All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022

Post by julian87 »

Savage has to be given the opportunity at fullback. But he's not really been a fullback before so it's a big dice roll. If Cotric doesn't happen I'd like to see him and CNK alternating between fullback and wing.

Cotric in and CNK to centre makes CNK's value decrease imo.

If you can swap out Simo for Cotric with only a 150k hit or so it's a no brainer but funnily enough I'm not sure I like the look of the lineup with him in it more given BS wouldn't be in the top line-up and imo would isolate Savage and CNK a bit.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm just not sure Ricky is ready to supplant CNK.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

julian87 wrote: November 28, 2021, 6:22 pm Savage has to be given the opportunity at fullback. But he's not really been a fullback before so it's a big dice roll. If Cotric doesn't happen I'd like to see him and CNK alternating between fullback and wing.

If you can swap out Simo for Cotric with only a 150k hit or so it's a no brainer but funnily enough I'm not sure I like the look of the lineup with him in it more given BS wouldn't be in the top line-up and imo would isolate Savage and CNK a bit.
I think CNK starts at FB for now just to see how HSS/Kris/Timoko go as the centre pairing

Croker needs to retire because he will stunt the development of players in his spot

My prediction for Round 1: (10th prediction)

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. HSS
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young
14. Savage
15. Sutton
16. Hola
17. Guler

Depth:
Forwards - Elliott, Horsborough, Rushton, Mariota, Webb, Starling, Mooney

Backs - Anderson, Hopoate, Schneider, Morkos, Timoko, Frawley, Croker, Williams, Valemei
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Sthsea22 wrote: November 29, 2021, 11:31 am
julian87 wrote: November 28, 2021, 6:22 pm Savage has to be given the opportunity at fullback. But he's not really been a fullback before so it's a big dice roll. If Cotric doesn't happen I'd like to see him and CNK alternating between fullback and wing.

I think CNK starts at FB for now just to see how HSS/Kris/Timoko go as the centre pairing

Croker needs to retire because he will stunt the development of players in his spot

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. HSS
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young
14. Savage
15. Sutton
16. Hola
17. Guler

Depth:

Backs - Anderson, Hopoate, Schneider, Morkos, Timoko, Frawley, Croker, Williams, Valemei
No Starling?

In any event whatever slight variation to what you list, I dare say, is better than any side we fielded at any point in 2021.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

benda wrote: November 29, 2021, 3:50 pm

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. HSS
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young
14. Savage
15. Sutton
16. Hola
17. Guler

Depth:

No Starling?

In any event whatever slight variation to what you list, I dare say, is better than any side we fielded at any point in 2021.
Would love to see Savage come on when the opposition forwards become tired
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Sthsea22 wrote: November 29, 2021, 4:02 pm
benda wrote: November 29, 2021, 3:50 pm

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. HSS
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young
14. Savage
15. Sutton
16. Hola
17. Guler

Depth:

No Starling?

Would love to see Savage come on when the opposition forwards become tired
There has been talk on here about CNK playing centres and giving Savage a run at fullback. I dont think that combo wins is a premiership.

Savage in the side does no harm. Question will be where. So i do understand where you are coming from.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

What Ricky does and what many want will be different. Ricky will be conservative and look to experience first up.

I’d go:

1. CNK
2. Savage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Mooney
16. Tapine
17. Guler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I have legitimately not seen one poster nominate Croker in their preferred starting 17 for 2022.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: November 30, 2021, 8:59 am I have legitimately not seen one poster nominate Croker in their preferred starting 17 for 2022.
I dont think that's very surprising. Everyone can plainly see what stage of his career he is at, and short of this latest medical procedure working miracles, that's not going to change.
Assuming no medical miracle is on the table, the club and player know where he is at too, and I'm sure they're working through a process on that. The fans aren't going to like parts of this process, however if this is going i believe it to be going, it's a necessary step in the process and one we're just going to hopefully deal with for a small period of time... however that's largely speculative, he has a contract that pays him a lot of money and he has a coach who i dont think will have the stones to send him to reserve grade if he does indeed want to play out his contract and/or no medical retirement is forthcoming.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Dusty wrote: November 30, 2021, 7:42 am What Ricky does and what many want will be different. Ricky will be conservative and look to experience first up.

I’d go:

1. CNK
2. Savage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Mooney
16. Tapine
17. Guler

As much as I'd prefer to see Whitehead in 13, I doubt Ricky will go that way. If we're predicting a conservative Ricky side for round one, I'd have Whitehead in the second row and Adam Elliott in the side somewhere. If he's not there in round one, he'll be first cab off the rank of a forward is dropped or injured imo.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Teams that do great things drop great clubmen and top blokes if they're not up to it

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I cannot imagine having a worse side than Adam Elliott in the 2nd row with Whitehead, Croker and Kris at centre, with Semi on the wing.

And we had to put up with Curtis Scott for the last 1.5 years - at least he's gone.

