragons, this could be the home he's looking to bring his heart to as well.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: September 12, 2021, 8:44 am Havili, Lui, Soliola (I hope), and James probably won't be here next year. Say what you will about them, but they also represent a fair bit of experience and known as good club men. We don't want to fall into the same trap as the Broncos where they allowed so much experience to walk out the door and hoped the younger players could step up.

Sims seems like he would be a good replacement in terms of experience. Given the way he's been treated by the Dragons, this could be the home he's looking to bring his heart to as well.
According to The CT... if Ryan James leaves, Dunamis gets another year.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dunamis is obviously a good clubman and on a low wage, if we lose both Sia and James I think it’s good to have an experienced old head pushing for a spot in the 17. However, If Sia stays, then I don’t think we need Lui.

I think Sia needs to let Tapine and Papa step up to become the forward leaders off the field.