I also hope Sammy Williams doesn't play more than one game in 2022. Hopefully it's the last round match when we are resting players.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Dusty wrote: November 30, 2021, 7:42 am What Ricky does and what many want will be different. Ricky will be conservative and look to experience first up.

I’d go:

1. CNK
2. Savage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Mooney
16. Tapine
17. Guler

As much as I'd prefer to see Whitehead in 13, I doubt Ricky will go that way. If we're predicting a conservative Ricky side for round one, I'd have Whitehead in the second row and Adam Elliott in the side somewhere. If he's not there in round one, he'll be first cab off the rank of a forward is dropped or injured imo.
Agreed… The side listed is what I would run with.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Five rookies to watch at every NRL club

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Five rookies to watch at every NRL club

Raiders

Brad Morkos: An Illawarra junior who was a member of that gun SG Ball team that won the comp alongside the likes of Tyrell Sloan, Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan and the Feagai twins. There were plenty of raised eyebrows when the Raiders snuck in and pinched the Australian Schoolboy who also played NSW 18s. Plays in the centres, has good balance and speed and it wouldn’t surprise to see him get an NRL start at some stage next season.

Adrian Trevilyan: This is the youngster Peter Mulholland signed from Kirwin State High in Townsville that Andrew Voss rated the best schoolboy hooker he’s ever called, which dates back to the early 1990s. Like a lot of the youngsters his development has suffered from not playing enough footy during the Covid shutdown, but will be challenging for the No.9 NRL starting jumper in the next 12 months.

Trey Mooney: Still only 19 and was the best player in the Raiders’ SG Ball side that won the comp playing in the middle. Now they say the former Parramatta junior is seriously in the conversation to win a first grade spot in 2022 after being elevated into the top-30. Tough, dedicated and determined.

Harry Rushton: Another English recruit from Wigan who plays in the middle and still only 20. With a few of the Raiders senior forwards now gone there is a real opening for a couple of these youngsters to make their mark and Rushton will be right in the mix.

Brock Gardner: Another young forward who was a Newcastle junior and then went to South Sydney but had no luck when doing his Achilles last pre-season. Has ended up in Canberra and while the competition for back row spots is fierce, Gardner will be in the fight at some stage.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7029bdc94a
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: NRL 2022: Five rookies to watch at every NRL club

Post by Toviii »

Forgot we signed Brock Gardner - wonder if he will come into FG contention at some stage during the year
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every NRL club’s big Christmas wish for the 2022 season

Canberra Raiders Christmas wishlist: Jack Wighton to come alive

The 2020 Dally M Medal winner fell off the form cliff this year as Ricky’s Raiders struggled to replicate their success of recent years. It’s a matter of when Jack Wighton fires, so does Canberra, and unfortunately for the Green Machine faithful he barely fired a shot in 2021. The premiership window looks closed for the Raiders unless Wighton can recapture his scintillating form of 2019-20.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 996017953d
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Five rookies to watch at every NRL club

Post by Matt »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: December 7, 2021, 8:21 am Five rookies to watch at every NRL club

Raiders

Brad Morkos
Adrian Trevilyan
Trey Mooney
Harry Rushton
Brock Gardner

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7029bdc94a
This is actually a pretty solid list of youngsters
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The more I think about our 2022 lineup I think I am inclined to go with the below;

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nic Cotric
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamaal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Adam Elliott
13. Elliott Whitehead (c)

14. Tom Starling
15. Seb Kris
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Hudson Young

I'm really hoping we have a couple of young forwards that can push for a middle or edge spot by mid-year. With Cotric back Savage probably doesn't have a wing spot for now so I'm finally in the same club as those who want him starting at fullback.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If all players are fit and available Ricky will start with:

1 - CNK
2 - Cotric
3 - Croker
4 - Kris
5 - Rapa

The only player under any pressure in that 5 is Kris with Timoko nipping at his heals. Savage and HSS still being‘developed’.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Listening to the Christmas edition of the GMP, Brett White pretty much said that there is no chance CNK is not playing at fullback next year. He also said that Xavier Savage had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Normally the injury he had is something they'd treat with rest and rehab, but it was so serious it required surgery. So by the sounds, he'll be eased back in. Also indicated that Savage is young and has plenty of time to develop.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2021, 2:03 pm Listening to the Christmas edition of the GMP, Brett White pretty much said that there is no chance CNK is not playing at fullback next year. He also said that Xavier Savage had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Normally the injury he had is something they'd treat with rest and rehab, but it was so serious it required surgery. So by the sounds, he'll be eased back in. Also indicated that Savage is young and has plenty of time to develop.
That would be completely in keeping with Ricky's pretty conservative methods. In that case the best we can hope for is...

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Timoko
4. HSS
5. Rapana

14. Savage. With Savage getting a half dozen games when Rapa or CNK get worn down.

Which has plenty of power in it and will break some tackles. Little bit light on for speed though perhaps- but HSS and Timoko both look to be several yards quicker than Scott/Croker. So it's a net win on that front I think.

If that sprint academy managed to put a yard on CNK it'd be handy.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

greeneyed wrote:Listening to the Christmas edition of the GMP, Brett White pretty much said that there is no chance CNK is not playing at fullback next year. He also said that Xavier Savage had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Normally the injury he had is something they'd treat with rest and rehab, but it was so serious it required surgery. So by the sounds, he'll be eased back in. Also indicated that Savage is young and has plenty of time to develop.
Well thats it then, savage to the Roosters, Broncs or Dolphins.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Question wrote: December 27, 2021, 3:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:Listening to the Christmas edition of the GMP, Brett White pretty much said that there is no chance CNK is not playing at fullback next year. He also said that Xavier Savage had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Normally the injury he had is something they'd treat with rest and rehab, but it was so serious it required surgery. So by the sounds, he'll be eased back in. Also indicated that Savage is young and has plenty of time to develop.
Well thats it then, savage to the Roosters, Broncs or Dolphins.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Between HSS, Timoko and Kris I think we will struggle to keep all 3.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t need to keep Kris.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: December 27, 2021, 2:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2021, 2:03 pm Listening to the Christmas edition of the GMP, Brett White pretty much said that there is no chance CNK is not playing at fullback next year. He also said that Xavier Savage had a pretty serious shoulder injury. Normally the injury he had is something they'd treat with rest and rehab, but it was so serious it required surgery. So by the sounds, he'll be eased back in. Also indicated that Savage is young and has plenty of time to develop.
That would be completely in keeping with Ricky's pretty conservative methods. In that case the best we can hope for is...

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Timoko
4. HSS
5. Rapana

14. Savage. With Savage getting a half dozen games when Rapa or CNK get worn down.

Which has plenty of power in it and will break some tackles. Little bit light on for speed though perhaps- but HSS and Timoko both look to be several yards quicker than Scott/Croker. So it's a net win on that front I think.

If that sprint academy managed to put a yard on CNK it'd be handy.
I hope this is what the plan is. Though I'm 100% in the Savage to FB camp.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: December 27, 2021, 9:47 am If all players are fit and available Ricky will start with:

1 - CNK
2 - Cotric
3 - Croker
4 - Kris
5 - Rapa

The only player under any pressure in that 5 is Kris with Timoko nipping at his heals. Savage and HSS still being‘developed’.
I can't see Ricky starting Kris ahead of Timoko at right centre. It feels like Timoko now has a run on the position.

Apart from that, that's probably what we'll get.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kris is behind HSS and Timoko, no doubt, IMO.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Doubt Kris will be competing with HSS. The latter will have a bigger battle on his hands trying to unseat Cotric and Rapana IMO.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

HSS is a centre first. Wing/fullback second.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The outside backs are going to be a problem for this fan base this year, myself included, we're going to argue a lot about them i think

I think they'll at least start the season looking like this:
1. CNK 2. Rapana 3. Croker 4. ?? 5. Cotric

HSS, Timoko, Kris... i think pre season will determine that final spot... IMO Savage, Rapana, Cotric and CNK should be locks, and right now i've got both HSS asnd Timoko well ahead of Kris and Valemi. I agree with alksalka that Timoko would the favouite for the #4 jersey, and i think rightly so.

Edit: Should Rapana recieve a suspension for his DUI, then i guess that's one problem solved early, HSS is a natural and easy selection there.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

zim wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:14 pm HSS is a centre first. Wing/fullback second.
Whatever he may or may not have been in lower grades is largely irrelevant come first grade.

In the NRL, I doubt we'll see him play regularly at centre next year. He looks and plays like a winger.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:14 pm HSS is a centre first. Wing/fullback second.
Word.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:17 pm The outside backs are going to be a problem for this fan base this year, myself included, we're going to argue a lot about them i think

I think they'll at least start the season looking like this:
1. CNK 2. Rapana 3. Croker 4. ?? 5. Cotric

HSS, Timoko, Kris... i think pre season will determine that final spot... IMO Savage, Rapana, Cotric and CNK should be locks, and right now i've got both HSS asnd Timoko well ahead of Kris and Valemi. I agree with alksalka that Timoko would the favouite for the #4 jersey, and i think rightly so.

Edit: Should Rapana recieve a suspension for his DUI, then i guess that's one problem solved early, HSS is a natural and easy selection there.
HSS and Timoko well in front of Kris and Valemei now, IMO, regardless of the position in the outside backs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:23 pm
Whatever he may or may not have been in lower grades is largely irrelevant come first grade.

In the NRL, I doubt we'll see him play regularly at centre next year. He looks and plays like a winger.
Because you’ve only ever seen him play as a winger?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d like to see Timoko in the 4 jumper as a lock for the season and HSS in the 3. I’d have CNK and Kris as back ups and I wouldn’t let Croker near the starting side. With everyone fit, I think there is a very good chance Croker will be 3 and Kris very much in the picture for 4. I agree with Botman the back 5 will be troublesome this year.